Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, this article lays out the legal niceties around the Travis Co. gay marriage case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

Once again, they haven't actually passed that bill.

Even moreso than that, they dropped the review of the AP course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Even moreso than that, they dropped the review of the AP course.

Hmmm so everyone was being hysterical for no reason, as usual.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Hmmm so everyone was being hysterical for no reason, as usual.

Problematic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ken Paxton is the next President of the United States because he sided with Christian liberty.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Nonsense posted:

Ken Paxton is the next President of the United States because he sided with Christian liberty.

I will say again that if you haven't yet checked out his facebook page, and you aren't already set for weeks of nightmares, do so.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm phone posting but you all should read this article. It's ten kinds of hosed up: http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/02-15-15-east-austin-pinata-store-jumpolin-demolition-property-owner/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xibanya posted:

I'm phone posting but you all should read this article. It's ten kinds of hosed up: http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/02-15-15-east-austin-pinata-store-jumpolin-demolition-property-owner/

The rear end in a top hat who bulldozed their business posted:

“Say you have a house that was infested by roaches,” French described it. “You have to clean that up.”

:stare:

Other highlights include trying to tar the victims by saying the husband of the couple was arrested because an informant tried to sell him stolen bikes, and that they were under investigation by the fire marshal was investigating them for having helium on the property. Note that helium is a noble gas. THEN the rear end in a top hat went on saying "They weren't selling pinatas, they made their real money selling stolen bikes and Helium! The criminals!"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Xibanya posted:

I accidentally clicked on the Texas thread but hoooooooooooooooooooooly gently caress.

Btw, Jordan French, this is one of his other ventures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki-PR_editing_of_Wikipedia

He is literally a professional liar.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Now that I'm on a computer, I'll post the entire article. It's just so much :stonk:

quote:

was once a piñata and party goods store in East Austin is now just another pile of rubble in the ongoing gentrification battles of the growing city.

There is a lot of conflicting information in the “he said, they said” story swirling around Jumpolin. The former piñata and party store at 1401 E. Cesar Chavez was demolished on Thursday, February 12, by ACI Design Build.

The owners of Jumpolin and tenants of the building Sergio and Monica Lejarazu say they had no idea that the building was going to be razed and were in shock when they drove up to see demolition crews tearing down the place — with everything still inside. Their entire business and livelihood — store inventory, cash registers and other property — were smashed in pieces on the ground.

“I was driving by like any other day, taking my daughter to school,” Sergio told CultureMap. “That’s when I saw it: my life’s work under the bulldozer.”

Sergio admits that they had received a notice from the building’s owners to vacate the premises two days before, which they immediately handed over to their attorney, Doran Peters. “But I swear to God, they never gave us a notice they would demolish.”

According to ACI Design Build, a demo notice was placed on the building once the permits were obtained, which the city verifies were properly filed. But Peters, a partner at Hajjar Peters LLP, asserts that an order to vacate the premises and a demolition two days later is far from due process of law.

"I swear to God, they never gave us a notice they would demolish," said Sergio Lajarazu, owner of Jumpolin.
“You can’t demo somebody’s building unless you get a court order for eviction. It’s the most basic, fundamental principle of law there is. The Lejarazus had a right to that premises; after a notice to vacate, then you have to go to court and get a court order and provide proper legal notice to my client. They didn’t want to do that because they knew they were going to lose, because my client did not default on the lease.”

The property, which includes the building in which Jumpolin was operated and another building behind it (not associated with the Jumpolin business), was bought in October 2014 by F&F Real Estate Ventures, an LLC owned by Jordan French and Darius Fisher. French and Fisher are also CEO and president, respectively, of Status Labs, an Austin image management company that offers public relations services to clients.

French told CultureMap that at least three notices were given to the Lejarazus via email and certified mail beginning in October 2014. The notices had to do with defects and lease violations including a dog on the property that supposedly bit somebody, helium tanks that French said posed a dangerous explosion threat and which the fire marshal was investigating (and that the Lejarazus did not have a proper permit for), and owed past due rent and fees related to inspections.

However, according to the Austin fire code sections 105.6.21.6 and 105.6.21.6.1, helium is one of the materials not requiring a permit. And Michelle Tanzola, Public Information and Marketing Manager for the Austin Fire Department, said that the AFD records do not show any pending violations of fire code or investigations at the property.

