Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I lied there were apparently a couple add-ons I tossed on. Even with everything disabled it's still a bit clunky though. Ideally I'd like to get the bar to be closer to the size it is in Chrome but that may just not be possible.

Is how it currently sits. I don't even show an option in View -> Toolbars for an additional one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baram posted:

I lied there were apparently a couple add-ons I tossed on. Even with everything disabled it's still a bit clunky though. Ideally I'd like to get the bar to be closer to the size it is in Chrome but that may just not be possible.

Is how it currently sits. I don't even show an option in View -> Toolbars for an additional one.

I get this with the menu bar disabled, using Classic Theme Restorer, buttons set to Small, and tabs on bottom where they should be. You don't seem to have tried setting the buttons to small.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nevermind - completely misread that.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Baram posted:

I use the Australis Slimmr add-on to get mine to look like this:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Mr.Radar posted:

I use the Australis Slimmr add-on to get mine to look like this:

this is perfect thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't understand. That's what mine looks like without any cosmetic add-ons.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

hooah posted:

I don't understand. That's what mine looks like without any cosmetic add-ons.

If your browser window is maximized, that's how it looks. Otherwise, there's a margin at the top so that you can grab the window and move it around.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

If your browser window is maximized, that's how it looks. Otherwise, there's a margin at the top so that you can grab the window and move it around.

That's just like Chrome though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any add-ons for suspending idle tabs automatically out there? I know there's a built-in feature that sorta works, but restarting my browser every now and then doesn't seem like the best idea, especially on a MacBook that never really shuts down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There are, but none of the ones I checked the other day seem to have updated since last May, and I suspect Unloadtab broke with a recent browser update.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Anybody else unable to play any youtube videos as of yesterday? I think they're forcing html5 now and I cannot get anything to play, even tried a couple of addons with no luck.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Works fine on my end, If you use YouTubeCenter (assuming) make sure you are using the latest dev build and not "stable" because that one is always months old. https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Youtube has been slow as balls for the last 5-6 days. Every video buffers for 30+ seconds than plays on the lowest quality setting (144p?), and still can't stream without having to re-buffer 2-3 times a minute.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Weird, works on my work browser, must be an addon issue. I noticed the nvidia 3D vision plugin hassling me for access yesterday, since then nothing will load.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Works fine on my end, If you use YouTubeCenter (assuming) make sure you are using the latest dev build and not "stable" because that one is always months old. https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Thanks for this! I was just trying to update Youtube Centre today and couldn't find anything more recent than what I had.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Im_Special posted:

Thanks very much for this. I've actually been having some issues with YouTube Center lately, so hopefully this will fix it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Furnok Dorn posted:

Anybody else unable to play any youtube videos as of yesterday? I think they're forcing html5 now and I cannot get anything to play, even tried a couple of addons with no luck.

Yeah this happened to me too, I have no idea what might be causing it because I only have 3 addons installed and they didn't seem to be the cause.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
YouTube has switched to HTML5 video for me too and now 1080p seems to no longer be a thing.* I'm on FF35 and I was under the impression that it wouldn't be supported until the next release. Perhaps that is the case.

With regard to YouTubeCenter (it's great), I'd bet there'll never be another stable version because YouTube are constantly changing poo poo and breaking it.

* It amuses me slightly that Chrome is also unable to play 1080p video because of a DXVA bug.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Implied Consent posted:

YouTube has switched to HTML5 video for me too and now 1080p seems to no longer be a thing.* I'm on FF35 and I was under the impression that it wouldn't be supported until the next release. Perhaps that is the case.
Yes, the latest HTTP DASH enhancements are required for better than 720p now, these are slated for Firefox 37.

quote:

With regard to YouTubeCenter (it's great), I'd bet there'll never be another stable version because YouTube are constantly changing poo poo and breaking it.
Yeah this seems pretty likely to me, unfortunately. It's almost like Youtube is becoming a Chrome app.

quote:

* It amuses me slightly that Chrome is also unable to play 1080p video because of a DXVA bug.
Weird, playback is very smooth for me on a GTX 680 and i7 4790k, perhaps this is related to combination of slow CPUs, bad drivers, and chrome doing work on a thread poorly chosen for blocking characteristics.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Alereon posted:

Yes, the latest HTTP DASH enhancements are required for better than 720p now, these are slated for Firefox 37.
Jesus, it's taking forever for Mozilla to get their poo poo together when it comes to MSE.

Alereon posted:

Weird, playback is very smooth for me on a GTX 680 and i7 4790k, perhaps this is related to combination of slow CPUs, bad drivers, and chrome doing work on a thread poorly chosen for blocking characteristics.
I have a modern system and have no problems playing 1080p60 content with DXVA (or software rendering) in other software, it's just chrome. 720p60 is fine but 1080p60 is a slideshow.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Implied Consent posted:

Jesus, it's taking forever for Mozilla to get their poo poo together when it comes to MSE.
To be fair to them, it really is a rapidly moving target and I think Chrome is the only application with full Youtube support for playback. There are other apps that can download DASH streams but not live playback I don't think. A complicating factor is that Youtube updated their H.264 codec to use a higher compression level, which broke compatibility with the free Cisco OpenH264 codec released for use with non-Chrome browsers.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah this happened to me too, I have no idea what might be causing it because I only have 3 addons installed and they didn't seem to be the cause.

