Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Hey, a bunch of new posts! Maybe there's some big news or a Season 6 trailer or.....nope, just people once again arguing that Seasons 4 and 5 sucked...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm glad that Banks and now David are part of the show, though I hope David gets better scripts than Banks did, but do they need to be part of the study group? Banks was a teacher, why did he also have to fill the curmudgeonly old man part of the group? Why does the group constantly need to have that type of character? Why couldn't he have just stayed a teacher?

It's like with The Office, and Steve Carrell left. Instead of replacing the Michael Scott character with a new character, they replaced him with a character who was basically Michael Scott in everything but name. (Which was especially stupid, since they threw out all the character development they had given Andy, just so they could hold on to that formula they had developed.) It's basically what Community is doing, the old guy who's "not with it". You'd think Harmon would be more clever than to fall into that rut.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'm glad that Banks and now David are part of the show, though I hope David gets better scripts than Banks did, but do they need to be part of the study group? Banks was a teacher, why did he also have to fill the curmudgeonly old man part of the group?

He wasn't part of the study group, he was part of the Save Greendale Committee.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

I'm glad that Banks and now David are part of the show, though I hope David gets better scripts than Banks did, but do they need to be part of the study group? Banks was a teacher, why did he also have to fill the curmudgeonly old man part of the group? Why does the group constantly need to have that type of character? Why couldn't he have just stayed a teacher?

It's like with The Office, and Steve Carrell left. Instead of replacing the Michael Scott character with a new character, they replaced him with a character who was basically Michael Scott in everything but name. (Which was especially stupid, since they threw out all the character development they had given Andy, just so they could hold on to that formula they had developed.) It's basically what Community is doing, the old guy who's "not with it". You'd think Harmon would be more clever than to fall into that rut.

Problem with The Office was that Ed Helms had exploded into money with the Hangover series, so they had a hugely bankable star they could serve up on a platter. Community has no such luck.

Didn't Britta get cast in Girls or something? How will this effect that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's airing right now and was probably all shot quite a while ago so I can't see it being an issue.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Didn't Britta get cast in Girls or something? How will this effect that?

The study group will have 1 less member in the movie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At this rate the movie should just be "And Then There Were None" with Community cast members.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think I would be cool with cast members coming and going as long as they are interesting. I remember one episode of Parks and Recreation where Leslie was looking for a replacement Ann and we learned about Shawna Malway Tweep, a character who had simply been a background, normal reporter. But then we got a glimpse into the trainwreck of her life and drat I wanted more of her on the show. My point is that good writers and showruners can sculpt and develop new and interesting characters without much trouble, and sometimes that is better than coming up with weird and crazy reasons to shoehorn the old ones into a show. People change and move on, and that is the norm in a college setting.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Spacebump posted:

The study group will have 1 less member in the movie.

Ninety minutes of Jeff and Annie trying not to make out, while Abed narrates. In the background, Chang and the Dean play Russian roulette.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkencarp posted:

Ninety minutes of Jeff and Annie trying not to make out, while Abed narrates. In the background, Chang and the Dean play Russian roulette.

The thing is, I could easily see this being an episode.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bring Brie Larson back and all will be right. I'll accept any other casting shenanigans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Bring Brie Larson back and all will be right. I'll accept any other casting shenanigans.

I wonder if they tried to bring her on as a regular. It'd make sense given all the departures and her preestablished character (although would probably give them young attractive white girl overload given their past diversity).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked Season 1 Pierce the best. I liked him being fumbling and old and sad but well-meaning, instead of hyper dickish to the point of pathetic old man Pierce. Pierce as a reflection of Jeff was a good dynamic.

The cast in general suffered from having certain aspects of their character magnified while other aspects were given less focus. Season 1 Pierce could be a dick but it wasn't really intentionally so. He was racist in an ignorant way. He didn't hate minorities but he was incredibly insensitive. And Abed...oh god drat I hated later seasons Abed. He went from a well-meaning weirdo to an outright dick who didn't give a poo poo about anyone but himself. Look at the episode where Jeff moved in with him. He makes the decision that while he loves having Jeff around all the time and hanging out with him, it's not good for Jeff, so he wants Jeff to find his own place. Season 3 Abed wouldn't do that. I still enjoyed watching the show but damnit, I LIKED Season 1 Abed and Pierce.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

swickles posted:

I think I would be cool with cast members coming and going as long as they are interesting. I remember one episode of Parks and Recreation where Leslie was looking for a replacement Ann and we learned about Shawna Malway Tweep, a character who had simply been a background, normal reporter. But then we got a glimpse into the trainwreck of her life and drat I wanted more of her on the show. My point is that good writers and showruners can sculpt and develop new and interesting characters without much trouble, and sometimes that is better than coming up with weird and crazy reasons to shoehorn the old ones into a show. People change and move on, and that is the norm in a college setting.

If Dino sticks around (comes back?) they could go all Season 3 Moral Orel with it. :unsmigghh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

I'm glad that Banks and now David are part of the show, though I hope David gets better scripts than Banks did, but do they need to be part of the study group? Banks was a teacher, why did he also have to fill the curmudgeonly old man part of the group? Why does the group constantly need to have that type of character?

The "study group" desperately needs more diverse characters because the show doesn't work if every character has the same background, the same worldview, and reacts the same way to every situation. Annie and Shirley merged into a single character around season 4. Chang, Abed and The Dean all serve the same purpose. And Jeff and Britta are basically interchangeable at this point (see the Meowmeow Beanz and the Lava episodes for that dynamic in action--Britta is essentially Jeff in the lava episode and vice versa). So that's, what, three characters total? Compare that to the first season where every member of the study group had his or her own identity, motivations, and outlook. Heck, even the Dean and Chang were more rounded and more interesting characters in the first season. The show went from 7-9 fully formed characters to 3 in season 5. They desperately needed Banks in there just to have another voice in the mix.

