Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macrame_God posted:

Sooooooo...they're ending Two and a Half Men tonight. Anyone watching?

Nope, sorry. Listening to Stephen Fry talk about fluid dynamics on QI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

IRQ posted:

I'm going to say no.

Yeah. I'm watching it out of sheer curiosity. Lots of fourth wall breaking. Even the people making this show wants it over.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
https://vine.co/v/OxEv9b7UbrY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

Yeah. I'm watching it out of sheer curiosity. Lots of fourth wall breaking. Even the people making this show wants it over.

And now they just had Schwarzenegger show up.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically a 30-minute episode that would have been perfect for Charlie to show up alive at the end being stretched to 60 minutes for no good reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

5 minute long scene making GBS threads over the entire concept of the show.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

5 minute long scene making GBS threads over the entire concept of the show.

They should title this episode "No Fucks Given".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

After all that they didn't even bring Sheen back.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

After all that they didn't even bring Sheen back.

"Winning" :downs:

Good a way as any to end that show I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like when shows like this end with "IF YOU RETARDS WOULD JUST GO AWAY WE COULD HAVE STOPPED WHEN THIS WASN'T HORRIBLE FOR US TO DO EVERY WEEK" so I'd give that a solid 3/5

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My wife watched it, which means so did i. Chuck Lorie really hate Sheen according to the title card and the rest of the episode.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I agree. The whole thing basically screamed "we regret not ending this show sooner".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys, Parks and Rec writer Harris Wittels is dead. He was 30.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

My wife watched it, which means so did i. Chuck Lorie really hate Sheen according to the title card and the rest of the episode.

Everything that came out during Sheen's meltdown certainly made him seem like a horrible person to work with.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
At least someone got a laugh out of this show.

Also Chuck Lorre is at least as much of a whiny dick as Dan Harmon, he just doesn't make shows anyone here likes so we don't talk about him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like when shows like this end with "IF YOU RETARDS WOULD JUST GO AWAY WE COULD HAVE STOPPED WHEN THIS WASN'T HORRIBLE FOR US TO DO EVERY WEEK" so I'd give that a solid 3/5

Man, now I'm thinking how great the finale of Family Guy is going to be.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Panel shows just really don't thrive on American TV. I'm not really sure why but American panel shows tend to be really bad and feel forced.

I got to thinking. Panel games work when they're run in the same mindset that handled Match Game in the seventies: the game was just a springboard for the panelists to riff off one another. And the people running it knew how to let a conversation run its course without trying to steer it the entire time. While Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and @Midnight have been good starts, it just took us this long for American producers to start latching on to the concept again.

That, and at least as far as game shows are concerned, there's been more pressure on productions to try and pack the same amount of show into a shorter run-time. That's meant a lot of producers are having to rely on editing as a tool to drive the narrative -- when it just used to be a way of cutting out flubbed questions and missed cues. It's lead to stories like a friend of mine being stuck in the audience at a Deal or No Deal taping for over nine hours on just one game, because the producers wanted to make sure that the result of every decision had the right reaction shots. As productions got used to the idea, it became the sort of situation where every problem is a nail when you realize you have a new hammer. The problem is that too much editing can strip out what makes a show unique and turn it into something kinda bland and sterile.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sleeveless posted:

Man, now I'm thinking how great the finale of Family Guy is going to be.

"Just let us die, let us die" ~ Every TV show past 4 seasons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

Also Chuck Lorre is at least as much of a whiny dick as Dan Harmon, he just doesn't make shows anyone here likes so we don't talk about him.
He hasn't provided wrap gifts to the crew. That's a 110% dick move.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Nope, sorry. Listening to Stephen Fry talk about fluid dynamics on QI.
I can never understand the local UK jokes, but drat it I can never hate Stephen Fry (well there are moments when I can actually). Glad one of the episodes was a David Mitchell episode too.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

DivisionPost posted:

Yes and it loving sucks. There's a memorial thread in RGD for anyone interested.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

gently caress, that's rough to see someone so talented go out so young. I'd just listened to the episode of You Made It Weird with him on it where he spoke openly about his struggles with addiction and how he'd come to terms with it and wanting to be clean.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When a show like Empire gets crazy good ratings, how long does it take for the network to turn that into additional ad revenue? If it's not until next season, there's no guarantee the good ratings will continue, a la Glee.

Similarly, when something like The Slap bombs, does the network have to pay back advertisers if the ratings are "too bad"? If not, there don't seem to be any bad repercussions other than needing to find a replacement.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cart posted:

gently caress, that's rough to see someone so talented go out so young. I'd just listened to the episode of You Made It Weird with him on it where he spoke openly about his struggles with addiction and how he'd come to terms with it and wanting to be clean.

Someone on Reddit (I know) posted that they were at what turned out to be his last stand up show like the night before he was found dead. He talked openly about his drug use but also talked about being sober. It's a hell of a struggle, and what tends to happen, particularly with heroin users, is that after falling off the wagon they take a dose they think will be fine for them, without realising their tolerance levels have dropped and that's how they overdosed.

It's insane to think the guy was 30.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

Similarly, when something like The Slap bombs, does the network have to pay back advertisers if the ratings are "too bad"?

What on Earth makes you think any network would ever agree to something like this?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

Similarly, when something like The Slap bombs, does the network have to pay back advertisers if the ratings are "too bad"? If not, there don't seem to be any bad repercussions other than needing to find a replacement.

Is it bombing? I only saw the first episode to see how stupid it would be. It sure looked like something that would keep the oldsters watching.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Holy poo poo. This guy was unnaturally funny. Jesus, this is terrible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sad to hear. He was down to clown :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is interesting. I didn't realize that AMC bought operational control of BBC America, but they are premiering season 3 of Orphan Black on all AMC networks. That's AMC, BBC America, IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

hcreight posted:

Your daily reminder that Roseanne rules: When she wrestled back creative control of her show, Chuck Lorre was one of the first people she fired because he was a lazy, misogynist hack fraud who got assistants to do all the work and then took credit for it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

weekly font posted:

Your daily reminder that Roseanne rules: When she wrestled back creative control of her show, Chuck Lorre was one of the first people she fired because he was a lazy, misogynist hack fraud who got assistants to do all the work and then took credit for it.

He also allegedly used to do plenty of drinking on the job, making his moralizing about Charlie Sheen all the more funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

weekly font posted:

So pretty much every boss ever?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

What on Earth makes you think any network would ever agree to something like this?
It's not the craziest thing that advertisers would have a clawback provision, like how bookstores can sell back unsold inventory.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

weekly font posted:

wasn't the rumor that the original Becky left the show because Lorre was sexually harassing her?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

weekly font posted:

You mean Roseanne who openly made the last season of the show and refused fired him because he basically wanted to make the show what Mom is now after he got sober. I"m not saying he's remotely a good person but he's better then Roseanne.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Slap is an absolutely amazing comedy.

Nothin' gets resolved by TALKIN'
\

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

sbaldrick posted:

You mean Roseanne who openly made the last season of the show and refused fired him because he basically wanted to make the show what Mom is now after he got sober. I"m not saying he's remotely a good person but he's better then Roseanne.

I dont know what any of this means

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I dont know what any of this means

You don't keep power rankings of the relative morality of TV show creative teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think he means that the words in the first sentence don't make any sense in the order they're written in.

• Locked thread