Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Great Rumbler posted:

I know you can't really blame it on PItchford, but Duke Nukem Forever was a steaming pile of crap and I felt like I got ripped off after buying it for $2.
And that's when you played the DLC chapter and felt a little better about the purchase, right?

Lurdiak posted:

Is there anything you can do to the strafe per-alpha's data things or whatever to lower the volume? I'd like to listen to my podcasts while I experience high octane gameplay.
Well, if you're on any modern version of Windows, every application has its own volume control in the Windows volume mixer. That usually works for me when I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
From the perspective of someone who liked Molyneux's earlier games (and I really loved Magic Carpet - well at least at the time that I first played it), but has lost interest in his games for quite a few years and is only informed about Molyneux's activities and "credit" in the industry by the game "press", that interview actually really highlighted to me how unproffesional a game journalist can be, because he probably doesn't have to be professional (isn't RPS claiming to be just a blog? ).

I mean I get the negative predisposition towards Molyneux, and there are valid arguments to make for the case that he is overpromising stuff and exploits the marketing bluffs too much for his own good. And he also goes back on things that he promised. But the Waker guy came across as some random pissed off dude who was grasping at whatever he could get his hands on and harass/ attack Molyneux -and it was quite awful of him to repeatedly act like he was only trying to establish facts and figure out the truth when he was called on it.

And come to think about it, the whole thing about that guy who won that marketing ARG and didn't get his paycheck/profits share or whatever yet (maybe they forgot about him too, but then againhe didn't get to act as a god of godus yet too and won't for a while yet), should not really be something that I as a gamer should care about at all. Big whoop, someone didn't get his prize for tapping on a stupid mobile app. Oh, but Molyneux was behind the app thing and there is drama if we dig up the guy's story, so let's focus on that.

In the end the interview was very hard to go through for me, and that particular fault I blame on the interviewer alone. Molyneux did a lousy job addressing the more important matters, or dodging the stupid questions/attacks, and ended up saying stuff like he was in a hysterical state. I wonder if anyone would blame him if the actual interview had gone the route of
- Do you think you are a pathological liar?
- Go to hell, *click*.
And then probably e-mail some complaints to that guys editor, if he has one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It certainly is bad when a journalist points out the truth in an interview.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only crazies are defending Molyneux, it's just people are finding it hilarious how Walker is getting held up as a daring man asking the tough questions when the only reason he spoke up is because Peter's already gone downhill. A couple years ago he would been just another mumbling journalist awkwardly staring at his feet while Molyneux prattled on with another set of promises.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's the kind of interview you have with a game developer who's been questionable, and the kind of interview you have with a fraud and criminal. People are up in arms because they don't realise that Molyneux's been reclassified from the former to the latter.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

poptart_fairy posted:

Only crazies are defending Molyneux, it's just people are finding it hilarious how Walker is getting held up as a daring man asking the tough questions when the only reason he spoke up is because Peter's already gone downhill. A couple years ago he would been just another mumbling journalist awkwardly staring at his feet while Molyneux prattled on with another set of promises.

Nope. It's pretty much this:

poptart_fairy posted:

Both Molyneux and Walker can be labeled as fuckwits in the same interview, hth. :)

They can both be idiots. The journalist being a jackass or a horrible journalist, does not make Molyneux a better person at his job. Those both things can be true simultaneously, and both parties are responsible for the things they say in an interview. But there is a reason that the interviewer is the one "conducting the interview", and if it turns out terrible then, I don't know, maybe it's a bit his own fault.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnY0TdkXZwI

Just noticed something in Tim Shafer's video that made me laugh out loud. He voices his support of Molyneux in it and MolyDEUX has left a comment:

petermolydeux22 posted:

What lovely support from Tim. More importantly, Broken Age is nearing completion. I've been wondering what happens next since forever (January 2014). Imagine if the boy and girl meet at the end and they have triplets and send each one to a different location. Then the credits consists of a video of Tim playing a piano and singing in what is a new kickstarter video for Broken Age 2. Tim sings about being able to play as all 3 babies and their individual stories.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I dont really give a crap about RPS or if theyre good journalists or whatever but if you think about what he went in wanting to get out of the interview, the response he got from Molyneyx to the questions he asked and the response the article has received all over the internet I can't imagine how you can come to the conclusion that he did a bad job with the interview?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Even if you didn't like the RPS interview there are tons of others out this week that are also damning. I don't know why everyone is stuck up on Walker hitting a few off-notes in an interview as if it's as equal an offence as Molyneux walking out on his Kickstarter obligations in the latest in his career of broken promises.