“As far as we are concerned, our inspectors were there on December 12, 2014 and January 15, 2015 respectively, and found no violations. The owner may have confused us with Code Compliance, a separate department.”

The Lejarazus do not argue with the fact that they had received several such notices since the new owners bought the property in the fall. On the day before Thanksgiving they received a notice to remove a storage container and piñatas within four days, over the holiday weekend. These were items they had written permission through their lease with the previous owner to have on premises. Other notices for past due rent and fees were given, though Peters says the tenants were not behind on their rent.

"They weren’t making a living selling piñatas; they were selling something else. I don’t want to speculate what that is," said property owner Jordan French.
“They had paid their rent in full; the ‘default’ was cured even though they were not in default,” Peters said. “The bottom line is, [the owners] have plans to build on that piece of property, and my clients’ contractual right to have possession of the premises just was getting in the way of that.”

French, however, said that he believes the piñata and party business was only a front for the real dealings of the store. He points to an arrest record in May 2014 that shows Sergio was arrested for buying two stolen bicycles from a police informant. It’s unclear whether he knew the bikes were stolen when he bought them; in any case Peters maintains that the arrest is completely irrelevant to this case.

“Probably their livelihood was selling helium and stolen bicycles,” French said. “They weren’t making a living selling piñatas; they were selling something else. I don’t want to speculate what that is.” However, he went on to suggest that it was likely “uncontrolled substances.” “That’s just my opinion, though,” French stated.

When asked why he would demolish the building with the inventory and property inside, he said, “You're assuming we knew something was inside. Sergio was not selling piñatas at the location — he had piñatas at a neighboring location — in the weeks leading up to the demo.”

French also pointed out that the situation is not over a residential lease. “The Lejarazus weren’t living there. This is a totally different ballgame. That building isn’t even conducive as a retail space to be selling piñatas,” he added.

But the Lejarazus have been running their business at the property for eight years, and another three years before that in a different location. They sold moonwalks that Sergio built himself and piñatas imported from Mexico as well as those that Monica hand-made in the store. “Customers would come in and say, ‘I want a piñata like that one, only can you change this or that,” she said. “Sometimes they would bring their children to see their piñatas being made.”

Peters filed a lawsuit on the Lejarazus behalf on Friday at 3 pm. “This type of situation with evictions happens in gentrification all over town,” Peters said. “But I’ve never seen a situation like this, where they just demolished someone’s building or house without due process of law. They were indecent about the whole thing; they lacked any sort of compassion or empathy in this.”

“We don’t understand what is going on. We don’t even feel safe right now. We don’t have any resources to fight these type of people,” said Sergio.

“At this moment, we have nothing,” Monica interjected. “We have to start again. We have money for two or three more days, and we don’t know what we will do after that.”

As far as the future of the site at 1401 E. Cesar Chavez, French was vague. He said that the still-standing building behind Jumpolin will not be demolished. The Jumpolin site will get cleaned up, landscaped and beautified, like the Big Red Sun property on the adjacent corner.

“Say you have a house that was infested by roaches,” French described it. “You have to clean that up.”

I have read other articles indicating that there were piñatas everywhere and passers by were taking them, so that puts a kibosh on that rear end in a top hat's claim that their shop was just a front for their drugs and stolen bicycle business :jerkbag: wow this actually makes me angry. I live in Austin, how can I join a protest or some poo poo about this?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 22, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oh by the way, just my opinion here, but I think they sell illegal narcotics out of their store, because how do you honestly believe those kind of people ever made a living on anything?

*bulldozes entire block to throw a plutocrat party*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

“They weren’t making a living selling piñatas; they were selling something else. I don’t want to speculate what that is.” However, he went on to suggest that it was likely “uncontrolled substances.” “That’s just my opinion, though,” French stated.

