Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

What is this game?
Sunless Sea is a game made by Failbetter Games, creator of the browser-based game Fallen London. It's the story of a captain who zails the Unterzee, a massive, still lake that the now-underground city of London sits by. It's one part merchant ship simulator, one part choose-your-own-adventure game, and just a touch of rogue-like and real-time naval combat, all wrapped up in really nice storytelling and a vibrant setting. In it, we will explore the Unterzee, visit fantastic places, make a pile of money, and only possibly be devoured by a terrifying Zee-beast. We might also go crazy and eat one another instead!

While the game play itself isn't more than average, the setting of Sunless Sea is amazing, and I hope we can all enjoy a trip through it. Together.

How will this LP work?
This LP will be in screenshot format, with a narration written in the style of the captain's journal – This should permit a interesting investigation of the setting. However, since the game is very open-ended, there is going to be ample audience participation! It can be divided into two categories -

First – Direction. I know the game well, and seeing me make my normal rounds would get boring fast, so I'll regularly be looking to the thread for advice about where to go and what to do, especially when we have important, irreversible choices to make in port. We will have to make important choices about who to help and what goals to pursue, many of which are mutually exclusive. I'll be trusting you in these cases to guide our captain to victory (The poor shlub). I'll do my best to keep us alive between these choices, but no promises – plus, dying leads to the inheritance mechanic!
Second – Zailors. You can't zail the zee without zailors. I'll be taking applications for Zailors, in a manner similar to signing up for dwarfing in Dwarf Fortress. Individual zailors are rarely brought up, but having names for them will add narrative consistency to the ship, and besides, maybe you can be the lucky one to get eaten by Blemmigans. Saying a few words about why you are crazy enough to go to zee with a captain who plans to sail beyond the Tomb-Colonies would be pleasant as well.

I will also be doing my best to keep things informative as we go – Comments from me will be kept in italics, with major mechanics drops in quotes.

Spoiler policy
This is a very story-driven game. Please do not talk about things that haven't come up in-game that are usually considered 'secret' in the setting. If the Special Constables wouldn't let a newspaper print it, don't talk about it.

Journal entries -

Entry zero – The making of a captain

The Journal of captain Petra Blackwood
Entry one - A new Correspondent's course
Entry two - Venderbight
Entry three - Finding Pigmote
Entry four - Rats and boxes
Entry five - The Mourn and mutton
Entry six - The Inner-Sea Loop, part one
Entry seven - The Inner-Sea Loop, part two.
Entry eight - Northern exploration
Entry nine - A long way home
Entry ten - Up in flames
Entry eleven - A most particular smell
Entry twelve - Checkerboard dreams
Entry thirteen - Faffing about in Fallen London
Entry fourteen - A bloody voyage
Entry fifteen - Masks
Entry sixteen - Irem always waits
Entry seventeen - Monkey business
Entry eighteen - A risky thing
Entry nineteen - Serious firepower
Entry twenty - Inexcusable company
Entry twenty one - Quickly home again
Entry twenty two - Zafari
Entry twenty three - The deep South
Entry twenty four - Scintillating
Entry twenty five - Deja-vu
Entry twenty six - Dissolution
Entry twenty seven - Additional monkeys
Entry twenty eight - That which came before
Entry twenty nine - Brilliantly glowing
Entry thirty - A light, still glowing
Entry thirty one - Great and terrible truths
Entry thirty two - Twisty little passages, all the same
Entry thirty three - HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN TH
Entry thirty four - Imeplled
Entry thirty five - The Highest Wilderness
Entry thirty six - Final preparations
Entry thirty seven - Filial piety
Entry thirty eight - A backwards approach
Entry thirty nine - Officer's day in
Entry forty - The Stigma of the West
Entry forty one - Loyalties
Entry forty two - The Scars of the North
Entry forty three - The Mark of the East
Entry forty four - The Light of the Sun
Entry forty five - The Touch of the South
Entry forty six - The Name-Which-Burns
A loose letter - The Last Horizon

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

skoolmunkee posted:

from the Evening Tidings, back page, Happenings section:

Elusive Zee-Captain Returns to City Bringing Ill Luck

Hunter's Keep has burned to the ground!

