Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I hope he doesn't add sex organs. This booze and vomit update is already taking us down a very Dwarf Fortress road and I would really like for them to focus on what differentiates the game from DF rather than continue to heavily emulate it.

Personal shields thing sounds great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what I think about sex organs but emulating DF is just fine with me. Someone needs to make the point that you can have a good idea but if your implementation is cumbersome someone else will just steal it and do it better. DF without nearly as much sperg sounds like a great game.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Right now the closer to DF the better. The combat system itself already makes Rimworld radically different, more complexity is very welcome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would presume that if the future entails a relationship and children system then it's relevant and consistent for there to be body parts that exist and can be damaged which relate to that system. Perhaps a bit gross to think about in isolation but I suspect that's the joke.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Rimworld: Bionic Dicks For Everyone

Use tinfoil hats for protection

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

I would presume that if the future entails a relationship and children system then it's relevant and consistent for there to be body parts that exist and can be damaged which relate to that system. Perhaps a bit gross to think about in isolation but I suspect that's the joke.

My thought was that the introduction of the age mechanic would also eventually lead to reproduction as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Wonder if he'd change the time system up significantly to have that make more sense. Since most games only run a handful of years children would be all downside until you are thirty hours into the game.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If he does put in kids, maybe he can modify a crypto sleep casket to quick-grow them. Takes a lot of power/research/materials, but then you have a steady supply of fresh meat for your colony. :v:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Alaan posted:

Wonder if he'd change the time system up significantly to have that make more sense. Since most games only run a handful of years children would be all downside until you are thirty hours into the game.

Yeah, I'm annoyed that it's takes four hours to walk a relatively short distance. Time is weird.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Yeah, I'm annoyed that it's takes four hours to walk a relatively short distance. Time is weird.

Or a week to shoot a turtle on your doorstep to death.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I'm just waiting for someone to mod a reaction on to the shields to basically turn the game in to Dune. Lasers cause a feedback loop with the shields and explode, archaic missile weapons are useless because they just get bounced. All knife combat, all the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Right now booze seems kinda pointless. It doesn't last long enough to be worth a drat. You give your colonist a beer and by the time he's taken a few steps out the door it's worn off. At a guess I'd imagine this is just a precursor to other stuff though, like poisons and drugs. It'd be pretty neat to have some sort of stimulant that staves off exhaustion that a colonist can carry around with them, or drugs that give a buff while having a negative effect later on.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Ah, but you can easily make a bunch of it and then order your colonists to have some whenever you want. They'll obediently get hammered and vomit everywhere.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
There's been another patch/hotfix; no word on the site yet what it is.

-e- Maybe not; the download is still for 9b.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 20, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gibbo posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to mod a reaction on to the shields to basically turn the game in to Dune. Lasers cause a feedback loop with the shields and explode, archaic missile weapons are useless because they just get bounced. All knife combat, all the time.

You forgot the best part, which is that both the laser and the shield explode, so nobody is safe!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gibbo posted:

From the blog comments:

quote:

Artist
February 18th, 2015 - 11:51 pm
Another great release!
However, shoehorning in melee combat by using shields feels wrong. It makes me instantly think “Why should the melee guy take a shield? Give him a gun and keep the shield….”
Sorry, but all wrong about that, really.
Now that settlers can get drunk we need them to fall in love and demand to move into the same room! ;)

Tynan Sylvester
February 18th, 2015 - 11:54 pm
FYI the shields are modelled after an almost-identical technology in the Dune book series.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gibbo posted:

yeah, that's good- also make them attract giant worms

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
At the very least, some more deadly wildlife would be good.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Drink Cheerwine posted:

yeah, that's good- also make them attract giant worms

Well it's a good thing the colonists don't seem to walk with any sort of rhythm or regularity.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Engraving history may be a little rough still :psyduck:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How does deterioration on items work? I guess I won't be able to keep guns/clothes/etc. lying outside at my trading stockpile anymore? I guess it's realistic but it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to have to micro that hauling.

I guess if we have to keep stuff indoors now, one way would be to put the trading beacon inside a structure, then just designate it as a roof/no-roof area as needed.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Alaan posted:

What are you talking about, that's clearly Inspector Clouseau investigating the case of the Bride of The Fly

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Alaan posted:

Sometimes you get random images that aren't history related.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How does deterioration on items work? I guess I won't be able to keep guns/clothes/etc. lying outside at my trading stockpile anymore? I guess it's realistic but it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to have to micro that hauling.

I guess if we have to keep stuff indoors now, one way would be to put the trading beacon inside a structure, then just designate it as a roof/no-roof area as needed.

Basically what I do is just quickly do a no-roof zone over my stockpile when i'm actually trading. The rest of the time I leave it roofed.