AbstractNapper posted:

And come to think about it, the whole thing about that guy who won that marketing ARG and didn't get his paycheck/profits share or whatever yet (maybe they forgot about him too, but then againhe didn't get to act as a god of godus yet too and won't for a while yet), should not really be something that I as a gamer should care about at all. Big whoop, someone didn't get his prize for tapping on a stupid mobile app. Oh, but Molyneux was behind the app thing and there is drama if we dig up the guy's story, so let's focus on that.
That's because that guy and his prize was the whole point of Molyneux's previous game Curiosity. Or at least the only positive point, given it was also an experiment to see if people would pay for that thing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Pete admitted to lying in the pitch video of godus in order to secure the funding goal. He is a flat out scam artist stop supporting him you idiots.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So I think we can all agree that games journalism is 1) way too hard on dudes who habitually gently caress up over decades and 2) way too easy on no-name Twine developers.

Any sort of journalism that affords old white men who fail upward a comfortable and delicate respect out of decorum isn't really worth reading. It's funny to me because the actual problem with game journalism, before it became about women invading the playhouse, was all about how Gamespot and IGN and the like were supposed to be conducting consumer journalism, but they only did so from the standpoint of the producers - they were and are there to sustain the gaming public's interest in core industry games whether or not they're any good. Even though gamers hated, or claimed to hate, EA and Activision for their practices and stagnation, the gaming press had an exceedingly light touch. Big-tent AAA games and smaller fare seemed to be graded on scales a few points apart. It had no purpose but to tell you what to buy. It wasn't looking out for anybody but those white dudes who failed upward.

The Molyneux RPS interview is actual legit consumer journalism, or more properly consumer advocacy, because the publication positions itself as a surrogate for a gaming public that doesn't deserve to be defrauded. It shouldn't matter that Molyneux is a nice man that means well. The poo poo he pulled with Kickstarter was terrible and demonstrated either a pathological inability to face facts or a willful disregard for promises he made. He took people's money and stopped giving a poo poo about why they did so, lost passion for Godus, and dropped it.

Molyneux's too small-potatoes now to get a puff piece in IGN but if you really think he shouldn't be shamed for being a legendary blowhard who takes everything for granted, you could probably Kickstart an indie gaming site that really considers the plight of guys like him. The cover of our first issue will be Herve Caen in soft focus, and he'll tell us all about how hard it is to run a gaming company. We'll never directly ask him if he did anything wrong or improper because that's rude (rudeness being unspeakably ugly and fundamentally opposed to the practice of journalism), and he's a soft little boy with a precious, glassy heart that we need to keep safe.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 20, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Wezlar posted:

but if you think about what he went in wanting to get out of the interview, the response he got from Molyneyx to the questions he asked and the response the article has received all over the internet I can't imagine how you can come to the conclusion that he did a bad job with the interview?
Personally speaking, it's simple. Because I shouldn't and don't care about two of the three things you mention. I am meant to read through the interview and gain something from it. If it is a good read, if the questions are smart, if the answers are informative, if I think that anything interesting was said or extracted during the interview, then I find it a good interview. If it is a bunch of random stuff that I shouldn't really care about, mixed with questions that hide a general lack of knowledge about how the majority of kickstarter projects work (along with probably some negative opinion about kickstarter as a platform) from the interviewer's part, if the interviewee ends up making pointless threats and if at the bottom line it is generally unpleasant for me to read the entire thing, then it's a bad interview. Again, personally speaking.

Why should anyone give any fucks about what the interviewer's end goal was or how the interview was received from the internet (? and why is this still a thing that anyone cares about when it's definitely not a statistic to go by).

