Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Colonial Marines is considered canon so Hicks is still alive at least.

Maybe it will have O'Neal and Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, wasn't Colonial Marines called a sequel in gaming form so that we should now jump straight to Alien 6 :v:.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Everything is canon until it isn't.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
"Sorry Neil, your story ideas are interesting but Ripley is dead and the colony on LV 426 is not."

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So without reading the entire thread and exposing myself to spoilers, is this game generally considered good? The reviews seem to be all over the place and after Dying Light in particular, I try not to write off even semi-consistent negative reviews if the underlying concept seems promising, and it certainly does here. This would be the PS4 version.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

So without reading the entire thread and exposing myself to spoilers, is this game generally considered good? The reviews seem to be all over the place and after Dying Light in particular, I try not to write off even semi-consistent negative reviews if the underlying concept seems promising, and it certainly does here. This would be the PS4 version.

The negative reviews mostly seem to be "it's too hard it sucks" more than anything. There are pacing problems but most people consider it to be an excellent game with one or two humps that put people off, like the Medical section of the game.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The negative reviews mostly seem to be "it's too hard it sucks" more than anything. There are pacing problems but most people consider it to be an excellent game with one or two humps that put people off, like the Medical section of the game.

And even then, you can adjust the difficulty on the fly if you're genuinely stuck.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Medical and the other alien portions are great, the only two parts that made me want to quit were a couple of hallways where I faced a seemingly endless steam of enemies. I'm like 90% I was doing at least the first one wrong though because after I killed all the loving androids on the ninth try I found a bunch of vents in the floor.

Otherwise, awesome game. Every time the alien gets me it's like the 7th most stressful event in my real life.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Prometheus was a good movie imo. Also, so was Alien 3. gently caress Hicks and Newt

This is correct. Neither was what the audience expected (or wanted) so both were lambasted hugely, but once removed from expectations, they're both good in completely different ways (especially the Assembly Cut of Alien 3).

If you don't worry or care about continuity and poo poo (which you shouldn't) and take them on what they're trying to portray, both are good. Even goofy Alien Resurrection is a FASCINATING film, while not being a GOOD one.

Alien Isolation is really the only Alien game I'd call good except for Capcom Aliens vs. Predator and mayyyyyyybe Konami Aliens. I get the appeal of the AvP games, but I don't like any of them much (I probably played them too late down the line).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Darko posted:

This is correct. Neither was what the audience expected (or wanted) so both were lambasted hugely, but once removed from expectations, they're both good in completely different ways (especially the Assembly Cut of Alien 3).

Thanks! I was desperately trying to remember the name of the Alien 3 cut that made sense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

prussian advisor posted:

It's GOTY 2014 for me and this comes from someone who was completely disillusioned with the franchise and expected a disaster of Colonial Marines proportions and doesn't like horror games.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

prussian advisor posted:

I'm only a casual fan of the alien franchise and I played it on the 360 and I found it a great game. Its a great stealth game, and the probably the scariest game I played in a while. And if you are a big fan of the first 'Alien', it seems every square inch of space is a reference to it in some way. Ignore all reviews that are too low or too high as they are probably useless. If I listened to negative reviews, I would have never gotten titanfall, which ended up being a really fun muliplayer game.

I'm not sure how its priced on the PS4, but i got my copy for $35, and I saw it heavily discounted on the xbox marketplace at least twice now. So you might get a good deal it if you keep your eye out for it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Prussian, I think some of the negative reviews were due to reviewers taking the game's menu screen suggestion of playing on the "Hard" difficulty setting. That may be OK after you've learned the ropes, but I think it can be a bit much on a first playthrough. At least it was for me.

