Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Sockmuppet posted:

If you've got a breech baby, I can whole-heartedly recommend attempting an external version, if you can find someone trained to do it. I had it done, it was one of the weirdest experiences of my life, but it got the baby turned around in 15 minutes, and I had an uncomplicated delivery a few weeks later. They monitor you and the baby very carefully throughout, and will stop the procedure at the slightest hint of distress. Apparently it's not super common, so the room was full of obstetricians wanting to learn from the one lady who was an expert baby flipper :)

Yep we are going to if she still hasn't flipped but 34 weeks is too early it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Yep we are going to if she still hasn't flipped but 34 weeks is too early it sounds like.

Oh, yeah, at that stage they still have space to right themselves naturally, and to flip back again if turned. We had it done at 37,5 weeks. She'd been sitting firmly on her butt for months on end, and it was so cramped in there by that point that the odds of her turning around by herself were extremely slim.Good luck, I hope your daughter sees the error of her ways and flips around by herself while there's still time! While the procedure itself was quick and easy and frankly pretty cool, I had to fast for 12 hours beforehand because of the rare chance that fetal distress would require an emergency C-section, and being massively pregnant and not being allowed to eat or drink for 12 hours was sheer torture.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
Just looking for a little advice re: newborn sickness. Ours was born Dec 28 so she's about 7-1/2 weeks old.

She caught what we're pretty sure is a cold from her cousin who she tends to be around a few days a week due to work schedules. She's got a dry cough, congestion, and more sneezing than usual. No fever though. Are we doing the right thing by simply occasionally sucking the snots out of her nose when she sounds really congested and otherwise just keeping her warm and comfy? It hasn't really affected her eating at all other than when she has trouble breathing through her nose (hence the snot-removal, or attempts at it at least), she's not running a fever as of last night, and despite being sick she's just starting to learn how to smile and really engage us, so all seems relatively well.

Also, being exclusively bottle-fed, we've bounced around formulas somewhat. We tried a couple Similac ones but they foamed like crazy when mixed and that seemed to upset her tummy. Since then, we've used Emfamil AR (gave her awful constipation and harder-than-we're-comfortable-with poops) and Emfamil Gentlease (still having some constipation issues). Now we're on Enfamil Reguline for the last week, and at first it cleared up the constipation and gave her good soft, slightly runny poops. Last night though she had her first real diarrhea, like we're talking mostly water. She still ate normally though and this morning she had a less-liquid-than-usual poop to counterbalance it. Could this be related to her being sick,?

We've been consulting with her pediatrician on all of this, mind you, just looking for other opinions as well to reassure the fiance (and myself, really).

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Here is my experience with breech babies.

My 2nd baby flipped all around, full on summersaults up till the last day at 40 weeks. I went in for my dr appointment, she was sideways, the next day I went into labor, and she was head down, so I was able to have her vaginally.

My 3rd baby, also flipped all around. When I went into labor at 37 weeks, she was still flipping like crazy, we did do a version, but it didn't last, she moved back to sideways the next day. (They won't induce at 37 weeks, and the contractions stopped after that). At 39 weeks I was scheduled for another version, when I went in for my non stress test, I was having consistent contractions and she was head down, so NST sent me over to labor and delivery...of course by the time that happened, she flipped again and was no longer head down, but sideways again. So we opted for another version, and this time being 39 weeks they would induce me, however after after they do the version, they have to monitor the baby for an hour before they can start induction...and in that hour she flipped sideways again. At that point I was 3cm dilated and so we went with a c-section since she wouldn't stay head down. My baby flipped a lot because I had an excess amount of fluid. She was 8lbs 1oz, and it blows my mind looking at her that she was able to do somersaults daily.

The versions were very painful, but only took about 5 minutes each. They do have the risk of having your water break, and if your baby is breech, there is a chance of a cord prolapse, which would mean emergency c-section if the cord was to prolapse. If your baby flips all the time, chances are they will flip back to where they are most comfortable.

There was really nothing I could do to prevent her from flipping. It didn't matter if I walked more, slept more, rested, got on my hands and knees, etc. I tried a few of the spinning babies stuff. When she wanted to flip, she would flip, she had the room because I had the extra fluid, so really it was out of my control. She even tried to come out of the c-section wrong, they opened me up and she instantly stuck her hand out and they had to push her hand back in and pull her out feet first haha...crazy baby.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Corkscrew posted:

Just looking for a little advice re: newborn sickness. Ours was born Dec 28 so she's about 7-1/2 weeks old.

She caught what we're pretty sure is a cold from her cousin who she tends to be around a few days a week due to work schedules. She's got a dry cough, congestion, and more sneezing than usual. No fever though. Are we doing the right thing by simply occasionally sucking the snots out of her nose when she sounds really congested and otherwise just keeping her warm and comfy? It hasn't really affected her eating at all other than when she has trouble breathing through her nose (hence the snot-removal, or attempts at it at least), she's not running a fever as of last night, and despite being sick she's just starting to learn how to smile and really engage us, so all seems relatively well.
The fact that she's eating well and doesn't have a fever is a good sign. It sounds like you're basically doing what I've ever been advised by a pediatrician. My second caught a cold off of my first when he was a few weeks old, before he'd even reached his due date, and I was scared shitless at the very prospect. But his pediatrician just said to suction his nose if he'd tolerate it and sit in the bathroom with him while running the shower on hot to steam up the room and help clear him up. It worked well enough.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My experience with breech birth happened with my last pregnancy in 2012. Little Eowyn was firmly set on being rear end down and so they prepped me for a C-section. Thankfully I had an awesome doc who offered to let me at least try to deliver her breech since the angle she was at was favorable. It was honestly the easiest labor I ever had, even with my husband being dressed like a CSI in his paper onesie. She popped out with her feet by her ears and really, really pissed off. She was totally fine. The only three things that were awful were that I watched it in the overhead mirror and discovered how ugly my vagina looks at that angle, I had two do two sets of crowning for her butt and head, and...she pooped in me while coming out. That was the worst.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Update:
Wife was looking and feeling better, went to the doctors for followup checkup, doctor prodded a point on the c-section scar which, from what I understand, then exploded with nasty fluids, leaving a deep crater behind. The crater has been packed with gauze and will need to be carefully monitored and re-packed every day. Wife finally believed she was getting better, is no devastated by this new and terrible source of pain and crying constantly. Doctor set her up with a therapist though, on the basis that anyone who's been through this much would need one, which is good because despite calling a few places we hadn't made much progress our self.

Also she may have some long term thing where the uterine cells have infected the rest of her body but who knows where that will go.

I just want things to stop.

She's been trying to keep up on the breastpumping but still isn't really producing any more milk either. Less than half an ounce per pump.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

Sockmuppet posted:

If you've got a breech baby, I can whole-heartedly recommend attempting an external version, if you can find someone trained to do it. I had it done, it was one of the weirdest experiences of my life, but it got the baby turned around in 15 minutes, and I had an uncomplicated delivery a few weeks later. They monitor you and the baby very carefully throughout, and will stop the procedure at the slightest hint of distress. Apparently it's not super common, so the room was full of obstetricians wanting to learn from the one lady who was an expert baby flipper :)

The one thing I would add, people seem to have either really painful versions or really easy ones. I had one of the later, they got the Sprog turned around before I even knew they'd started. It's interesting you had so many observers, my practice treated it as a very routine thing, albeit a routine thing done in a hospital, just in case they need to do an emergency C-section.

GlyphGryph posted:

She's been trying to keep up on the breastpumping but still isn't really producing any more milk either. Less than half an ounce per pump.

I am really sorry about the setback in her recovery, the big thing is she needs to try and rest and heal. Don't worry about anything else! I always tell people the reason I breastfed was because it was easy, not because it was hard. Can you get any respite care?

Poison Cake fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 21, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Right now the breastpumping seems to be keeping her happy because at least she's doing something, even if the results are minimal, and hopefully providing some of those nice antibodies and stuff. She just wants to feel like she's contributing to actually taking care of the kid in some way.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

GlyphGryph posted:

Right now the breastpumping seems to be keeping her happy because at least she's doing something, even if the results are minimal, and hopefully providing some of those nice antibodies and stuff. She just wants to feel like she's contributing to actually taking care of the kid in some way.

Well that is good then. Sounds like even with all the pain stuff they are figuring out what is going on and I'm glad the Doctor prescribed therapy. Thanks for keeping us updated I think everyone in the thread is pulling for your family.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh god the insurance won't cover someone coming by to pack the wound everyday so I'm going to have to figure out how to do it and just watching it made me feel like I wanted to die. The amount of stuff I'd have to pack into her body through the whole a size of a finger. Apparently the wound is like a Tardis and is actually way way bigger on the inside. And the packing process is incredibly painful, even having taken a serious course of painkillers an hour beforehand as preparation she still had tears rolling down her face and was whimpering.

I don't think I can do this.

For the first time during this whole thing I think it may actually be too much for me.

I was dressing all her other wounds like a pro, but this...

Actually having to hurt her that much everyday, pulling out pus covered stuff and stuffing new stuff into her, everyday, holy gently caress. I could barely stand watching it and now I'm the one who's got to do it AND be the one who looks out for infection even though gently caress if I know what that would even look like. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Estimated recovery date has been extended to maybe a couple months out if ever?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2015

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Have you considered something like a GoFundMe? If your insurance won't cover that it's awful. You shouldn't have to be doing that!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

You could check with her doctors office, they might have other resources like a local outpatient wound clinic. Also, usually doctors offices will have a dedicated nurse who deals with insurance companies and many medical groups/hospitals have patient advocates. Let them fight for sorting out coverage on your behalf if at all possible. I'd imagine there's some way the doctor could word it so that a home nurse is medically necessary. No way should that be on your hands--you've got more than enough to deal with!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also I forgot to mention this but to top it off, the day the wife got out of the hospital my brother went into it... for the same exact thing, internal fluid sack infections. Just to be clear that apparently you don't need to have pregnancy or a c-section for all this stuff to happen. But I've been feeling guilty that I can't visit him because I'm still taking care of the wife.

Having a baby was a terrible decision. Little guy is lucky he's adorable.

Actual newborn question
Up until today the baby has been happy with roughly 2oz of formula every 2 hours. Today he won't settle for less than 3oz, preferably 4oz, and he wants it every hour to an hour and a half. Is this sort of a sudden jump normal or what's going on here?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 22, 2015

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Glyph, firstly I'm so sorry you have to deal with all this. What a nightmare. That insurance stuff is just not right, either. I hope you can somehow get some help.

For your question, I believe that sounds normal. At my prenatal class last week the midwife showed us the size of a newborn stomach, then how fast it grows over the next weeks. I'm only guessing, but I think it sounds like your baby is right on track.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Actual newborn question
Up until today the baby has been happy with roughly 2oz of formula every 2 hours. Today he won't settle for less than 3oz, preferably 4oz, and he wants it every hour to an hour and a half. Is this sort of a sudden jump normal or what's going on here?

Congratulation, these are your first frequency days (I had to google the English term for them, it's terrible! In Norwegian they're called økedager - increase days.)
They happen regularly, and is simply baby having a growth spurt and demanding more food. When nursing babies do it, it increases the milk production to fit their need.
The whole non-stop eating isn't going to last, but the bigger portion sizes might - or they might not :) He's around three weeks, right? That's right on track for the first bout of this!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yep, three weeks. Good to know it's an expected (and good) thing! I guess I should expect more of these, and when they happen respond by basically just giving him as much food as he wants?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yep, three weeks. Good to know it's an expected (and good) thing! I guess I should expect more of these, and when they happen respond by basically just giving him as much food as he wants?

Yeah! They say on average these growth spurts occur around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months, but I found that my daughter would have some smaller ones inbetween where she'd just randomly eat all the time for 1-2 days and then go back to her usual nursing schedule. It's real hassle when you've gotten used to a routine that involves a few hours of blessed uninterrupted sleep, and then suddenly your kid wants food around the clock, but it's only for a few days, so just power through it and drink a lot of coffee ;)

In general with babies as young as yours, the only "training" you should do is making sure they don't get their days and nights mixed up and start sleeping all day and staying up all night. Other than that, feed them when they're hungry, comfort them when they cry and put them down for a nap when they're tired. They come from a nice, comfy womb with food on demand, and adjusting to the world outside is hard! When I was struggling at first I found it really helpful to think of the first three months of life as a sort of fourth trimester. Human babies are only born at 9 months because their heads wouldn't fit through the mothers pelvis if they stayed inside any longer, they're still very small and have very basic needs that don't take our wants and wishes as grown-ups into account ;) But it won't always be like this, their development throughout the first year is just insane, and it keeps going! I've been told that at some point they will actually leave the house alone to hang out with friends!

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
GG, I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. My coworker's wife had a similar thing happen with her c section scar and he had to pack it with gauze since their insurance would also not cover having a health professional do it. I would call her doctor's office and see if they can't help you out with this though. After having my baby I have learned how it is worth questioning your medical bills and seeing if the hospital or doctor will work with you. I'm sure her doctor would like to have this done right so that she heals so they might be able to get you some help.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

After getting over the initial aversion I think I'm doing alright. I had them show me twice, and then watch me the first time I did it hah.

