Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Evilreaver posted:

:siren:DO NOT UPDATE TO 0.11.12:siren:

Trains are busted. Your game will hardlock if you place trains/wagons on straight rail (placing on curved rail is safe).

If you don't care about trains then go ahead and update I guess

:siren:YOU CAN NOW UPDATE TO 0.11.13:siren:

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So I haven't played this game for about six months, has there been any big updates since then or is it still essentially the same experience? I was looking to come back in.

VVVVVV Thanks a lot! Looking forward to get into it when I get home!

mune fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 26, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mune posted:

So I haven't played this game for about six months, has there been any big updates since then or is it still essentially the same experience? I was looking to come back in.

Mostly quality of life, so a lot of things are smoother/nicer/faster the big things are

1: Tanks
2: Spitter bugs
3: Multiplayer

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Multiplayer has gotten a lot more stable in the last couple weeks too. It isn't perfect, but it seems fairly decent now, at least in my testing with one other person.

Tanks are sweet too. They help bridge that gap between steel armor/piercing ammo SMGs and INFINITE CAPSULE POWER ARMOR CHEETAH MODE.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I've played with a few other people over a bunch of different versions since MP was added, the only real problems you'll have are if there is someone with a lovely connection, you won't get any warping around/generally poor synchronization but instead the game will briefly(and often) pause because everything has to be perfectly sync'd. However without connection troubles the game is loving great in multiplayer, the only downsides are no teams/factions with isolated tech tree progression so if you wanted to compete with people that isn't really an option.

There are some multiplayer specific bugs(some of which are very new) like blueprints causing unrecoverable desync and exoskeletons causing recoverable desync if you move with one equipped(works fine with 2 equipped), both of these are present in 0.11.13.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How buggy is the experimental release? I want gates.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

The recent 0.11.x releases are perfectly stable, I haven't experienced a crash or bug yet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Same here. If there are doomsday bugs in a particular release (which has happened only twice to my knowledge) I make a point to post about it to warn folks, and when the hotfix drops a day or two later.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Evilreaver posted:

Same here. If there are doomsday bugs in a particular release (which has happened only twice to my knowledge) I make a point to post about it to warn folks, and when the hotfix drops a day or two later.

Speaking up, don't update today.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Speaking up, don't update today.

What's busted?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lousy Infinifactory taking my time :argh:

A quick look at their forums seems to indicate there are some save/load errors that are jamming people up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shintaro posted:

What's busted?

Connecting to multiplayer.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ikanreed posted:

Connecting to multiplayer.

Simple fix: don't play multiplayer.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone else experience an issue with the game slowing down or speeding up for a few seconds every 20ish seconds? I'm wondering if it has something to do with using the 64bit version but I want to say I've experienced the same with the 32bit version in the past.

EDIT: Yeah, I should mention this is in singleplayer.

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 7, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone else experience an issue with the game slowing down or speeding up for a few seconds every 20ish seconds? I'm wondering if it has something to do with using the 64bit version but I want to say I've experienced the same with the 32bit version in the past.

I assume this is not multiplayer?

I've never had that issue singleplayer, but multiplayer, getting of wi-fi and using a real network cable resolved that stuttering for me.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
I was able to fix my issue. It seems that enabling vsync was the cause and once I disabled it, the issue went away.

I now have a new issue. I can't seem to get ghost placement to work. I will press shift+left mouse button but no ghost appears. I've verified that the controls are right and I've tried a few different objects but no ghost image appears. And I am still playing in singleplayer.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Spaseman posted:

I was able to fix my issue. It seems that enabling vsync was the cause and once I disabled it, the issue went away.

I now have a new issue. I can't seem to get ghost placement to work. I will press shift+left mouse button but no ghost appears. I've verified that the controls are right and I've tried a few different objects but no ghost image appears. And I am still playing in singleplayer.

I don't think I ever played a game where Vsync did anything else but cause issues.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't think I ever played a game where Vsync did anything else but cause issues.

It's designed for CRTs, which can tear, unlike flatscreens.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

ikanreed posted:

It's designed for CRTs, which can tear, unlike flatscreens.

Tearing shows up on a lot of games that run at insane FPS, and on a lot of different monitors (LCDs too) so I only choose to use it when it's really bad.

Man revisiting this game is so difficult once you've learned it once. I know there's some optimal way to set everything up (14 boilers to 10 generators?) and forgetting is pretty annoying. I've been just holding off while they continue to add stuff to the game, really.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Kinda the equivalent of "did you check the power cord," but do you have automated construction researched?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

Shintaro posted:

Kinda the equivalent of "did you check the power cord," but do you have automated construction researched?

Goddammit. This is going to make planning my factory a lot harder.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Goddammit. This is going to make planning my factory a lot harder.

Here, just for you. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8550

UU TEE EFF
Apr 10, 2005
mate?
Just an FYI, .11.15 broke multiplayer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

He forgot the ring.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
:wtc: is that?!?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neruz posted:

:wtc: is that?!?

The rocket you'll use to ferry parts to orbit to build your spaceship :science:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Trabisnikof posted:

The rocket you'll use to ferry parts to orbit to build your spaceship :science:

WHAT?

That... That is going to be a thing? :allears:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-73

This is gonna rock

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The patch notes seem to imply competitive multiplayer. Not being able to interface with "enemy" structures in various ways.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

More pictures from our space future:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
:byodood: YOU CAN BUILD IN SPACE?!?!?!?

I am so glad I bought this game. :allears:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Hot drat. I remember when I first ran into this game through youtube's related videos, which normally are full of crap. I saw stuff moving around on the conveyor belts and thought that a purchase of this game at some point was an inevitability, as it's exactly my kind of game. And it looks like things are gonna get even better.

It seems they're still on schedule for the summer 2015 release date. I don't often do early-access, as games tend to stay in development hell forever once they're playable (Gnomoria, Prison Architect, Zomboid) but right now I'm feeling :smug: about this game.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

games tend to stay in development hell forever once they're playable (Gnomoria, Prison Architect, Zomboid)

How the hell can prison architect be considered in development hell? They've been doing monthly updates since the start, excepting Christmas vacation, and have been fixing bugs and adding new content with some regularity.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Communist Zombie posted:

How the hell can prison architect be considered in development hell? They've been doing monthly updates since the start, excepting Christmas vacation, and have been fixing bugs and adding new content with some regularity.

For values of "development hell" that equal "not finished now now now". Goons are bad at understanding what early access means.

I'm just hoping that the space part of factorio consumes enough in the way of resources to apply proper expansion pressure on the ground.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Communist Zombie posted:

^^^ This

And Gnomoria isn't in DevHell, it's just a lovely game.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
What I mean to say with "development hell" is that none of the three games I've mentioned have a clear release date. They will be in development until the money runs out or the devs get bored. When that happens they'll either ask for more money, or call it 1.0 and move on to something else. Better to have an idea of what constitutes a finished game, so you can make an estimate of a release date.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 21, 2015

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Not to derail this thread about this excellent game of sperging logistics (in space!) but they recently announced the release date for Prison Architect - this calendar year.

So that's realistically another 9 - 10 updates max. Which should be enough to put in a campaign and gangs and the other stuff that's clearly still on the list.

Man that space picture is cool. Assuming it's expensive to create a larger platform you suddenly have to worry not just about making poo poo at all, but also about making it in the most space-efficient way. Not a consideration we've really had to deal with before.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Strip mine the entire planet to make a dyson sphere around it.
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Erm, Dyson Spheres go around stars, not planets. :objection: