Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who's ready for some islamophobia?

quote:

The first call came in around 7:10 a.m. at 11900 North Lamar Blvd., which online maps identify as the North Austin Muslim Community Center. The second threat came from the 900 block of West 24th St., at the Arab Cowboy Hookah bar, and 24th Street is closed between Pearl and San Gabriel streets. The Arab Cowboy is closed and doesn’t open until noon.

http://kxan.com/2015/02/17/apd-responds-to-bomb-threat-near-university-of-texas/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Psyc patient makes some wild claims, the islamophobia we are all waiting for has been found, news at 11

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

Psyc patient makes some wild claims, the islamophobia we are all waiting for has been found, news at 11

Remember when someone flew a plane into a government office building as an attack on our nation, but yet it wasn't considered terrorism?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dahn posted:

I had made a comment on a friend's post of this along the lines of "I'm sure he was just a mentally disturbed lone wolf" but I didn't think anyone would actually say that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember when someone flew a plane into a government office building as an attack on our nation, but yet it wasn't considered terrorism?

Erm I don't think the bomb threat here rises to that level.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Erm I don't think the bomb threat here rises to that level.

Think the reference is about the guy that flew his prop plane into a building off of 183 near the Arboretum. It was an IRS office wasn't it?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Jiro posted:

Think the reference is about the guy that flew his prop plane into a building off of 183 near the Arboretum. It was an IRS office wasn't it?

It was, but he was rich and white :ssh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Lots of parking disputes recently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/texas-students-flash-white-power-signs-during-basketball-game-against-mostly-black-high-school/

That is the most unfortunate team spirit attempt, Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

RIP TMF

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No poo poo. That's gonna make the GOP happy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

No poo poo. That's gonna make the GOP happy.

I asked my Dem friends today if he was gonna win and they all were sure he would. I really hope this doesn't become a pattern.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was pretty sure too. Menedez is a strong Democrat, but he isn't as talented and clever as TMF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

K-Pax isn't going to let the state be on the right side of history on HIS watch.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I recall reading yesterday that he can't do poo poo though because he declined to be party to the original suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I recall reading yesterday that he can't do poo poo though because he declined to be party to the original suit.

That's why hes asking SCOT to do something.

Hmmm apparently the GOP decided it preferred Menedez to TMF.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Court orders Travis County to issue license to same sex couple

Get out your popcorn.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Man, the rest of this state is so dang angry that we're not bigots like them. I love it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Neat.

It's good to not be the last state, at least.

And congrats to the happy couple on being the first.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok since people are clearly not reading the article, gay marriage is now not legal in Texas, it was a singular event for this one couple because one of the women is likely to die from cancer before SCOTUS opens the door in August.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No, I read it. Doesn't make theirs not legal even if no one else is able to yet. It's also a major crack in the dike; now that one license has been issued, special circumstances notwithstanding, they're going to have a difficult time continuing to justify denying others who may not be in the same situation. I don't think there's any way to legally justify that only people about to die may get gay married.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

No, I read it. Doesn't make theirs not legal even if no one else is able to yet. It's also a major crack in the dike; now that one license has been issued, special circumstances notwithstanding, they're going to have a difficult time continuing to justify denying others who may not be in the same situation. I don't think there's any way to legally justify that only people about to die may get gay married.

They might be petty and try to target the license of the couple that was allowed to get it, creating actual injury and yeah this poo poo just cannot stand any longer. They'll try though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man the court can act fast when civil rights are at stake!.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I assume this is a stay on the marriage license? Boy, I sure hope this doesn't hit national news and make the TSC look like massive suppurating assholes!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its easy to be a bigot when its obvious you are going to lose and are just doing things to pander to your base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

I assume this is a stay on the marriage license? Boy, I sure hope this doesn't hit national news and make the TSC look like massive suppurating assholes!

Actually, everyone is pretty much confused right now. SCOTX is saying they didn't do anything, Paxton's opinion was just that, though he's saying the marriage is voided. The couple's attorney is saying that the SCOTX stay, if actually issued, doesn't affect his clients :psyduck:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

1stGear posted:

As near as I was able to suss from zoux and warsz talking about it in the chat thread, it's a stay on the order that was given by the judge to the county clerk to issue the license. So I guess it doesn't actually do anything except maybe stop additional ones for now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

The attorney general says he'll seek to void it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The attorney general says he'll seek to void it.

Can he do that? It was legally issued as far as anyone can tell at the moment.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Ordinarily one would think that the optics of voiding the marriage license would be pretty bad, especially given the particulars of the family involved. However the AG is performing to the sort of base that literally cheers at stuff like Perry's execution record.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

I have no idea, but he's going to try. I would imagine there's some method of doing it if a clerk accidentally gives a polygamist a license for his third wife.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

By the power of grey skull, I declare this legally issued license void.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ReidRansom posted:

"I'm a Republican, we're in Texas, gently caress you."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even the grandstanding is bigger in Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It doesn't look like he can undo it.

I dunno why he's fighting so hard this is all over in June.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

It doesn't look like he can undo it.

I dunno why he's fighting so hard this is all over in June.

Governor Ken Paxton is why.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hey at least we aren't Oklahoma, which has eliminated the US History AP course because it emphasizes "what is bad about America."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Hey at least we aren't Oklahoma, which has eliminated the US History AP course because it emphasizes "what is bad about America."

Once again, they haven't actually passed that bill.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

To her credit (uggghhh feel so dirty), Governor Mary Fallin has indicated she will probably not sign the history-ban bill even if it passes because she's concerned denying students college credit will hurt their college career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

To her credit (uggghhh feel so dirty), Governor Mary Fallin has indicated she will probably not sign the history-ban bill even if it passes because she's concerned denying students college credit will hurt her electoral chances in the future.

There we go. Much better