Unfortunately, it looks like it might have gotten infected anyway, so she's back on the antibiotics and has another appointment tomorrow. Also decided to just cut out the pumping and give up on it, it's just too exhausting, and with me starting work again on Monday (if she does alright being the primary baby handler this weekend) it's just too much.

But the baby is absolutely adorable and my heart melts every time he does something cute and I just want to hold him next to me all the time, and she's finally getting to the point that she can do stuff with him and is feeling that too a bit and it's really nice. She's also convinced she's gonna get sick again and not be able to take care of him, and the news that the wound is infected didn't help that. She's also in a ton of pain again but is fighting through it to feed him and change him. (She hasn't managed to change a poopy diaper yet, it's an instant ride to vomit town for her, which is something we're working on because obviously she's going to have to sooner or later)

Thanks for all the support, it's meant a lot.

We're also trying to switch him to the Gerber Soothe that was recommended - he's been really gassy and spitting up a LOT (like half of what he eats sometimes) so hopefully that will help.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Glyph, I'm so sorry to hear about the living hell that must be you and your wife's current situation. At least you have a bright spot in the form of an adorable baby to cheer things up a bit. I truly hope things turn around for you guys soon so you can put this nightmare behind you.

I think it's probably a good idea to eliminate the pumping from the equation for now; it doesn't sound like your wife needs any added stress or expectations on top of what she's already dealing with. Also glad to hear her physician set her up with a therapist. Hopefully things heal quickly, and not just in physical terms. :)

We're all rooting for you guys!

On what is, relatively, a much more trivial note, I had my glucose tolerance test today. I got the results online this evening. The standard range is 70-129 mg/dl, and mine was at 125. I didn't have anything sugary earlier in the day, and overall I am what I thought was very low risk for this sort of thing. I'm 26, athletic (or was prior to getting pregnant anyway), healthy weight, eat relatively healthy... Even though I'm in what is considered the standard range, I still found it troubling having it as high as it was. Am I worrying too much?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes. Your hormones do weird poo poo to all parts of your body when you are pregnant. It has nothing to do with your overall health.

If you are in the normal range you are fine.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
10 days until my due date and baby has dropped and boy oh boy am I uncomfortable. Can't tell if I'm having braxton hicks or if the pain is just the baby twisting on my pelvis. Not really a fan in any case.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

eselbaum posted:

On what is, relatively, a much more trivial note, I had my glucose tolerance test today. I got the results online this evening. The standard range is 70-129 mg/dl, and mine was at 125. I didn't have anything sugary earlier in the day, and overall I am what I thought was very low risk for this sort of thing. I'm 26, athletic (or was prior to getting pregnant anyway), healthy weight, eat relatively healthy... Even though I'm in what is considered the standard range, I still found it troubling having it as high as it was. Am I worrying too much?

I know when my wife got it done she checked her results before the next midwife appointment (my wifes a RN and apparently she could check the results herself) she freaked out a bit until the midwife explained that normal pregnant lady readings are generally all round higher than non-pregnant.

I dunno what the exact explanation because they were talking with a lot of medical acronyms and words I didn't know, but pretty sure it boiled down to the fact that pregnancy diabetes is a thing because having a high blood sugar while pregnant is a normal thing that happens and can cause people who are high normally to go over the edge into minor diabetes.

(Not actually medical advice, I'm not a doctor)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hormones make your insulin resistance go up, basically.

Funhilde posted:

10 days until my due date and baby has dropped and boy oh boy am I uncomfortable. Can't tell if I'm having braxton hicks or if the pain is just the baby twisting on my pelvis. Not really a fan in any case.
Not long now! I'm excited for you. (Jealous)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

eselbaum posted:

The standard range is 70-129 mg/dl, and mine was at 125. I didn't have anything sugary earlier in the day, and overall I am what I thought was very low risk for this sort of thing. I'm 26, athletic (or was prior to getting pregnant anyway), healthy weight, eat relatively healthy... Even though I'm in what is considered the standard range, I still found it troubling having it as high as it was. Am I worrying too much?

