Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm going to have to start passing this one by if they continue with the episode creep. First podcast was 45 minutes, most recent one is an hour and 17 minutes.

I feel like it is only going to get worse though as they keep adding more episodes that they have to compare to as the worst. Unless it is at one extreme or the other, there is a lot of humming and hawing over where it should go. It's at that point I unusually stop giving a poo poo and just move on to something else.

I just turn it off when they start rating. It's boring to listen to and they should just get to the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only rating they should be doing is trying to determine the actual worst episode ever. Meaning that they only episode they should compare it to is the previous "winner" of that title, to see if this one dethrones it or not.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like them trying to list all the episodes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Trying to make a list of the worst episodes of a show is the kind of unnecessary and pedantic pastime nerds love to do.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I really like this podcast, and I always learn interesting trivia things about the making of the show. But I have to say, I think they went way too easy on "The Principal and the Pauper." What a piece of poo poo that episode was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Trying to make a list of the worst episodes of a show is the kind of unnecessary and pedantic pastime nerds love to do.

So is making podcasts.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

TheJoker138 posted:

The only rating they should be doing is trying to determine the actual worst episode ever. Meaning that they only episode they should compare it to is the previous "winner" of that title, to see if this one dethrones it or not.

The problem is, I think a number of these won't turn out that bad. Some of the submissions they've gotten from fans swearing they found a new "Worst Episode Ever" and the episode is just not that bad compared to others in the list.

I actually like the episode ranking section, but it needs trimming right now. Sometimes its been entertaining when you get what's basically the "worst moments" hit parade, but it's also gotten a lot of derails.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Have any of you guys ever listened to "The Simpsons show" podcast? It's similar except they're going through the episodes chronologically, right now they're in the middle of season 3. They're also doing a ranking of every episode and their segment ranking the episodes at the end is usually very quick. I find it pretty enjoyable and a good way to remember the classic episodes.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's been a very long time since I saw them, but are seasons 1 and 2 bad? I don't hear people include them in "classic Simpsons" seasons.

Season 1 was weird, it was very similar to the Tracy Ullman show clips where the humor was super dry and there weren't many actual jokes. Each episode focused on just the one major plot, which was fairly grounded in reality. There's a few decent episodes but it's all really slow paced and the show hadn't developed it's trademark style yet. Season 2 is similar but the pace and humor start to pick up. It's a good season and there's lots of classic episodes like the one where Homer designs his own car, and the one where Lisa falls in love with her substitute teacher. It's slow paced compared to the later years, but the jokes and emotional moments work a lot more then they do in the first season.

Season 3 is where the show really took off with catchphrases and wacky subplots and constant jokes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I don't mind the ranking for now but its clear that as the podcast goes on its only going to get more cumbersome and take up more space. If they're going to keep it then like Rebochan says they'll need to trim it down, maybe just saying which episode its better then and which episode its below and keep the main ranking system on there site for those really curious. It's already at the stage that they're struggling to remember what goes where.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine that as the list gets longer they'll start to shorten the ranking. Top or bottom half (or quarter), compare to middle benchmark episode of that section, rank. As there are more eps having it be really specific won't matter. The only thing to quibble over is probably top/bottom 3, if it's not there then I doubt anyone will get very upset if they put what should be the #21st worst episode in the #23rd worst episode slot. I think they'll also get more used to trimming down chatter or self-editing the lists.

Honestly though I've heard precious few podcasts that don't veer onto unrelated tangents on the regular so it kind of seems like it comes with the territory.

This episode made me want to go back and watch the Australia episode. I always remember it being great, but I haven't seen it in forever.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

poorlifedecision posted:

This episode made me want to go back and watch the Australia episode. I always remember it being great, but I haven't seen it in forever.

I watched it a few days ago, and I think it holds up really well. I was honestly surprised that there are people who don't like that episode. I'm a sucker for Australian jokes, though.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Majorian posted:

I watched it a few days ago, and I think it holds up really well. I was honestly surprised that there are people who don't like that episode. I'm a sucker for Australian jokes, though.

I think the people who didn't like it were mostly members of the Australian board of tourism.

If I'm remembering right they were super offended and I'm pretty sure they even tried to do some sort of legal thing to try to prevent the episode from being aired in repeats.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bbf2 posted:

I think the people who didn't like it were mostly members of the Australian board of tourism.

If I'm remembering right they were super offended and I'm pretty sure they even tried to do some sort of legal thing to try to prevent the episode from being aired in repeats.

LOL, I'm not surprised. Even so, they should've chilled - it's such a ridiculous caricature of the whole country that nobody could have been misled by it in any way.

Except for the PMs all being rednecks who bathe in the open. That's 100% true.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I actually asked an Australian person if the country really had a boot. I was not a smart child teenager :saddowns: .

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I actually asked an Australian person if the country really had a boot. I was not a smart child teenager :saddowns: .

Denying the boot is a bootable offense.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair from what I understand the Prime Minister representation was spot on so, ya know, I see the confusion.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I remember my Aussie relatives loving the episode when it aired down under, it was also really popular in Britain since Australia has long been regarded as a land of English rednecks. Seeing the Prime Minister floating in a billabong drinking a beer was one of my favourite Simpsons moments. If they'd made that episode later, it would be busy kissing Tony Abott's arse who'd make a guest appearance ala jet pack Tony Blair.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Baka-nin posted:

it was also really popular in Britain since Australia has long been regarded as a land of English rednecks.

