Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of brodozers, I got irrationally angry at this truck I saw pull into a handicap spot at Target. Lifted, huge tires, stacks, smoked lights. Guy steps out and walks completely fine into the store. The gently caress do you need a handicap plate for if you can walk? Is your wiener that small that it's considered a disability?

My mom has a handicap placard because she has had reconstructive knee surgery and sometimes can't walk very well, and other times she walks fairly fine. How about you stop judging people based solely off of looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Seriously, unless you can prove it's not their placard, there shouldn't be anything to fuss about. They went to a doctor, a doctor determined their need. End of story.

However, when it isn't theirs, and they get caught using it, pure Schadenfreude.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah let the cops worry about it, to me it's akin to judging people in the grocery lines for purchasing stuff with EBT.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

My mom has a handicap placard because she has had reconstructive knee surgery and sometimes can't walk very well, and other times she walks fairly fine. How about you stop judging people based solely off of looks?
But on a day where she's walking just fine, you could argue that while she may be allowed to use the space, but she doesn't need to, so leaving it for someone who's having the other kind of day would be the right thing to do. No one can say she's wrong to park there, but is it the use the intent of having the space?

It's not really a good parallel, but for example I avoid parking in electric spots if I'm not charging, even though I can, because it'd be a dick move to get a more convenient space at the expense of someone who needs to use it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ehh, close enough.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Heh, one of my friends 20 year old wife got a handicapped placard because she has a "learning disability", the extent of this disability is poo poo like choosing to watch air bud in space instead of studying when she is offered help.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

But on a day where she's walking just fine, you could argue that while she may be allowed to use the space, but she doesn't need to, so leaving it for someone who's having the other kind of day would be the right thing to do. No one can say she's wrong to park there, but is it the use the intent of having the space?

How do you know for a sure that she'll still be having a good knee day AFTER her ~30-60 minutes of walking on it, and not need the car to be that much closer on the way out?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

How do you know for a sure that she'll still be having a good knee day AFTER her ~30-60 minutes of walking on it, and not need the car to be that much closer on the way out?
I don't, that's why I'm not having a go at her about it. It depends on the situation.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm not saying there can't be variable cases, but a lifted brotruck is probably not a great vehicle to use if you have a legitimate disability or hindrance, even if minor. Maybe his case is valid and I really am an rear end in a top hat, but it just doesn't seem likely.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why not? Steps for easy entrance, good visibility on the road. Life is a lot more laid back if you don't assume the worst of people.

I think I'd pick a SUV/truck over any other vehicle if I had a hurt leg or back.

VVV Back problems

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 20, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of brodozers, I got irrationally angry at this truck I saw pull into a handicap spot at Target. Lifted, huge tires, stacks, smoked lights. Guy steps out and walks completely fine into the store. The gently caress do you need a handicap plate for if you can walk? Is your wiener that small that it's considered a disability?

I think the bigger question is what injury could you possibly have that justifies a handicap placard but you can climb into and out of a lifted brotruck without issue?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

BMW drivers in the US also feature "alternative parking" on all models.

As a one-time cart jockey the truly terrible thing about this picture is he hard parked right next to a cart return. Great, you saved your car from conventional door dings, but in exchange you're running the much higher risk of someone smashing a cart into your car because they were too lazy to walk all the way to the return and just pushed it in the general direction of the return.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geoj posted:

As a one-time cart jockey the truly terrible thing about this picture is he hard parked right next to a cart return. Great, you saved your car from conventional door dings, but in exchange you're running the much higher risk of someone smashing a cart into your car because they were too lazy to walk all the way to the return and just pushed it in the general direction of the return.

Accidental dings? Heh

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nsaP posted:

Why not? Steps for easy entrance, good visibility on the road. Life is a lot more laid back if you don't assume the worst of people.

I think I'd pick a SUV/truck over any other vehicle if I had a hurt leg or back.