This was my case today, and after some googling I fixed it by setting media.mediasource.enabled to true

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
So now YouTube have switched me back to the flash player. I'd disabled the plug-in too. Oh well, at least I get 1080p.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As always, youtube-dl is the friggin' best. You can both download the videos and pipe stream them in mplayer or another video player. Both video and audio can be downloaded separately.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Implied Consent posted:

So now YouTube have switched me back to the flash player. I'd disabled the plug-in too. Oh well, at least I get 1080p.
Youtube has been switching me between Flash and HTML5 (I have NOT opted in at the /html5 page) for the last few months. It was flash, then it was HTML5 for a while, and then one day it was back to flash. Not sure why, but now I've installed Youtube Center again to force it to be Flash for the time being.

Alereon posted:

Yeah this seems pretty likely to me, unfortunately. It's almost like Youtube is becoming a Chrome app.
On the other hand, Mozilla royally hosed up implementing h.264 HTML5 video in Firefox. I know there are all sorts of reasons why, but I (and Firefox's users) just don't care. Chrome, Safari and even IE had it for years, and I think they just stopped waiting for Mozilla to catch up.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've noticed that seeking in HTML5 videos is far worse than it was with Flash Youtube. I also had a video's audio randomly cut out until I skipped back far enough and then forward enough.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

I've noticed that seeking in HTML5 videos is far worse than it was with Flash Youtube. I also had a video's audio randomly cut out until I skipped back far enough and then forward enough.
That's DASH for you, it involves breaking the file up into tiny pieces and having the browser decide which ones to download, then reassembling them in time for playback. Seeking within basic HTML5 video (simple .mp4 files) seems to work pretty consistently.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The 36 beta notes say "Implemented a subset of the Media Source Extensions (MSE) API to allow native HTML5 playback on YouTube. Full support is on the way"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xamphear posted:

I know there are all sorts of reasons why, but I (and Firefox's users) just don't care. Chrome, Safari and even IE had it for years, and I think they just stopped waiting for Mozilla to catch up.

All the social media sites seem to be using it and that has to hurt Firefox's market share.

I have the "open in Chrome" add-on and it's a lifesaver. But it's a solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Will HTTP/2 speed up streaming or is it just to do with web browsing?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was wondering what youtube was up to. Figured it had to be HTML5, since I had googlevideo blocked. It would just load the flash version right after anyway. Doesn't seem to be doing it today.

Sadly, the one time I let HTML5 load, it looked worse in quality than the flash.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

MikusR posted:

The 36 beta notes say "Implemented a subset of the Media Source Extensions (MSE) API to allow native HTML5 playback on YouTube. Full support is on the way"
Yeah, it had MSE at first, but a recent update (beta 6 or 7 I think?) removed it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sadly, the one time I let HTML5 load, it looked worse in quality than the flash.
Youtube HTML5 defaults to WebM (VP9) compression instead of H.264 on many systems, which looks like rear end and has higher CPU/GPU usage, but it's completely Free Software so is a compelling option.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox just added Firefox Hello to itself today. It's not even after installing any updates or anything. And it wasn't there earlier this week as I was fiddling with the toolbars to get uBlock situated and didn't see it at all.
:wtc:

I really wish they'd stop adding these useless features and would instead work on getting their built-in PDF reader to not render like hot poo poo.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Firefox Hello is a video conferencing solution? But... why? :psyduck:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Geemer posted:

Firefox just added Firefox Hello to itself today. It's not even after installing any updates or anything. And it wasn't there earlier this week as I was fiddling with the toolbars to get uBlock situated and didn't see it at all.
:wtc:

It's been there for a while. It's being gradually rolled out so that they can deal with server load.

Geemer posted:

I really wish they'd stop adding these useless features and would instead work on getting their built-in PDF reader to not render like hot poo poo.

You're aware of the concept of division of labor, right? The developers working on WebRTC aren't the same people as the ones working on PDF rendering.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's been there for a while. It's being gradually rolled out so that they can deal with server load.

You're aware of the concept of division of labor, right? The developers working on WebRTC aren't the same people as the ones working on PDF rendering.

I see. And of course I'm aware of the concept of division of labor.
However, that doesn't mean that they should get off the hook for dumping in new features that are only functional in that they do what they are supposed to (render PDFs in my example). And then roughly 20 major versions later still not having them do well at what they're supposed to (render PDFs in a way that doesn't look like hot poo poo).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I agree they should stop with useless features like the built in PDF reader. If you want a PDF read get an actual PDF reader.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

PDF.js is still being actively worked on. My understanding is that it's not a particularly high priority, though (especially since it's sufficient for the vast majority of PDFs I encounter). If you feel that PDF.js needs further improvement, I recommend filing bugs, or even better, making a pull request. There are a decent number of good beginner bugs to get started with if you'd like to contribute.

Otherwise, I suppose you'll just have to accept that others' priorities don't necessarily match your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If you're not just encountering some rendering bug with PDF.js, it's likely that you might just be noticing that the fonts are different. Kerning and subpixel rendering looks pretty accurate to me, but if the PDF you're looking at doesn't have embedded fonts then the characters are necessarily going to look different from Adobe's rendering, especially from system-to-system.

And if you're not on Windows you can just gently caress right off with any complaints about font rendering and take it up with your OS vendor.