Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

Game Info

It's Ryse: Son of Rome, Crytek's not-so-Crysis baby which was featured as an Xbox One launch title. What began as "Codename: Kingdoms," a tech demo built around Kinect in 2011, was born into this world a quick-timey, repetitive, hack and slash title with surprisingly very little Kinect support. We follow Marius as a mysterious force beckons him to cut off the glowing limbs of his foes to save his mythical Roman Empire from collapse. There isn't too much development info to this game other than that. Despite Ryse: Son of Rome being trumped up with direct support from Microsoft through media coverage an even a post-launch competition, the game was not very well received by reviewers and consumers alike. There are hints that Ryse 2 is in the works, but Crytek is playing those cards close to its chest, especially after Microsoft failed to boost their first iteration of the IP over the top.

LP Info

This is my first major LP (outside one or two forays here and there) so I'm expecting some gentle sempais on this one. Criticism is definitely welcome and will be taken into account. I intend to shuffle the cast of co-hosts around each episode as this game doesn't require too much thought except a basic understanding of previous plot points. The game is the PC release played at 30fps at a resolution of 1920x1080. My apologies for those hoping for a 60fps playthrough... Just think of it as my poor attempt to simulate that classic Xboney feel we all know and love. :v:

Collectibles will be featured in their own individual posts after each episode. Look for a link to each underneath the corresponding episode link in this post.

Extras

-Ryse: Sword of Damocles is a 3 part animated comic series offering more detail into Leontius' story to Marius about the made up mythical General Damocles and his revenge on those who abandoned him on the battlefield. I would highly suggest watching the first episode before reading these for context purposes, but in the long run, the Damocles story, in itself, adds very little to the over-all plot of the game.

-Xbox/Crytek's Pathetic Easter Egg Hunt - I've alluded to this before, but Crytek and Microsoft originally ran a contest to send signed merch and discs to the first people to find all the easter eggs hidden in the game. For the most part, they all suck. One easter egg remains undiscovered however, despite the game having been both an Xbox One launch title and been released on PC. Most players had trouble finding them in the first place so a guide was issued. With the hints, players were able to discover the first 3 listed, but the final easter egg, existing in the last chapter of the game, remains undiscovered to this day. I even spent time looking for it myself during this LP run and haven't been able to make heads or tails of it, though I do think I know where it is... Triggering it seems to be the problem...

Thread Notables/History 101 :hist101:

-Calax teaches us about sex in Roman society and some sexual myths regarding the real Emperor Nero
-TheBravestofLamps lets us in on Roman naming customs and why we just use historical shorthand for most famous Romans
-Astro Nut discusses the real Boudica and her motivations, tactics, and subsequent defeat against the Romans

Episode Links

I. CRYPTIC DAD AND THE FATE OF ROME (Chps. I & II) (Co-host: Tyty) [52 min]
II. LORD OF THE RYSE: THE TWO TOWERS (Chp. III) (Co-host: Poorly Written Novel) [42 min]III. REAL TALK ON AN AQUEDUCT (Chp. IV) (Co-host: Detective Grey) [40 min]IV. CLEAVING CLEAVAGE IN CLEVELAND (or Nevada) (Chp. V) (Co-host: Skippy Granola) [37.5 min]V. HE IS RYSEN (Chp. VI) (As hosted by: Tyty & Poorly Written Novel) [42.5 min]VI. MARIUS' NIGHTMARE IN BOOBLAND (Chp. VII - Pt.1) (Co-host: Tyty) [28.5 min]
VII. THE DARK KNIGHT RYSES (Chp. VII - Pt.2) (Co-host: PoorlyWrittenNovel) [31.5 min]VIII. MARIUS IS loving DEAD (Chp. VIII - FINALE) (Co-hosts: Tyty & PoorlyWrittenNovel) [44.5 min]

Chips Challenged fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
This was one of those games that reminded me of a modernized beat 'em up; something you'd see from Final Fight or Double Dragon, but with Romans. It's not complex, and it's short and really fun to play. It weirdly has some really good (and fitting) voice acting, too.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I'm glad someone is finally LP'ing this game. I've always wondered what it was like (don't have an xbone).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

From what I've heard this game is utterly horrendous with respect to history - not sure if it actually happens, but putting it in spoilers in case it is the case Boudicca leads an army to sack Rome, so I hope this thread is like the God of War threads, i.e. a general background is made with respect to ancient Rome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lessee...Flash Forward Marius has black armor, a special dagger, a dead family, a dad telling him stories about vengeance on incompetent commanders, he's alone with Nero (who is legendarily incompetent) and we're in a clumsy, boring cliche of a story, so this is all going to end in Nero being shanked.

I wish this was Shadows of Rome 2: Anime Rome Harder. At least then we could see Marius cutting a dude's arm off and cheering with it for the crowd, then throwing it at them for bonus points.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Triple A Console Exclusive Launch Title: The Game

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I actually thought this might BE a Shadow of Rome 2, which is why I first picked it up. I was heavily disappointed, but it's still fun regardless.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
I never actually played Shadow of Rome, only watched it, but I have to say the similarities are really striking, if you look for them, and I wouldn't doubt Crytek at least looked at it during development. The only thing is Ryse is a much simpler game, driven purely by plot with little need for skill to advance. It really feels like you're being lead through the game. Shadow of Rome really had a nice Adventure-RPG feel to it and I'd definitely want to see that make a return in a Rome-based game sometime. Until then its either this this or Total War.

As far as where Crytek got its inspirations, I just coincidentally finished HBO's Rome a few weeks back and the execution kills feel like they've been lifted right from the show. Now I'm not an expert on Roman sword tactics (pretty sure they discouraged dispersed 1v1 combat), but if you watched the show, if you died by a sword, it was likely cinematically jabbed into the side of your neck. Sure, its an anatomically great spot to "insta-kill" someone, but somehow I doubt Roman soldiers actually practiced this...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think it say a lot when in the first section on the bridge, yer told that the 18th legion is combat effective, but the standard that unfurls is for the 14th.

E: I am also dissapointed they didn't go with neckbeard Nero.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 19, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the part where the barbarian warlord's weapon turned invisible (while the flame coming off it was still visible) when you executed him.

Which is a shame because that was just after I noticed it was pretty cool how it was raining bits of fire onto the floor during the fight.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I can accept a fantasy version of Rome, buuuuuuut...

How the gently caress did a loud fight in the middle of the city attract no attention? Where were the Urban cohorts? Where are Leontius's hired thugs clients? His servants? Where was everyone until the forum battle? Where were the thousands and thousands of people living in this massive city? Why didn't they run to get their friends and gather a mob? Where were the Urban cohorts? How did the barbarians get into the city? How did they get into Italy? Why are they in Rome? What are these barbarians? Where were the urban cohorts? This isn't historically inaccurate, it's anti-logic.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Okay, I can accept a fantasy version of Rome, buuuuuuut...

How the gently caress did a loud fight in the middle of the city attract no attention? Where were the Urban cohorts? Where are Leontius's hired thugs clients? His servants? Where was everyone until the forum battle? Where were the thousands and thousands of people living in this massive city? Why didn't they run to get their friends and gather a mob? Where were the Urban cohorts? How did the barbarians get into the city? How did they get into Italy? Why are they in Rome? What are these barbarians? Where were the urban cohorts? This isn't historically inaccurate, it's anti-logic.

In the words of Leontius "All in good time, my son. All in good time..." You've signed yourself up for the greatest, historically inaccurate, action movie logic'd rollercoaster ride of your life and truthfully, it only gets crazier from here. I ain't spoilin' nothin' though. :v:

I actually cut out a whole section of commentary where I was just outright put off by the fact they butcher the fable of the Sword of Damocles when it would have made the same exact point, except it wasn't gorey and mythical enough to cut Crytek's muster. For those interested, I've done some digging to learn a bit more about the lesser known details of this game (you'd be surprised how you can beat the game twice and still be left in the dark... there's so little information on this game...) and I found out Microsoft commissioned a few comic books outside of the games collectibles.

Ryse: Sword of Damocles is a 3 part animated comic series offering more detail into Leontius' story to Marius about the made up mythical General Damocles and his revenge on those who abandoned him on the battlefield. Its actually somewhat decent, but it adds nothing to the actual plot of the game. I'd watch the first video to get some context though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like how the game can't decide on whether Damocles was a general or a centurion. Or how it couldn't even bother to latinize him to Damoclus or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
173 Augustus Statues

Focus mode is the same as going super saiyan. Godspeed :hist101:

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
So I haven't started recording the next episode (which will hopefully be much much shorter than this first one... Sorry about the length guys!) because I've been trying to come up with a good way to display the collectibles, especially the comic books. The Vistas are neat concept art from the game, but they don't add to much to the experience. The in-game comics though offer some unique insights to each chapter of the game. I prefer to show those off before I push any further into the game.

Games research is sort of an on-and-off hobby of mine. I'm familiar with ripping games apart and looking at internals, so I figured maybe I could find the texture files for the comics and vistas. Well, I kinda did. Problem is I'm missing some files and I don't have an easy means of extraction, etc... The usual problems when it comes to games research. My thinking was I'd post them as an aside to the LP rather than creating a video for each chapter to show off each collectible that was picked up. Slowly scrolling through each page not only sounds cumbersome to do, it sounds extremely annoying to watch. So would you guys mind if I delayed Chapter III in favor of a solution here? I want you all to get the most immersive Ryse experience possible, and finding the source files sounds like the best bet.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
So I sort of figured this game would not exactly be the Oxford Guide to classical Rome, but I did not know it would actually be this bad, mythologically. Damocles is a centurion now? From the period of the Kings? Or was he a general? And no mention of him being Greek? And barbarians are rampaging around in the forum in the middle of... when exactly are we again? Nero was running around in the flash-forward, so I assume this is the middle of the Judeo-Claudian dynasty, or the mid-first century AD? And who the hell are these random "barbarians", anyway?

Er... so... what can I find here then?

Um... the Fourteenth? Yes, so the Fourteenth Legion, Gemina Marcia Victrix (usually just called Gemina). Founded by Caesar during the Gallic wars in 57 BC. They were one of the units Germanicus took when he led his campaign to punish Arminius for the massacre at Teutoburg Forest, and fought in the Dalmatian campaign in 9 AD. Their biggest claim to fame was during the Britannian campaigns under Claudius and Nero, but something tells me I shouldn't say much more about that, in the vain hope, perhaps, that this game will find something to do with actual history.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Nero was alive from 37 AD to 68 AD, Yeah, he was 30 when he died (suicide historically). So, yeah, stay puft marshmellow emperor is a figment of pop culture.

Wait... is that the Colosseum? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress!? That building was only constructed AFTER Nero's death and on the grounds of what used to be his palace. People viewed it as Vespasian (The founder of the next dynasty, the Flavians) declaring that "Yeah, I won't be so pompous and terrible as Nero, and I'm giving back to the people what he took". If you really want me to, I can dig out the relevant passages from Tacitus and Seutonius.

Yes, I'm a history major who did his Senior thesis on Roman sexuality.

Also those statues should all be garishly colored.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Calax posted:

I was gonna mention this, too. Some day I wanna see a Roman story where the statues are all bright and garish and watch as people :spergin: about how 'unrealistic' it looks.

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009
Since you asked, I shall mention that the Goddess of the Hunt, is Artemis. :hist101:

Also looking forward to more history stuff from Calax.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

Turos Kensei posted:

Since you asked, I shall mention that the Goddess of the Hunt, is Artemis. :hist101:

Also looking forward to more history stuff from Calax.

Legit had the name on the tip of my tongue, but my mind wandered and all I could think of was "Art" Garfunkle. :v: Remembered right at the end of recording though and figured it was funnier left in than cut out.

Also yes, let's get some more History guys in here! I'm really loving the direction this thread is headed! I feel sorta bad about how negative a stance I took on the game so next episode I plan on being a little more positive. I'll keep making GBS threads on the historical butchery, but I'll lay off the quicktime bashing.The game introduces some neat features which get built upon for the rest of the game so expect my tone to change along with it as well.

And finally, an update on the collectibles! I've managed to get the files ripped and I'll be prepping them for presentation. Expect a post tomorrow or the day after. From there I'll be updating with videos followed soon after by a collectibles post pertaining to each chapter.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Turos Kensei posted:

Well, since we're in fantasy Rome, it's Diana.

Speaking of which, I have no idea what is happening with her pose in that statue. It looks like they started to model her off the iconic Diana of Versailles, then decided they had way too many copy-pasted emperors around and they should make an original goddess statue, but kept half of the pose. So this Diana is drawing her bow with a hand gesture that originally was meant to be pulling an arrow out of her back quiver.
(what I'm saying is her posture looks stupid and painful... which seems thematically appropriate to this game)

It is a very pretty fantasy Rome, though. Why nobody ever makes a 'barbarian tourist comes to gawk at the glory of Rome' game as a tech demo? They could even have quicktime events to steal fruit/evade pickpockets/interrupt stupid forum speeches with pithy one-liners!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta admit that HOLD X TO PILLAGE holds a certain appeal.
Anyway, I'm with you on the statues. I don't think I've ever seen a game that actually pulled this off realistically. Hell, even movies don't paint them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Calax posted:

I know Romans were staggeringly misogynistic, but were they as bad as the Greeks? And was homosexuality quite as... encouraged? My knowledge of Roman living is pretty much based off of 'I, Claudius' (sorry).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Samovar posted:

I know Romans were staggeringly misogynistic, but were they as bad as the Greeks? And was homosexuality quite as... encouraged? My knowledge of Roman living is pretty much based off of 'I, Claudius' (sorry).

Depends on what you define as "As bad as the greeks". Women were still seen as property to be tossed around between men, and their families (to the point that we've found a court record where a murdered prostitute's mother got money from the killer because he had taken away her retirement income, not because he'd just killed her daughter). And the male members of the family (well the heads of the families) would sometimes prostitute their female members in order to pay the bills. Not send the girls to a brothel or anything, but rather a man (or woman) would let a wealthy man screw his daughter/sister/even wife for some extra cash to make ends meet. The biggest example of this that we know of is from Seutonius

The Deified Julius Ceaser posted:

But above all Caesar loved Servilia, the mother of Marcus Brutus, for whom, during his last consulship, he bought a pearl worth six million sesterces and, in the course of the civil war, in addition to other gifts, knocked down to some extensive estates which were on sale at auction at a very modest price. Indeed many were astonished at the low price and Cicero wittily remarked 'The price was higher for a third was knocked off.' For it was believed that Servilia was prostituting her daughter, Tertia, to him.

Prostitution in general was a giant mess with this odd dichotomy about what was and what wasn't worthy of infamous status. For the uninitiated Infamia was a status that was thrown only onto certain professions and the practitioners thereof. The professions (Pimps, actors, dancers, gladiators, and prostitutes) were only joined later by adulterers and men who got penetrated. Basically an Infamous person was just a tiny step above Slave in the social orders and had a bunch of fun things attached to it like the fact that you couldn't be raped. Ultimately the point I made in my paper was that these positions were ones in which the Infamous person stepped out of their social role deliberately, and for a short time. Everything you were, are, and are going to be was wrapped up in your social role, and every action you took was to reflect upon where you were within the social order. Thus a man who got buggered was a horrific thing (because that was a role for women), and oral sex was a HUGE taboo because of the fact that when a citizen speaks, his mouth is working for all of Rome, and you would sully that organ by putting it on another persons genetalia.

Although it should be noted that there was no cultural black mark for slaves who were prostituted (male or female), only for freedmen and citizens. Ultimately, a rich man could have sex with anything in his household (barring his direct family) and be perfectly fine because it was his right as the head of the family. Once the slaves were freed their past as slaves was generally forgotten (except for the fact that they were slaves).

In a silly aside: Our lovely Nero, the nutter that he is, at one point tried to make a freedwoman his wife (against the laws enacted by Augustus), and then cut the balls off a guy named Sporus and "married" him. Treating the eunuch as an "Empress". How true this is we don't know because a lot of the Seutonius passage for him (and Caligula and Tiberius) is dedicated to basically demonizing them. Most historians don't think that Nero Caligula and Tiberius were actually that bad.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
I wonder if this game was originally supposed to be set in an outlying Roman territory like Brittania, Gaul or Germania. Barbarians invading Rome during the height of the empire is just silly but them attacking a major Roman frontier city like London or Paris was a thing which actually happened with some frequency. Likewise Marius's father (and Marius himself) being a relatively low ranking member of one of the invasion legions but also having a massive estate in Rome seems unlikely but makes some sense if their holdings are in conquered territory rather than Rome itself. Still setting it outside of Rome probably wouldn't let you show off the ahistorical but impressive vistas as much.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It could make sense for Marius to have a low rank. The military was seen as the way to promote yourself politically, with a tribunate position being the first stepping stone on the road to Senatorial class. That said, from the way the game is set up, it looks like they're trying to do the more modern "Military family that gets bogged down in government politics" schtick. Which is about as historical as old fat Nero.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Calax posted:

Nero was alive from 37 AD to 68 AD, Yeah, he was 30 when he died (suicide historically). So, yeah, stay puft marshmellow emperor is a figment of pop culture.

Wait... is that the Colosseum? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress!? That building was only constructed AFTER Nero's death and on the grounds of what used to be his palace. People viewed it as Vespasian (The founder of the next dynasty, the Flavians) declaring that "Yeah, I won't be so pompous and terrible as Nero, and I'm giving back to the people what he took". If you really want me to, I can dig out the relevant passages from Tacitus and Seutonius.

So, did romans really have breast inspection statues like those in the vault?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Yes and no... Yes they had erotic statues, no not those two particular types. Now, erotic wall art is something entirely different (most upper class roman villa's had a room that was basically wall to wall porn).

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Episode I - Collectibles Post (Chps. I & II)

Welcome to the first collectibles post. Below are the items Marius picked up as he made his way through the first two chapters of the game as featured in episode 1 of this LP. After each episode, rather than either wasting my time in the menus showing off the unlocked items or creating a separate video, I've simply ripped the sources files from the game to show them off in their own post. I'll be doing this for each chapter of the game a short time after each episode is posted. Items to be shown here include Chronicles, Scrolls, and Vistas.

Chronicles are a comic series pertaining to each chapter. You unlock pages each time you collect one in each chapter. They offer a side-story to each chapter which plays directly into the plot and better explains a lot of the ambiguity you get from a straight play-through. I really encourage every to first watch the episodes and then read the chronicles as there can be cases of spoilers. Usually though, the Chronicles tend to be eye-opening in terms of plot and are actually very well done in my opinion.

Scrolls are basically Ryse's answer to the classic Dog Tag collectible. Funnily enough, the developers referred to these internally as "Dog Tags." Scrolls, as you saw in game, were found on specific dead bodies scattered throughout chapters. Unlike most other games that would reward you for thorough Dog Tag collection with a warm and fuzzy feeling for 100%ing the game, Scrolls give you a bit of what I assume to be concept artwork with a personal note attached. Sometimes they'll play into the plot with a bit of clarification or maybe even a little foreshadowing. I really like that they spruced this type of collectable up and actually made going out of my to collect it worth my time. I didn't use the ripped source files for Scrolls because it actually renders quite well in-game so enjoy some nice screenshots.