VVV Back problems

My grandpa drove a minivan or similar from late middle age until the day he died because it was perfect for him due to arthritis, bad knees, etc. He didn't have to step up getting in or out, and he loved it. Near the end he traded in a minivan on a sedan just for something different, and it was less than six months before that got traded in on the newest Town & Country or Caravan (I can't remember, doesn't really matter which it was)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geoj posted:

I think the bigger question is what injury could you possibly have that justifies a handicap placard but you can climb into and out of a lifted brotruck without issue?

A temporary one?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

PT6A posted:

I think it's because they know you're more likely to be careful when opening your doors if you already went to the trouble of parking far away.

If they're worried about that then why wouldn't they leave a space in between which guarantees they won't get dinged anyway?

Parking has the same rules as urinal use. Always leave a space if you can. I thought this was obvious but I run into this all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hikaki posted:

If they're worried about that then why wouldn't they leave a space in between which guarantees they won't get dinged anyway?

Because then some careless jerk could park in between, of course!

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'm pretty sure that's why it happens.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

A temporary one?

Or you could admit that someone who is able to jump out of and climb into a lifted truck likely swiped a bedridden or deceased family member's handicap placard...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The world is filled with lots of different people with different disabilities, so let's give people the benefit of the doubt. If they are using a placard they don't need, or that doesn't belong to them, they're assholes, but there's no way you can make that judgement simply by looking at them or the vehicle they drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mobility issues aren't the only reason they give out handicapped tags either. Non-visible issues like breathing or heart issues are perfectly viable reasons to be given a tag.

So basically, stop worrying about it. If they're cheating the system eventually they'll get caught.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But he was driving the type of vehicle i don't like :qqsay:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well poo poo if owning a car I don't like is justification to throw people in jail, I could have this city's traffic problems cleared up in less than a week.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

But he was driving the type of vehicle i don't like :qqsay:

Yeah, you're right. I just don't like brotrucks.

It couldn't have anything to do with a lifted truck being a completely inappropriate and unlikely vehicle for a person who needs a handicap placard due to some physical ailment that prevents them from walking short distances :rolleyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You get why I mentioned the idea of temporary placards right

Like how that relates to what you do with the vehicle you drive

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

It couldn't have anything to do with a lifted truck being a completely inappropriate and unlikely vehicle for a person who needs a handicap placard due to some physical ailment that prevents them from walking short distances :rolleyes:

Well, you being the guys doctor, i guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powershift posted:

Well, you being the guys doctor, i guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Can doctors prescribed what kind of vehicles you can drive.

"Take this prescription for one (1) sports car to your local car dealer, stat."

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Listen, nobody gets to park in those handicapped spots, NOBODY.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wayfinder posted:

Listen, nobody gets to park in those handicapped spots, NOBODY.

Not even little old ladies?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
eh, my mom has a handicap permit but her doc told her not to use it if she doesn't treally need to. A little extra walking is good excercise. She uses it maybe once or twice a month when her knees are aching.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In addition, you're not supposed to have the plaque displayed unless you're parked, it's technically a crime to drive around with it always on here in Manitoba. Doesn't stop what looks like he vast majority of people leaving it on.

And the paperwork you get with it also states to only use it when you have to, and to try to minimize use for those who still have partial mobility. Pretty much don't abuse it is the gist of it.

It probably looks pretty ridiculous to see a souped up subie with a placard, and I've seen people leer at what looks like two young healthy people walk out, but you definitely don't have to look old or obviously disabled to have a need for the pass.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
A buddy of mine who's big into hot hatches has a disabled badge because his hip is hosed up and he can't walk long distances. He gets so many sideways glances from people who just see a twentysomething guy in a loud car pull into a disabled bay and walk inside and don't realise he spent 2 years in a wheelchair and getting to park by the door is the difference between him being able to do his shopping and go home like a normal person or spending the rest of the day popping painkillers and aching.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Bajaha posted:

In addition, you're not supposed to have the plaque displayed unless you're parked, it's technically a crime to drive around with it always on here in Manitoba. Doesn't stop what looks like he vast majority of people leaving it on.

