Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

In all honestly, remember when I say just some demon walking up and saying 'join chaos, lol' was not a thing I could see Ohone fall for?

This? This I could totally see Ohone fall to Chaos for, or just away from the Emperor. This is knowledge in its rawest form. I mean, if harvesting this knowledge ends up profiting the Imperium and Omnissiah, hurray. But if some Inquisitor or Space Marine comes up to her nad says 'yes, this is foul and must be destroyed, Ohone will straight up (try to) murder that space marine. This is our Precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Seriously? What's with the use of Fire. We aren't some stupid hick worthy only of processed who sees something Xenos and panics and burns. Yes. There is a risk of being corrupted here, obviously. But the knowledge in this place? That is worth risking corrupting entire PLANETS for! There'll always be more people. But this thing? This thing cannot ever be replaced. So cool your jets, folks.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
D, hereteks are cool.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Some knowledge must be lost, for the good of the Imperium. Thoughts like that are invitations to chaos. The road to the warp is paved with good intentions. The universe is vast. Another ship will be found, but this is courrpted beyond use. We will mourn it's loss and try to salvage what we can, but the Imperium needs pure hearts and minds before it needs tainted relics.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Some knowledge must be lost, for the good of the Imperium. Thoughts like that are invitations to chaos. The road to the warp is paved with good intentions. The universe is vast. Another ship will be found, but this is courrpted beyond use. We will mourn it's loss and try to salvage what we can, but the Imperium needs pure hearts and minds before it needs tainted relics.

Pure hearts and Minds are born every second by the millions. There is no shortage of them. That drivel you spout is good to make sure the dregs don't step out of line. We don't want THEM to start messing with anything. But we're Ohone. We're a genius among the Machine Cult. We're an Interrogator. We're part of the Family of a Rogue Trader. We absolutely CAN deal with this. It is likely the Omnissiah himself who guided us here. Any yokel with flamethrower could 'purify' it in destruction. We on the other hand, can sift the sludge out of the holy. We can repair it. We can bring the glories of the past back now, and lead the Imperium in a new era of resurgent growth!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

B then C

Also is it too late to request art? Caus I want to see Ohone singing along to lods of emone tia

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shogeton posted:

Pure hearts and Minds are born every second by the millions. There is no shortage of them. That drivel you spout is good to make sure the dregs don't step out of line. We don't want THEM to start messing with anything. But we're Ohone. We're a genius among the Machine Cult. We're an Interrogator. We're part of the Family of a Rogue Trader. We absolutely CAN deal with this. It is likely the Omnissiah himself who guided us here. Any yokel with flamethrower could 'purify' it in destruction. We on the other hand, can sift the sludge out of the holy. We can repair it. We can bring the glories of the past back now, and lead the Imperium in a new era of resurgent growth!

sounds like heresy to me

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shogeton posted:

Pride like this always precedes a fall. How many souls are lost to the ruinous powers. We are no greater than the lowest dreg. We would do well to remember ourselves before soiling our hands in some arrogant attempt to salvage something old. I tell you what we should salvage, the souls of the poor men enslaved to this foul xeno tech heresy and the lives of our men.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
D and warn the krieg for now. We can figure out how to cleanse later.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Pride like this always precedes a fall. How many souls are lost to the ruinous powers. We are no greater than the lowest dreg. We would do well to remember ourselves before soiling our hands in some arrogant attempt to salvage something old. I tell you what we should salvage, the souls of the poor men enslaved to this foul xeno tech heresy and the lives of our men.

You want me to admit there's a risk to our soul? Fine. There's a risk that looking into this will corrupt us to the very core if we screw up. But if we're not prepared to risk out lives, our hearts, our souls, then we're better off asking the Lord Sire to put us in a cubicle and look at the same screen for the rest of our lives. We aspire to be a Magos, an Inquisitor, a Rogue Trader, and more. These things are not gained without taking risks. To turn away from this advancement because we're worried about what it might do to our soul is not faith. It is cowardice and selfishness.

And these things are not gained while being soft-hearted about others. It's probably just their shells and such. The Omnissiah has taken their souls I'm sure.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Voting for D but we should straight out order our men not to move a muscle until we say so. Don't try to sneak a plan through the vox since our communications might be intercepted.

