Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.

Dragonfall is my first experience with Shadowrun. I really love the feel of it.

After a few hours, I was in a mission that I feel is unbeatable with my team on Hard. It's a mission with just me, and a crew of substitutes (who I have no control over their builds) - but I'm a decker, and can only contribute so much to damage output. Like you mentioned, they seem to give you deckers when they're needed, so any time you think YOUR decker will be useful, you just have 2 baby-weak deckers. Ah well, I think I'm legitimately stuck, but that may not be a downfall of the game so much as me getting too used to being coddled by games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

The reason those games have splinter saves and Dying Light doesn't is simple for that reason: In those games, you have a legitimate use for it it, but in Dying Light you don't.

Unless you just want to play a bit again. In just about every game I play I like to save just before every mission/level/whatever so I can go back if I want. I can see no reason to not allow me to do this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's a fair point. I sure as hell wanted to play that school part again after I finished it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kimmalah posted:

As I understand it that ring was made to make it easier for people to stay within soul memory range of each other to play co-op more than anything to do with pvp.

I'd have to say this is pretty likely. If the PVP covenents, soul memory and general treatment of dark souls two didn't make it clear. From doesn't really give much of a poo poo about the people who want to hang out at specific levels and PVP honor duel forever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Can I write hardware in here? Because the Wii/WiiU sensor bar cables are loving ridiculously long.
When I set mine up I kept thinking "I thought this poo poo was made for small Japanese apartments, where the gently caress do these people set up their consoles relative to the TV, the mainland?"

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Feb 20, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Walking Dead: Season 2 -overall I like the game more that Season 1, but I remember reading something about how the different main character would make a difference in game, but there's no apparent downside to Clementine being a kid - she's got infinite stamina, can hack away at zombies with the same strength that the adults have, she's wise beyond her years and everyone wants to get on her good side. Hell, her small size makes her a better stealth fighter and explorer than adults. And of course whenever something critical has to be done it's Clementine's time to shine.

I like her, and when it comes to the TWD world her being a kid should make no difference - you're either capable or you're not and all that - but there were supposed to be some character underestimating you or trying to outwit you because you're a child and so far the only thing I can notice is that everyone is very honest with her.

I'm only halfway through the episode 4, so maybe that changes later.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Lovely Horse posted:

When I set mine up I kept thinking "I thought this poo poo was made for small Japanese apartments, where the gently caress do these people set up their consoles relative to the TV, the mainland?"

The room I had at my mom's house in high school was shorter than that cable in both length and width. I never understood.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Yet another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (and I swear I'm actually loving this game). I loving hate the Gigginox, both the regular kind and the Baleful ones. They are far and away the least fun fights in the entire game for me. Like, sure farming the Lagiacrus or Rathians for parts can get kind of tedious, but the Gigginox is just not fun. It spends way too much time up on the ceiling where I just plain can't do anything to it with my weapons, for some reason my awful sidekicks keep letting it kill them instead of retreating to heal, and somehow it manages to be even worse about spamming attacks than other monsters. Sure, it doesn't rely on lunge-attacks as seemingly its sole method of movement like some of the other monsters seem to, but instead it got into this loop of paralysis and knock-down attacks where it seemed to just repeat the same two moves over and over and I was rendered completely unable to do anything, while it just did that loop over and over until I died. My shakalakas, of course, just stood by and watched this happen.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Yet another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (and I swear I'm actually loving this game). I loving hate the Gigginox, both the regular kind and the Baleful ones. They are far and away the least fun fights in the entire game for me. Like, sure farming the Lagiacrus or Rathians for parts can get kind of tedious, but the Gigginox is just not fun. It spends way too much time up on the ceiling where I just plain can't do anything to it with my weapons, for some reason my awful sidekicks keep letting it kill them instead of retreating to heal, and somehow it manages to be even worse about spamming attacks than other monsters. Sure, it doesn't rely on lunge-attacks as seemingly its sole method of movement like some of the other monsters seem to, but instead it got into this loop of paralysis and knock-down attacks where it seemed to just repeat the same two moves over and over and I was rendered completely unable to do anything, while it just did that loop over and over until I died. My shakalakas, of course, just stood by and watched this happen.

Invest in barrel bombs and your life will be so much easier.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

The room I had at my mom's house in high school was shorter than that cable in both length and width. I never understood.

The cable isn't that wide.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

Last time I rearranged the house, I actually unfurled the thing and measured it. A few inches short of twelve feet. I've currently got the TV mounted on a wall and the Wii on a low shelf on the wall perpendicular to the one the TV is on and I still have a huge tangled mess of sensor bar cable :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Extension-Cable-Wii-Nintendo-U/dp/B002BFTXBE

Why does this need to exist? Who could possibly need that?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Szurumbur posted:

The Walking Dead: Season 2 -overall I like the game more that Season 1, but I remember reading something about how the different main character would make a difference in game, but there's no apparent downside to Clementine being a kid - she's got infinite stamina, can hack away at zombies with the same strength that the adults have, she's wise beyond her years and everyone wants to get on her good side. Hell, her small size makes her a better stealth fighter and explorer than adults. And of course whenever something critical has to be done it's Clementine's time to shine.

I like her, and when it comes to the TWD world her being a kid should make no difference - you're either capable or you're not and all that - but there were supposed to be some character underestimating you or trying to outwit you because you're a child and so far the only thing I can notice is that everyone is very honest with her.

I'm only halfway through the episode 4, so maybe that changes later.

Season 2's thesis seems to be that Clementine is some kind of zombie post-apocalypse ubermensch and the stuff that you're doing as her is supposed to shape whether she grows up into a humanist leader or a cold isolated survivalist.

Only they really shove it in your face over and over, to the point where having yet another adult monologue to you about how special you are or the game having Clementine making a :catstare: face whenever she does something mean is comical rather than effective.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure at that point you'll be out of the gamepad's working range.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Len posted:

At that money, you could just buy a wireless sensor bar for $4 more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChaosArgate posted:

At that money, you could just buy a wireless sensor bar for $4 more.

A wireless one is only $4 at monoprice, $8 after shipping.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Oh come the gently caress on

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.

I was playing and enjoying this, but I was getting to the point where I felt like it should have ended already. Then I got to a point where it looked like the majority of the enemies I'd be fighting from there on out were those "unkillable" things which sounded pretty miserable so I just stopped.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
If you want full difficulty on Hitman: Blood Money, you can't save. Hitman has pretty long and complex levels so it's really annoying that I have to lower the difficulty so I can jump on the PC for half an hour before bed. Nothing worse than getting tired, the clock ticking into time when you should be asleep and you just want the drat level to end. I really appreciated that Sniper Elite 3 let me have the full experience and still let me honestman the game. It's loving obnoxious not being allowed to save when you want. FTL's approach to this conflict between difficulty and convenience is perfect. You can save and exit but that save is deleted when you die.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Len posted:

That is unreasonably hilarious to me, attached to the cable you already have that's a loving corridor destroying 62 foot of cable ha ha

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A PRO A/V INSTALLER'S PERSPECTIVE posted:

At 50ft, a lot can go wrong. As an installer of pro audio/video systems I've seen so many hardware and cable types fail over the years that I really didn't have any reason to believe this Wii sensor bar extender was going to work at 50+ feet out. I purchased this cable for a customer who's equipment we were in the process of relocating to an equipment rack located roughly 40 ft from the display device. Prior to snaking and fishing the cable we connected it up to see rather this cable was going to work or not. As we fired up the system the room went silent as we anxiously awaited the results. A few short moments later - it worked! We had one of our techs play with the Wii for 30 minutes to ensure it would remain consistently reliable and it absolutely did. It worked just as it did before without the extension. We didn't notice any response lag or the like.

This Wii extender cable is perfect for anyone who needs a reliable sensor bar extension up to 50ft away (plus the length of the stock cable length). Excellent problem solver!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm picturing someone playing Wii golf stood 62 ft away from a 24 inch TV and I can't stop giggling :lol:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I bought my seven year old the new Kirby game, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. The claymation aesthetic is really cool and the game mechanics are actually kind of fun. But what the gently caress is Nintendo thinking? You spend 95% of your time looking at the WiiU gamepad screen. Why isn't this a 3DS game? Why have a big HD TV if the game is impossible to play while looking at it? I just don't understand Nintendo anymore. Their games look and generally play great, but it's like no one over there thinks about which system a specific game works better for. No Nintendo, I don't want to stare at the gamepad when I could be looking at my TV. This should be a 3DS game drat it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want Triple Deluxe on the Wii U as well.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

HairyManling posted:

I bought my seven year old the new Kirby game, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

The thing dragging Kirby and the Rainbow Curse down for me: I don't own a Wii U. :smith:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I was playing and enjoying this, but I was getting to the point where I felt like it should have ended already. Then I got to a point where it looked like the majority of the enemies I'd be fighting from there on out were those "unkillable" things which sounded pretty miserable so I just stopped.

Thankfully they disappear after that mission until the end of the game, by the time you see them again, you have a way to handle them. Also it was that point where I finally learned out to set overwatch.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Well, yeah. The sensor bar cable (on the Wii, I don't know about the U) is just power for the IR lights - there's no actual signal being related to the Wii from the bar.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing dragging Kirby and the Rainbow Curse down for me: I don't own a Wii U. :smith:

I'm sorry. Perhaps you could come over and play ours, then I could actually watch the game on a TV instead of the gamepad screen. :unsmith:

Edit: This Kirby experience has really solidified what I don't like about current Nintendo and brings a lot of what they are doing down. They keep implementing these ideas (motion control, 3D, and the gamepad screen) which are pretty cool when used the right way, but you're forced into using them whether you want to or not. I find that irritating.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Feb 21, 2015

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Far Cry 4 has a lot of mechanics, and sometimes these mechanics can interact in ways that totally gently caress up whatever the player was doing for the past half hour.

One of the skill trees has a perk that allows non-stop running. A prerequisite perk lowers falling damage, but to unlock the prerequisite, you need to liberate two outposts undetected. Once you get past the opening cul-de-sac, this becomes more difficult as more enemy types are introduced. That's fine, just have to be more methodical.

So I've hosed up liberating a few undetected, and I was just about to finish the second undetected outpost. The last guy is not far away from a shack, so I climb on the shack, run and jump at him to take him down from above.

Except right before I take him out, Ajay pops his wingsuit because I guess I held shift for a split second too long. I hit the ground and lose half my health, the guy notices me and shoots me. At this point I'm thinking of just giving up on those two skills and liberating every outpost in a hail of bullets and grenades.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about: The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality. After that, Homecoming takes place in Shepherd's Glen and Alex only goes to the town itself near the end of the game (and even then, not for very long). Downpour takes place ALMOST in Silent Hill and by the time Murphy actually gets there, your objective literally becomes "Escape from Silent Hill", which he then does via being absorbed into a flashback. The games have basically nothing to do with Silent Hill anymore and while I'm hoping Silent Hills fixes that, the s in the title does not leave me hopeful.

Like, the "Silent Hill curse" and the whole otherworld stuff loses some of its charm and uniqueness if it can be just magically blanketed over any area as long as the protagonist is a bad or unlucky enough person, and Homecoming/Downpour miss that nuance entirely. Origins, which came out just before Homecoming, while not an extremely good game, understood that; once Travis Grady escapes from the town the fog and poo poo don't just magically follow him. In the ending you literally see him drive his truck over one of the bottomless pits as the fog clears away and reveals that the road was just fine the whole time. Meanwhile, in Homecoming, Shepherd's Glen is just always like that even though its connection to the town and the town's curse is sparse at best. It even has a curse of its own and they still threw in a connection to Silent Hill!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Feb 21, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HairyManling posted:

I'm sorry. Perhaps you could come over and play ours, then I could actually watch the game on a TV instead of the gamepad screen. :unsmith:

Edit: This Kirby experience has really solidified what I don't like about current Nintendo and brings a lot of what they are doing down. They keep implementing these ideas (motion control, 3D, and the gamepad screen) which are pretty cool when used the right way, but you're forced into using them whether you want to or not. I find that irritating.
I agree with the motion control and gamepad screen but I turned the 3D off like fifteen minutes after turning my 3DS on for the first time and I haven't (intentionally) turned it back on since. I've heard good things about the 3D on the new 3DS, but the original 3DS had pretty awful 3D.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about : The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality.

Silent Hill 4 was actually supposed to be a spin off in the series to see if they could take it in a new direction. After some stuff happened in the studio they changed the name to Silent Hill 4 to make sure it would, at the very least, sell a few copies to keep them afloat. It's why the tone of the game gets so weird and disjointed from all the previous games.

To expand on this after 4 none of the Silent Hill games were made by the core studio ever again. It's why we have such stupid loving games like the PSP Vita one where it's a dungeon crawler hack and slash. Co Op horror games are amazing and they hosed it up. All they'd have to do is make it like the RE multiplayer game that was on ps2 for a few months before they took all the servers down and killed it.

If I remember right what brought Resident Evil Outbreak down for me was no local multiplayer. Oh my god I loved that game but the second it came out all the servers were down for good before it even had a chance. The developers didn't even really do much to make sure it'd actually worth all the effort either since all the scenarios were super short. They really should port it over to steam or something with a bunch of extras dammit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CJacobs posted:

Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me

The original writers and team havent been involved since 4.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Inco posted:

Far Cry 4 has a lot of mechanics, and sometimes these mechanics can interact in ways that totally gently caress up whatever the player was doing for the past half hour.

