Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

flavor posted:

I agree with most of what you say. It was about the way some people continue to "support" their arguments.

'some people'. You are still doing it. Stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flavor posted:

I agree with most of what you say. It was about the way some people continue to "support" their arguments.

Oh I agree, and arguments without data to support the argument is pretty worthless anyway.

Since Apple is issuing refunds on past repairs, what more can be asked? It's a far cry from times such as the 360's RROD, where MIcrosoft charged me $180 to fix the system, later announced extended warranty coverage but refused to provide a refund or even a credit of some kind when I requested it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

enMTW posted:

They actually are issuing refunds to cover the repair cost, but at this point - 3 years later - they should be paying loving interest.

My repair came to $680 tax-in but the Apple Store threw in various discounts and I ended up being only ~$190 out of pocket, $110 of which was a gift card I got from Apple during back-to-school.

Yet they are refunding me the $680.

*shrug*

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Pivo posted:

My repair came to $680 tax-in but the Apple Store threw in various discounts and I ended up being only ~$190 out of pocket, $110 of which was a gift card I got from Apple during back-to-school.

Yet they are refunding me the $680.

*shrug*

Nice!

SourKraut posted:

Since Apple is issuing refunds on past repairs, what more can be asked?

Having done so when the issue began occurring, instead of years later. Even MS wasn't this bad with RROD - it didn't take 3 years for them to admit it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

enMTW posted:

Having done so when the issue began occurring, instead of years later. Even MS wasn't this bad with RROD - it didn't take 3 years for them to admit it.

You keep assuming this problem is that level of apocalyptic bad when it clearly is not.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

BobHoward posted:

You keep assuming this problem is that level of apocalyptic bad when it clearly is not.

It's not an assumption, it's based in reality. Those GPUs die all the time. Google around. Or, you know, buy one of those machines and wait.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

enMTW posted:

It's not an assumption, it's based in reality. Those GPUs die all the time. Google around. Or, you know, buy one of those machines and wait.

All hardware dies with time. Googling for the issue says nothing about actual percentages of systems affected, only that it's a known issue. And as we saw with the iPhone 6 launch with the 8.0.1 update issue, a small (but very vocal) 0.5% or less of affected owners made a critical issue appear to be some huge, horrible problem.

If only 1-2% of systems are affected, well, that's higher than an ideal % of hardware failures but not some extremely horrible outlier. And given the number of 2011 15" MBPs sold (let's say 5 million), I would expect 100,000 systems having issues to result in significant customer noise. Like all such issues though, it's easy to forget that there's another 4.9 million that are ok.

Now obviously it could and probably is higher than that, but it's an issue where you can try and estimate how many systems might go bad off of known manufacturing issues/timeframes/etc, but it also depends upon so many other factors that many would likely never see the problem come up, or it might take several years. And it doesn't make sense to just up and replace the logic board in every single 15" MBP just because it has a potentially-affected GPU.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

SourKraut posted:

All hardware dies with time.

That isn't what this is. This is RROD, this is 8600m, etc etc etc. There is a reason Apple did a recall, and it's not 'hardware dying with age'.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

flavor posted:

A new guy joins this forum, immediately gets extremely aggressive and abusive to lots of regular and constructive posters when his arguments are countered, you see this and instead of giving him so much as a six-hour probation, your impulse is to call the people who argued against him "fanboys" in an also expletive-filled post, and we're supposed to regard this as a level-headed resolution of that discussion.

It doesn't matter at all what side the guy took or even which possibly legitimate points he had because he went out of line in extreme ways and poisoned the discussion while others remained civil, but you're effectively arguing that his posts are just as good as the ones from those others.
You are the lovely poster in this exchange. enMTW joined and then made a small handful of good useful posts in this thread before you flew into a fanboy rage at him for nothing. enMTW shouldn't be proud of his posts after you started that stupid argument, but neither should anyone else, because they were pretty bad.

enMTW: If you can find any factual evidence backing up failure rates that would be great (also probably pretty hard), otherwise I think we've pretty much stated our arguments and there isn't much value to going back-and-forth here. More generally to everyone and like I said above, if you think you have a constructive post to make I'm not closing any discussion off, just asking that you consider whether the post you are about to make adds value or just continues an argument that was never very interesting or useful to anyone.

Also, enMTW, I'd PM this but since you don't have plat: People have made some bad posts directed at you, but I need to be clear that you have made very bad posts directed back at them. Several of them would have gotten you probated except for how inflammatory the posts you were responding to were. In the future, try not to get drawn into stupid arguments, and if you are arguing with people, try not to be a dick about it. Definitely don't try to out-lovely-post, and it sucks when people cheerlead against you but definitely don't try to cheerlead back or gloat. I thought I was saying this earlier but I guess it was not sufficiently clear.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 20, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Alereon posted:

Also, enMTW, I'd PM this but since you don't have plat: People have made some bad posts directed at you, but I need to be clear that you have made very bad posts directed back at them. Several of them would have gotten you probated except for how inflammatory the posts you were responding to were. In the future, try not to get drawn into stupid arguments, and if you are arguing with people, try not to be a dick about it. Definitely don't try to out-lovely-post, and it sucks when people cheerlead against you but definitely don't try to cheerlead back or gloat. I thought I was saying this earlier but I guess it was not sufficiently clear.