We're in a really tight situation and violence is going to be inevitable but we have two urgent problems to deal with in this room besides finding out what's going on.

First we have the 24ish Genestealers in the room. Any attempt at violence is going to end in our quick and sudden deaths. There's simply no way a bunch of guardsmen are going to be able to survive combat at such a close range.

The second problem we have is with the Death Korps. Telling them not to shoot at Xenos isn't going to work since they're not servitors or skitarii. They're also not the most morally flexible or open minded people so if they think that they've been duped and we're consorting with Xenos then their just going to straight out shoot us in the back. Unless we can find some way to shut the Genestealers down, we need to be prepared to turn on the Death Korp before they turn on us.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
D, mostly because I'm curious. But put it this way: If we decide to cleanse them later on, it'll be much easier to do so if we can convince the lot of them to line up for a parade drill in a small, crowded room, don't mind that smell, it's nothing important...

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Arkanomen posted:

Pride like this always precedes a fall. How many souls are lost to the ruinous powers. We are no greater than the lowest dreg. We would do well to remember ourselves before siling our hands in some arrogant attempt to salvage something old. I tell you what we should salvage, the souls of the poor men enslaved to this foul xeno tech heresy and the lives of our men.

Qui audet adipiscitur

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x
B x
C
B/C x
D x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x x
D/A x
D/B x x x x
E

D is well in the lead, but its a fun argument :D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean I'm all for trying to save the ship but if it's choose between saving the ship or stopping the 'nids I'm stoppin' the 'nids.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
This whole war is probably being secretly justified by the presence of the ship beneath Gamma. There is zero possibility that the Mechanicus would let an Ark just go /missing/ - it probably still pings Mars occasionally on some sort of hyper-frequency quantum tunneling comm system.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This thing most likely crashed before the Mechanicum was even a thing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
D - Step one to cleansing this ship is understanding how bad the damage is.

This ship is worth more than the planet. We can and should make every sacrifice necessary to restore it to functionality. That means not outright destroying important parts, even if they're temporarily corrupted.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
D. I agree, we need to know what happened here, who's to blame, and if it's possible to fix it. Let's see if we can't get them to start clearing xeno for us, too.

@LowellDND, great post. I definitely liked that description, and agree with the following:

There Bias Two posted:

Ewwww. I imagine this place feels and sounds like being in a giant mouth while they're chewing on insects.

Of course, it's a mouth chewing on insects while muttering in High Gothic.

Also, Arkanomen and Shogeton's philosophical debate is quite good. I approve of that.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

mepstein73 posted:

D. I agree, we need to know what happened here, who's to blame, and if it's possible to fix it. Let's see if we can't get them to start clearing xeno for us, too.
This is an excellent idea. The cyber-tyranids may actually be far more able than us to perform an orderly removal of the corruption, thereby returning the original systems (e.g. those partially-disassembled computers) to good working order. If we just start flooding the ship with fire, who knows how screwed up the remains might be.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Something to note is that we were expressly let inside the ship. It may be that the hivefleet that's inbound has a weak connection to these nids. I'm not sure if they're capable of or even want to control mechanized nids, but it's something to keep in mind.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Something to note is that we were expressly let inside the ship. It may be that the hivefleet that's inbound has a weak connection to these nids. I'm not sure if they're capable of or even want to control mechanized nids, but it's something to keep in mind.
Or maybe the other force we fought was too busy running the fight aboveground to get embroiled in a high level hacking battle with us, and was forced to concede.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A while back we stole something from the Magos' warehouse, something to do with controlling machine spirits, did we ever get to use that or even determine what it did?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

A while back we stole something from the Magos' warehouse, something to do with controlling machine spirits, did we ever get to use that or even determine what it did?

You know, I completely forgot about it.

quote:

Nothing that matched your strengths though. Nothing that let you dance along the wires and conduits of the ship, sing to the Machine-Spirits and make them obey. Until… you found a set of materials that did. A machine of metal and brass and ancient bindings, something that could awaken the Machine-Spirits from dead objects. Something that could raise life where there was none.

Whistling softly, you reached out your mind, binary notes caressing the Guardians around you. The mastiffs of shadow sniffed out a change far away from you, and leapt to it, pages rustling behind them. The Servitors paused in their labor, processing your new data. An order from the Magos, a tiny adjustment in your delivery. With a whisper, the receipt of it was vanished from their memory, the line data in the inventories destroyed. The Binder had never been here; the Magos had demanded it immediately. These simultaneous truths were believed, and forgotten.