Edit: Just made a Masterwork Devilstrand coat $4680 value :eyepop: Actual sale price was only about $700 though laaame.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I've noticed clothes and weapons on pawns deteriorate as well. I wonder if that's only happening when they go outside or if it's a constant thing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I know that this is super spergy but it annoys me that the production chain for beer is just hops-> beer. If he wanted a single ingredient process I wish he'd gone with a malt instead. Or he could do a malt/hop combo. Anyway, it just bugs me but I know it shouldn't. I'm sure the colonists enjoy their 100% hops IPA from hell.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

I know that this is super spergy but it annoys me that the production chain for beer is just hops-> beer. If he wanted a single ingredient process I wish he'd gone with a malt instead. Or he could do a malt/hop combo. Anyway, it just bugs me but I know it shouldn't. I'm sure the colonists enjoy their 100% hops IPA from hell.

There's probably a mod for that!

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
Tynan really needs to adopt some of the UI stuff from edb interface.

Seriously.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Diviance posted:

Tynan really needs to adopt some of the UI stuff from edb interface.

Seriously.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2tffph/tynan_requesting_once_again_please_add_edbs/cnymyhn

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Yeah, I saw that he said that. But there aren't any indications that he has looked at it or intends to make his own versions of them built in.

I mainly miss the pawn icons at the top of the screen, so I can find them easier and keep track of what each one is wearing at a glance.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

You're not alone: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9549.0

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

I am become that which I hate.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Leif. posted:

From the blog comments:
Tynan: shields are modeled after Dune
So what happens if you shoot a shielded dude with lasers lasguns?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Turtles: Less threatening directly than squirrels when the alien ship makes them mad. But their own subtle FU for when you have killed all the other things the psychic drone sent after you and walk into their glacial assault.

Edit: I also now have a siege AND a alien ship going. both on the far corners of the map from where I am.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 20, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

tynan posted:

I’ve just updated the game to Alpha9c.
Please delete your old installed game, download the new build from your existing download link, and install it to a clean empty folder.
All save games from Alpha9 will still be playable and mod compatibility shouldn’t be affected.

Changes include:
Fixed a black-screen-on-startup bug when playing with certain translations.
Fixed a bug that caused savegames to become unloadable.
Fixed a bug that caused binging people to never eat or sleep, leading to death.
Balance: Heaters and coolers are somewhat more powerful to match new heat loss mechanics.
Balance: Wind turbines are now much more powerful.
Balance: Adjusted frequency of tales so your statues aren’t all of people hunting and vomiting.
Updated translation content.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't suppose there is any sort of quickstart guide for somebody who just bought the game and has no idea what they are doing? I am sitting at choosing my three dudes, and have no idea what matters.

Does age matter? Should I get old people with lots of skill, or solid trainable looking younger ones?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 21, 2015

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Balance: Adjusted frequency of tales so your statues aren’t all of people hunting and vomiting.

Well well old friend, we meet again.

I think my very first DF fortress had a room covered in engravings of the tenant vomiting and bleeding everywhere. Obviously here it wouldn't be out of spite like it would be in DF, but still!

I got this as a gift, but clearly a new version just dropped. Any idea how quickly dudes update their mods? I'm still struggling to make a village succeed and fighting the system to make them clean and haul more, but I'd at least like the one that lets me turn all my dudes into cybernetic monstrosities.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't suppose there is any sort of quickstart guide for somebody who just bought the game and has no idea what they are doing? I am sitting at choosing my three dudes, and have no idea what matters.

Just click randomize until they have no forbidden labors. At the very least if someone can't do dumb labor or violent labor they're not nearly as useful. Skills don't really matter, as you can't get completely hosed by lack of skills, but you do want to have at least one person of the three who is talented in cooking, social, growing, research, and/or medicine to make things a little smoother.

You want to build in roughly this order:

-Sleeping quarters - a little room with some beds is fine.
-Power generation to provide heat, power automatic turrets, and cool rooms to freezing to preserve food
-Food growing zones, food storage areas, food prep areas, and food eating areas.
-A general stockpile room.
-A research bench. Priority research techs are stonecutting, hydroponics, geothermal power, turret cooling, and hydroponic picks.
-A small jail. It can just be one or two beds designated for prisoners in a tiny room. You'll need it sooner or later.

Day one you can build a little sleeping hut and power it. This is more important if your climate is colder. Also if your climate is cold you want to start growing food ASAP before the growing season is over and you hunt animals to survive the winter. Strawberries grow quicker and can be eaten raw. Potatoes need to be cooked. You can also hunt animals, but you're probably better off farming at first. Try not to chop down too many trees when you're building stuff, it takes forever and you don't need much wood. Move any pesky stones that are in the way to a dumping stockpile, colonists that have to climb over stones are slowed down big time.

After a few days it makes sense to build a turret. You can leave it turned off if you want to save power, it doesn't take too long to turn on. You also want to build a room with a cooler, and set the cooler to below freezing. This allows you to preserve food, as frozen food won't spoil. Also build an enclosed room with a table/stools for dining, as well as a cook table and a butcher. Open up the cook table and make some simple meals, but make sure you don't use meat in the simple meals unless you really need to - it's better to save meat for more satisfying, complex meals. Don't worry about the nutrient paste machine, it's mildly useless.