The game sort of teaches you how to play it as you go along. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it. I agree with the Game of the Year assessment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The negative reviews were probably mainly due to being FORCED to marathon it (to meet review dates), without the help of the Internet to tell them how long sections would last or how the A.I. worked or how to make general experiences better. Without other people to talk to and say "medical is rough, but it opens up after then,' or "don't hide or crouch, just walk unless you absolutely have to hide under something," or "don't full burst with the flamethrower," you could have a much harder and more frustrating experience, especially when not taking breaks.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

prussian advisor posted:

Did you like System Shock 2? Did you like Amnesia? If so, you'll love it.

It was my personal GOTY 2014.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I actually started out playing on Normal, then aborted and restarted on Hard once I hit a wall at medical. For some reason all my problems disappeared from then on. Don't know if the Normal AI is jankier or if I just allowed myself less margin for error, but I died a hell of a lot less once I made that switch. Gotta say, though, the whole "walk around like you own the drat place, don't run or crouch" thing seems really counter-inuitive after years of stealth games pushing crouching on you to the point where you could be forgiven for thinking Garrett and Corvo Attano are both three feet tall.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Darko posted:

...without the help of the Internet to tell them how long sections would last or how the A.I. worked or how to make general experiences better. Without other people to talk to and say "medical is rough, but it opens up after then,' or "don't hide or crouch, just walk unless you absolutely have to hide under something," or "don't full burst with the flamethrower," you could have a much harder and more frustrating experience, especially when not taking breaks.

This is very true. It was several of your posts in this very thread that helped me to get through Medical, which was basically a neve-rending nightmare for me at the time. I can't imagine playing for the first time as a reviewer, with no available tips to find on the internet. It could be pretty discouraging, to say the least.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

If you don't worry or care about continuity and poo poo (which you shouldn't) and take them on what they're trying to portray, both are good. Even goofy Alien Resurrection is a FASCINATING film, while not being a GOOD one.

Alien Isolation is really the only Alien game I'd call good except for Capcom Aliens vs. Predator and mayyyyyyybe Konami Aliens. I get the appeal of the AvP games, but I don't like any of them much (I probably played them too late down the line).
I love Alien3 and I liked Prometheus when I saw it in theatres, but haven't watched it since (and I've been meaning to). I had my reservations but I didn't walk out of the theatre thinking it was dogshit. I definitely think it shouldn't have been an Alien universe movie - it's interesting and novel enough on its own merits, and I feel the Alien connections work to the detriment of both movies.

Then again I also subscribe to the theory that the Space Jockey in Alien and the Engineers in Prometheus are not the same species.

Also continuity can be fun and Alien 3 and Resurrection don't have many problems. I hope Blomkamp's movie doesn't wipe them out. I know Sigourney Weaver is fond of Resurrection and what it did with the Ripley character, and she hopes and Alien5 will continue/resolve that story.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

TomViolence posted:

I actually started out playing on Normal, then aborted and restarted on Hard once I hit a wall at medical. For some reason all my problems disappeared from then on. Don't know if the Normal AI is jankier or if I just allowed myself less margin for error, but I died a hell of a lot less once I made that switch. Gotta say, though, the whole "walk around like you own the drat place, don't run or crouch" thing seems really counter-inuitive after years of stealth games pushing crouching on you to the point where you could be forgiven for thinking Garrett and Corvo Attano are both three feet tall.

Though if you sprint, you may as well be punching a hole through the floor with each step, as everyone in the currently loaded area seems to hear it. I think one of the loading tips recommends running when you can, but they might just mean your normal upright moving motion, rather then the full sprint.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Xenomrph posted:

I love Alien3 and I liked Prometheus when I saw it in theatres, but haven't watched it since (and I've been meaning to). I had my reservations but I didn't walk out of the theatre thinking it was dogshit. I definitely think it shouldn't have been an Alien universe movie - it's interesting and novel enough on its own merits, and I feel the Alien connections work to the detriment of both movies.

Then again I also subscribe to the theory that the Space Jockey in Alien and the Engineers in Prometheus are not the same species.

Also continuity can be fun and Alien 3 and Resurrection don't have many problems. I hope Blomkamp's movie doesn't wipe them out. I know Sigourney Weaver is fond of Resurrection and what it did with the Ripley character, and she hopes and Alien5 will continue/resolve that story.

I'd genuinely like to see Amanda make the move into the film part of the universe. It just feels like in any post-Resurrection timeline that too much mystery has come off the xenomorphs both for us as viewers but also for so many of the characters. WY has gone from being desperately curious but fatally naive to having a vast data library on what the aliens are and how they work. There's also now several no WY aligned people who've encountered them and lived to tell the tale.

Bringing in Amanda in for a pre-Aliens adventure with her having more information than WY would be much more interesting.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Honestly, Alien isn't really my thing. I loved the first one but that's because it was a great horror movie. The sequels were mostly action movies, there was less tension and the aliens weren't as scary since they had the budget to show them all the time. I'm not sold into the idea of a Queen either, eggmorphing is creepier and it fits into the Alien's body horror themes. Also (Isolation spoilers) it's scarier if a single alien can start a hive on its own, without needing convoluted explanations about how the Facehugger in the Anesidora just happened to be a Queen.

Isolation is great because it went back to that feeling of tension and defenselessness against an unknown enemy that the first movie had, and made an amazing survival horror game out of it.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Honestly, Alien isn't really my thing. I loved the first one but that's because it was a great horror movie. The sequels were mostly action movies, there was less tension and the aliens weren't as scary since they had the budget to show them all the time. I'm not sold into the idea of a Queen either, eggmorphing is creepier and it fits into the Alien's body horror themes. Also (Isolation spoilers) it's scarier if a single alien can start a hive on its own, without needing convoluted explanations about how the Facehugger in the Anesidora just happened to be a Queen.

Isolation is great because it went back to that feeling of tension and defenselessness against an unknown enemy that the first movie had, and made an amazing survival horror game out of it.

Regular aliens can morph into queens when the circumstances make it necessary, so it doesn't require an amazing coincidence for a single alien to start a hive. Just time.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Elman posted:

it's scarier if a single alien can start a hive on its own, without needing convoluted explanations about how the Facehugger in the Anesidora just happened to be a Queen.

Speaking of, it got mentioned a few pages back but not answered: where the hell did the facehugger in the Anesidora (not the original one, the one that jumps at you when you go visit) came from? I don't recall any logs mentioning Foster being facehugged, only the "unknown parasite" inside her, but if I remember correctly they die once they impregnate someone, so it can't be the one that got her, can it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of, it got mentioned a few pages back but not answered: where the hell did the facehugger in the Anesidora (not the original one, the one that jumps at you when you go visit) came from? I don't recall any logs mentioning Foster being facehugged, only the "unknown parasite" inside her, but if I remember correctly they die once they impregnate someone, so it can't be the one that got her, can it?

Pretty sure it's not canon, but I remember reading somewhere that queen facehuggers can implant more than once. So they could have brought Foster on board, the facehugger fell off and snuck away in the shuffle and hid aboard the ship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's implied in Alien 3 that a facehugger can lay 2 eggs. One queen, and one drone. It's in the movie, but it's one of those bad writing moments that the film was plagued with. (and I love the movie)

But I don't think there was any queen. If you look closely at some of the people in the hive, you can see them all scrunched up like Brett in the Alien directors cut. I think they went with egg morphing on this one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It's implied in Alien 3 that a facehugger can lay 2 eggs. One queen, and one drone. It's in the movie, but it's one of those bad writing moments that the film was plagued with. (and I love the movie)

But I don't think there was any queen. If you look closely at some of the people in the hive, you can see them all scrunched up like Brett in the Alien directors cut. I think they went with egg morphing on this one.