Hopefully Keith and whoever the girl is bring the same thing to the table, but I get the distinct feeling that everybody involved in the show stopped caring about developing unique and interesting characters a long time ago.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 22, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
After re-watching for a 3rd and 4th time, I am laying down the gauntlet. The puppet episode was good dammit.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've tried rewatching the puppet episode several times and it's embarrassingly bad. I can never finish it. It's weird... You know those sympathy cringe-things you get when watching something like the British version of The Office when David Brent does something horrific?

That's how I felt for the actors when watching the puppet episode. They tried like hell to make something so abysmal worthwhile, but the singing ending is just so cringeworthy, it's unbelievable.

The only watchable episodes in season four were the Freaky Friday and Herstory of Dance ones.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The hot air balloon song is legitimately great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hot air balloon song is really good but the rest of the episode does nothing for me.

e: Honestly that's most of the problem with Season 4 for me, I enjoyed it decently enough on its own merits and I don't think any of it is outright terrible but I just have no desire to ever watch it again.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 24, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only season 4 episode I truly detested was the finale. The rest was just general mediocrity and lackluster attempts at Harmon's style, with the occasional awful line of dialogue like the one where Jeff calls Malcolm McDowell a slippery snake.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I remember being dismayed by "Heroic Origins."

I'm long overdue for a rewatch of it all, though, in anticipation of the surefire hosed up and weird Season 6. It's been hard to muster up the enthusiasm, though, knowing how off-track everything gets. Then again, I suppose that's the point of community college - struggling to get back on track. Also, I've had a hard time mustering up enthusiasm for anything, so I'm not blaming the show for my apathy.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I thought Herstory of Dance sucked but everyone here thinks it's good for some reason. I'm of te opinion that season four was mediocre with some really nice moments but suffers from trying too hard to give fans what they want whilst not really understanding the characters.#

Mean Germans 2 to me was the worst episode of the entire series by far. I hated the last two episodes of season five but I don't think I could ever ever watch the Mean Germans 2 episode again.

e: it was like two loving years ago can we let it go

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 24, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The puppet episode wasn't any worse than the computer game episode or the GI Joe episode, and at least the rest of the season didn't suffer because everyone was so busy polishing a turd like the other two.

I don't remember which the Dance episode was everyone raves about.

Mainly my recollection of Season Four was that it felt like it was continuing the same gradual decline Season Three started.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Didn't season 3 episodes get their own threads while season 4 was so much less popular in TVIV that the whole season was one thread? I remember enjoying some episodes in 4 but actually laughing out loud significantly less.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Spacebump posted:

Didn't season 3 episodes get their own threads while season 4 was so much less popular in TVIV that the whole season was one thread? I remember enjoying some episodes in 4 but actually laughing out loud significantly less.

Season 4 has the only episodes that I felt were chores to watch. I was counting the seconds till Alternative History of the German Invasion ended.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The Jesus Abed episode in Season 2 was way worse than anything in Season 4.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

In It For The Tank posted:

That's one of my wife's favorite episodes. My experience in talking to other people about it is that people who were raised Catholic enjoy it a lot more than people who weren't.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Or maybe you were way worse than anything in Season 4.

Abeeeeeeed~

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

That episode had some solid jokes about Pierce's space cult, and I do love that ending between Shirley and Abed. I was raised Catholic, so that may be why it speaks to me.

Finally, only the "Hogan's Villains" joke keeps the Germans 2 from being completely worthless.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Jesus Abed is one of my favorite episodes.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Rochallor posted:

Jesus Abed is one of my favorite episodes.

The moment when Abed realizes he's not the next Charlie Kaufman and instead just made a lovely student film is one of the best subversions of Abed's magical autism that the show ever did.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Spacebump posted:

Not exactly. They gave up on the single threads after 409. From the OP:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Action Man posted:

The moment when Abed realizes he's not the next Charlie Kaufman and instead just made a lovely student film is one of the best subversions of Abed's magical autism that the show ever did.

Well, it was a retelling of the Christ myth. Without the 'begging to god in the garden' scene it wouldn't have worked.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
I really like this show but I barely remember anything from season 4-5.

5 was better but I'm still struggling to think of a stand out episode. I have enough goodwill for Community that I'll probably watch it until it ends but I really hope it strikes the balance that got me watching again...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Not exactly. They gave up on the single threads after 409. From the OP:

Thread activity in itself loving plummeted, though.

Granted this is partly because of a mod at the time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ah, Aatrek and the great "don't post anything negative" policy of '13. That didn't last long in the face of the sheer suckiness that was season 4, a suckiness so great that even a convicted child molester couldn't deny it.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
The pen episode is so good. It's like, such a tiny conflict but it allows every character to shine. It's really sad that I don't trust them to do something like that again.

I've rewatched season 1-3 over the past few weeks and even at it's lowest it's still pretty good. Time to do 4-5 again... :3:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

8raz posted:

The pen episode is so good. It's like, such a tiny conflict but it allows every character to shine. It's really sad that I don't trust them to do something like that again.
The Season 5 episode with the polygraph testing was just as great if not better.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Matt Berry's been posting 'cryptic' messages about 'Community spirit' on Twitter over the last day or so, culminating in a whole-group shot with the main cast. I love everything that man does, so I'm pretty keen to see how they use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Season 5 episode with the polygraph testing was just as great if not better.
That's True.

• Locked thread