Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

Sprogginwood. Cool new roguelike made by Unnormal, of Qud fame. It's good. Pro-buy. Don't let the cutsey graphics fool you: it's a brutal game that will eat your bones.

Ehh, I mean, it's gonna kill you from time to time, but it's pretty forgiving otherwise. In particular you don't ever lose more than 5 dungeon levels' worth of progress. Worth getting though (and it's Sproggiwood, no 'n').

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just splatted a character in UV AoMC in the Chained Court, but I think I could handle it next time with a bit more care. The four Barons of Hell were a surprise.

E: next character made it to the Military Base and then I got sloppy and murdered. Wondering if I should go for Dualgunner before Dodgemaster next time.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I love the walls. :allears:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

Unormal, any plans to make the enemy and (especially) character sprites stand out a bit more? I tend to visually lose them at times, or don't notice, say, a seed spitter immediately (ignoring the projectiles and log messages).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

Unormal, any plans to make the enemy and (especially) character sprites stand out a bit more? I tend to visually lose them at times, or don't notice, say, a seed spitter immediately (ignoring the projectiles and log messages).

Yeah, the current posted palette is literally a first rough draft right now.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I want to purchase this game on Steam, with the new UI. Please tell me this will be doable in the near future. I've loved Sproggiwood and the concept of Qud is awesome sounding.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xir posted:

I want to purchase this game on Steam, with the new UI. Please tell me this will be doable in the near future. I've loved Sproggiwood and the concept of Qud is awesome sounding.

Yup, our current active projects are Sproggiwood's mobile release on iOS/Android and launch Caves of Qud in early access. Shooting for both in the next month or two.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

Hot. Any plans to have horizontal/vertical door variants? I know the game as it stands doesn't make a distinction.

Edit: Or some sort of abstraction that works in both directions. I don't ever really see diagonal doors in tilesets, maybe they don't read well. I was able to rough something out in Paint in about five minutes that at least feels like it would work with a grid of tall rectangles, though.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 20, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Unormal posted:

Does wall material matter in Qud? Because from those shots you can't differentiate by eyeball any material that doesn't have empty space below it.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Burning Rain posted:

So, SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition has just come out of Early Access, and it's something i recommend to y'all who like the idea of jRPGs or Disgaea but can't suffer the plot or cutscenes, or animes. The game basically has you grinding your way to higher numbers in equipment and stats in a million possible ways (randomized mini-'dungeons', arena battles, crafting, running a tavern) so you can jRPG your way through main 'storyline' battles with robots and mechanized people or whatever the hell they are. Luckily, the battles themselves strike a good balance between mindlessly repeating one winning strategy and making the player spend hours on each move, getting you in a sort of relaxed state of concentration like running or something, i dunno. Sometimes it's not very far removed from slot machines, but you win something every time, and the game won't make you waste your inheritance away.

There are niggling things (things require too many keystrokes, there are some one-hit KOs remaining, the beginning gets boring after a while, some components of the game seem underutilized and some overutilized) but they're mostly minor and/or personal preference. I've enjoyed the game even if not every untimely death of my characters.

I'm really liking the game, but replaying Act 1 all the time does get a tad cumbersome.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Devor posted:

Does wall material matter in Qud? Because from those shots you can't differentiate by eyeball any material that doesn't have empty space below it.

You kind of can, the border changes.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

You kind of can, the border changes.

yeah but that's too subtle

row 1, col 2 and row 2, cols 4 and 5 all have incredibly similar borders even with the clearly different wall texture

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

No Safe Word posted:

yeah but that's too subtle

row 1, col 2 and row 2, cols 4 and 5 all have incredibly similar borders even with the clearly different wall texture