Australia was originally a penal colony and the American equivalent of that would be shipping most of Texas to some remote island. :v:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm australian and I love that episode, I mean it gets everything completely wrong but that's the fun of it

it's more of an episode that's about america's perception of australia than anything, which is probably a good way to mine a bunch of comedy out of the episode

my friends and I used to shout FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS!? all the time

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bbf2 posted:

I find it pretty enjoyable and a good way to remember the classic episodes.

Besides just watching them?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

Besides just watching them?

HA HA. GREAT ZING DAVE. YOU GET ME EVERY TIME! *plays some funny music on space keyboard*
\

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007
It seems that they did something about their rating problem. Personally, I didn't mind the drawn-out discussion too much, but I could see where it was headed. It seems that they don't have a great grasp of what exactly a four is versus a two yet (in the most recent one, Jack, I think, gave it a 4 for story? I thought that was crazy), but I'm sure as they do more they'll improve.

Also, I wouldn't mind if Dan read more of his ¨death match¨ stories, because they are absolutely hilarious.

bbf2 posted:

Have any of you guys ever listened to "The Simpsons show" podcast?

I have, but personally I couldn't stand the hosts. Honestly, they seemed a little young, and didn't appreciate the source material that The Simpsons drew on. I feel like they often bash or dismiss older films and whatnot just for being old or quaint. Also, they don't have great chemistry, and the episodes just lacked momentum. I do admire their ambition though; going through all 500 plus episodes won't be easy.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I'm enjoying the latest edition of Worst Episode Ever. They do a season six episode! This is the best Empty Nest podcast EVER.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That was a fantastic april fools bit, it actually made sense considering their constant 'we'll save that for our (x) podcast' jokes and they legit committed to the bit.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I haven't seen it since it first aired. but I remember thinking halfway through the Lady Gaga episode that it was somewhat of a subversive satire of cheap celebrity platitudes like "Just be yourself! It's easy! Just be like me, Lady Gaga, the millionaire recording artist!" when Lisa went off on her. But then the end had her apologizing to Gaga, so I realized I was completely wrong.

Also, I was reading alt.tv.simpsons when I was in college in the 90s, and I'm almost convinced that comic book guy is based on Don Del Grande, who you can see in every snpp.com capsule blasting the poo poo out of every episode.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was legitimately surprised that they could talk for that long and that in depth about Empty Nest. I thought I'd stop listening after 10 minutes and ended up listening to the whole thing.

Brocktoon posted:

Also, I was reading alt.tv.simpsons when I was in college in the 90s, and I'm almost convinced that comic book guy is based on Don Del Grande, who you can see in every snpp.com capsule blasting the poo poo out of every episode.

Now I want to go read old newsgroups critiques of the show back then and see how they compare to what's being said on the podcast. Or here, or anywhere.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Aside from hating the Poochie episode for some reason, contemporary nerds were 100% in agreement that Mike Scully had ruined the show.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

poorlifedecision posted:

Now I want to go read old newsgroups critiques of the show back then and see how they compare to what's being said on the podcast. Or here, or anywhere.

Here's some reviews of $pringfield (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling), arguably a Top 10, if not Top 5, episode.

quote:

I thought it was by far the worst Simpsons episode ever. Not a laugh in it. I could pull a better cartoon out of my...Hey kids!! Bill Oakley, if you're reading this, sorry, but that episode was the absolute bottom of the barrel. Just when I was regaining some faith in the show after the dismal start of the season...

quote:

This episode didn't seem to go anywhere, probably because it focused a little too much on Marge at the slot machine, where all she did was put the quarter in the slot and pull the handle. [...] It did have its moments, [...] but it didn't particularly stand out, especially with another "Homer and Marge together" ending.

quote:

Like several other episodes this season, this was kind of a "pod people" Simpsons - it had the form of a Simpsons episode, but there was just something terribly wrong with it. Some of the jokes might have been clever had I not seen them so many times before in other episodes.

quote:

I'm confused about the whole show. It didn't get anywhere, and despite the huge potential of the idea of gambling coming to Springfield, the plot was weakly developed.

quote:

Didn't work for me. Kissinger, Cooney, and Goulet were excellent, but I didn't get the Howard Hughes thing, so I was going "Huh?..." Homer was being stupid again: ridiculous blackjack dealer, "Rain Man" joke, and mocking Marge at the end weren't funny for me. I give it a D+.

Nerds hate everything in the moment and only revere things in retrospect.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Damnit Groofik, get the hell outta here

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I figured that everyone would either love or hate Grufic. I thought he was hilarious myself.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Groofik is ranking up with Tracy Ullman simpsons characters talking about butts in terms of things that have made me need to pause the podcast so I don't crack up laughing at my desk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Groofik loves minestrone!

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Here's some reviews of $pringfield (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling), arguably a Top 10, if not Top 5, episode.

Why did they watch? What was the lost golden age to them?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Brocktoon posted:

It's true; I'm starting to think that maybe some episodes from the Scully era aren't irredeemable garbage.

Though right now the only episode that comes to mind is Lisa The Tree Hugger, so...

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I like some post season 9 simspons like when homer became a inventor and Lisa wanting to go see Isis (the cat god, please for the love of god it about the cat god) at the museum and she got lost in the city.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 30, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I actually really liked the episode they did last week, the book heist one.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I actually really liked the episode they did last week, the book heist one.

Yeah me too. I'm glad they rated it as one of the better ones, but I still liked it more when I saw it then they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

• Locked thread