Got it, thanka.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 20, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Oooh-kay, if that's all over now...

I don't even know if this is the right thread, but I have a pretty weird question. Can I somehow plug my mac onto a VCR, record stuff on it, then somehow transfer it back to my computer, preferably so that it goes through an old TV as well? I basically want to run some video through a VHS tape.

I basically want to do this but skip the xbox:

quote:

Johnson plugs short, repeating videos into an Xbox 360 through its USB port, and then feeds that into a VCR. The output is projected on to an old CRT TV he bought from a thrift store. He then manipulates a frayed RCA cable that runs from the Xbox to the VCR while it's recording in order to interrupt the signal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 20, 2015

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Alereon posted:

You are the lovely poster in this exchange. enMTW joined and then made a small handful of good useful posts in this thread before you flew into a fanboy rage at him for nothing.

If you look at the amount and tone of my posts in that exchange and his out-of-proportion reactions, then I don't know you can even consider that in the same ballpark. I didn't tell anyone to go gently caress themselves, that they're retards or that they have yet to post anything useful here, but somehow to you it's all equivalent, if not worse.

What you seem to not see is that this was about how that person led that discussion. The subject of the discussion was completely secondary. It's fine if somebody thinks that Apple is the devil incarnate, but it has to possible to respond to that without being called names.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

I basically want to do this but skip the xbox

Surely this effect can be mimicked with something like After Effects...?

Now, you can probable find an HDMI to composite or RF converter (these are active devices and will likely be fairly expensive since they are so... useless these days), that will allow you to get video output from a Mac into a VCR. You could even use an AppleTV with AirPlay and do it wirelessly, hah.

Then you have your pick of video capture adaptors to capture VCR output on your Mac. I don't know about "going through an old TV", it's not like having the TV output the input signal will change it much, you'd need a video camera to record the physical CRT.

An eccentric project for sure.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pivo posted:

Surely this effect can be mimicked with something like After Effects...?

Now, you can probable find an HDMI to composite or RF converter (these are active devices and will likely be fairly expensive since they are so... useless these days), that will allow you to get video output from a Mac into a VCR. You could even use an AppleTV with AirPlay and do it wirelessly, hah.

Then you have your pick of video capture adaptors to capture VCR output on your Mac. I don't know about "going through an old TV", it's not like having the TV output the input signal will change it much, you'd need a video camera to record the physical CRT.

An eccentric project for sure.

Thanks, I'll look into the stuff you mentioned.

Analog decay, or glitching is very hard replicate using digital software. You can kind of do something like it with filters, but especially with video the irregularities you get from analog hardware are endless, and even if it ends up looking more or less the same it's just not that much fun! :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I tried to do this for a project last year and it's an absolute nightmare transferring to and from VHS. A good thing to do is play your video back on a really lovely TV, record this by pointing a DSLR at your tv and then overlaying this over your original video in your editing software and mess with the overlay mode.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Now I'm scared my 2011 Mbp is going to die right after the recall is over

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mike- posted:

Now I'm scared my 2011 Mbp is going to die right after the recall is over

Take it into an Apple store or AASP and have them run the video test on it. If it fails, you get a new logic board. If it passes, you wouldn't have gotten a replacement anyway.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

empty baggie posted:

Take it into an Apple store or AASP and have them run the video test on it. If it fails, you get a new logic board. If it passes, you wouldn't have gotten a replacement anyway.

I'll give that a shot.. Maybe I misunderstood the program, but I thought it was a replacement for laptops currently exhibiting issues, and mine has not. However, if posters in this thread are to be believed the gpu is eventually going to die? I don't do anything gaming related but I do use plex quite a bit and I'm not sure if that uses the cpu or gpu when streaming.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's CPU transcoding but get it checked anyways.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mike- posted:

I'll give that a shot.. Maybe I misunderstood the program, but I thought it was a replacement for laptops currently exhibiting issues, and mine has not. However, if posters in this thread are to be believed the gpu is eventually going to die? I don't do anything gaming related but I do use plex quite a bit and I'm not sure if that uses the cpu or gpu when streaming.

It can still fail VST if it isn't showing symptoms. Can't hurt to have them check.

E: Checking the technician instructions, it does look like it needs to be exhibiting symptoms as well as fail VST, but (for example) if you brought it into our shop (AASP) and it failed VST, we would probably go ahead and process the repair anyway (or at least chat with Apple to see if they would make an exception). I'm sure other shops would handle it this way as well.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 21, 2015

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't even know if this is the right thread, but I have a pretty weird question. Can I somehow plug my mac onto a VCR, record stuff on it, then somehow transfer it back to my computer, preferably so that it goes through an old TV as well? I basically want to run some video through a VHS tape.