Different walls do have different properties, but it's very uncommon for it to really matter, the walls in any area are typically very homogeneous and you can use 'l'ook to identify any wall that's really at question, so I don't think it's a strong constraint in this case. Good point of consideration, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo, Phobos Lab on UV is nasty. :stonk: Nightmare Demons everywhere. I got turbofucked by the ambush after pulling the second lever and I'm honestly not sure how I could have survived it -- maybe dashing back across the acid before my envirosuit expired, then sniping them from across the acid with my shotgun and using the second envirosuit to leave once I've whittled down their numbers?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, a lot of underground areas are mostly sandstone or shale dotted with fulcrete ruins and I'd want to be able to tell the difference at a glance if I happened to do a lot of digging.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

RealSovietBear posted:

I'm really liking the game, but replaying Act 1 all the time does get a tad cumbersome.

Yeah, me too. I'm waiting for some updates that might create some incentive to go back or shake things up a bit.

In the meantime I followed RPS' recommendation and bought the ugliest game I've ever seen: http://vodo.net/peterwhalen/dream-quest/. (Vodo is some sort of a documentary website, I guess? Dunno why the game is on there. Also, their 'make an offer' thing is baffling - I typed in $5 and some hours later got a reply that a bid was accepted.

Anyway, the game is crazy addictive and actually well designed apart from artwork (which does have its charm in a MSPainted-by-a-kid way, although I'm getting weird looks from my gf for playing it), and I've played it more this past week than anything else. It's a straightforward mini-dungeon crawl with battles played out in quick card duels. You start each run with a fixed deck of cards tailored to the class and get more from chests and leveling up. Some of them are upgradable, and sometimes you get an option to get rid of some of them.

The cards have a good range without getting too complicated, and ideally you can get a good synergy going between them. The battles are quick but tactical enough not to feel mindless, and you really have to think about the decisions you make throughout your short run. At the moment it's the perfect coffee-break roguelike for me, because even if you get a good run, they don't last more than an hour.

There are some unlocks, but thankfully they mostly give you more options (like starting classes, perks & cards). I think you technically might be able to beat the game without any unlocks, but in reality you'll die a hundred times before that while you learn the intricacies of the system.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Well, a lot of underground areas are mostly sandstone or shale dotted with fulcrete ruins and I'd want to be able to tell the difference at a glance if I happened to do a lot of digging.

Nods; color will identify those very easily. Remember that these are single-color mockups, and the actual wall types will be colored based on type, so it should be really clear what is what.

the glow
May 31, 2009
Sup Unormal, after playing the Unity/Steam version for a while, I'm impressed with the tiles/the overall polish and the faction stuff is cool, but the game seems to leak memory in a way I haven't encountered with the non-Steam version. This is after having played the game for a few hours:

After messing around with saves trying to replicate this, it appears to be something to do with the overworld map - if I go to the overworld and then just idle, I can see CoQ's memory usage creeping steadily upward by about 2-3MB/sec. If I move into a cell from the overworld the memory leak stops. I have the offending save file if you're interested as well as a crash dump from the game dying when memory usage hit 4GB.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I just got a Windows 8.1 tablet, can anyone recommend a roguelike that works fine with touch controls?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Adnor posted:

I just got a Windows 8.1 tablet, can anyone recommend a roguelike that works fine with touch controls?

You might see if Hoplite is available. It's very pared-down but pretty fun.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
By the way, if anyone wants to pick up Dream Quest for free, Vodo are doing some sort of new user promotion thing where you can send a free Vodo gift to a friend. You can use it to get any of the offers they've got running, including Dream Quest. If you're interested, catch me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Krauthammer/) or PM me.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might see if Hoplite is available. It's very pared-down but pretty fun.

Sadly it isn't on Windows, but I'm downloading it for my phone now, thanks.

My tablet uses x86 Windows, not the RT version if that matters.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adnor posted:

Sadly it isn't on Windows, but I'm downloading it for my phone now, thanks.

My tablet uses x86 Windows, not the RT version if that matters.

Sproggiwood should work nicely via touch.