Word from Wolfstack Docks has revealed that grand, staid
mansion caught alight upon visitation by Captain Petra
Blackwood, formerly of the Correspondence. Nothing
remains of the dear sisters' former home, save charred
stones and timber. Blackwood was known to visit the
sisters frequently and take luncheon, although what
occurred within the lonely manse remains secret. Is it only
coincidence the devastation occurred during one of
Blackwood's frequent stops? Defenders may suggest in
fact fortunate timing; though we point out that the fate of
Phoebe, Lucy, and Cynthia are as yet unknown, nor their
house-staff.

Street urchins report that after delivering the sad news,
Blackwood travelled straightaway to the Department of
Marine Acquisitions; presumably to sell treasure acquired
at zee, though one of a suspicious mind may suggest
such valuables did not travel far at all. Perhaps Captain
Blackwood had naught to do with the unfortunate blaze;
yet we are confident that had Blackwood not made the
sisters' acquaintance, the lights of their home would be
shining still.

The Admiralty declined to comment upon any points; we
did not expect otherwise. Blackwood could not be found,
having quickly purchased and armed a tidy corvette and
put back out to zee as quickly as possible. Upon speaking
to the corvette's seller, it was revealed that the trade of
ships was perhaps not wholly on the up-and-up. He
commented, "We 'ad agreed price an' done the deal, we
'ad, an' all was well, until the cap'n 'ad gone back dockside.
I 'ad seven 'undred echos less'n I ought. I counted 'em
three times an' was sure of it. I got no idea what 'appened.
I made to chase 'er but she 'ad already steamed out."

Very little about Blackwood is known; a zee-captain's early
journeys are rarely notable, and the careers of most do not
last over-long. Rumours at Wolfstack Docks mark
Blackwood as a queer specimen. There is a fragmented
story involving a swim at the Salt Lions; another is a
whispered zailor's tale about hunting colors of the Neath.
We shall continue enquiries and report back soon. S.M.

The Neathbow posted:

A wakes APOCYAN, the blue memory of brightest coral.
C lights COSMOGONE, the color of remembered suns. The fecund, the foetid, the fungal, these flourish in the glow of cosmogone.
G is lost in GANT, which remains when all other colors are eaten. Gant can be found where the shadows of myriad.
I is for IRRIGO. No one remembers why. Irrigo colors the forgotten corners of home.
P drowns in PELIGIN, the color of deepest Zee. On this page, someone has written 'BEYOND THE GATE THERE IS A SEA MORE SUNLESS'.
V marks VIOLANT when blood is shed in a spired place. Violant ink is used for the most desperate of treaties.
Behind your mirror, V names VIRIC, the color of shallow sleep.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 30, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Entry zero – The making of a captain

It takes a special kind of person to zail the zee. Courage, greed, curiosity and desperation have sent many ships out into those still, inky waters – Almost all return scarred, if they return at all. Today, a new captain is setting out to zee. What kind of stories will be told of them?

This shows the main method of interacting with things in Sunless Sea – selecting choices in your ship's log. Naturally, we're going to be creating our character now.

Our first choice is who we were prior to being a zee-captain. Each choice comes with a very large increase to one of our stats. Let's take a minute to talk about stats.