What about something like an EyeTV adapter?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

What about something like an EyeTV adapter?

He wants to go the other way first. Capture card isn't really a problem.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Dyna Soar posted:

I basically want to do this but skip the xbox:

Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter (Apple sells one), digital-to-analog signal converter with VGA on one end and S-Video or RCA on the other (check Monoprice maybe), wire up to the VHS deck, place a pass-through capture card between the VHS deck and TV or point a camera at the TV screen (both are good for different looks). As you will be damaging the signal, which will induce uncontrollable rolling like in your GIF example, you may also want to look into time-base correction ("TBC"). Some VHS decks may have it out of the box, but you can get standalone systems too. Some analog video mixers have TBCs and can be bought fairly inexpensively today. Here's a page with a bunch of mixers with TBCs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

empty baggie posted:

It can still fail VST if it isn't showing symptoms. Can't hurt to have them check.

E: Checking the technician instructions, it does look like it needs to be exhibiting symptoms as well as fail VST, but (for example) if you brought it into our shop (AASP) and it failed VST, we would probably go ahead and process the repair anyway (or at least chat with Apple to see if they would make an exception). I'm sure other shops would handle it this way as well.

If it fails VST there's a real good chance you'll get it replaced without observing symptoms, as VST failure is required even when there are symptoms.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Edit: sorry app double posted due to lovely connection.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
If memory serves, back in the day Apple did a MiniDVI > S video & composite convertor. Still plenty of them floating around on Ebay, I assume you could use that to get the video into your VCR.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm pretty sure they have a Mini DisplayPort to composite converter too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure they have a Mini DisplayPort to composite converter too.

http://www.amazon.ca/DisplayPort-Composite-Video-S-Video-Converter/dp/B004VV8R86

Fascinating. Even powered by USB!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I threw my GPU affected iMac up on SA-Mart. I know some people are fine dealing with it, or potentially have the chops to fix it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702186

PM or reply in that thread if you have any comments, lowballs, etc.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There seems to be a small trend of people getting surprise upgrades on their MBP refurbs. Anything like that happen for iMacs?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Occasionally. It's pretty rare though.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

A not-small portion of the refurb MBPs are secretly unsold machines. The ones with spec upgrades are (usually) BTO machines that Apple built for quick shipment. They wound up not selling and got thrown into the refurb pile at some point.L ike when Apple did the silent .1 ghz upgrade to the 13" MBPR, the ones .1ghz slower got added as refurbs.

There are effectively identical to a refurb (as Apple refurbs are so good, but if you call Apple and provide the serial and ask if the machine is refurbished or not, they'll say no)

Got a refurb MBPR like that myself.

Anyway, that's where the magic upgrades are coming from.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 22, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For people who don't live in Canada: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Composite-Video-S-Video-Converter/dp/B004VV8R86/

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The new airs are supposed to come out on tuesday. Does this theory still hold water or is it too late to wish for a small upgrade?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The 27" refurb configuration I was looking at yesterday that disappeared showed up again today, so I just pulled the trigger. First new Mac* for me since my 2007 MBP :dance:

(*not counting the Hackintosh, obviously)

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
So ya, my early 2013 MBP arrived from mac of all trades. Their idea of good condition is a little shaky. It's got scratches and obvious drop marks all over the chassis, scratches all along the bottom (those I actually expected), and a scratch in the screen. I'm not sure if it's enough for me to return, as the only damage that actually effects anything is the screen scratch (which is small, but annoying... functionally the equivalent of seeing a dead pixel.)

Other than all that, I dig osx. There's a learning curve... all my muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts needs to be rewired, and it took me some googling to figure out how the hell the Finder file system works. The screen is gorgeous, and the hardware (previously mentioned issues aside) is great.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I assume this isn't good for business:

Does it really take a store 5 business days to turn around a battery replacement? I suppose this would be a good chance to have them run the VST.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JesusDoesVegas posted:

So ya, my early 2013 MBP arrived from mac of all trades. Their idea of good condition is a little shaky. It's got scratches and obvious drop marks all over the chassis, scratches all along the bottom (those I actually expected), and a scratch in the screen. I'm not sure if it's enough for me to return, as the only damage that actually effects anything is the screen scratch (which is small, but annoying... functionally the equivalent of seeing a dead pixel.)

Other than all that, I dig osx. There's a learning curve... all my muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts needs to be rewired, and it took me some googling to figure out how the hell the Finder file system works. The screen is gorgeous, and the hardware (previously mentioned issues aside) is great.

I would return that poo poo. A scratch on the screen that wasn't reported in the ad is uncool.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahahah nobody gives a poo poo if you're new to the forum or a "regular" or whatever. But I've been posting in the Mac thread for years, respect my authority!

But seriously has there been any MBP with a discrete video card that hasn't been totally-not-a-recall recalled as of now? I can't think of any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You forgot 'my heart bleeds in six colors' god drat it