They've said in interviews there was a queen, they just ended up not showing it because if they did then the player would expect to fight it as a finale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tarbrush posted:

I'd genuinely like to see Amanda make the move into the film part of the universe. It just feels like in any post-Resurrection timeline that too much mystery has come off the xenomorphs both for us as viewers but also for so many of the characters. WY has gone from being desperately curious but fatally naive to having a vast data library on what the aliens are and how they work. There's also now several no WY aligned people who've encountered them and lived to tell the tale.

Bringing in Amanda in for a pre-Aliens adventure with her having more information than WY would be much more interesting.
I'm going to go ahead and recommend a couple novels and comics.

Aliens: Labyrinth stays very true to the first movie with just enough Aliens-style action to keep sequel fans interested. It's super-heavy on goddamn crazy body-horror in the third act, and the ending is perfect. It really plays up the angle of "no matter how much we think we've learned about the Alien, we don't know poo poo and it's lethal as gently caress.

It was done as a comic series first and then novelized; the novel is probably easier to find but the comic is better in my opinion. The artwork rules and the pacing and order of events is better.

Aliens: Apocalypse is straight up H P Lovecraft's 'At The Mountains of Madness', Alien-style and it's pretty solid and the art is great. It's also one of very few comics set between Alien and Aliens.

Aliens: Tribes is a literal graphic novel - it's written prose with (awesome) painted art by Dave Dorman. It starts out very Aliens-esque with Marines and big guns, but that starts changing pretty quickly once the narrative starts getting inside the characters' heads.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I stopped being a pussy and continued the game again in medical after taking a month's break. Goddamn the game owns so hard. I just went through the Derelict sequence and holy poo poo the atmosphere and visuals were just jaw dropping. Had to stop myself from constantly mashing the screenshot button inside the ship :v: .

Also, are SCJ injectors really that rare on hard difficulty or am I terrible at looting because I seem to be constantly missing those goddamn things, and subsequently running low on health?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Xenomrph posted:

I'm going to go ahead and recommend a couple novels and comics.

Aliens: Labyrinth stays very true to the first movie with just enough Aliens-style action to keep sequel fans interested. It's super-heavy on goddamn crazy body-horror in the third act, and the ending is perfect. It really plays up the angle of "no matter how much we think we've learned about the Alien, we don't know poo poo and it's lethal as gently caress.

It was done as a comic series first and then novelized; the novel is probably easier to find but the comic is better in my opinion. The artwork rules and the pacing and order of events is better.

Aliens: Apocalypse is straight up H P Lovecraft's 'At The Mountains of Madness', Alien-style and it's pretty solid and the art is great. It's also one of very few comics set between Alien and Aliens.

Aliens: Tribes is a literal graphic novel - it's written prose with (awesome) painted art by Dave Dorman. It starts out very Aliens-esque with Marines and big guns, but that starts changing pretty quickly once the narrative starts getting inside the characters' heads.

Thanks!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

Also, are SCJ injectors really that rare on hard difficulty or am I terrible at looting because I seem to be constantly missing those goddamn things, and subsequently running low on health?

In my experience scaling up the difficulty has a huge impact on drops, and stuff you find in the drawers, etc. Charges for the stun baton are the rarest of all, but I noticed a lot less flamethrower fuel, ammo, and the injectors on hard than on easy or novice.

As others have said, if you need to, you can change difficulty on the fly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Darko posted:

Yeah, when I first saw Prometheus, I thought it was pretty dumb. But it was a movie that kept me thinking long after I left the theater, and the more and more I thought about it, the more I started enjoying it.

Xenomrph posted:

Continuity can be fun until it starts interfering with the movie that you want to make. I honestly believe that the route they took with Alien 3 was one of the best choices made in that movie and I am glad we got that movie instead of the movie that the end of Aliens seemed to be hinting towards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair the end of Aliens hints toward Ripley, Hicks, and Newt returning to earth and living happily ever after.