I'm sure people who do it legally are judged for it as well.

"See, he's not really handicapped! He just put it up cause he wanted to park close"

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

A buddy of mine who's big into hot hatches has a disabled badge because his hip is hosed up and he can't walk long distances. He gets so many sideways glances from people who just see a twentysomething guy in a loud car pull into a disabled bay and walk inside and don't realise he spent 2 years in a wheelchair and getting to park by the door is the difference between him being able to do his shopping and go home like a normal person or spending the rest of the day popping painkillers and aching.

This. Friend of a friend lost both legs below the knee and had handicap plates on his Caddy. With much practice he was able to eventually able to walk unassisted on his prosthetics, but standing/walking for lengths of time could be uncomfortable if not painful. One day, some blue-hair saw this twentysomething guy with his two buddies park "his grandpa's" car in her spot and called the Police. Imagine the look on her face when, with Police and on-lookers present, this guy pops his door open, sits down, and removes two shoes. With calves attached.

I don't recall exactly what he said at that moment, but it was something along the lines of, "Is this handicap enough, you nosy bitch?"

So yeah, a handicap isn't always obvious. gently caress heads using a placard for princess parking is lovely and they deserve all the fines and public ridicule we can throw at them. But stereotyping handicap as an age or vehicle is also kinda lovely. If you suspect somebody is abusing the system absolutely report it. Believe it or not, most municipalities take this chickenshit behavior semi-seriously.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The mall I used to work at (long before I worked there) used to have "expectant mother parking", like 5 spots in a row, maybe one row out from where handicap spots end.

i don't mean to sound crass, but if you're at the point in your pregnancy where walking is seriously impaired, you should probably be either in bed or checking into the hospital, since you're about to pop. I get that having an extra ~30 lbs hanging off you in the first 7 months or whatever is inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it's hardly a serious impediment to mobility.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

The mall I used to work at (long before I worked there) used to have "expectant mother parking", like 5 spots in a row, maybe one row out from where handicap spots end.

i don't mean to sound crass, but if you're at the point in your pregnancy where walking is seriously impaired, you should probably be either in bed or checking into the hospital, since you're about to pop. I get that having an extra ~30 lbs hanging off you in the first 7 months or whatever is inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it's hardly a serious impediment to mobility.

I bet you get some great double-takes if you park a motorcycle in that spot and wait around.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Geoj posted:

So people with disabilities shouldn't have things they like because they are impractical? Should everyone only drive completely practical vehicles? Seems like an odd argument to make in AI. I knew a guy with a lifted truck who was in a wheel chair and had to drive with hand controls. He had straps to help him get in and out and would fold up his chair and put it behind the front seat. He let me drive it through a field once and it was pretty awesome to use the hand controls, but was really weird feeling also.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Fucknag posted:

It seems like an easy move on the mall's part. It makes moms and pregnant women happy, and there's no law stopping normal people from parking in those spots (as far as I know) so there's no real loss of capacity. Most non-pregnant people aren't going to park there out of decency and/or social shame, but still.

I've only seen 1-2 spots/row in the only mall around here that has them, though. 5 is a bit much.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Almost got t-boned turning left out of a parking lot tonight. There was someone coming from my left on a motorcycle and I had a good bit of distance so I started the left turn.

Did I say motorcycle? I meant 4Runner with only one lovely, dim headlight. It's pitch black and pouring rain - kind of difficult to judge the oncoming vehicle for speed and distance when you only have one half-working low beam to go off of. He didn't even brake, just laid on his horn.

You know what man? If you aren't going to fix your loving headlights, just leave your high beams on.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Are you saying it was OK if you just would have cut off a motorcycle?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 21, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think he means that it looked like a far-off bike, rather than a closer car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The way that reads is that they assumed it was a motorcycle, saw one light, and they thought it was fine to cut them off. But it ended up being a car with a headlight out, so someone else's fault too.