You licked your lips briefly. That was the most difficult thing you had ever done, and the risk involved was your death - or a life in mindless slavery. The Omnissiah had blessed you, however, revealing your decision to be the right one. If the God-Emperor hadn’t wanted you to do this, why would He had given you this opportunity? And let you succeed in it?

Another flash of binary, and your servitors filed into the vault, began lifting the component parts of the Binder into the corridors, down the long hallways of Between that you had begun to understand so well, going to the place that your Servo-Skull had prepared. Effortlessly, you make the pressure seals forget their passage. Your servitors were never here. As well, the seals forgot your order to make them forget.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Just caught up. Lowell you've turned a completely dead workweek into something fun. Hats off to you.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Basscop posted:

Just caught up. Lowell you've turned a completely dead workweek into something fun. Hats off to you.

Thank you! Good to have you :D

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Is that the famed Binder Full Of Women, from pre-heresy era? Last known owner, Mittens?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Oasx posted:

Ooh, that might be useful for repairs.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If we can use the Binder to purge the systems maybe we can salvage this? If no Binder, then A

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm looking through the branches of Radical Inquisitors, and I can't find any that are particularly tied to use of using xeno/forbidden tech. The closest I could find are the Recongregationists, who generally seek to rebuild and strengthen an Empire they feel has grown stagnant, though not necessarily through strife like the Istvaanists.

And incidentally yeah if we can use that binder it'd be a good idea.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
D. If the Krieg attack us despite whatever surreptitious message we can send them, i guess we deal with that. Maybe their faith in us will lead them to believe we have a plan?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

I'm looking through the branches of Radical Inquisitors, and I can't find any that are particularly tied to use of using xeno/forbidden tech. The closest I could find are the Recongregationists, who generally seek to rebuild and strengthen an Empire they feel has grown stagnant, though not necessarily through strife like the Istvaanists.

And incidentally yeah if we can use that binder it'd be a good idea.

Possible ones:

Xeno Hybris - The Xeno Hybris is a Radical faction that has existed within the Calixis Sector for almost as long as it has been a part of the Imperium. It is speculated that the faction grew out of a gathering of Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitors and agents drawn to the sector in search of clues to lost alien civilizations. Whatever the case, today the faction works diligently to uncover alien technology and better understand the alien mind. Inquisitors of this faction believe that there is much to learn from the aliens of the galaxy and only by cooperation with the other intelligent starfaring races can the true enemy of all sentient life be defeated. Needless to say, these beliefs often bring them into conflict with Monodominants and their followers, who view any dealing with xenos as an abomination.

Oblationists are a Radical faction of the Inquisition. They believe that the Warp, the xenos and the unclean are utterly damning and those who utilise them must face the ultimate sanction. Yet they also believe their use is necessary to overcome mankind's enemies. Therefore the righteous must sacrifice themselves and embrace damnation in order for humanity to survive.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So, LowellDND, have you ever heard of Halo Devices? They seem like they'd be right up your alley, fiction-wise.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Halo_Devices
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Life_Extension_Technologies#Halo_Devices

Edit: I just remembered that I brought these things up before. It's been so long!

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 19, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shogeton posted:

You want me to admit there's a risk to our soul? Fine. There's a risk that looking into this will corrupt us to the very core if we screw up. But if we're not prepared to risk out lives, our hearts, our souls, then we're better off asking the Lord Sire to put us in a cubicle and look at the same screen for the rest of our lives. We aspire to be a Magos, an Inquisitor, a Rogue Trader, and more. These things are not gained without taking risks. To turn away from this advancement because we're worried about what it might do to our soul is not faith. It is cowardice and selfishness.

And these things are not gained while being soft-hearted about others. It's probably just their shells and such. The Omnissiah has taken their souls I'm sure.

