Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Rascyc posted:

That your case is grounded in thread manipulation, and you are taking it personally, and that you are the one that painted Lumpens post as ammo against newbies.

Thread manipulation:

blacknyte posted:

How unbelievable is the scale here? I'm talking about a set of four posts that show transparently obvious attempts at manipulating thread discussion. This isn't some convoluted theory.

Lumpen is my scum read. What are your scum reads?
Taking it personally was already covered:

blacknyte posted:

You are implying that I reacted emotionally to your vote, which I did not. You again do that in this post by saying I am playing defensively when it is pretty clear that I believe you are scummy and have a case and vote that supports that opinion.

Instead of waving away my vote, why not respond to what I've said?

Paintings Lumpens post as ammo against newbies? What even are you saying here? What is the criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
I cased Lumpen by saying that he was attempting to force the two newest players in the thread to make reads that would be gobbled up by the rest of the thread as awkward. It's pretty simple.

What painting did I do? I made a case and a vote.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
I'm going to step away from the thread for awhile. Rascyc looks really scummy from this exchange to me. He is taking steps to misrepresent what I've done to try to make me look scummy. I may vote Rascyc when I get back but will reread with a fresh mind - this particular discussion frustrated me to the point where I need to step away.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll answer later when I get some more time. Time is money!

I don't even remember that second response, if I missed a post then MB. Looks like it is from the start of the game though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

blacknyte posted:

I'm going to step away from the thread for awhile. Rascyc looks really scummy from this exchange to me. He is taking steps to misrepresent what I've done to try to make me look scummy. I may vote Rascyc when I get back but will reread with a fresh mind - this particular discussion frustrated me to the point where I need to step away.
You may need to up your game then cause you are making a poor show of it BlackNyte.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

Okay, I still immensely dislike this sentence. Pro-town moves, especially D1, should not dictate alignment opinion. Like every time I read this sentence I think to myself 'If Lumpen is scum or if Lumpen is town, Anidav's still sounds like a scumpost.'

Antivehicular posted:

In Mountain Goats, I got a ton of poo poo for too much equivocating/not being firm enough in my casing. (You can check that too! The post that you quoted as good town play got called so scummy in that game.) I assumed the local meta meant I should be firmer, so I gave it a try, and apparently that read scummy too?

I like Antitotatllytubular's response to Rascyc here. It's measured and reasonable and feels like the kind of thing a new player would pay special attention to.

blacknyte posted:

My gut felt better about the MMT case after writing it out and thinking about it a bit, but that doesn't mean I don't think Lumpen is scum still.

Blacknyte where else have you played, mafia? And for how long?
More on Blacknyte below.

___

Null on Bowmore, it's all empty posting so far.

Null on EXAKT, it's all empty posting so far.

Lumpen posted:

This is data. It doesn't establish a strong argument for alignment for any of them at this point, but it is valuable data to establish the kind of players they are, and as flips happen, it will be valuable data for constructing meta expectations for future games.

And I wholly disagree with the premise that the response a new player gives you based off one vote on d1 is indicative of the kind of players they are. The way they post in general is informative enough given the way they flip. Why did you personally insist on grandstanding?

Murmur Twin posted:

The firm insistance that the thing that generated the most discussion is anti-town, plus attempts to discredit my case, feel more fake than wrong. That's where the vote came from.

Murmur Twin posted:

I just find the idea that people think Lumpen was actually trying to get the new players lynched at the start of D1 to be crazy. Even if he was scum, and even if he didn't change his vote to Somber once discussion started, why would he do that?

Even though I disagree with Murmur I like the way that she considers that things that don't make sense to her, shouldn't make sense to town in general.

Opopanax posted:

##vote somber I have decided that his behaviour is, in fact, scummy. The nose knows

Opop is confirmed town. :3:

Rascyc posted:

But I hate AntiV's post more because he doesn't actually explain a thing and just cusses.

I disagreed with this at the time. Half the cussing in AntiV's post involved a Room reference. I thought it spoke to AntiV being unstressed and playing well in joke-phase.

Rascyc posted:

You are not silly. I disagree with the case, I think I said so earlier.

Rascyc posted:

Junk at this point, the original one was better. Now it just seems you have an agenda.

Rascyc, how could you think someone had a good case, but disagree with it? And how could you disagree with someone's good case, but not think they're scummy?

I personally didn't see a contradiction in what Lumpen did (i.e. the thing everyone thought was a good case) but immediately thought to myself that Blacknyte was scummy because it was a follow-up to his first case, an after-thought, as if he decided Lumpen was scummy and then went looking for reasons.

Sandwolf posted:

##vote Lumpen

I think AntiV's response was surprisingly eloquent and I don't think she's scummy anymore.

Sandwolf posted:

I disagree? In my years playing this game I've seen some rampant thread manipulation. I don't think Lumpen is doing that, but it's just something good to be aware of.

Lumpen pressuring the newbies not to necessarily be a D1 lynch topic, but to attract attention that could be used later or to unnerve newbies into misplaying a bit.

These come from a town mindset. They're full of content and the timing of making them is very townie.
____

Null on Somber. The second time I'm doing this in two games. It's a pattern.
(truthfully, the way i read somber is impossible to do on d1 so I don't even try). I like that he's agreeing with me a lot.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh a lot happened while i was doing that

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

blacknyte posted:

No, you could be defending your scum buddy or you could be talking negatively about the vote leader in an attempt to distance yourself the lynch when it happens. Lumpen's alignment is irrelevant to my case on you.

When you say I "could be" doing those things, is there something that makes you specifically think I'm more likely to be scum (as opposed to town who genuinely thinks Somber is acting scummy and Lumpen isn't)?

Rascyc posted:

I am feeling pretty sure BlackN is starting to reveal is scum inner self because he is resisting actually answering criticisms to his "best case". He is also openly not scum hunting and doubling down on a narrative he built from Lumpen's original post.

##vote blacknyte

^ people should actually read this one IMO and comment

On one hand, I feel like if he were scum, it would be an odd choice to go from casing Lumpen (a vote leader) to me (no other votes). It makes me think that he genuinely thinks that I'm scum. On the other, the extreme defensiveness at being prodded is suspicious, as is the complete refusal to even ponder that possibility that maybe Lumpen is town.

I think Somber or Lumpen would make the most sense as a lunch target as their flips would provide the most context for other peoples' votes.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ernie. posted:

oh a lot happened while i was doing that

Hah, I just had the same reaction after making my post.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

quote:

Rascyc, how could you think someone had a good case, but disagree with it? And how could you disagree with someone's good case, but not think they're scummy?
A good case to me is one that doesn't feel fake and was constructed with some thought. I can disagree with it though because I feel we can be wrong and would like to have the dialog to see where we might be wrong. The original case in question there was not half-bad and deserved a follow up. But it has just been doubling down on a thread manipulation narrative since then and that now smells fake to me (in conjunction with lack of scum hunting). His newest scum read is to read the guy criticizing his case.

It is like a scum who cased someone on believable grounds but have no where else to go with it. A real town would probably at least ask why would I consider Lumpen town or something peripheral to the case, or why I think anything I do. Instead he has gone combative and frustrated.

He lacks curiosity! :sun:

Okay now I really do need to do work.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Somber or Lumpen would make the most sense as a lunch target as their flips would provide the most context for other peoples' votes.

Even though Opop put his nose behind Somber, I don't feel like going after Somber today. Somber's always a stronger player later in the game, and he hasn't had a chance to actually play today.

Of course as I say this I realize Somber is at -2. Literally what the gently caress.

Rascyc posted:

His newest scum read is to read the guy criticizing his case.

It is like a scum who cased someone on believable grounds but have no where else to go with it. A real town would probably at least ask why would I consider Lumpen town or something peripheral to the case, or why I think anything I do. Instead he has gone combative and frustrated.

He lacks curiosity! :sun:

Okay now I really do need to do work.

I don't think so. Fact is he was voting Lumpen, and then unvoted to go for MMT. I can see why you laughing off his voting MMT can seem like you're misrepresenting him.

That said, I'm extremely extremely uncomfortable with how many votes are on Somber right now. I was thinking to myself earlier today that if Lumpen were scum I'd expect more resistance from his team since he's a strong player, but I feel like the scum are just dogpiling on Somber at this point.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Does EXAKT Science have a double vote? Why have they voted Somber?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Do you think he'll flip Scum?

Lumpen posted:

blacknyte, if you are Town, you seem to have fallen into a tunnel. I suggest you re-evaluate your premises.

Lumpen asking other people to stop parking their votes while his vote is parked on Somber...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

Even though Opop put his nose behind Somber, I don't feel like going after Somber today. Somber's always a stronger player later in the game, and he hasn't had a chance to actually play today.

That's a strange reason not to vote someone

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Ernie. posted:

Lumpen asking other people to stop parking their votes while his vote is parked on Somber...
Somber remains absolutely my most confident Scum read. My vote on him serves a Scumhunting purpose, in contrast to a contentless jokevote parked for a long time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ernie. posted:

I forgot EXAKT was in this game until you posted this!

EXAKT Science posted:

Can I just say that I am super annoyed that jokephase is over already? Why does day 1 need to be so serious?

Because Mafia is fun :) Have any of your opinions evolved in the last few pages of discussion?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I find it really interesting how polarized this D1 is, some clear lines have arisen with the sides dug in and professing points of view that the opposing sides can't seem to even fathom.

Time to make a List :)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

That's a strange reason not to vote someone

It's the same reason I've always adopted when not voting for someone having an emotional reaction. Is it really strange?

And it's the same reason I'm asking people to unvote Somber.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ernie. posted:

:flag: Thanks for this catch. It appears that it was a votefinder error from them voting someone who is not in the game. :flag:

Play on.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
D1 LumpenList

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Just putting it out there that I'm growing more suspicious of Anidav. He made sure to let us know that he wouldn't be around (as I mentioned in an earlier case on him) and that his vote on Somber was there to put pressure on him. He mentioned the cyclone which is obviously a justifiable reason to be offline...

Anidav posted:

I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

As for voting is concerned, there's a high chance that a cyclone will knock out my power tomorrow so I might not have another chance to post on day one after this.

I'm not sure what kind of poster Somberbrero is and at a glace it looks like a joke post with a joke vote. Since a cyclone is coming; I'm more than happy to add in a little extra pressure to get the joke posting out of the way.

##Vote Somberbrero

...but I checked his post history (more out of "is he ok?" than anything else) and saw that he's made a few posts in other threads since his last post in here. This makes me question (a) his making sure we knew that he wouldn't be here, (b) his leaving his vote on Somber, and (c) his not looking for other cases.

I have Anidav, EXAKT, and Sandwolf as people who I am suspicious of and would like to hear more from.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Note to self when I check this tonight: reread mt/bn posts cause I missed them I think.

I doubt I'll be around much tomorrow jfyi

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
@mt

Andi is in a cyclone condition iirc, check up thread

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

@mt

Andi is in a cyclone condition iirc, check up thread

I was just pointing out that it hasn't stopped him from posting elsewhere, is all. (I feel like an rear end in a top hat pursuing this line of logic to be honest, but did notice it and wanted to point it out).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

It's the same reason I've always adopted when not voting for someone having an emotional reaction. Is it really strange?

And it's the same reason I'm asking people to unvote Somber.

I don't really understand it though. How has somber not had a chance yet?

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Why is MMT in your totally town box?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, Lumpen, can we get some further analysis on your reads? I can see where you're coming from, even if it leans a little too much on the OMGUS axis of "who's been giving me poo poo?", but I'd like to know specifics on your convictions re: Ras and MMT. I'm not getting completely town feelings off of MMT, especially given the point mentioned earlier about how she was carefully dancing around actually calling Somber scum.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

blacknyte posted:

Why is MMT in your totally town box?
MMT's posting screams obviously Town. If MMT flips Scum I will eat a bug.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Ras and MMT are both posting the most clear, sincere, well-reasoned posts in the game. That they are agreeing with me and that I know I am Town helps. However, I don't see either of them as potentially buddying up or sucking up to me, which could cloud my judgment, I just see them as both being on the right track and eminently sensible.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not getting completely town feelings off of MMT, especially given the point mentioned earlier about how she was carefully dancing around actually calling Somber scum.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Somber when he pointed that out -

Murmur Twin posted:

I thought the fact that I was explaining why I thought your behavior was anti-town followed by vote spoke for itself, but in the event that it didn't: I believe that you are scum.

Why bring that up? Are you trying to imply that my argument is less valid because I didn't say the word "scum"?

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Lumpen posted:

Ras and MMT are both posting the most clear, sincere, well-reasoned posts in the game. That they are agreeing with me and that I know I am Town helps. However, I don't see either of them as potentially buddying up or sucking up to me, which could cloud my judgment, I just see them as both being on the right track and eminently sensible.

What do you think about Rascyc's numerous misrepresentations of my play in the exchange that happened earlier today?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Of course your argument is less valid if you're not calling me scum. You keep saying pro-town and anti-town, but the difference there is that those behaviors don't necessarily directly correlate to alignment. Right now I'm sitting out of the thread because I don't feel like engaging or trying to push. Is that behavior anti-town? Yep. Am I town? Yep.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I don't understand how Lumpen has read anything into Bowmore or EXAKT.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

blacknyte posted:

What do you think about Rascyc's numerous misrepresentations of my play in the exchange that happened earlier today?

Well I think Rascyc is full of poo poo and intentionally obfuscating issues. Like the direct antagonism towards you is not helpful behavior and I have no idea how you could construe it as such.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I don't really understand it though. How has somber not had a chance yet?

I feel like Somber's just not into the game. It's independent of alignment. Yes, everyone else is participating or have had ample time to provide content, but I have a reason to not vote Somber and that's because I want to be nice. You don't have to do it. But if we're going to go down the path of 'not participating is scummy' then I want valid reasons for why EXAKT and Bowmore get a pass.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Ernie. posted:

I feel like Somber's just not into the game. It's independent of alignment. Yes, everyone else is participating or have had ample time to provide content, but I have a reason to not vote Somber and that's because I want to be nice. You don't have to do it. But if we're going to go down the path of 'not participating is scummy' then I want valid reasons for why EXAKT and Bowmore get a pass.

If you look at the three somber posts where it's clear that he's trying, I think they sound like genuine scum hunting.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Somberbrero posted:

His behavior is anti-town and he should be dunked.

I'm voting Rascyc because Lumpen is difficult to understand and I feel more comfortable in my read there. Rascyc's behavior doesn't make sense to me. It's very strange that Rascyc would unvote for fear of a turbo, then come up with a different case immediately afterwards. Rascyc has played a couple games with AV now and I don't get how what she posted is any scummier than what she normally does. Her response is on-point and, as an aside, I'm confused why Murmur didn't seem to consider that when making a post about how she'd vote Anti and myself.

For example, this post rings genuine to me.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Somberbrero posted:

Well I think Rascyc is full of poo poo and intentionally obfuscating issues. Like the direct antagonism towards you is not helpful behavior and I have no idea how you could construe it as such.

I agree. I think I'd vote Rascyc at this point as well.

Actually, my list would be the complete inverse of the poles of Lumpen's list.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Someone call Capps so he can come in and talk about voting patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
D1 Blacknyte List Made From His White Horse

• Locked thread