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
This article on the PM debacle has been linked before, and it's good.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

AbstractNapper posted:

If it is a good read, if the questions are smart, if the answers are informative, if I think that anything interesting was said or extracted during the interview, then I find it a good interview.

This has literally never happened except by accident in the gaming press. Because the gaming press is restricted to pr for the gaming industry. Partially because that's where all the money is, but also because that's all gaming companies AND consumers will permit. So I think you have crazy unrealistic expectations of what is possible for interviewers to accomplish.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

vmdvr posted:

This has literally never happened except by accident in the gaming press. Because the gaming press is restricted to pr for the gaming industry. Partially because that's where all the money is, but also because that's all gaming companies AND consumers will permit. So I think you have crazy unrealistic expectations of what is possible for interviewers to accomplish.

Have you read some of The Order 1886 reviews? Seems to me like people are exaggerating this gaming industry PR thing. Check out the Kotaku review... and Sony hyped this game up like you'd think it was the second coming. I'd have a little more faith .

Anyway, this is now a complete Molyneux thread hijack and I suggest we steer back to kickstarted games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't think that 5 years ago we could have anticipated that Molyneux would be enabled directly by consumers instead of cash-flush publishers (we hoped he would be out of the business, probably), but even so, it is kind of rich that the gaming press only intervenes to chide everyone for the poor wisdom of their choices only after they'd been made. They're more complicit in the creation and continued success of Molyneux than anyone outside of Microsoft

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Anyways. Only 29 hrs to go on everyone's favorite point and click adventure / shmup hybrid Starr Mazer, so if you wanna pledge, now's the time.

The art coming from this is drop dead gorgeous.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If anyone seriously thinks Molyneux will be harmed in any serious, long-term way by that interview, I have a lovely season pass for Brooklyn Bridge DLC to sell them.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Bieeardo posted:

If anyone seriously thinks Molyneux will be harmed in any serious, long-term way by that interview, I have a lovely season pass for Brooklyn Bridge DLC to sell them.

Does it include a pre-order bonus?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
hey just saying, john walker accusing peter molyneux of mental illness isn't "hard-hitting journalism", it's bullying

it's not Jeremy Paxman, it's just loving embarassing

gently caress molyneux but also gently caress walker

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
lol if you give a poo poo, but asking a pathological liar if he's a pathological liar in front of an audience is p cool imo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Segmentation Fault posted:

hey just saying, john walker accusing peter molyneux of mental illness isn't "hard-hitting journalism", it's bullying

it's not Jeremy Paxman, it's just loving embarassing

gently caress molyneux but also gently caress walker

you may only hate one person and one person only please respect the rules of this discussion

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Segmentation Fault posted:

it's just loving embarassing

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Basic Chunnel posted:

it is kind of rich that the gaming press only intervenes to chide everyone for the poor wisdom of their choices only after they'd been made. They're more complicit in the creation and continued success of Molyneux than anyone outside of Microsoft

Here's a short sampling of what some of the gaming press said about Godus back in 2012:

IGN posted:

But one thing is clear; this is not the Peter Molyneux of bygone years. This is a man ready to make amends for what he openly admits were “insanely big statements”. The first step towards this, he argues, was the decision to use Kickstarter. While some were quick to criticise the move, arguing that such a big name in the British development scene should have no problem getting hold of funding without turning to consumers, Molyneux is quick to disagree. This isn’t him begging; this is his penance.

Kotaku posted:

So, Peter Molyneux doesn't just need your money. If Godus becomes a reality, he sees every person that plays it as a development resource as crucial as the British pounds he's trying to amass with so little time left. He needs your time, too, and your insight. Sure, the future of his next project depends on it. But his home life may need your support, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Isn't there already a thread for this?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It makes them super happy because the game is bad right?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mr Underhill posted:

Anyways. Only 29 hrs to go on everyone's favorite point and click adventure / shmup hybrid Starr Mazer, so if you wanna pledge, now's the time.

The art coming from this is drop dead gorgeous.

