Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

The lead up to the lynchbomb was Bif asking questions of Gaspy via PM

Then this

Bifauxnen posted:

Thank you Gaspy!

Ladies and gentlemen, our esteemed audience,

This is just a demonstration.

This arena has been rigged with a bomb. A lynchbomb. As I understand it, scum don't tend to have lynchbombs!

TOML, neither of us is leaving alive.

Unless the rest of you can scumhunt me up a better target.

Get hunting.

She names you- would she have nominated you via PM, then been unable to change it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

black_tangled posted:

The lead up to the lynchbomb was Bif asking questions of Gaspy via PM

Then this

She names you- would she have nominated you via PM, then been unable to change it later?

If that cast the die, why would she say

Bifauxnen posted:

TOML, neither of us is leaving alive.

Unless the rest of you can scumhunt me up a better target.

Get hunting.
The idea that the die is cast is also inconsistent with this later post:

Bifauxnen posted:

Well hey, I thought it was TOML. I still do, and would still like to use the bomb on him if you guys just stuck with voting for me, but now that it's pretty much a done deal, why not give you all a chance to persuade me otherwise? It's only fair.
Unless your suggestion is that maybe Bif misunderstood how the bomb worked?

I can't see how it could possibly be that Bif "activates" the bomb by PMing Gaspy with her target before the lynch has even happened. What if she didn't get lynched on that day? Would she then be able to "activate" the bomb on a different day on which she was lynched?

I can't imagine that the lynch bomb works any other way than: If player is lynched, player then gets to PM mod and demand that a different player also dies.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

If that cast the die, why would she say

The idea that the die is cast is also inconsistent with this later post:

Unless your suggestion is that maybe Bif misunderstood how the bomb worked?

I can't see how it could possibly be that Bif "activates" the bomb by PMing Gaspy with her target before the lynch has even happened. What if she didn't get lynched on that day? Would she then be able to "activate" the bomb on a different day on which she was lynched?

I can't imagine that the lynch bomb works any other way than: If player is lynched, player then gets to PM mod and demand that a different player also dies.

Yeah ok, that actually makes sense. I think I read it wrong initially.

One reading of it could be that Milky was protecting BBQ. Given his then pursuit of BBQ that seems less likely but, not unheard of and if the writing is somewhat on the wall for BBQ, could be solid ground-laying for later.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That discussion b_t and I just had makes me revisit this post:

hiddenmovement posted:

Yes I get that, but as scum it would not be worth backing up a town player position if your animated protestations meant that Bifauxen chose not to blow up TOML, whom Milky would have known to be town if he was indeed scum. That would mean throwing away the chance to get a free kill on a town player just to play a chancy long game.

UNLESS he knew full well that once Bifauxen called out the bomb move the die was cast and nothing could be done to change the situation. Then he could safely back up his position as a scum player by yelling at Bifauxen with no risk of it costing him anything.

Now I don't know the rules very well, but it strikes me that if Bifauxen cannot make a another play (cancel the bomb, direct the bomb to another player) then Milky is probably scum. If she CAN make a change post bomb play, Milky is almost certainly town.
This post is premised on a misunderstanding of how the lynchbomb works and so can't be used to meaningfully implicate Milky. And similarly, because it's an error, makes me think HM isn't scum - scum would probably have corrected HM's understanding of the lynchbomb.

So I'm still really looking at Gwen and BBQ.

BT, you asked why I'm not suss on Tirade. Largely that's down to a gut feel on the way he's reacted to a bunch of things in this thread. He was really lovely at how Anidav borked D1. That secret message post was also pretty town.

I am also trying to get a read on Splode.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
Yeah bbq said I was suspicious too.
Still don't know why. Something to do with the way I type as opposed to my content. I'm still in the dark about that.

I'm going with instinct and coin flips here.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

That discussion b_t and I just had makes me revisit this post:

This post is premised on a misunderstanding of how the lynchbomb works and so can't be used to meaningfully implicate Milky. And similarly, because it's an error, makes me think HM isn't scum - scum would probably have corrected HM's understanding of the lynchbomb.

So I'm still really looking at Gwen and BBQ.

BT, you asked why I'm not suss on Tirade. Largely that's down to a gut feel on the way he's reacted to a bunch of things in this thread. He was really lovely at how Anidav borked D1. That secret message post was also pretty town.

I am also trying to get a read on Splode.

I wonder if anyone actually spotted that message?

He's poked his head out today to respond to being called out then nothing.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

black_tangled posted:

I think Tirade wasn't hoping that anyone would notice it at the time. Rather, he was putting down breadcrumbs so that later on he could say "Look, guys, I was never really suss on TOML, I laid some breadcrumbs at the time so that I could later point them out to you."

Sometimes breadcrumbs are intended to be read, but I haven't noticed that ever happening in Auspol Mafia.

Further info: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Breadcrumb

quote:

Another advantage to breadcrumbing is that it provides credence to any claim you make - if you claim to be a particular role and show a breadcrumb from very early in the game that reinforces your claim, it directly implies that you have been preparing to make this claim from the beginning of the game.

same sort of idea going on here.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Is it really breadcrumbing if it is that obvious?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gwynplaine posted:

Is it really breadcrumbing if it is that obvious?

what do you mean obvious

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

black_tangled posted:

I'm here, just as always phone posting during business hours so not too chatty.

Toml is bang on with the secret message bizzo from yesterday. I'll give a proper account for it after work but the short version is that I was positive bif was scum and tried to be clever about milking it for additional info.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

It just didn't really seem like it was meant to be an actual hidden message.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Gwynplaine posted:

Now that TOML has explained it it makes more sense. I initially thought people were supposed to genuinely pick up on it!

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I figured it was a joke.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gwynplaine posted:

Are you talking about the same thing everyone else was talking about? Because Tirade's hidden message was pretty drat hidden. To claim otherwise is absurd.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for awhile because you're new, but you keep doing stuff that's more and more suspicious.

Btw everyone I'm on the move this evening so I'll be checking the thread intermittently and phone posting.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Oh wait, sorry I see what you meant now, disregard that last post.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

black_tangled posted:

Now that TOML has explained it it makes more sense. I initially thought people were supposed to genuinely pick up on it!

Yeah, message was supposed to stay hidden and a counter train started on toml. It made deliberately crap arguments against toml but hopefully seemed strong enough that some of bif's scum friends could jump on board. Then at 8:30 I post my pre-written dramatic reveal, bif the scum dies and we'd have a solid list of suspects for today. But then toml and bif did their power battles and bif flipped town so it was all for nothing :(

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

##vote Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Fearless leader, don't do this. Or at least tell me why I'm under suspicion.
I might be able to explain myself.

I mean the explanation is almost certainly just "I have no idea what I'm doing" but please, if you have the time to do so...

We have bounced back from the edge of disaster. Lynching me will be a huge waste. Could be what finishes us off.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gwynplaine posted:

Fearless leader, don't do this. Or at least tell me why I'm under suspicion.
I might be able to explain myself.

I mean the explanation is almost certainly just "I have no idea what I'm doing" but please, if you have the time to do so...

We have bounced back from the edge of disaster. Lynching me will be a huge waste. Could be what finishes us off.

"I'm new, have mercy!" starts to wear pretty thin after a while. Mafia isn't that hard, it's just logic and probability when it comes down to it.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Maths isn't hard to some people either. It has definite rights and wrongs and logic to it but a lot of people struggle with it. Moreover, for a game that's not that hard a lot of experienced players have made a lot of goofs this game. I'm just posting how I post and how I will likely continue to post without actual experience. Aside from Mill's earlier advice I have no real idea how to post like any less of a moron.

Look, I'm not of particular value. I've been right about somethings that others weren't and may yet end up being right about others but basically I'm just thrashing, I get that.

Were this earlier in the game I wouldn't put up much of a fight. Towns probably better off without me confusing matters and I don't have enough experience to be of any real help. Plus, I'm probably really annoying, I dunno.

But one more town lynch plus night activities and we're finished. And I would be a town lynch.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gwynplaine posted:

Maths isn't hard to some people either. It has definite rights and wrongs and logic to it but a lot of people struggle with it. Moreover, for a game that's not that hard a lot of experienced players have made a lot of goofs this game. I'm just posting how I post and how I will likely continue to post without actual experience. Aside from Mill's earlier advice I have no real idea how to post like any less of a moron.

Look, I'm not of particular value. I've been right about somethings that others weren't and may yet end up being right about others but basically I'm just thrashing, I get that.

Were this earlier in the game I wouldn't put up much of a fight. Towns probably better off without me confusing matters and I don't have enough experience to be of any real help. Plus, I'm probably really annoying, I dunno.

But one more town lynch plus night activities and we're finished. And I would be a town lynch.

How do you know that one more lynch and night would be enough to finish us?

What do you mean you're not of particular value? Have we had any vanilla players?

As for the people trying to, once again, cast aspersions on me. I'm town and my role should be pretty clear by now. The people who have tried to say that I claimed that DJ and Gwyn were scum masterminds? That's a bad move.

I may more directly claim later given that I could use it to give TOML another day of activity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'll have a more detailed response when I get home but b_t, those posts against me? If you're town, what are you thinking? If you're scum, it's a pretty transparent ploy to drive a wedge between TOML and I.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
##unvote

##vote Gwynplaine

TOML, that's exactly what I was getting at before. I was asking how the bomb worked, and whether or not a player could withdraw or alter the bomb threat once it was made.

If it were possible, Milky is town

If it werent possible, Milky is scum

Now that I know bifauxen could alter her bomb command once it was made, I'm 95% sure he's town

And seeing as Gwynplaine has been fighting with Milky from day 1 and sounds kinda wishy washy in regards to why we should/shouldn't lynch I'm voting Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I don't know that one more would finish us, but if we have another bloodbath like night two, things sure as slag ain't gonna be looking good for us.

There's been quite a lot of vanilla from memory. Probably not a bad move considering there's some inexperienced player here. Can you imagine how bad it would be if I was a viglante? Or a busdriver?

We need a better suspect than me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TOML, I think I know Tirade's role, too, and I'm pretty positive he's town because of it.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Have I been fighting with Milky from day one?! I thought I only started today and only very slightly at that.

You're a little eager, HM

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Gwynplaine posted:

I don't know that one more would finish us, but if we have another bloodbath like night two, things sure as slag ain't gonna be looking good for us.

There's been quite a lot of vanilla from memory. Probably not a bad move considering there's some inexperienced player here. Can you imagine how bad it would be if I was a viglante? Or a busdriver?

We need a better suspect than me.

Dinobot player spotted

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Dinobot player spotted

Megatron is town-aligned. Means nothing.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

TOML, I think I know Tirade's role, too, and I'm pretty positive he's town because of it.

Look, my problem is just that it seemed no one was making much effort to back up this exact thing. Two scum can easily back each other up. To avoid a repeat of each other day that has happened in this game, I was trying to create some kind of dialogue and look at least a little outside the accepted herd wisdom.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Swing and a miss

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

black_tangled posted:

Look, my problem is just that it seemed no one was making much effort to back up this exact thing. Two scum can easily back each other up. To avoid a repeat of each other day that has happened in this game, I was trying to create some kind of dialogue and look at least a little outside the accepted herd wisdom.

I meant to say *investigate* this exact thing

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I reckon gwynplaine is hiding behind a cover of being a noob, but that only works for so long. I'd quote every one of gwyn's suss posts, but gently caress doing that on a phone.

##vote Gwynplaine

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

I prefer dj-bbq over gwyn.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I have been dropping subtle hints (subtle for me, that is) as to my role in all this but slag is just a cybertronian swear.

I didn't wanna just out and out say who I am. I figure that's probably a stupid or scummy or both thing to do.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

##unvote

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, are people really aren't getting how a draw in that thunderdome could have been the best possible result for town?

If TOML was scum and Bif were town, you'd want a draw to ensure that TOML dies and Bif (town) can still use her bomb to pick off another possible scum before they night kill her to stop it.

But, in an absurd twist, the town thunderdomed itself like some sort of surreal performance art.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

That was the only reason I voted TOML. I figured they were both innocent

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Also, are people really aren't getting how a draw in that thunderdome could have been the best possible result for town?

If TOML was scum and Bif were town, you'd want a draw to ensure that TOML dies and Bif (town) can still use her bomb to pick off another possible scum before they night kill her to stop it.

But, in an absurd twist, the town thunderdomed itself like some sort of surreal performance art.

No I think most of us understand what you were trying to do, I was merely stating that because you were trying to do it and it really would have been an overwhelming good for the town, you must be town.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gwynplaine posted:

That was the only reason I voted TOML. I figured they were both innocent

Your one saving grace might be that you can't be getting advice from a scum doc and yet continue to post this badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Another point:

Asphyxious may have just randomized the draw, but I doubt he would put two clueless noobs on the same team. If they both wound up on scum that would make for a lovely game. There are 2 clueless noobs, both by our own admission: Me and Gwyn.

I've had a number of known scummers call for my head, or at least actively cast aspersions in my direction, earlier in the game. Odds are I'm the town noob. Which means Gwyn is scum.

• Locked thread