Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Goddamnit how do I prespective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Friends Are Evil posted:

Some new studies.
These are awesome really like the clawhand and the way that mouth is open like that with the teeth.

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

TheGreekOwl posted:

Goddamnit how do I prespective

These are wonderful, perspective be damned.

I'm back on board with my cryptid drawings, here's a Yeti:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mat cutters are outrageously expensive.
Frames from the Goodwill are not.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Dhole skipped leg day.

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

Still working on cryptids- here's Nessie.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Team Lunch posted:

Still working on cryptids- here's Nessie.

Are you doing anything with this series (like a print/postcard set)? These are so cool, I love the Krampus and Wendigo ones a lot!

I just finished a couple sculptures for an art show this weekend (anyone in LA come to Meltdown Comics!). The skeletons were sculpted with Magic Sculpt with a wire armature, and I had a ton of fun digging through my craft boxes for poo poo to glue/sew onto them. If I make more skeletons I don't think I'd do the whole thing with Magic Sculpt again (too much poison and just a bitch to work with), but it did the job and it's a very strong material.

Sexy pictures:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Hope I didn't kill the thread. :x Here's an acrylic painting I did recently, a Lord of the Flies fanart/tribute. Finding reference for a severed pig's head was way way easier than I would have ever imagined.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Nah, this thread moves kinda slow.

A couple studies in oil using a limited palette.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Crocobile posted:

Hope I didn't kill the thread. :x Here's an acrylic painting I did recently, a Lord of the Flies fanart/tribute. Finding reference for a severed pig's head was way way easier than I would have ever imagined.

loving fantastic.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New things.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Wow. Will this and/or the one with the teeth from your last post go up for sale eventually, or are you keeping those?

Also, I got Cephalophore in the mail yesterday, and it's amazing. Just need to find a suitable frame for it.

Crocobile posted:

This is great work.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Detective Thompson posted:

Wow. Will this and/or the one with the teeth from your last post go up for sale eventually, or are you keeping those?

Also, I got Cephalophore in the mail yesterday, and it's amazing. Just need to find a suitable frame for it.

They'll probably be up for sale at some point, if not right now.

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

Crocobile posted:

Are you doing anything with this series (like a print/postcard set)? These are so cool, I love the Krampus and Wendigo ones a lot!

I've put up the ones so far in a society6 page if anyone wants to get a print. As of now, I'd like to do one for every letter of the alphabet. I'm at 12 total so I'm nearly 1/2 done.

Here's a Thunderbird:

Crocobile posted:

Hope I didn't kill the thread. :x

You didn't, and I love this.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Team Lunch posted:

I've put up the ones so far in a society6 page if anyone wants to get a print.

Nice, I'll have to grab a few soon. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the originals?

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009
:tipshat: Thanks! The originals vary a bit are around 12in x 8 1/2 in.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
OK I haven't drawn for a while and I need to finish this before her birthday celebration tomorrow. I've been working on this for 4 hours and I feel like something's still off. I need a 2nd pair of eyes for consultation. Can someone let me know what can I do to make it look more like her? Thanks.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

This overlay shows a lot of errors - basically you made her head too big (or hair too small), her nose too long, and you abandon the angle of the head you establish with the eyes - her eyes show her head tilted to our left (like in the image), her mouth and nose as you've drawn them are basically straight up and down. If I had to guess I'd say you're drawing this on a table and your perspective foreshortens the drawing in to something closer to the reference on your screen. But when you look at it squarely it's obviously off. So yeah, get her jaw where it should be and then re-draw the features. At this point it's probably better to start over, unless you can erase the colored pencil well. Good luck!

Also, since this is a gift and not serious practice it's ok to do some tracing or direct comparison with the photo to ensure the the major proportions are there. Nobody's going to care if you held this up to your monitor and made some marks to place the features.

Another comparison for if you want to use what you've got - lining up the jawline and seeing where the features end up in your version:

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 13, 2015

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Prolonged Priapism posted:

This overlay shows a lot of errors - basically you made her head too big (or hair too small), her nose too long, and you abandon the angle of the head you establish with the eyes - her eyes show her head tilted to our left (like in the image), her mouth and nose as you've drawn them are basically straight up and down. If I had to guess I'd say you're drawing this on a table and your perspective foreshortens the drawing in to something closer to the reference on your screen. But when you look at it squarely it's obviously off. So yeah, get her jaw where it should be and then re-draw the features. At this point it's probably better to start over, unless you can erase the colored pencil well. Good luck!

Also, since this is a gift and not serious practice it's ok to do some tracing or direct comparison with the photo to ensure the the major proportions are there. Nobody's going to care if you held this up to your monitor and made some marks to place the features.