Vistas, found on shields in-game, are just concept art for Ryse that Crytek threw in as a bonus. They're pretty neat and hey, they make nice desktop wallpapers!

Chronicles

Ryse: Son of Rome Chronicles - Chapter I

Ryse: Son of Rome Chronicles - Chapter II

Scrolls

Scrolls - Chapter I

Scrolls - Chapter II

Vistas

Vistas - Chapter I

Vistas - Chapter II

No Music?

So there's also a menu for unlocked music to listen to notable tracks played within the chapter, however I think Crytek wouldn't be too happy with me posting what is basically the official soundtrack to the game (I kinda feel like I'm already pushing it with the Chronicles as is...). For anyone really interested in that sort of thing, a simple search on Youtube should do it I bet. As it really doesn't add much to the LP, I won't be including any links here or in subsequent collectibles posts. Fun Fact: These unlockable tracks aren't the actual ones used in game. To clarify, the "music" is, but these specific ogg files are set aside in a separate folder and labeled as if part of an actual OST.

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
Count me in as another person with a degree in the Romans and no xbone following this thread. I will enjoy seeing how much more they mangle history!

I'm curious about the goddess who showed up in the middle of chapter 2. I don't think it was Juno, but they didn't really use any of the classic imagery to give us any hints. Unless the statue in the next room over was supposed to point to Diana. Doesn't seem like Athena/Minerva, and that's probably too close to God of War anyway. I hope it's Vesta. Vesta needs more recognition in current pop culture, and would actually make a modicum of sense.

...It's not her, is it? :(

For those unfamiliar with Vesta: she's the goddess of hearth and home, and her temple in Rome had an eternal fire that symbolized the hearth of Rome itself. The fire's continual burning was linked to Rome's stability and prosperity, and so Vesta ends up being a symbol of Rome itself as well as the protection of the city. To massively simplify it!

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

squirrelnow posted:

Count me in as another person with a degree in the Romans and no xbone following this thread. I will enjoy seeing how much more they mangle history!

I'm curious about the goddess who showed up in the middle of chapter 2. I don't think it was Juno, but they didn't really use any of the classic imagery to give us any hints. Unless the statue in the next room over was supposed to point to Diana. Doesn't seem like Athena/Minerva, and that's probably too close to God of War anyway. I hope it's Vesta. Vesta needs more recognition in current pop culture, and would actually make a modicum of sense.

...It's not her, is it? :(

For those unfamiliar with Vesta: she's the goddess of hearth and home, and her temple in Rome had an eternal fire that symbolized the hearth of Rome itself. The fire's continual burning was linked to Rome's stability and prosperity, and so Vesta ends up being a symbol of Rome itself as well as the protection of the city. To massively simplify it!
Its not too much of a spoiler, and it actually gets explained a bit later in the comics, but its not Juno. I wanted to issue a correction on that, but figured it would leave people speculating a bit. It turns out she's a fictional goddess called "Summer." loving rolled my eyes when there was a perfectly good pantheon to pull from, yet Crytek chose to make one up. I figure the only goddess that would technically match that description of Summer would be Ceres, being the goddess of agriculture. After some googling though apparently there's a lesser known goddess of Summer known as Aestas? I can't seem to find much on her, granted I didn't go past the second page on google and I don't feel like digging through academic sources... Anyway, she's just generally known as the "unnamed goddess" or "Summer."

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So uhh, what rank is everybody really? Because Damocles is a murderous centurion ghost capping various legates who were apparently his subordinates? Are they supposed to have been promoted between Damocles' death and his return or is it more of a case of "we have no idea what any of these ranks mean but it's latin so we'll just add it anyway"?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Chips Challenged posted:

Its not too much of a spoiler, and it actually gets explained a bit later in the comics, but its not Juno. I wanted to issue a correction on that, but figured it would leave people speculating a bit. It turns out she's a fictional goddess called "Summer." loving rolled my eyes when there was a perfectly good pantheon to pull from, yet Crytek chose to make one up. I figure the only goddess that would technically match that description of Summer would be Ceres, being the goddess of agriculture. After some googling though apparently there's a lesser known goddess of Summer known as Aestas? I can't seem to find much on her, granted I didn't go past the second page on google and I don't feel like digging through academic sources... Anyway, she's just generally known as the "unnamed goddess" or "Summer."

This whole "fake goddess" thing raises up one of my biggest objections with this game: namely why they made all of the changes to Roman history and culture for this game when there were plenty of other eras to choose from that would have still yielded interesting gameplay and environments.

We've been seeing these "barbarians" as our enemy in Rome itself at a time when the empire was at its mightiest, and it makes no sense to me why they couldn't choose a different time period to work with. What about the Punic Wars, where Rome itself was besieged by Hannibal's forces? It would make more sense, and the scale of the Punic Wars would allow for a number of different environments like Sicily or Africa. Or perhaps you could have a game taking place during the civil wars following the assassination of Julius Caesar? You could create some amazing stories revolving around people trying to decide who they want to support.

It just baffles me that all of these changes were made. From my perspective, the only thing they accomplish is annoying anyone who knows even a little bit of Roman history.

Asehujiko posted:

So uhh, what rank is everybody really? Because Damocles is a murderous centurion ghost capping various legates who were apparently his subordinates? Are they supposed to have been promoted between Damocles' death and his return or is it more of a case of "we have no idea what any of these ranks mean but it's latin so we'll just add it anyway"?

You have been watching this game, right? I guarantee you that they threw in the Latin to make it look like they did the research, and didn't actually bother to check it.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

He's just a made-up ghost who comes back wearing black centurion armor.

edit: I mean criticize whatever but the story is pretty clearly that he's (just) a centurion who was betrayed by his leaders so what don't you get?

Victis fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 22, 2015

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

You have been watching this game, right? I guarantee you that they threw in the Latin to make it look like they did the research, and didn't actually bother to check it.

The Latin is google translate stuff. It borders on Romanes eunt domus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Snark posted:

This whole "fake goddess" thing raises up one of my biggest objections with this game: namely why they made all of the changes to Roman history and culture for this game when there were plenty of other eras to choose from that would have still yielded interesting gameplay and environments.

We've been seeing these "barbarians" as our enemy in Rome itself at a time when the empire was at its mightiest, and it makes no sense to me why they couldn't choose a different time period to work with. What about the Punic Wars, where Rome itself was besieged by Hannibal's forces? It would make more sense, and the scale of the Punic Wars would allow for a number of different environments like Sicily or Africa. Or perhaps you could have a game taking place during the civil wars following the assassination of Julius Caesar? You could create some amazing stories revolving around people trying to decide who they want to support.

It just baffles me that all of these changes were made. From my perspective, the only thing they accomplish is annoying anyone who knows even a little bit of Roman history.

I'm guessing it's because Gladiator was about the Imperial era and the Germanic frontiers.

e: Discounting biblical movies, most Roman movies seem to be about Rome itself or the Western frontiers. There's probably some eurocentric bias involved, in addition to the choice of filming environments.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 22, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, so how do we know that the stautes of old were garishly painted? Written accounts of the time?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

OK, so how do we know that the stautes of old were garishly painted? Written accounts of the time?

Ultraviolet and infrared lights and x-rays, basically. And we know what kinds of paints the ancients had, so we can replicate them. That's how we know that Caligula was Joffrey Baratheon.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

In the fight at the end of the video, I liked all the centurions standing around just watching as you fought three guys at once. Half expected them to get the popcorn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Victis posted:

He's just a made-up ghost who comes back wearing black centurion armor.

edit: I mean criticize whatever but the story is pretty clearly that he's (just) a centurion who was betrayed by his leaders so what don't you get?
The cutscene made it look like he was the overall boss of the campaign and he was abandoned by his unit commanders.

• Locked thread