It's not just sugar that raises your blood glucose, it's carbs of any sort. Before my 1 hour test, I got up a little late and ate my normal breakfast of oatmeal with a tiny bit of brown sugar. All around healthy meal, and that was enough to make me fail that test and have to take the fasting 3 hour test. (Which I was within completely normal readings). Don't worry about it at all, or if you are slightly worried, take it as encouragement to eat more protein-based snacks like hardboiled eggs and nuts and stuff. Hummus on sugar peas was my favorite thing in the world.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
35 weeks and baby is still breech. We are doing all the spinning babies stuff we can (well her mostly, I just help with the rebozo).

We have our next midwife appointment next week where we will discuss a version. Is there any sense in trying to get one scheduled immediately for 37 weeks, in order to give us extra time to try again afterwards if it doesn't work? She will do anything it takes to try and get the baby turned.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

eselbaum posted:

I've gotten a high result (in the 140s, so above-standard-range high) on the 1-hour test with both my pregnancies. The first time I then went on to have perfectly middle-of-the-road normal results for all four of the checks in the the 3-hour test - which is actually true for most people who 'fail' the 1-hour test. It's designed to find people who might have a problem, so that the 3-hour test (more time-consuming, more disgusting, more expensive to administer) only has to be given to those people, not to everyone.

The second time I couldn't complete the 3-hour test (the syrup made me so intensely nauseated that I was only about a quarter of the way through the bottle by the time the 10-minute window was over) and so I took the 1-hour test again. I thought I was taking it the day after my next appointment, however, not on the same day as, and so I'd had coffee with milk and a lot of sugar (I like a little coffee with my sugar, basically) about thirty minutes before the second 1-hour test. Nevertheless, my result the second time was in the 90s. :confuoot:

In conclusion: if your result was in the standard range you definitely do not have problems with glucose tolerance. If your result had been above the standard range there would still have been a good chance you didn't have any problems with glucose tolerance.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I hope posting pictures of the end result of this thread (baby!) is allowed. :) Haven't seen it for a while, but I recall it being done.

http://imgur.com/a/tq8BK

This is Ezekiel. Born Feb. 21st.

Wanted to share while I am having a good moment. Been struggling with PPD and just the normal stresses of new-parenthood. Getting help though (and meds) and learning to love my little man.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I hope posting pictures of the end result of this thread (baby!) is allowed. :) Haven't seen it for a while, but I recall it being done.

Wanted to share while I am having a good moment. Been struggling with PPD and just the normal stresses of new-parenthood. Getting help though (and meds) and learning to love my little man.

I meant to say congrats to you in Knyteguy's thread. Ezekiel is adorable and what a head of hair! :3: Best wishes with the PPD and I hope you aren't struggling for much longer.

I had my 3-hour glucose last week after a high 1-hour reading, and my second hour was high (175--it actually went up from the first hour). Everything else including fasting and two random checks has been within normal, but they want me to go on a GD-like diet anyway just in case. I'm sure it's better for me to be eating more protein anyway.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ There has been a shameful lack of baby pictures lately! He's adorable :3: And such a cool name! Glad you're getting professional help with your PPD, there will be more good moments. The baby period can be incredibly hard and draining, but the more they grow, the more fun and interesting they become, and you start feeling like your own person again. I've said this before, and I'll say it again - for me, having a baby was 10 % "awww, she's so adorable and amazing!" and 90 % worn-out, frustrated and miserable crap. But having a toddler is 10 % maddeningly frustrating crap and 90 % joy, hilarity (toddlers are certifiably insane, it's awesome!), pride (they learn SO MUCH!) and love.

Chin Strap posted:

35 weeks and baby is still breech. We are doing all the spinning babies stuff we can (well her mostly, I just help with the rebozo).

We have our next midwife appointment next week where we will discuss a version. Is there any sense in trying to get one scheduled immediately for 37 weeks, in order to give us extra time to try again afterwards if it doesn't work? She will do anything it takes to try and get the baby turned.

Try again with a version or with more spinning baby stuff? The trick with a version is doing it while there is still a little wiggle room, so that it's actually possible to flip the baby around, but not so much wiggle room that they'll easily flip back again, so it can't be done too late or too early. You should probably just do what the experts sitting on the scans and measurements of mum and baby tell you to do ;) I had mine done at 37,5 weeks, which I think is the standard.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Thanks for the insight, everyone. I figured I was being paranoid, but it still helps to hear someone else say so too. :)

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Beautiful baby - Congratulations! I've been looking forward to somebody's pics popping up in this thread again. It's been a while!