You also want to store items indoors, out of the rain and elements. Food especially, even your survival rations will be eaten by animals. Also, don't un-forbid survival meals across the map until you're ready to go collect them. Your colonists will go hiking hours into the wilderness just to go eat a survival meal.

Pretty soon after day one you want to build a research bench, though you should only research sparingly for now. You don't have enough colonists to spare, time spent researching could be growing food or building tough walls! Stonecutting is the usual first tech, as it lets you turn useless rubble into sturdy blocks. Building with wood is quick and cheap, but a little risky as wood is flimsy and flammable. Steel walls are way too expensive, you need that steel elsewhere. You can build tough permanent structures from stone blocks. If your climate has a short growing season hydroponics is a good second tech, but it sucks up a lot of power to farm hydroponically.

Eventually you'll end up with some prisoners, most likely survivors of a failed raid. Capture them, fix them up, and try to recruit them. Your people with the Warden job will care for and chat with prisoners. They will be the largest source of new recruits for your colony. Medicine is scarce, only use it if a prisoner you really want to recruit gets an infection.

Once you've got the basics, you can start thinking about the economy. Try these things:

-A trade beacon with a stockpile around it, and a comm console. Passing traders can be hailed, and goods in the stockpile around the trade beacon can be sold. There isn't anything that is a waste of time to sell, but look around for whatever resources best fit your situation. Stock up on medicine, body armor and good weapons to arm your people, and spare limbs/organs.
-Defenses. You will get attacked frequently and mercilessly! Use stone walls, sandbags, and turrets to protect your colonists. Clear away rubble and trees from your walls so your enemies can't use them for cover.
-Hydroponic farm, to grow food more quickly and year round. Every square of a table has to be brightly lit to grow a crop, inside the range of a sun lamp is good. Also keep the temperature of the indoor farms nice and comfy, too cold/hot and nothing will grow.
-Manufacturing. Growing cotton, making clothes, and selling the clothes is a good income. So is mining precious metal - silver is used as money and gold is good to sell or turn into statues and stuff. You can also broker goods between traders if you know what you're doing.

At this point expand your prison and hospital facilities, fortify your settlement, and try to hang on. Eventually you want to build a spaceship and escape!

Tips:
-Don't make your people travel too far. Don't queue up too many jobs at once. This game is all about efficient use of labor.
-Placing your kitchen, freezer, and dining area together makes things a lot more efficient. One good cook can make enough meals for many people in a short time if they don't have to walk too far.
-Gunfights are all about cover. Provide good cover for your people and deny good cover to the enemy.
-Pay attention to your colonist's moods. Provide them ample living space, good food, and a clean, decorated enviroment. They won't freak out as much.
-Cleaning is a very low priority but important task. Every once in a while, have everyone stop what they're doing and clean up the area. Accumulated dirt and a filthy environment make your people unhappy.
-Loot and bury corpses ASAP.
-Melee is not underpowered, if used correctly.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Does age matter? Should I get old people with lots of skill, or solid trainable looking younger ones?

It does not. Only injuries and bad things like cataracts.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Updated to the new version of Alpha 9 and loaded my save from the older Alpha 9 version.

In the hour since I did that, it has rained almost 1,000 pieces of human meat (in piles of like 20-60). I am not sure I want to know what is happening in the sky of this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

My general advice would be:

Make sure you have one person who is good at growing, and one person who is good at medicine, medicine is very important later on to stop your dudes dying, and with the ability for poor surgeons to now gently caress people up rather than heal them, a good doctor is something I'd make sure I have. A good grower isn't as important, but is immensely helpful to get your food stockpiles going for winter (if your area has winter).

Also, avoid any traits that make people have lower mood caps, or lower moods in general. Things like neurotic and depressive and stuff like that. It means they'll break quite easily and be a pain to manage.

First thing to do once you get on-planet is to build some houses for your colonists and some beds, they hate sleeping outside, in the cold, on the floor, and sharing rooms. Everyone wants their own room with a proper bed, a bit of space to move around in, and try to keep the temperature comfortable, though any indoor space will retain a more even temperature by virtue of being indoors, a heater/cooler may be appropriate however in extreme climates.

At the same time you want to designate some fields, which need soil. Rich soil grows faster so if there's a good spot of it, prioritise that area. Your two main considerations when picking a place to build are whether it has good natural cover, such as a valley in a mountain, and whether it has good growing space. Mountain valleys often have both of these so I would advise picking a mountain start in a warm-ish area, which will let you get used to winter without being murdered by it. Your grower should make quick work of planting the fields while the rest of your team cuts wood and builds their shelters.

After that, you should have few negative moods for your characters. Consider building a communal dining area (colonists hate eating off the floor, and eating raw food) and getting some cooking up, also get some power up because without power you can't do anything more advanced than piling rocks together. Build some solid defensive bunkers and walls to ward off invaders, and plant some gardens/build some decorations to make your colonists happier.