TheGlow posted:

Stuff broken.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Unormal posted:

Sproggiwood should work nicely via touch.

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks super cute, so I'll try to play it with my nephew too.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I've been playing the poo poo out of Darkest Dungeon recently, it is amazing. The best advice I've ever received was to forget about torches. The increased stress seems more than made up for by the boost to player crits (which lowers party stress), and the increased loot really helps in between missions.

Still bring a couple torches to the warrens though so you can burn piles of scrolls

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:golfclap:

Well, it was fun while it lasted. My first 2H character, a solid bow helped a lot. I also added some Necromansy later which seemed to work well in conjunction.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone pick up Catacomb Kids yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315840/

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Needs some balancing work, I think. It looks fairly promising, but I've had a couple games where I start next to an enemy that one-shots me before I even have time to react.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Edwhirl posted:

Needs some balancing work, I think. It looks fairly promising, but I've had a couple games where I start next to an enemy that one-shots me before I even have time to react.

That just makes it a proper roguelike!

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

chiefnewo posted:

Point taken, but a few other problems I have with it are;

The damage you take is *extremely* high compared to your health. You start with 2-5 health (it's random), and small enemies deal 1-2, enemies your size deal 3-4. they also move a lot faster and seem to have a larger attack range than you do.

There are obviously potions you can identify. If you're on a lower-health character and drink to identify one, pray it isn't fire or ice because those are pretty much instant death with no course for avoiding it beyond just not identifying potions by drinking them.

That said, it's still in early access. So these will probably be dealt with as time goes on. It looks promising, it just needs more content and some polish.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

chiefnewo posted:

don't excuse bad design. Turn-1 deaths are idiotic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Put another way, just because it's a roguelike doesn't excuse capriciously malicious gameplay. This isn't the 80's; straight-up player abuse doesn't fly any more.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Put another way, just because it's a roguelike doesn't excuse capriciously malicious gameplay. This isn't the 80's; straight-up player abuse doesn't fly any more.

50 shades of play(er abuse)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

andrew smash posted:

don't excuse bad design. Turn-1 deaths are idiotic.

I don't see what the big deal is as long as its extremely infrequent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't see what the big deal is as long as its extremely infrequent.

A random but extremely infrequent insta-death is far worse than a common but preventable insta-death that branches off a conscious player decision.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A random but extremely infrequent insta-death is far worse than a common but preventable insta-death that branches off a conscious player decision.

If you can find a Wand of Wishing on the D1 stairs I don't see why the opposite shouldn't be able to happen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you can find a Wand of Wishing on the D1 stairs I don't see why the opposite shouldn't be able to happen.

It's almost like no thought of game balance went into Nethack at all! :v:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

So this thing in the block of ice was a few spaces left and down from where the ice block is, and he shot a freezing shot at me, which I moved out of the way of and then he teleported into his own shot and froze himself.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pretty fun.

I've not started next to a 1 shot enemy so far. Although I'm terrible at it.

One of the more fun things is messing about with what you can do to items. Like if you throw the poison mushroom in the water and then use an empty bottle in the water you get a bottle of poison, and the whole pool is poisoned.

If you can get in the position to heat a potion near an enemy it'll turn the potion to steam which can gas the enemy giving the effect of the potion. Obviously doing this/throwing potions at enemies to ID them is a great way to end up with a suddenly invisible angry monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Geokinesis posted:

Pretty fun.

I've not started next to a 1 shot enemy so far. Although I'm terrible at it.

One of the more fun things is messing about with what you can do to items. Like if you throw the poison mushroom in the water and then use an empty bottle in the water you get a bottle of poison, and the whole pool is poisoned.

If you can get in the position to heat a potion near an enemy it'll turn the potion to steam which can gas the enemy giving the effect of the potion. Obviously doing this/throwing potions at enemies to ID them is a great way to end up with a suddenly invisible angry monster.

Is it pretty complete or is it still pretty early on development?