Oh and Bishop I guess.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Eel hovercraft posted:

Drops seemed to be the same on hard as they were on normal for me. On nightmare, you are lucky to make a single med pack by the time you reach medical.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If Alien is a twisted look at rape, reproduction, and birth (and I think you can make a great case that it is)

...and Aliens is about motherhood, and the idea of a mother protecting her young by any means possible (again, great case for this)

...then Alien3 is about death. How you deal with not only the deaths of those close to you, but how you deal with your own death. So in my opinion the theme of the third film fit in well with this cycle. I still think it's kind of heinous that they offed Hicks and Newt that way, but it does fit this theme. I might have preferred that they went with the Dark Horse comics trajectory of "Wilks" and "Billie", but what they did do fits in better with the two earlier films. And as others have said, the "assembly cut" shows much better what FIncher was trying to do, there.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
@prussian advisor

I think its quite appropriate that the reviews are all over the place, as I found the game to be a mesh of great moments, cinematic environments and superb tension with some awful game-y plotting/structure/design that feels a huge drop in quality from those positive aspects. I played on PS3 though, it maybe that a bit more polish was put on the nextgen versions

As long as you can ignore some of the daft decisions, the experience of hiding from/being paranoid about/planning for the Alien is fantastic and worth playing the game for.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MrMojok posted:

If Alien is a twisted look at rape, reproduction, and birth (and I think you can make a great case that it is)

...and Aliens is about motherhood, and the idea of a mother protecting her young by any means possible (again, great case for this)

...then Alien3 is about death. How you deal with not only the deaths of those close to you, but how you deal with your own death. So in my opinion the theme of the third film fit in well with this cycle. I still think it's kind of heinous that they offed Hicks and Newt that way, but it does fit this theme. I might have preferred that they went with the Dark Horse comics trajectory of "Wilks" and "Billie", but what they did do fits in better with the two earlier films. And as others have said, the "assembly cut" shows much better what FIncher was trying to do, there.

And Resurrection is a very weird, weird look at identity and birth vs. adoption and stuff too. Unlike AvP and AvP:R, there are still strong, purposeful thematics in even Resurrection. That's the second biggest mis-step in AvP to me (outside of the direction and overall design of the movie that misses the feel and point of anything that came before it); it was just written to ape things that came before as opposed to trying to create a subtext or meaning or theme of its own.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I do love this game so, but a couple of things have really been gnawing at me.

One is a relatively minor thing, that has been brought up previously in this thread. There just doesn't seem to be any logical reason for that facehugger to be on the Anesidora. They couldn't have brought an egg back from the derelict, and it cannot be the same one that was attached to Marlowe's wife.

The second is a bigger problem. If there's more than one alien pursuing you in the early part of the game, it would better explain how one seems to be near you all the time. Yet after you escape the detached hazard lab or medlab or whatever that thing was, the alien is gone. You have that long stretch of the game where there are no aliens at all, which would seem to suggest that it was just the one hunting you all along.

If it was just the one though, there is no real logical reason for why/how it pursues you all over the station. You can take the transit car from one spire to another, which seems to be a considerable distance, and in no time, the alien which was hounding you at the previous spire makes itself known at your arrival point. And we know there are other aliens down in the reactor... why are they all just hanging around the nest? Seems like if there are unhatched eggs and viable hosts still alive, they would all be out stalking the halls looking for people to grab, wouldn't they?

And obviously if there were more than just the one rampaging throughout the station you wouldn't get the relief of the alien-free section of the game. If the answer is just "well... it's a game" then I have to deal with it. It has just been bugging me since my last playthrough.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's a game.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

One time the alien jumped into a vent above a door. I went into the next room through that door just as the tail of the alien disappeared above only to see her already stalking around the room when the door opened. The AI for her is great and all, but there are times she 'cheats'. She would need to be tethered to the player in some way, else you could end up never seeing her at all until you do something loud for an objective if she is freely roaming the entire station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It.

The Alien is an It. Even the Queen is technically hermaphroditic.

:spergin:

• Locked thread