Statistics posted:

Like all roguelikes, Sunless Sea has statistics. However, the ones you'll find here are far more abstract than usual, and named after the Masters, the unusual, faceless merchant-kings who run the Bazaar. Many of them are used in the zailing part of the game, and all of them are occasionally checked against in a pass/fail scenario while having adventures in port.
Hearts is the skill of healing and morale. It allows you to prevent your zailors from going mad, resisting madness yourself, and talking people into things. It has no effect on zailing.
Veils is the skill of stealth and subtlety. It is used in ports when you want to not attract attention to yourself. While zailing, the higher your Veils, the longer it takes opposing ships to draw a bead on, and fire on, your ship. More importantly, it also reduces enemy aggro range.
Pages is the skill of knowledge. Pages is tested to see if you know about something or to figure things out. While zailing, a higher Pages score makes it take fewer experience points to earn Secrets, which are spent to raise stats or bartered for rare goods. The overall effect is small, but adds up.
Mirrors is the skill of perception. Mirrors is checked to see if you notice something or if you can find the clues needed to puzzle something out. While at zee, Mirrors reduces the time it takes to achieve a firing solution, increasing our fire rate.
Irons is the skill of conflict. It is tested when one's strength, toughness, or prowess is in question. At zee, it increases the damage our cannons do.
It should be noted, we can raise all of these as we go, and will get officers to help raise them. But, right now, we get to double one starting stat from 25 to 50. None of them are useless, though, so choose whichever origin you think sounds most interesting!

Every captain sets out with a reason. Our captain today is no different. Long ago, the zee had taken someone important out of their life; today, they set out to bring them back... Or whatever is left of them.

This screen lets us determine our own win condition. Both 'Acquire Wealth' and 'Be the greatest explorer of all time' are simply resource-gathering ambitions, with no unique stories, and are consequentially kinda boring. We will be choosing 'Your father's bones'.

One last bit of paperwork was all that was left to file, and then the voyage could be underway.

Sunless Sea, much like Fallen London, is very friendly to the concept of gender fluidity. Our title here does not establish a gender, and gender never actually comes up. Take what sounds best.

And so began the story of a brave new captain.

Finally, we choose our name and our portrait. There are seven feminine, seven masculine, and seven non-gendered portraits to choose from. Below is an image of all of them.

So, we need to know... Who are we? I'll be taking submissions! Things up for choice are History, Title, Name, and Portrait. We also need a name for our ship! I strongly encourage anyone interesting in determining our future also write a few words about who our captain is.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Name: Noah
History: Priest
Title: Citizen
Portrait: 16
Ship: The Good Word

Now maybe on land we got shamed out of the church, but there's nobody to keep us from preaching out at zee! You can bring the gospel to distant lands and maybe whatever happens to be at the bottom of the lake. You've got a diving suit after all, and there's probably all sorts of stuff down there that's never heard your words of kindness. Its your duty to tell them!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Name: Miss Spoken
History: Poet
Title: Madam
Portrait: 7
Ship: The Readiness

"The Readiness is All," said Hamlet, and now my ship the Readiness is all I have. My father bought me the luxury of a life where I could give lease to my muse and hone my craft. The least I can do is spend the last of my patronage to bring him home.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Name: Millicent Stonecrawler
History: Natural Philosopher
Title: My Lord
Portrait: 6
Ship: The Indescribable horror

Millicent has always wondered. Wondered things like Why SHOULD the Farthingtons have more wealth and all the cushiest positions. How can they best be relieved of their wealth. Recently, Millicent has wondered Why did father disappear at Sea. How do I keep the thugs the Farthingtons have hired from murdering me.
Thus Millicent decides that this is probably a good time to be anywhere but London for the moment, and thus begins on a journey across

The Sunless Zee!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
So far so good! I should point out, I will be making my decision at noon, PST, tomorrow - in other words, about 22 hours from this post. The first journal entry should be up not long after that.

I look forward to seeing what shape our next captain takes!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh, yes! I was very interested in this game, since I am a citizen of Fallen London, but it turned out not to be the kind of game I believe I'd enjoy. I have no suggestions for now, but I am going to make a very good case for becoming a Zailor eventually...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Name: Homer B. Ewer
History: Veteran
Title: Captain
Portrait: 9
Ship: The Bursting Keg

All this talk of hell and zees and deep zee gods can drive a man to drink. You must understand this is for my sanity sir, no I have not had too much for my own good, why listen to those joyless natural philosophers when happiness and stability come served neat with a wedge of lemon? What do you mean I'm barred? This is the last speakeasy around that I'm still allowed in? Poppycock! I can make my own! I have the means and ability!

