Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Heck, you're both right. I really don't know what any of that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I knew that didn't make sense, I shouldn't try to write things while people are annoying me at work on my break.

Basically the TV show Mom is what Lorre wanted to change Roseanne into, with Dan leaving her and dealing with the fall out from that.

While Lorre is well know as a huge jerk he seems to be better to work with then Roseanne especially after he got sober.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I don't know much about Lorre except some of the stuff I've read itt and read during Sheen's first meltdown but I'd guess it's safe to say that a guy who uses the last episode of the show that made him a fortune to take potshots at someone years after their beef and also turn his nose up at the pleebs who dared like his show enough to give him a few extra years of raking in the cash is a huge prick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also that bananas Two Broke Girls news conference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

He also allegedly used to do plenty of drinking on the job, making his moralizing about Charlie Sheen all the more funny.

There is nothing a person can do on this planet to not still have Charlie Sheen more unprofessional than they are.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Chuck Lorre is a dangerously insane human being.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do you have more gifs from the finale?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you have more gifs from the finale?

Knock yourself out

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
More people need to watch Banshee. It's probably the most consistently entertaining thing on TV.

e: Wait, Cheryl from Archer was Ashton Kutcher's ex on Two and a Half Men?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I kind of want to see this now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Nobody's favorite character, Larry, will not be in Season 3 of OitNB. Yay!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

NOOOO! How am I supposed to get my Jason Biggs fix now?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

Also that bananas Two Broke Girls news conference.

That was Michael Patrick King, not Chuck Lorre.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

What happened?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

you say tomato I say they're hackity hacks from hackworld

EDIT: ^^^^ Here: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/press-tour-2-broke-girls-panel-turns-ugly-with-racism-raunchiness-charges

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So the Emmy's just got some new rules and got even dumber and less relevant:

quote:

Definition of a "Comedy" and "Drama" Series: To clarify the difference between the "Comedy" and "Drama" series categories, series with episodes of 30 minutes or less are defined as a "Comedy"; those with episodes of more than 30 minutes are presumed to be a "Drama." All programs entering the competition this year will be grouped according to these new definitions.
See, something is only funny when it is shorter than half an hour (brevity is the soul of wit and all), and as soon as something runs longer, better open your tear ducts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you name any straight dramas shorter than an hour or any straight comedies longer than half and hour

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

What happened?

Lemme set the stage. 2 Broke Girls had just premiered, critics think that there's a charming, witty show somewhere underneath the rubble of racist caricatures and terrible sex humor, and they say "Hey, it's hard for a comedy to be on fire out of the gate. Let's give it a little while and see which wolf it feeds the most, so to speak."

The January TCA conference arrives. 2 Broke Girls gets its own panel. Critics are REALLY interested in seeing what the cast and crew thinks about where the show needs work and what they do best. And, really, what the deal was with all the problematic jokes.

Michael Patrick King, in turn, didn't take it too well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looking and a lot of other HBO shows are 30 and less.

EDIT: Looking can't be anything else other than Drama.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 20, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that actually makes sense, most of the shows that I can think of this affecting are borderline like Orange is the New Black.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

What on Earth makes you think any network would ever agree to something like this?

Because that's how it's done? If a show gets lower ratings than was promised to the advertisers who bought ads, they are compensated through refunds or given ad space during another slot to make up the difference.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Lemme set the stage. 2 Broke Girls had just premiered, critics think that there's a charming, witty show somewhere underneath the rubble of racist caricatures and terrible sex humor, and they say "Hey, it's hard for a comedy to be on fire out of the gate. Let's give it a little while and see which wolf it feeds the most, so to speak."

The January TCA conference arrives. 2 Broke Girls gets its own panel. Critics are REALLY interested in seeing what the cast and crew thinks about where the show needs work and what they do best. And, really, what the deal was with all the problematic jokes.

Michael Patrick King, in turn, didn't take it too well.

Probably my favorite part of the article I posted.

quote:

King asked the reporter for his name. The reporter gave it.

"So you're Irish?" King asked.

"Yes," the reporter replied.

"So we've identified your sexual problem," King said.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...tJf5fLQJs3Fu.99

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure that's all in the past and nothing like that would happen, say, today.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/20/us-sitcom-2-broke-girls-slammed-racist-indigenous-australian-joke

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Better was the quote from the producer of Midsommer Murders about why there were very few minorities on the show (which takes place in the village of Midsommer), he replied something along the lines of Midsommer representing the ideal English village.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

Better was the quote from the producer of Midsommer Murders about why there were very few minorities on the show (which takes place in the village of Midsommer), he replied something along the lines of Midsommer representing the ideal English village.

To be fair he said that while an ideal definition of "English village" might include minorities it doesn't, and the show is made for a certain audience who wouldn't want to see them. So, he was right, though very un-PC.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I stopped watching it because of the casual racism, which sucks because i have a raging man boner for Kat Dennings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just read the article (clip was broke) and I'm failing to even see what the joke was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The korean homie said he was in a online relationship with a part aboriginal woman, but she had a great personality.

Black Jesus had a WAY worse one if you're australian, but Charlie Murphy said it, so it's ok.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its been years since I watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls but the jokes were usually pretty much "Here's a shockingly racist caricature or comment... laugh at it because you're shocked because we're too lazy to write an actual joke."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its been years since I watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls but the jokes were usually pretty much "Here's a shockingly racist caricature or comment... laugh at it because you're shocked because we're too lazy to write an actual joke."

Not to mention the constant "straight line" / "joke" / "straight line" / "joke" rhythm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I know is reading that press conference article brings me back to the time when I too thought there was a sweet, heartfelt, and clever comedy in 2 Broke Girls between two talented comics with great chemistry underneath all the terrible, terrible poo poo. And then the show's creative was kind enough to say "No, gently caress that poo poo, you should walk away right now" and I was very appreciative.

I wish more shows were that honest and open about expectations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

And they actually stop and pose on the punchline.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason it works at all is because the two leads are literally BFF's in every sense of the word. It's almost sickening to watch them together off the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when it started Beth Behrs was kind of a revelation and the chemistry between her and Dennings was crazy. Its why so many people hoped it just needed to grow up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

The only reason it works at all is because the two leads are literally BFF's in every sense of the word. It's almost sickening to watch them together off the show.

Yeah any time it's just those two it's fun but then there is literally every other character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're both terrible and you people are crazy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually don't really enjoy Dennings at all in general. She's always way too aware of the cameras and "Ha, I made a joke" for me to enjoy. The only times I've ever enjoyed her was when she was going back and forth with Behrs.

The only other time I've ever seen Behrs in anything was a bad Lady Antebellum video so I have no idea about her.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Looking and a lot of other HBO shows are 30 and less.

EDIT: Looking can't be anything else other than Drama.

There is an option for shows to appeal the category on a case by case basis. So an hour long show like Jane the Virgin can argue that it is primarily a comedy series.

The only shows that would be affected are dramedies like Orange is the New Black.

A lot of people accused OitNB of being submitted as a comedy because the producers thought it had a better chance of winning in the weaker comedy field. After all, dramas usually trump comedies at awards shows, that's the reason for splitting up dramas and comedies. So this way Orange is the New Black is back to competing against shows like House of Cards and Mad Men, instead of comedies like Mike and Molly and The Big Bang Theory.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 21, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Don't forget the disability Kat Dennings' character has, which makes her able to communicate only in the form of a sex joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who would win: Ganiccus or Pullo+Verenus?

• Locked thread