One of the skill trees has a perk that allows non-stop running. A prerequisite perk lowers falling damage, but to unlock the prerequisite, you need to liberate two outposts undetected. Once you get past the opening cul-de-sac, this becomes more difficult as more enemy types are introduced. That's fine, just have to be more methodical.

So I've hosed up liberating a few undetected, and I was just about to finish the second undetected outpost. The last guy is not far away from a shack, so I climb on the shack, run and jump at him to take him down from above.

Except right before I take him out, Ajay pops his wingsuit because I guess I held shift for a split second too long. I hit the ground and lose half my health, the guy notices me and shoots me. At this point I'm thinking of just giving up on those two skills and liberating every outpost in a hail of bullets and grenades.

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy a good deal more than I thought I would, but the random selection of traits and classes got tiresome fast. Sometimes the game will just give me a useless selection of mages with near-sightedness and vertigo and I just have to go get them killed to get a new selection.

MindlessHavok posted:

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.
Once you're far enough away you don't even need to worry about silenced weapons. You can stealth clear an outpost with a rocket launcher as long as you change positions after firing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

J-Spot posted:

I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy a good deal more than I thought I would, but the random selection of traits and classes got tiresome fast. Sometimes the game will just give me a useless selection of mages with near-sightedness and vertigo and I just have to go get them killed to get a new selection.

Once you're far enough away you don't even need to worry about silenced weapons. You can stealth clear an outpost with a rocket launcher as long as you change positions after firing.

You can use the M79 grenade launcher sidearm from the gyrocopter - every outpost is trivial if you bomb it from high altitude, and the AI usually can't figure out what's going on so you get it undetected as often as not.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CJacobs posted:

Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about : The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality. After that, Homecoming takes place in Shepherd's Glen and Alex only goes to the town itself near the end of the game (and even then, not for very long). Downpour takes place ALMOST in Silent Hill and by the time Murphy actually gets there, your objective literally becomes "Escape from Silent Hill", which he then does via being absorbed into a flashback. The games have basically nothing to do with Silent Hill anymore and while I'm hoping Silent Hills fixes that, the s in the title does not leave me hopeful.

Like, the "Silent Hill curse" and the whole otherworld stuff loses some of its charm and uniqueness if it can be just magically blanketed over any area as long as the protagonist is a bad or unlucky enough person, and Homecoming/Downpour miss that nuance entirely. Origins, which came out just before Homecoming, while not an extremely good game, understood that; once Travis Grady escapes from the town the fog and poo poo don't just magically follow him. In the ending you literally see him drive his truck over one of the bottomless pits as the fog clears away and reveals that the road was just fine the whole time. Meanwhile, in Homecoming, Shepherd's Glen is just always like that even though its connection to the town and the town's curse is sparse at best. It even has a curse of its own and they still threw in a connection to Silent Hill!

If it makes you feel any better, the upcoming Silent Hill game is looking more promising than stuff like Homecoming and Downpour (which I realize is a really low bar). It's got more competent people known for actually making good stuff at the helm. The demo was pretty creepy at least.

Then again it's got the "OMG Norman Reedus" thing too, so I guess we'll see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Silent Hill 4 was actually supposed to be a spin off in the series to see if they could take it in a new direction. After some stuff happened in the studio they changed the name to Silent Hill 4 to make sure it would, at the very least, sell a few copies to keep them afloat. It's why the tone of the game gets so weird and disjointed from all the previous games.

The devs debunked this a long time ago.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The original writers and team havent been involved since 4.

Yeah but that doesn't have much to do with the actual setting of the games, which is my complaint. I didn't like Downpour or Homecoming but neither of them have especially bad writing, though Downpour is a bit worse just because it kept introducing characters and then giving you non-choices wherein you can save them or not (but they then die anyway) like 5 minutes later.

Ironically enough, the dumbfuck hack-n-slash Vita game actually does take place in Silent Hill, so despite being awful in 99% of all areas, they at least got that 1% right.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Feb 21, 2015

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I agree with the motion control and gamepad screen but I turned the 3D off like fifteen minutes after turning my 3DS on for the first time and I haven't (intentionally) turned it back on since. I've heard good things about the 3D on the new 3DS, but the original 3DS had pretty awful 3D.

Yeah, I did the same thing actually. I probably shouldn't have used 3D in that list. A friend has the new 3DS and I played with it a bit. The viewing angle is better, but the effect still messes with my eyes after just a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CJacobs posted:

I didn't like Downpour or Homecoming but neither of them have especially bad writing

:what:

The writing in both was loving terrible. Homecoming in particular was basically just a movie tie-in game with different forgettable characters.