What do you mean it's illegal?
Well there are no laws out at Zee so I bid you charlatans good day.

And I find myself here out at Zee, dangerously sober. So why not make the most of it and make some strange and potent brew along the way?

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Name: Petra Blackwood
Portrait: 2
Ship: The Correspondence

Why, sir, I have no idea what is it that you mean! The name of my ship came from the only thing that kept me and my father in touch, obviously! sobs My dear, dear father! And now to go into the dark to find his final resting place! What horrors await me... Oh, all my paperwork is in order? I can leave immediately? Thank you, thank you so much for your expediency! What? No, no, nothing will ingnite because of my signature, whyever would you say such a thing..?

Wombat, could you resize your bigger screenshots? They're a bit table breaking.

Lokapala fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 21, 2015

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Name: Maynard G. Krebs
Portrait: 21
Ship: The Hepcat

"No, listen. You gotta understand how we, like, came from the sea and one day we'll, like, go back. The sea is our mother and our father. Our marther. That's what I'm trying to get across in my latest poem: The Incredible Squid. It's 800 lines of the most amazing free verse and erotic aquatic imagery. Let me just read it nouuuaaaarrghhhh! Unhand me! Get this bag off my he--mmmfffhgh!!! Mmmff!!!"

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Name: Ethan Archibald
Portrait: 11
Ship: The Estate

The world is a place, that holds main strange things. Some things are claimed to be only understood by men of the cloth, but that is a blind view. A view too bound by tradition. There is always an answer to the mysteries, and knowledge of man can find that. I shall be the one who find the secrets and bring them into the light of day, so that they will all see, how wrong they were.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Name: Elijah Darkendrum
History: Street Urchin
Portrait: 13
Ship: The Silver Leaf

The ways I sees it, the rooftops are a bit too small for the likes of little ole me and I have set mine eye on the sunless zee. So I'm going to set my sails into the broken storm and bring back the old paps bones. And steal some cash or a soul or too, to keep things interesting you see.

The name of the ship? It’s a story my mother used to tell me of a silver tree so amazing it would take your breath away, and of eagles that knew where secrets lay. So I took a leaf from the silver tree, for luck when I sail into that cold black zee.

A passage from the captains diary: They must never know. They must never know why I want those bones. He knew, he knew where it was. He had to have known where it was. He found it, I know he did, that d----d name. The dreams still reach me. North, North, North, North...

Edit: I just had to add that to the end, I couldn't resist.

Heliosmajestus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 21, 2015

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!

Lokapala posted:

Why, sir, I have no idea what is it that you mean! The name of my ship came from the only thing that kept me and my father in touch, obviously! sobs My dear, dear father! And now to go into the dark to find his final resting place! What horrors await me... Oh, all my paperwork is in order? I can leave immediately? Thank you, thank you so much for your expediency! What? No, no, nothing will ingnite because of my signature, whyever would you say such a thing..?

Inferior posted:

"No, listen. You gotta understand how we, like, came from the sea and one day we'll, like, go back. The sea is our mother and our father. Our marther. That's what I'm trying to get across in my latest poem: The Incredible Squid. It's 800 lines of the most amazing free verse and erotic aquatic imagery. Let me just read it nouuuaaaarrghhhh! Unhand me! Get this bag off my he--mmmfffhgh!!! Mmmff!!!"

These are both amazing.

I have no captain to add, although I would like to vote for Portrait 4. The tentacle head will not be denied!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Name: Sister Abigail Heston
History: Priest
Title: Madam
Portrait: 5
Ship: The Grace

Father was hardly a pious man. Greedy, envious, petty, and ambitious. Perhaps he sent me to the open arms of the Church to get them off his back, perhaps in that blackened heart of his, there was some remnant of paternal love and the understanding that he could hardly raise a daughter. But the zee claimed him, as it has claimed so many others. His debts came back, even when he didn't. First to my brother, who turned to crime. Then to me, now that my brother's earned a place at the gallows. My father's sins took my brother's life and it has taken my reputation. The church has raised me, but it cannot abide the daughter and sister of criminals and sinners. Instead, I must follow my father's footsteps and bring him back, if there's anything left to bring back. It will not pay off his debts, it will not redeem my family, but perhaps it will bring peace of mind.

Edit: added some flavor text.

Sinner Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 21, 2015

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Name : Götz von Berlichingen (the only realistic steampunk name, and also better at zailing ze zee then any Brit)
History : Solider
Title : Captain
Portrait : 16 (The diving helmet is the only appropriate mask for a 300 year old cyborg)
Ship : Iron Hand

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 21, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Inferior posted:

This gets my vote, except I think it'd make more sense with portrait 4.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lokapala posted:

This

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Corzanth posted:

These are both amazing.

I have no captain to add, although I would like to vote for Portrait 4. The tentacle head will not be denied!

I was REALLKY tempted to go squidhead.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Alright! I'll be starting the first journal entry now.

If your captain didn't make it, don't worry. There's certainly a chance something will happen to our brave captain, and I'll have to choose another of these poor souls to follow in her wake.

If you want to get aboard as a Zailor in the original eight, now is the time to pipe up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm ready to sail across the zee captain! :patriot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lookin fer zee crew are ye? Well sign me aboard, hopefully we find something to kill. :yarr:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sailor reporting for duty! Big Daddy Jones, in it for the money, and eager to smash some skulls. Not so eager to die, though, and will get upset at the captain for straying too far from the shore.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Sign me up for this first voyage which will in no way go wrong.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Well, sign me up. This ship will need someone that knows how to organize things.

edit, male for me please.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2015

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
I have been in London too long and I am ready to set sail! To the zee!!

Edit: male would be nice

Heliosmajestus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 21, 2015

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I live in London IRL, so I'm a natural pick for this crew!

I've always been drawn zeewards. There's something so soothing, isn't there? About the dark...

Edit: lady zailor btw, also like IRL

but not the zailor part

that would be hard

because the unterzee isn't real

Meis fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2015

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm pretty expendable. Zign me up!

Edit: I'll be a woman

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 21, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am ready to die horribly on a sunless sea, weeping for the lost hope of mankind.

Male Zailor. Mailor.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 21, 2015

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I've always wanted to gather a few zee-ztories.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
I just realized - Those of you requesting to be a Zailor should specify a gender, should you care. I'll be looking back through previous posts, so feel free to simply edit those.

And beyond the eighth person, I am sorry, you will not be on this voyage. For certainly nothing will ever happen to our original zailors that will require them to be replaced.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Black Wombat posted:

I just realized - Those of you requesting to be a Zailor should specify a gender, should you care. I'll be looking back through previous posts, so feel free to simply edit those.

And beyond the eighth person, I am sorry, you will not be on this voyage. For certainly nothing will ever happen to our original zailors that will require them to be replaced.
I wanted to go on a zee trek, but it looks like I'll have to wait to join zee next generation :smith:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry one – A new Correspondent's course

From The journal of Captain Petra Blackwood
November 27th, 1887

While preparing for my voyage overseas, I noticed a very particular thing in the newspaper today. The Gracious Widow had commissioned a fair-sized obituary for my long-lost father in The Magazine Formerly Known as the London Magazine. (The new name is rather a mouthful, isn't it?) I went to speak to her about this matter – I had no idea why the Widow would care so much about my father, so I went to speak with her. She claims information about him, but would not part with it easily.

She requires that I provide her with scintillack, the mesmeric coral. You cannot find scintillack in London – it is more important than ever that I receive my sailing papers.

November 30th, 1887 – Morning

I received the notice from the Admiralty yesterday afternoon. Finally, all my paperwork has cleared. They have been convinced I am neither spy nor traitor and will be permitted to sail the Unterzee! I can barely contain my excitement! And it comes not a moment too soon. Daddy's money is almost gone; I barely had enough echos to lease a room above the Blind Helmsman for a night in preparation for my departure.

But just because I am eager does not mean I can deviate from my routines. Routines fortify the mind. I took breakfast as I usually did, while reading the morning papers. I must admit to eating faster than I normally do, but one cannot blame me for my eagerness. Soon, all my preparations and study will come to a fruition! I am beyond excited to finally test some of my theories.

Your lodgings are is the best place to get rest. Resting is good at getting rid of Wounds, and poor at getting rid of Terror. Once we have some Echos in our pockets, we can upgrade to a proper house and do a bit more here. For now, let's move on.

Fortified by a proper meal of fishcake and fungus, I ventured out into London to make my final preparations.

The central London card is mostly used to repair your hull and restore crew, and meet new NPCs, who get their own cards once we know them.

My first stop was the Admiralty office. They informed me they would pay for information about goings-on at other ports in the Unterzee. While I am not exactly interested in compiling reports for the benefit of others, they will pay for them, and zailing is not a cheap endeavor. So long as I am compiling reports, I may as well make second copies for the Admiralty and make a few Echos on the side. They told me they especially needed a report on conditions at Gaider's Mourn. I made a note of that, thanked them, and back to London.

It is time to gather my crew. I had already recruited them, of course – Most zailors are unwilling to go on a voyage with a new captain into the unknown, so I did not tell them those things. It made recruiting far simpler, and I would not let myself be straddled with delays for my departure. In particular, a friend of mine, who studied with me at Benthic, has come aboard.

The second button is supposed to have a 'Chat with the Plausible Surgeon' tag besides it... All the other starting companions have it.

He apparently wants to visit some sort of beast-corpse repository, far to the east. While I admire his willingness to take risks in the pursuit of knowledge, I do wish he was seeking more dignified knowledge.

November 30th, 1887 – Afternoon

Finding my men was no difficult task. They are a diverse lot; the sort who are willing to sign on to voyages far from London usually are. The most dependable-looking of the lot is a man who calls himself Grandalt. I've elected him as my boatswain, and set him with most of the tasks of preparing the Correspondence for launch.

As my ship was preparing for departure, a ragged-looking tomb-colonist approached one of my zailors and asked to speak to me. He asked for transport to Venderblight, a city not far too the north. It seemed to be a good first trip for the Correspondence, and agreed to give him passage. (I think it was a him. It can be hard to tell with colonists.)

It was only after Jones and Meis carried him aboard did I realize it was traditional for tomb-colonists to travel in coffins.

With final preparations underway, I decided to walk the ship and examine the state of things myself.

The Correspondence may not be the finest ship on the Zee, but she's dependable enough. Her engine is old but serviceable, and her deck gun enough to deal with any threats we'll encounter close to London.

The Ligeia-class steamer is, as one would expect from our starter, a bad ship. It's got a small cargo hold, is fragile, lacks any optional equipment slots, and starts with a peashooter. We should avoid any but the easiest of fights until we get upgrades. The weapon statics are, in order – Damage to boats, damage to zee-monsters, crew damage, firing rate, and stun duration.

And with that, we were off.

This is the full-sized view of the game. This is the screen where zailing and combat happen, and what you'll be looking at for most of the game. Let's talk about what we're seeing here.

The HUD posted:

In the upper-left, you have the speed indicator and health indicator making up the upper- and lower-halves of the circle. To the right, you have our Fuel, Supply, and Terror gauges. We currently have 10 barrels of fuel (9 in reserve and a whole one in the engine), 5 crates of Supplies, and 0 terror. Running out of Fuel is disastrous, but supplies can be converted into fuel at a 2:1 ratio. Running out of Supplies is bad, unless you're into cannibalism. As Terror goes up, bad things start happening – Getting progressively worse until we reach 100, at which point – well. It's bad. Let's say that.

On the upper-right, you have our lovely portrait, along with those of all our officers. Below those are our stats, and our crew count – currently sitting at 8/10. If we get down to half, it seriously hampers our ship. Let's try to avoid that.

The lower left is our log. It'll record when we find things in the zee. Above it is our XP bar – when that fills, we get a Secret. The blue part is permanently filled, thanks to our Pages score.

The lower-right shows currently available stories. Those are what we can do in port, or if there's an event at zee that needs our attention.

The bottom is controls. We'll cover those another time.

November 30th, 1887 – Evening

We'd barely left London when we saw a island rising from the inky blackness of the Neath. Hunter's Keep, home of the three Sisters. Supposedly, they collect stories and relics from far across the zee. Supposedly, sometimes, strange singing is heard and odd lights are seen.

So naturally as a gracious zee-captain and envoy for Her Enduring Majesty, I felt it my responsibility to check in on the occupants of Hunter's Keep.

We also have an option to spy on the house, but our Veils is too low to have a good chance of pulling it off. Besides, Captain Blackwood isn't one to snoop on people like this.

Despite the relatively late hour, the sisters invited me in for lunch. Of course, with no sun, who can say it is not lunch? Perhaps it is they who know best.

And here we have our first choice! I honestly don't know if which of the Sisters you dine with, or what order you do it in on subsequent visits, changes the fate of Hunter's Keep... But perhaps it does. Who should we dine with today? And, for that matter, is there someone we should snub on future visits? And once we've had our lunch, should we continue north, to Venderblight? Or turn east, and try to find Port Cecil for the Widow?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's have lunch with Phoebe

She seems like the most helpful of the bunch

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Port Cecil always seems to spawn in the far east for me, so I don't know if you could make it there and back properly with your starting junk.

Also, I realize it's part of the game mechanics, but it strikes me as somewhat amusing that we and our crew are among the least durable folks in the Neath. I mean, I can understand crew being lost to explosions or going overboard and sinking or being devoured by a monster or something, but I've had a captain die for good via getting jabbed by a spear. And not even an eldritch or uncanny one, just a pointy stick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lunch with Lucy. The zea is far too gloomy, maybe she can teach us how to make it a happier place.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Also, I realize it's part of the game mechanics, but it strikes me as somewhat amusing that we and our crew are among the least durable folks in the Neath. I mean, I can understand crew being lost to explosions or going overboard and sinking or being devoured by a monster or something, but I've had a captain die for good via getting jabbed by a spear. And not even an eldritch or uncanny one, just a pointy stick.

It's mentioned one or twice in this game that for some reason dying at Zee makes you far more likely to die for real than when on land. Whatever it is that keeps death away from London (and a few other places) doesn't hold at zee.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Journal of Grandalt Nodington

Well, after about two weeks of searching for a new place after losing my place at Teashad Trading Company, I have found a new postion. The Correspondence is the name of the ship, and Petra Blackwood is the captain of the ship. A young captain and inexperienced, but perhaps fate will be kind. After a brief while, the voyage has begun, and I have been made Boatswain. A fine position indeed, and one with a decent amount of pay. I'll be able to keep my tea in the proper amount, hopefully.

Phoebe and Vanderblight is my vote.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 22, 2015

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Lets have lunch with Cynthia, because its always nice to spend time with such a proper lady.
We should also set our sights on Vanderblight, its close by and we DID agree to take Tomb-Colonist, might as well do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Let's have lunch with Lucy. She seems cheerful! :buddy:

• Locked thread