We are of the machine. Thoughts of ego and pride and cowardice are not in the equation. We cannot allow the adversary to gain even a single inch or a single soul. This machine is temptation in its purest form. The devil will not approach with a handful of feces, but a golden banquet of the greatest magnitude. What we lack in material the Omnissiah will provide. Our goal, above all else, is the protection and advancement of the imperium of man, so it follows that that exact temptation is what the ruinous powers would bait us with. There will be another ship, untainted and pure when the God Emperor wills us to find one. Pity those that trust in reason and would put themselves before the Emperor. Their only reward is a wretched death. Intolerance and zeal are the mark of the faithful. Put this heresy to the flame and faith in the emperor to gain the greatest reward of all. He who dares to preserve this abomination will know only treachery and retribution. The Emperor provides, gain will not be found in the taint of the xeno and the heretic.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

Green Intern posted:

So, LowellDND, have you ever heard of Halo Devices? They seem like they'd be right up your alley, fiction-wise.

Edit: I just remembered that I brought these things up before. It's been so long!

Oh Omnissiah no no no :stonk:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D

We need to get this ship into space where it can be quarantined and purified (while we take complete control of it). This keeps anyone else from poaching. As I recall our theory was that just flying the thing up through the hive and enemy would pretty much turn the war.

Do we need to make sure we don't get nuked by ff in the process or is that not a concern?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

D

We need to get this ship into space where it can be quarantined and purified (while we take complete control of it). This keeps anyone else from poaching. As I recall our theory was that just flying the thing up through the hive and enemy would pretty much turn the war.

Do we need to make sure we don't get nuked by ff in the process or is that not a concern?

The only thing that could hit this ship right now is Exterminatus, you are about 5km underground.

As for ground based nukes, at least some of the void shields are working. You'll need more data before you can say for sure.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Green Intern posted:

As an aside, BeerfortheBeerGod came up with a little something in the 40k thread that he said I could use.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

+++Astropathic Intercept+++
///+++ ERROR: HEADER DATA MISSING +++///

Label: Reclassification of Emprax IV from Alpha to Delta Tau
Destination: Inquisitor Pyros Opticus
Source: Inquisitor Deus Alc

I must reclassify Emprax IV from a Grade 19 Alpha classification (agricultural world, high productivity) to a Delta Tau classification with an Omega grade (death world, orbit prohibited). Travel to the system shall be punishable by death, and all records of the system and planet must be expunged. As per standard protocol all individuals with knowledge of Emprax will be reconditioned for servitor duty, traditional Adeptus Astartes exceptions apply. The 37th, 38th, and 39th Emprax Legions will be merged and designated as the 27314th Penal Legion and immediately rerouted for front line duty. Please contact the appropriate channels within the Commissariate to determine the appropriate personnel to manage the new regiment. All citizens of Emprax are declared excommunicatus traitorous, with Adeptus Arbite ordered to shoot on sight should any be found outside of the system. Preliminary estimates based on prior examples indicates an expected loss of 3.42 billion with a standard deviation of 2.31 billion.

May the Emperor have mercy on their souls.

Inquisitor Alc

Personal note addended:

Pyros I swear on the Golden Throne the next time the Officio decides to send an Eversor without clearing it with me I'm going to declare Exterminatus on ///DATA LOST///. Had they done so, they would have learned of our theory that the Governor has that infernal device molded into the grip of his power sword and that's why he's always holding it. Then they would have possibly avoided the possibility of the damned Eversor PICKING THE FORSAKEN THING UP. The drug-crazed freak probably thought killing the Governor's family with his own relic blade would be funny.

This is bad. Whatever xenos filth is contained within the Halo Device has merged with the Eversor, producing more of that brutal chemical cocktail. It's been a week and it hasn't exploded. In fact it seems to be getting faster. These auspex readings are terrifying. It's outrunning the bombardments. I think it's taunting us when it's not slaughtering entire cities.

For now our job is containment. We've already blasted every void capable ship on the surface, and continue to bombard anything with a power signature. I won't even bother with Exterminatus; the drat thing is far too smart for that. The best we can hope for is to ensure it can never leave the planet and hope it kills everything and dies of starvation.

Whatever you do, don't let the Eversor temple know about this.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

D! Bareface our way through this, and later on ask them to demonstrate the airlock. Personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You know, I always thought the names for the Inquisitor sects seemed a bit odd and baroque, and I only really just now realized that their naming scheme is basically WH40K's take on early Christian schisms - Monophysites, Miaphysites, iconoclasts, and all that other literally Byzantine squabbling over minutiae.