Good for you for not only recognizing your PPD, but being proactive about it. I'm sure it can't be an easy thing to deal with. Best wishes for a happy, healthy mom and baby! :)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If we're gonna be posting pictures...

Here's the baby and his mom.

I actually made a gallery for sharing with people today, if anyone is interested:
http://imgur.com/a/j3UqP

I really am incredibly happy with him, and despite how difficult everything has been it does feel like it's getting better, and I can't for what comes next.

matthew j
Nov 29, 2009

do work son.
My wife has slept maybe 6 hours the last three days=( She'll be 35 weeks on Monday and this entire pregnancy she's dealt with hyperemisis (taking zofran daily) and severe RLS (taking mirapex nightly. She's had this her whole life.)

About three weeks ago she developed a very intense pain in her right calf that doesn't go away. It's annoying all day but when she lays down it's excruciating. The midwives say it's just rls related but it's weird for it to centralized in that one spot. Negative on a blood clot too. They haven't been a help with this even though we've told them how awful it is.

We're just at a loss right now. Anything that she can take to help her sleep makes her rls way worse. Taking 2 mirapex at night was working but then she started to get nasty side effects and we're worried about keeping that dose up. I know there's not a lot you guys can say for this, and this is mostly a pity party post anyway, but man I feel so bad for her. She's utterly exhausted but as soon as she lays down its just unbearable pain. So she staggers around the house crying in despair and it's breaking my heart=(

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
What about reclining in a chair or propping herself up to sleep almost upright with a hell of a lot of pillows? Same effect?

I really wish I had any helpful answer for sleeplessness and pain in pregnancy :( I'm sorry for your poor wife. That really is rough.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Big Bug Hug posted:

What about reclining in a chair or propping herself up to sleep almost upright with a hell of a lot of pillows? Same effect?

Yeah, you tend to get really creative with pillows during the third trimester. The combination of the actual baby being in there and the effect of weird pregnancy hormones result in all manner of lovely aches and pains. Someone I know ended up sleeping almost upright in a big comfy chair for the last two months, and I had to have a pillow between my knees so as avoid excrutiating hip pain. So my suggestion would be to experiment and see if she can find any position comfortable enough to fall asleep in with the help of a chair/the sofa/a bunch of pillows.

Good luck, at least she's in the final inning now, and most of the weird inexplicable pregnancy pain really does go away almost immediately after birth (to be replaced by various "having just birthed a baby"-pain, but still, at least most of those don't get in the way finding a comfortable sleeping position :) )

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

matthew j posted:

My wife has slept maybe 6 hours the last three days=( She'll be 35 weeks on Monday and this entire pregnancy she's dealt with hyperemisis (taking zofran daily) and severe RLS (taking mirapex nightly. She's had this her whole life.)

About three weeks ago she developed a very intense pain in her right calf that doesn't go away. It's annoying all day but when she lays down it's excruciating. The midwives say it's just rls related but it's weird for it to centralized in that one spot. Negative on a blood clot too. They haven't been a help with this even though we've told them how awful it is.

We're just at a loss right now. Anything that she can take to help her sleep makes her rls way worse. Taking 2 mirapex at night was working but then she started to get nasty side effects and we're worried about keeping that dose up. I know there's not a lot you guys can say for this, and this is mostly a pity party post anyway, but man I feel so bad for her. She's utterly exhausted but as soon as she lays down its just unbearable pain. So she staggers around the house crying in despair and it's breaking my heart=(

Could it be sciatica? Babies can press down on the sciatic nerve and it can hurt like all gently caress.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I had severe issues with cramping and hip pain with my last pregnancy and we ended up buying an inflatable sex chair for me to sleep on. Sounds weird but it was great because its designed for lots of different angles and positions plus its way squishier than a bed. Plus you can use it for sex after birth, or do what we did and deflate it and hide it, never to speak of it again.
Edit: this one:

Stairs fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 28, 2015

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

Could it be sciatica? Babies can press down on the sciatic nerve and it can hurt like all gently caress.

Yeah, I had sciatica at one point during my pregnancy and silvergoose can attest how pathetic I was whimpering as I tried to walk and almost couldn't because of the pain down my thigh. Especially if she notices the pain radiates down her leg sometimes.

GG - Awesome pics and cute baby. Your wife's experience sounds awful but at least your little man is a cutie-pie. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Stairs posted:

we ended up buying an inflatable sex chair

This is the best thing ever :haw: