Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

You should vote for the scum then.

P sure that's what I'm doing friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Chic Trombone posted:

P sure that's what I'm doing friend

Nah

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Byers is definitely scum Chic, I Promise You

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Opopanax posted:

That does sound like something I would try. I haven't been scum in so long and miss it dearly

Yeah putting it in words like that makes it sound pretty fun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

Gabe; he tried to keep pushing on the "you don't know what a boon is?" train even after EXAKT's mistake was pointed out, and that "Now I'm not saying I'm confirmed town here" aside in his big post was over the tope. I think it was a newbie scum mistake. I also think he's scumbros with Ecco, but the rest stands without Ecco being scum.

EXAKT's mistake is irrelevant. The important part is people's reactions to the slip. Narc remains a viable scum candidate for other reasons, mainly his massively hammed up "i am noob how 2 mafia???" routine punctuated by scumposts.

Also, your argument appears to be that Ecco and I are the most incompetent scumteam ever. I'd expect scumbros to be a little more subtle. Maybe something like this.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking they're probably both scum. I'd vote byers first though bc if Rarity is posting stuff like that thinking we don't know its fakeclaiming, they're probably pretty dumb/weak (sorrynotsorry) and I'd rather get the strong player out first.

Let's start off with a little bit of safe distancing...

Asiina posted:

These posts are bad, but I don't know if it's "new person saying a dumb thing and then hedging because they're new" bad or "new person saying a dumb thing and getting scolded by the scum team" bad.

Trying to hang Byers because he mimicked Rarity who might have been setting up her fakeclaim is a serious stretch of a case. It's pretty much unbelievable.

The immediately going back on it is bad too.

If you're going to suggest your dumb thing, then stick with your dumb thing. If not then why even post it in the first place?

I think both the suggestions and the immediate hedging of it makes him look bad.

Would vote.

Whoops, someone's on to it! Better try to get rid of them.

EccoRaven posted:

I agree with this post as well and would vote Asiina.

Byers2142 posted:

I would, but like most everyone else it's more guts than anything specific I can point to.

But not, y'know, being super obvious about it or anything. Just would like to vote them, for, whatever, no particular reason.

I understand everyone's arguments but I don't necessarily see the scumminess that they are talking about. The only one that kinda makes sense to me is Ecco because of what Byers was saying earlier.

Basically what I'm saying is I have no idea how to tell if anyone is scum that's why I'm mostly lurking. Right now I'm close to basing my vote on who has been really annoying and that's CPig.

It seems like day 1 is just a whole lot of speculation and nothing really to go on. Everyone is attacking each other based on random guessing. Can someone please explain to me how to identify scum so I can be better at this?

So far so good, it's probably safe to buddy up to your scum partner's case now, randomly, even though it completely contradicted your one and only read so far.

I'm not for/against voting for Asiina but can someone explain why you guys think he's scum?

Well gee scumbuddy I don't know about the case you're pushing on the person who fingered me, if only someone could convince me.

Byers2142 posted:

She. And for me, it's gut and vibes. I can't point to any post and say, "That's why." But when I read her, it just feels off.

Much obliged.

Oh, ha ha, here we are making the same argument simultaneously! What a random coincidence! *winks roguishly at the crowd*

There's a lot of harmless back and forth between the two. A really surprising amount; even considering how many posts Byers has made, I don't think he has nearly as many interactions with other low postcount players. It's also suspicious that for how quickly Byers is to pounce on "newbie mistakes" he has been entirely silent on Narc's posting despite some pretty scummy overtones.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##vote byers I want to be un-cynical and believe. Don't let my innocence down, Ecco

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Good Job, lets do this

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh, ha ha, here we are making the same argument simultaneously! What a random coincidence! *winks roguishly at the crowd*

Gabriel Pope you are my favorite this game. I hope you enjoy yourself and stick around this stupid community of ours because I just love every one of your megaposts. If I'm scum I am hereby not going to nightkill you no matter how convenient it would be, and if I'm town I'm going to murder everyone on the team that did kill you with my bare votes.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

##vote byers I want to be un-cynical and believe. Don't let my innocence down, Ecco

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all but lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

Man all these Byers votes ignoring the fishy night action claims just make him look more town.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CapitalistPig posted:

Im not saying I'[m a cop or anything, but Ecco is scum.

EccoRaven posted:

you caught me! I targeted Asiina last night, as I am a doctor.

EccoRaven posted:

she's dead??? :ohdear:

Completely 100% legit action claims, as according to noted Mafia Expert (tm) Byers2142. Facing a serious cop softclaim from nationally ranked pro scum hunter CapitalistPig and realizing she was only 8 votes away from hammer, Ecco panicked and made a sincere attempt at fakeclaiming doc in the hope that this masterfully crafted claim would stave off her impending lynch

or, failing that, force the town to reveal one of their most powerful roles.

I am annoyed that Ecco is trolling this much considering she's the only player I am willing to put any trust at all in and I don't want her to get herself killed/discredited, but I think goofing around D2 is not nearly as scummy as the ridiculous stretch lengths Byers is going to in order to paint these as serious posts worth adding to his ramshackle case against Ecco.

I think Opop is joking around too with his vig claim and he's not being especially productive otherwise, which is pretty suspicious, but there are better scum candidates on the table right now (Byers and Narc) so I'm not going to get on his case for it just yet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Why would I joke about the vig? That would cause too much trouble. I only claimed it to avoid confusion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Why would I joke about the vig? That would cause too much trouble.

Not as much as vigging our watcher :mad:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Gabriel Pope posted:

Completely 100% legit action claims, as according to noted Mafia Expert (tm) Byers2142. Facing a serious cop softclaim from nationally ranked pro scum hunter CapitalistPig and realizing she was only 8 votes away from hammer, Ecco panicked and made a sincere attempt at fakeclaiming doc in the hope that this masterfully crafted claim would stave off her impending lynch

or, failing that, force the town to reveal one of their most powerful roles.

I laughed really hard at this and hope that this post gets more accolades in the future

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Byers2142 posted:

CapitalistPig posted:

Yeah they do.
CPig, how would you know that?

it's a reasonable guess to make? Not having fakeclaims in a flavor-heavy game is a serious detriment to scum players. I cannot think of any game I have played where I have not received a fakeclaim as scum or provided a fakeclaim to players. It removes a critical part of Mafia, namely the scum being the informed minority. I think speculating on the fakeclaiminess of scum is barely worth considering unless someone claims something really ridiculous because Skyrim is full of a bunch of named NPCs and it seems like scum would have a pretty drat good chance of picking one randomly. We should probably let this subject molder under a pile of disused cheese wheels or whatever.

Then again I got two hours into Skyrim and gave up when my cat-lady's attacks had no apparent real effect on NPCs besides making them fall over. Goat Simulator is the better fantasy game.

EccoRaven posted:

I have literally never once claimed to be a doc ever in my entire mafia career, so...

this is an inane, pointless post and I hope you realize this

and yet you still look better than some players, you've got chops

---

Kinda want to vote Byers but I think right now he's just reading as frustrated town. CPig is being CPig, Ecco looks shady. Kinda wish we'd hear from some of our lurkers like AXE COP before Byers and Ecco get into it again and sink this thread into the depths.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ecco, my eyes were kinda glazed over by the end of your 5 page slapfight with Byers yesterday but at the time it looked like you weren't thinking of his scum. I want to believe this apparent lie detector thing you've got going on cause that makes today nice and simple but you've been sketchy with your other posts today. At what point did you start suspecting Byers and what made you think that way?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Rarity posted:

Ecco, my eyes were kinda glazed over by the end of your 5 page slapfight with Byers yesterday

Same.

It's almost enough to think that it was a deliberate attempt to create noise and drown out conversation in the thread, especially considering how much Byers repeated some of his points.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
So I case four people. They are all now voting me. Three of those people I case well before they start voting me.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I am annoyed that Ecco is trolling this much considering she's the only player I am willing to put any trust at all in and I don't want her to get herself killed/discredited, but I think goofing around D2 is not nearly as scummy as the ridiculous stretch lengths Byers is going to in order to paint these as serious posts worth adding to his ramshackle case against Ecco.

Ecco started trolling because she did not believe there was a town collectively dumb enough not to lynch her after her play yesterday and today. And yet we seem to be in a town who is collectively dumb enough to not lynch her after her play yesterday and today.

This is the case on Ecco. Yesterday, she acted on her knowledge of scum being provided fakeclaims, then when she realized she shouldn't have that knowledge she tried to backfill the reason a town person would believe so. When I began to case her, she repeatedly tried to steer the conversation away from her play and make it a conversation about set-up and game balancing, and when I would not let that happen she then started building a case on me,

Today, she came into the thread to find CPig had laid out a soft claim that made her scum, and so she made a fake doc claim. That claim was designed to either make the case go away or to draw out a counter, but when I stopped that she decided to start trolling instead. She had given up, which is why for a while it looked like a crazy person posting. Unfortunately, the only people who seemed interested in listening to my case yesterday were Chili, f_v, and Asiina, and now no one is even willing to consider it.

I've got two plays left to make. Here's the first:

Ecco, you are scum. You say I am scum. I'm done with this dance, and once of us needs to go, today.

Listen all!

This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was drat near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Something Awful learned. Now, when people get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two enter; one leaves.

Join me, Ecco. Join me, in Thunderdome THE ARENA!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

This is the case on Ecco. Yesterday, she acted on her knowledge of scum being provided fakeclaims, then when she realized she shouldn't have that knowledge she tried to backfill the reason a town person would believe so.

But she also instantaneously, instinctively understood exactly what information town players would have and what significance they would see in Asiina's claim and Chili/Narc's reaction. You're simultaneously arguing that she scumslipped on setup knowledge and that she's too smart to scumslip on setup knowledge.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

But she also instantaneously, instinctively understood exactly what information town players would have and what significance they would see in Asiina's claim and Chili/Narc's reaction. You're simultaneously arguing that she scumslipped on setup knowledge and that she's too smart to scumslip on setup knowledge.

I explained how a scum player could make the move she made. Hell, you admitted it as a possibility in your post, but then tried to poo-poo it away as "conceivable-barely." There's a difference between acting on knowledge you shouldn't have, and extrapolating based on knowledge you do have.

"I have a boon, and Asiina says that her boon is gained by hammering scum. Everyone has boons, but Chili/Narc don't seem to know what they are, let's call that a scumslip and vote them." That's a very simple, direct line of logic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

Then, when she realizes that she made a mental mistake and asserted that scum got a fakeclaim when there was no evidence as such for town to think that, she began to try and backfill that reasoning:

So Byers: had Ecco made her assumption about fakeclaims and then not "backfilled", would you have just said "well, at least she's not trying to justify it, will probably just leave it" or would you still think she's scum for the assumption?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

So Byers: had Ecco made her assumption about fakeclaims and then not "backfilled", would you have just said "well, at least she's not trying to justify it, will probably just leave it" or would you still think she's scum for the assumption?

It's the backfill and the reaction to my case that's scummy. I'd have asked about it, probably, but to make the defense for why she "thinks" there were fakeclaims given to scum with no pressure speaks to a guilty conscious.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##vote byers

Lots of reasons, he seems to be kinda freaking out right now but the most damning thing to me is his: "I won't vote anyone but Ecco today." Which is almost irreconcilable with town play to me.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

##vote byers

Lots of reasons, he seems to be kinda freaking out right now but the most damning thing to me is his: "I won't vote anyone but Ecco today." Which is almost irreconcilable with town play to me.

I nailed Ecco yesterday, everyone ignored it. Ecco came in even scummier today, everyone's excusing it. She weaseled out of yesterday, in part, by playing the "let's be reasonable and look at other people" card. I'm not going along with it again, so I'm going to play it somewhat petulant today.

If Ecco agrees to Thunderdome THE ARENA! then one of us dies today. If she doesn't, what's it say about her "Byers is totes scum" call she's leaned on today? Let's end this poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Epsilon Plus posted:

Kinda want to vote Byers but I think right now he's just reading as frustrated town. CPig is being CPig, Ecco looks shady. Kinda wish we'd hear from some of our lurkers like AXE COP before Byers and Ecco get into it again and sink this thread into the depths.

I'm not seeing frustrated town. Frustrated town players don't contradict themselves--and reality--in order to bend the facts to their case when convenient. Bad town players might, but as Byers frequently reminds us, he is smart and we are dumb and bad at mafia, so if his argument is terrible (it is) we must assume that it's deliberate.

Anyhow, we're not likely to get to a lynch without the lurkers coming back in anyhow.

Byers2142 posted:

It's the backfill and the reaction to my case that's scummy. I'd have asked about it, probably, but to make the defense for why she "thinks" there were fakeclaims given to scum with no pressure speaks to a guilty conscious.

Fair enough. So your argument isn't entirely contradictory. On the other hand:

Byers2142 posted:

Today, she came into the thread to find CPig had laid out a soft claim that made her scum, and so she made a fake doc claim. That claim was designed to either make the case go away or to draw out a counter, but when I stopped that she decided to start trolling instead. She had given up, which is why for a while it looked like a crazy person posting. Unfortunately, the only people who seemed interested in listening to my case yesterday were Chili, f_v, and Asiina, and now no one is even willing to consider it.

This is pretty slick. Note that Byers cherry-picks the three confirmed town players as being on his side, even though f_v was lukewarm and Asiina didn't buy in at all. It's very, convenient to be able to paint yourself as a long-suffering martyr supported only by the Truest of Townies, who luckily happen to be dead and can't disagree. Other people also addressed Byers's case and some even agreed, but they're not confirmed townie, so it's convenient to pretend they don't exist so that Byers can play the Only Sane Man card.

The only one that kinda makes sense to me is Ecco because of what Byers was saying earlier.

Some players' agreement is more convenient to ignore than others. :ssh: (Good Sir also gave the case as much consideration as Asiina did, and Glockenapfel actually agreed, but I don't think they're as suspicious as Narc.)

Note that at the same time that Byers is bemoaning the fact that Town Is So Goddamned Dumb and the only people who agree with him are the dead confirmed townies, he insists that Ecco is on her last legs, she's going to be lynched any minute now (just like she has for the past 48 hours or so), there is so much pressure on Ecco she is scumslipping left and right oh god the humanity. Look at Ecco flailing around, grasping at all these goddamn straws because she knows the end is near, except town is doomed because nobody will vote Ecco.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gabe, what are you going to do when I flip town and Ecco flips scum?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

I nailed Ecco yesterday, everyone ignored it. Ecco came in even scummier today, everyone's excusing it. She weaseled out of yesterday, in part, by playing the "let's be reasonable and look at other people" card. I'm not going along with it again, so I'm going to play it somewhat petulant today.

If Ecco agrees to Thunderdome THE ARENA! then one of us dies today. If she doesn't, what's it say about her "Byers is totes scum" call she's leaned on today? Let's end this poo poo.

And now Byers is getting desperate and is making the kind of gambit he's been accusing Ecco of making all week, except unlike Ecco there's actually real pressure on Byers.

Byers2142 posted:

Pilot my way out of the Negative Zone and back into reality.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If Byers flips scum I'm gonna take a good hard look at Chic.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Sandwolf posted:

If Byers flips scum I'm gonna take a good hard look at Chic.

More like Rarity.

Seriousposting, I make my vote on Rarity d1, byers comes in swinging to the rafters for her. I vote Byers today, Rarity comes in taking my super serious claims super seriously.

(No but seriously read this post and tell me it doesn't come off like "I need to make sure my scumbuddy isn't actually fingered before I bus him.")

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A PARABLE

When the final season of Breaking Bad was airing, AMC simulcasted with the episodes this fun little web thing that posted random bits of trivia as the episode went on (including a timer for when the next triviabit was coming, which was also a timer for when commercials were ending!).

Some of these tidbits included audience participation, questions like "who else did Walt say this to? A) B) C) or D)", or "How gruesome was that death! 12345678." They would end each episode that season (save for the finale) with one question: "How Does Walt End Up? Happy/Rich; Happy/Poor; Alone/Rich; Alone/Poor?"

Even though spoilers it was really really freaking obvious that walt was going to die alone and without his money, consistently after each episode that option would be in third or fourth place.

All those with ears, let them hear!!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

And now Byers is getting desperate and is making the kind of gambit he's been accusing Ecco of making all week, except unlike Ecco there's actually real pressure on Byers.

Pilot my way out of the Negative Zone and back into reality.

This is nowhere near the same type of gambit. Ecco, in response to Rarity's falvor claim D1, inadvertently acted on scum knowledge and tried to cover it up with no pressure on her. Ecco, in response to CPig's entry to D2, fakeclaimed doc to draw out a counter. Ecco, when pressed about doing so, pretended it never happened.

I am trying to force the thread to either join me and vote out the scum, Ecco, or vote me out before this game drives me insane.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Byers2142 posted:

Man I'm actually leaning toward voting Ecco here, but goddamnit this isn't helping.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Byers2142 posted:

vote me out before this game drives me insane.
vote urself if you flip town I will vote for myself tomorrow

and that's an Ecco Promise

no but seriously vote yourself. do it. vote. vote yourself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Abyssal Squid posted:

Man I'm actually leaning toward voting Ecco here, but goddamnit this isn't helping.

why would you vote for me the confirmed doctor???

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

More like Rarity.

Seriousposting, I make my vote on Rarity d1, byers comes in swinging to the rafters for her. I vote Byers today, Rarity comes in taking my super serious claims super seriously.

(No but seriously read this post and tell me it doesn't come off like "I need to make sure my scumbuddy isn't actually fingered before I bus him.")

This is predicated on the fact that I'm scum, so let's just make it official. Agree to Thunderdome THE ARENA! It's dying time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

My incredibly scummy contradictions and lies have been repeatedly caught and my strategy of pretending they don't exist isn't working, so I know I'm going down, but Ecco's goofing off makes her a convenient target so I might actually have a shot at dragging an effective town player out with me

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Byers2142 posted:

This is predicated on the fact that I'm scum, so let's just make it official. Agree to Thunderdome THE ARENA! It's dying time.

no? arenas are dumb.

you should vote yourself.

byers.

byers vote for yourself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

mr. pope tell byers to vote for himself, tell him it'll be good for him and the town and also that he should vote himself.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Why? It's a serious question; Gabe has spend thousands of words typing up me as scum and Ecco as town today. I've said previously I think he's overplaying his hand as a scumbro of Ecco's. Notice how he dodged the question in response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

no? arenas are dumb.

you should vote yourself.

byers.

byers vote for yourself.

No.

• Locked thread