These guys have been releasing at least one Kickstarter update a day and that's both amazing and annoying as hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People complain about devs who update too often or who focus too much on certain aspects that are peripheral to the game but being on the flipside and watching potentially good projects fail to hit their goals because the devs can't run a campaign is agonising.

It's almost worse when they just manage to scrape across the line due to people increasing their pledges or donating out of pity or whatever - so many of them would be better served if they ended their campaigns early, came up with a roadmap and tried again.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Yodzilla posted:

These guys have been releasing at least one Kickstarter update a day and that's both amazing and annoying as hell.

It also becoming the Smash Bro's of Kickstarter with all the cameo that other kick starter characters are getting.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People complain about devs who update too often or who focus too much on certain aspects that are peripheral to the game but being on the flipside and watching potentially good projects fail to hit their goals because the devs can't run a campaign is agonising.

It's almost worse when they just manage to scrape across the line due to people increasing their pledges or donating out of pity or whatever - so many of them would be better served if they ended their campaigns early, came up with a roadmap and tried again.

I really like how Grim Dawn is handing it. A massive write up every two weeks that is announced and linked on their twiiter and then posted on their forums. So easy to find but doesn't bother any one that does not want to read it.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
What is in you guys' opinion the ideal KS update frequency? Seems like it's a hard thing to balance between "gently caress, these daily things are annoying" and "I wonder if the dev team is still alive"...

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Mr Underhill posted:

What is in you guys' opinion the ideal KS update frequency? Seems like it's a hard thing to balance between "gently caress, these daily things are annoying" and "I wonder if the dev team is still alive"...

2-3 times a week during the fund-raising period, and then maybe once every month or two afterward is fine.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Great Rumbler posted:

2-3 times a week during the fund-raising period, and then maybe once every month or two afterward is fine.

Early on in production when a lot is changing once a week is nice, and it wouldn't be amiss when things are coming to a head either.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Great Rumbler posted:

Or in the case of Neverending Nightmares once every couple of weeks for eternity.

e: more like neverending updates am i right

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't see a problem with frequent updates if there are things worth reporting or talking about. I can, you know, choose not to read them like I do every now and then even with steadily paced projects like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity. I also liked a lot that inXile included a TL;DR at the top of each update. God knows how many times I read just that and archived the e-mail afterwards.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

if you're emphasizing one and not the other you're implicitly saying one is worse by omission, and you're also ignoring the fact that he was only as honest as he was compared to his usual shuck and jive because a reporter actually pinned him down and forced him to answer hard questions

The fact that you did not mention the holocaust in your argument is proof that you think the Peter Molyneux interview is worse than the holocaust.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Spooky Poo's Happy Hell just released a playable prototype so you can get a feel for the current state of the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/590439323/spooky-poos-happy-hell/posts/1141129

Warning: fairly unpolished (collision detection with enemies is wonky, camera is a little unwieldy, placeholder sounds) though entirely playable. It has controller support, too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hakkesshu posted:

It makes them super happy because the game is bad right?

They are, in fact, willing to pay more for a game with less hours of gameplay because it's so much friendlier on their busy schedules.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

They are, in fact, willing to pay more for a game with less hours of gameplay because it's so much friendlier on their busy schedules.

I live an exhausting lifestyle of playing videogames and writing about it for a living so I am relieved when the games that I play are short so I need to do even less "work" than usual.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

dijon du jour posted:

Spooky Poo's Happy Hell just released a playable prototype so you can get a feel for the current state of the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/590439323/spooky-poos-happy-hell/posts/1141129

Warning: fairly unpolished (collision detection with enemies is wonky, camera is a little unwieldy, placeholder sounds) though entirely playable. It has controller support, too.

This hit just as I was feeling nostalgic for Enter the Gecko so I've thrown in some, and hope to spread it around. It looks relatively basic and its hard to be super confident about a single person team so I have some reticence, but it definitely feels like a fun passion project and I always feel better about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hm, I've been considering that game and it's the first ks game I've considered backing in a long time.

A playable beta is a strong reassurance of eventual completion, and that might become more and more necessary as time goes on and more and more high profile kickstarter games end in tears.