I don't understand, what's wrong with selling uncontrolled substances? :confused: Don't all stores do that, since selling controlled substances requires permits or is just plain illegal?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jordan is an entrepreneur at the front lines of image and reputation management. Jordan is the CEO and co-founder of StatusLabs, the reputation management firm that helps people look their best in Google. He has consulted Fortune 500 CEOs, governors, presidential candidates, and celebrities facing reputational damage. Prior to founding StatusLabs Jordan was an attorney-adviser to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission where he helped uncover and prosecute energy market manipulators and enforced grid reliability. Prior to his work at FERC, Jordan worked in intellectual property law at an international law firm and worked in the aerospace engineering field on the NASA-funded Mars Gravity Biosatellite at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Jordan has a B.S.E. in Biomedical Engineering from Vanderbilt University and earned his J.D. at Washington University in St. Louis. He is licensed to practice law in New York and Massachusetts.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xibanya posted:

I have read other articles indicating that there were piñatas everywhere and passers by were taking them, so that puts a kibosh on that rear end in a top hat's claim that their shop was just a front for their drugs and stolen bicycle business :jerkbag: wow this actually makes me angry. I live in Austin, how can I join a protest or some poo poo about this?

Yeah, I'm sure I know exactly which store it was, I'm not an east Austinite but there's only one store on E. Cesar Chavez decked out in festive pinatas that I know of. The fact that someone's insinuating that the family that worked there spent their life doing something other than spreading joy and cheer to kids via selling home-made pinatas and renting inflatable jumpy castles is incredibly infuriating.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Go protest the party they got permitted, or better yet, place a well timed 3-1-1 call and get the party shut down for code violations.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Every white person in austin probably needs to be up against the wall

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QwertyAsher posted:

Where's The Wall and do they take reservations? I hear everyone is going there!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QwertyAsher posted:

Fixed for D&D

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sales tax holiday for guns and ammo Sales Tax Holiday For Guns And Ammo SALES TAX HOLIDAY FOR GUNS AND AMMO
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00849I.htm

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

quote:

(b) The sale of a firearm or hunting supplies is exempted
from the taxes imposed by this chapter if the sale takes place
during a period:
(1) beginning at 12:01 a.m. on the Saturday of the last
full weekend in August and ending at 12 midnight on the following
Sunday;

Just in time for back-to-school shootings :downsgun:

(i am a terrible person)

Well, this guy is definitely worse and I hope his reputation is destroyed beyond repair

karlor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, it's more for hunting than it is 2nd Amendment but the narrative implications are there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Sales tax holiday for guns and ammo Sales Tax Holiday For Guns And Ammo SALES TAX HOLIDAY FOR GUNS AND AMMO
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00849I.htm

Surprised they didn't do this on President's day, to honor the founding fathers :911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Surprised they didn't do this on President's day, to honor the founding fathers :911:

Like I said it's for hunting not the Second Amendment.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
Even if it's for "hunting reasons", the tax holiday is still unnecessary IMO. I've spent a decent amount of time hunting and hanging around fellow hunters and never once heard of anyone complain that they were unable to hunt due to the burden of sales tax on ammo.

But what do I know? I'm the kind of loser who uses his grandfather's rifle instead of being a proud american consumerist who buys the latest model AR-15 each year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Like I said it's for hunting not the Second Amendment.

Isn't that what all firearms are REALLY for? Hunting? ;)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, the Tax Holiday for guns doesn't make nearly as much sense as the tax holiday for school supplies (including clothes).

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Lots of cops bully some old dudes at a VFW hall in TX.

The link

Or maybe, Crazy old guys send confusing documents to Kerr county court house, and a warrant for their arrest is issued.

Or, Local animal control officers threatening to strike, after not being included in the "big raid".

Why federal law enforcement was involved, is the really curious thing. I understand the "Old Coots piss off a judge, and get to visit him in court" part of this. But why the Feds??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dahn posted:

Why federal law enforcement was involved, is the really curious thing. I understand the "Old Coots piss off a judge, and get to visit him in court" part of this. But why the Feds??

quote:

Jarnecke's group, the subject of a half-hour YouTube documentary, maintains a small working government, including official currency, congress and courts.

Though that would be the secret service and not the FBI.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

The link

Or maybe, Crazy old guys send confusing documents to Kerr county court house, and a warrant for their arrest is issued.

Or, Local animal control officers threatening to strike, after not being included in the "big raid".

Probably because impersonating a judge through the USPS is a federal crime.

hobbesmaster posted:

Though that would be the secret service and not the FBI.

That guy isn't a federal agent, he and his group are RoT people.

Edit: yeah check out the RoT side of thing. Not crazies acting like they're unbound by US law at all:

quote:

The fortuitously warrant revealed it was issued by 216th District Court Judge N. Keith Williams of Kerr County alleging an unauthorized summons had been issued by the Republic of Texas. The documents alleged to be unauthorized were a Writ of Mandamus and a Writ of Quo Warranto issued by “The Officers and Constituents of The International Common Law Court for the Republic of Texas to Melvin Rex Emerson Jr., Court Administrator, and Color of Law ID No. 24009018, 700 Main Street, Kerrville, Texas. Kerr County” and was so stated on the document “This writ is hereby served by said Petitioner upon you, Melvin Rex Emerson Jr. as an individual”. In no way was the “State of Texas” intimated to be part or parcel to the documents.

If the Writ of Mandamus and the Quo Warranto issued for the Republic of Texas International Common Law Court were purely frivolous in nature, then why did this judge call out HIS MILITIA to address this action? What instilled such fear in him? Why was it necessary to confiscate tens of thousands of dollars, Gold and Silver Metals being private and confidential property that was unrelated to the search warrant for a allegedly Class A Misdemeanor offense? One Texian noted that one officer confided that he probably would NEVER see his property again. Just who is the guilty party here? Could it be that the people of the Republic of Texas are rightfully fully vested with the power of the paperwork served on Judge Everson? Undoubtedly, additional paperwork needs to be issued! You decide.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 24, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Probably because impersonating a judge through the USPS is a federal crime.

Ahh, that makes more sense, "the post office".

Rule number 142 in the DIY shadow government handbook:
Always use Fedex when sending threatening documents.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dahn posted:

The link

Lol it happened here in Bryan. I've heard of those Republic of Texas guys before; they get up to some crazy stuff. They're not a full on militia, but there are militia groups tied in with them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Lol it happened here in Bryan. I've heard of those Republic of Texas guys before; they get up to some crazy stuff. They're not a full on militia, but there are militia groups tied in with them.

Do they have any ties to the militia groups that Rick Perry used to patrol the border?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Do they have any ties to the militia groups that Rick Perry used to patrol the border?

The gently caress are you talking about

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I don't recall the names of the particular groups. I just recall reading or seeing something a couple years ago where they were doing "training weekends" out in the sticks, and I definitely recall seeing the RoT name attached. It's probably a safe bet they do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

The gently caress are you talking about

Rick Perry had nothing to do with the groups themselves, but they 'activated' themselves around the same time he called up the National Guard:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140801-masked-armed-militias-patrolling-texas-side-of-border-draw-scrutiny.ece

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So why put it like that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

So why put it like that?

Because he actively courts groups like those.

quote:

On at least two separate occasions, Perry has argued that Texas has the right to secede from the union, and suggested that he might be prompted to follow through with it.[20][21] Perry has repeatedly associated himself with neo-Confederate groups, received support from them, and campaigned for preserving Confederate monuments.[22] While the rest of the country would probably rejoice if Perry and his followers buggered off and constrained their madness to their own state, it's still treasonous and illegal to attempt to break up the union.
In August 2011, in comments aimed at Federal Reserve boss Ben Bernanke, Perry declared that printing more cash (known as quantitative easing) was "treasonous in [his] opinion", and suggested that Bernanke had better stay out of Texas, lest he come to harm.[23] Even his Republican colleagues found those remarks a little unpresidential.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't even know why I bother even calling out liberals who think it's ok to deliberately lie about their political enemies while getting apoplectic when conservatives deliberately lie about Obama.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Rick Perry had nothing to do with the groups themselves, but they 'activated' themselves around the same time he called up the National Guard:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140801-masked-armed-militias-patrolling-texas-side-of-border-draw-scrutiny.ece

Private people, watching private land for trespassers, not much of a story. This is Texas after all.

Old Rancher "people keep breakin into my barn and stealing fuel out my tractor"
Young Rancher "mind if I sleep in your barn tonight with my shotgun, keep an I on things?"
Old Rancher "sure"
(later that night some punk sneaks into the barn with an empty fuel can and some rubber hose)
Young Rancher "what do you think your doing in here"
Some Punk "ohh poo poo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

Private people, watching private land for trespassers, not much of a story. This is Texas after all.

Old Rancher "people keep breakin into my barn and stealing fuel out my tractor"
Young Rancher "mind if I sleep in your barn tonight with my shotgun, keep an I on things?"
Old Rancher "sure"
(later that night some punk sneaks into the barn with an empty fuel can and some rubber hose)
Young Rancher "what do you think your doing in here"
Some Punk "ohh poo poo!"

Yeah except that's not was happening at all.