Hahahahahaha, gently caress, yeah, my drawing skill is soooooo off now. I am indeed starting over and do more with pencil sketching first before going just color right away. Thanks for this!

Edit: Also yes, you guessed correct. I did draw on a table and it did hosed up my perspective. But at the same time, I do want to get my skills back like how I was 5 years ago.

MeaningOfLife fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 13, 2015

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Here's version 2.0, I think I'm getting my groove back, slowly. I know, I still need to work on the cheekbone of her right side of the face a bit.

Edit: OK I think I'm done for the night. There's still improvements I can do here and there but I'll do it tomorrow.

MeaningOfLife fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2015

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Studies in charcoal and oil with a live model.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't usually post titles on here, but this one is called "Like Eating All The Peanut Butter At Once". Based loosely on a dream I had.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Drink beer and paint nudes errday.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Here is things:

Good mix of techniques but the plate finish is a bastard. I solved some of my warping issues by using paper mounting spray adhesive to fix the medium to a board-mat thing.

Fail on the anatomy/representation but I learned more about the behavior and interaction of pastels with other techniques.

Claybord surface, ultra smooth. Very difficult to achieve desired effects with pencils and pastels.

Revisiting this older experiment because it's cotton cold press arches paper. I was chasing a higher resolution for detail work by seeking lower and lower tooth factors but the tradeoff seems to be that the medium accepts a narrowing band of applications for certain effects.
Still figuring out a good strategy of using mixed techniques.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
could we get a closer look at that last image? i like the dudes face

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Kanine posted:

could we get a closer look at that last image? i like the dudes face

Thanks. Still experimenting.

Got a new airbrush in the post.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it looks like a concept piece for a hypothetical they live sequel

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A new piece I did, called The Gryphon, done in about five days.

Drypoint on Zinc Plate with Aquatint.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
NSFW

NSFW
And for today, I decided to try and draw a naked soldier.

such chest

TheGreekOwl fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 21, 2015

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Something i made for local Charity lottery.
drat its difficult to take a decent photo of an mirror

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
New poo poo yo.

Second one is a work in progress but should have a similar paint job to the first one. Both are spoken for already lol.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A portrait of my MiL for my wife. I'm not sure if I'm going to call it or do some more work on the veil and background.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

That looks nice, especially the colors, I would be kind of nervous about adding more to the veil and background though because they might take away from the face.

I learned some mold making recently and I thought itd be fun to make some small figures to use as lighting and anatomy references to finally replace the permanently grinning a-rod action figure I've used for a while now. Originally they were supposed to be half flesh/half ecorche (showing the muscles and bone) but I think I might make those later after I cast these.

they both still have some work to do smoothing out the clay and adding details (especially the eyes), which has been a whole lot harder than I thought it would be, but man it is satisfying to sit down and make something out of clay.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I made Chat.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I decided to use a brush pen yesterday instead of charcoal. Things got weird.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

barge posted:

they both still have some work to do smoothing out the clay and adding details (especially the eyes), which has been a whole lot harder than I thought it would be, but man it is satisfying to sit down and make something out of clay.

What kind of clay did you use?

I bought some 'oil clay' like Roma Pastilla. I don't have the tools nor ~skill~ to pull myself together to actually try to do something with it.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

The brown stuff is a really hard oil clay, the grey is some stuffd called cx5 which I just got recently to try out. It is a lot like wax to work with but much easier, though you still need a heat source to soften it.

Roma plasticina is nice but be warned it has sulfur in it, so you can't use it in silicone molds (I learned the hard way :S) though you probably wont care about that

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

barge posted:

The brown stuff is a really hard oil clay, the grey is some stuffd called cx5 which I just got recently to try out. It is a lot like wax to work with but much easier, though you still need a heat source to soften it.

Roma plasticina is nice but be warned it has sulfur in it, so you can't use it in silicone molds (I learned the hard way :S) though you probably wont care about that

I think mine was some german variety which hasn't got sulfur in it, but yeah... I bought it mostly to toy around with, since I've literally never sculptured anything ever.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

i am harry posted:

Mat cutters are outrageously expensive.
Frames from the Goodwill are not.

That Octopus one is awesome. You sell that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

The work on this thread has gotten so impressive over time! You guys are pretty amazing.

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize but I have a question about mold.

Do you guys use Kilz as a primer or anything else to prevent mold on the canvas before painting on it? Do you do it under the gesso, or over it? I have heard before that some artists use Kilz or something similar but I wanted to check here before I bought anything.
TIA!