Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

girl you look like a dishrag

i want her to sing the andes chucky song to me each night before i fall asleep

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

I only wish she looked like that the whole episode, that would have been some neat attention to detail.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

Careful bro - that's my girlfriend you're talking about.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

What a not-explicitly heartwarming episode. Many feels.

It looks like they animated the Andes Chucky credits using old school cel animation and paint techniques, nut I'm just guessing.

coathat
May 21, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I only wish she looked like that the whole episode, that would have been some neat attention to detail.

I think you're the one who needs to pay attention to details.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

AnacondaHL posted:

What a not-explicitly heartwarming episode. Many feels.

It looks like they animated the Andes Chucky credits using old school cel animation and paint techniques, nut I'm just guessing.

Nah it was digital.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh gently caress I used to watch the inspiration for Andes Chucky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JgdThoUM1M

There were a ton of old animes playing on Quebec tv in the late 80s early 90s. My mom's got an old tape where I'm like four year old and super hype to watch that show.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It would be too artsy for the show, but I was disappointed the Andes Chucky segments were in 16:9 instead of 4:3

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

unpronounceable posted:

It would be too artsy for the show, but I was disappointed the Andes Chucky segments were in 16:9 instead of 4:3
Just assume they were from the Andes Chucky movie.

Kind of a dumb question, but does anyone know what this tool is called?

I've looked up all kinds of things like offset straightedge and haven't been able to find anything. It would be really useful for a project I am working on.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

coathat posted:

I think you're the one who needs to pay attention to details.

At the very least it definitely wasn't there in several scenes, including right after that one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This is such a good show for de-stressing with. The characters they set out to make likable are just really likable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I don't watch many shows week to week but I really look forward to this one. I'll be sad when it's over.

Iroha was the same way; IDK how this is the same studio that made Glasslip.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I don't watch many shows week to week but I really look forward to this one. I'll be sad when it's over.

it's like you don't believe that shirobako isn't going to get a second season or something

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

IDK how this is the same studio that made Jiggly Heaven.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Myamori is trippin' serious balls right now, stress hallucinations are scary poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

aers posted:

But two of those are already confirmed

But are either of them Gothloli Baseball?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DamnGlitch posted:

PA Works is my favourite studio, but they're just inconsistent. For the highs they hit in HanaIro, The Eccentric Family, and this, there are pretty bad lows in Glasslip and RDG. I've just come to accept it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

aers posted:

But two of those are already confirmed

Exodus! and what else?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
P.A works is pretty inconsistent, and they also seem to try and mine the same idea of "teen/kids have relationship problems, with a twist on the setting"

So it was nice to see that they decided to just go "eh gently caress it. Adults are interesting, right? Do we know any adults? No? Well, what about us? Yeah, sounds good."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Andes Chucky sequences seemed to be digitally composited, at least, but they definitely did use some older techniques in it. I don't think it was just some filter run over it, I think they might actually have drawn and painted cels and backgrounds by hand, then scanned those and composited in digital.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Whatever they did, they clearly made the effort to make it look legit and whether or not it was 'real' or a slight of hand, it was really nice.

The Black Stones posted:

P.A works is pretty inconsistent, and they also seem to try and mine the same idea of "teen/kids have relationship problems, with a twist on the setting"

So it was nice to see that they decided to just go "eh gently caress it. Adults are interesting, right? Do we know any adults? No? Well, what about us? Yeah, sounds good."

I like that they do original project, but yeah I had high hopes for Glasslip from hearing the premise and... wow.

pandaK posted:

it's like you don't believe that shirobako isn't going to get a second season or something

I was surprised it was a full 2 cour, then elated.

I'm guessing movie instead of a second series though, if they do more. That's how it was with iroha anyway.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know how well Iroha did, but Shirobako is selling like hotcakes in Japan, and it keeps growing. It's one of the few series I know of where there isn't a huge dip in sales after the first disc was released.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

jrdbnta posted:

I don't know how well Iroha did, but Shirobako is selling like hotcakes in Japan, and it keeps growing. It's one of the few series I know of where there isn't a huge dip in sales after the first disc was released.

I don't know the numbers, but Iroha did good enough that they made a movie for it afterwards. It was definitely considered a success. I think Shirobako is probably a bigger one though, and it deserves to be.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah Iroha seemed to be more like a hidden gem but Shriobako seems like it's a breakout hit.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Daedalus1134 posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but does anyone know what this tool is called?
I've looked up all kinds of things like offset straightedge and haven't been able to find anything. It would be really useful for a project I am working on.

It just looks to me he's holding a straightedge up so he can press the handle of the brush against it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Understanding posted:

It just looks to me he's holding a straightedge up so he can press the handle of the brush against it.

It's not an uncommon technique (you can also see it used in that anime episode of Paranoia Agent, too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_7hkYZqcY

Of course you can just put the edge right on the paper and brush along it if you're using watercolor because you can just wash it and not worry about color contamination and having to replace it that often.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 20, 2015

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah Iroha seemed to be more like a hidden gem but Shriobako seems like it's a breakout hit.

That reminds me, I need to watch Iroha.

And it's still on CR. Good.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Whatever they did, they clearly made the effort to make it look legit and whether or not it was 'real' or a slight of hand, it was really nice.

Yeah Shirobako is very clearly a passion project for them and they're really going all out whenever they can.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

DamnGlitch posted:

I was surprised it was a full 2 cour, then elated.

I'm guessing movie instead of a second series though, if they do more. That's how it was with iroha anyway.

A movie about them making a movie.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

K. Flaps posted:

A movie about them making a movie.

That is beautiful and makes too much sense to not happen.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hanasaku Iroha averaged about 8500 units per volume, while Shirobako is doing around 10k sold per volume so far. Might still increase, though.
More importantly, Glasslip has almost been doing 400/volume!

Of course, Angel Beats did 34k on average, so they've had bigger hits.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, Angel Beats had that Key connection so all the otaku were gonna buy it. I actually did go back to watch Hanasaku Iroha after watching Shirobako which had just left me craving more SoL stuff and it was pretty good.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Superduper good news you guys! The director has tweeted that Yano and Hiraoka are not and never have dated!!

(2ch was on fire with the fear that Yano isn't a virgin)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

dammit mizushima

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no yano hasnt dated hiraoka because she was dating me

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

darkgray posted:

Superduper good news you guys! The director has tweeted that Yano and Hiraoka are not and never have dated!!

(2ch was on fire with the fear that Yano isn't a virgin)

Thank Haruhi God, the true fans can now sleep with their Yano dakis soundly instead of burning them after stabbing repeatly.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Phobophilia posted:

no yano hasnt dated hiraoka because she was dating me

Dude.... Nice.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

anime dudes are wierd

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem