Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

##Support the Florentine Student: "Let's be smart about this."
Zikan
Rumda
Hutter
Lustful Man Hugs
RZApublican
Rodyle
crimea
ThatBasqueGuy
ThaumPenguin
Another Otter
Sindai
WeaponGradeSadness
AdventFalls
D3m3
GSD
Kellanved
Vernii
mcclay
Thordain
Soup du Jour
StrifeHira
Clayren
Aeromancia
Lynneth

##Support the Counterfactual Historian: "..."
tabris
Raserys
GunnerJ

##Support the True Believer: "Who among us hasn't noticed the taint of blood on every breeze blowing across the Bosphorus?"
sniper4625
Flesnolk
Lord Cyrahzax
TheMcD
QuoProQuid
Ghostwoods

##Support the Traitor to Her Class: "Another acted through his skin. "
Freudian
AJ_Impy
GoatLord
Frontspac
Ghetto Prince
Glenn Zimmerman
Chwoka

:siren: VOTE CLOSED :siren:

: Well, that's it for today! Spyromilios makes a fine Cincinnatus. Perhaps in the modern age that will involve a bit less nude farmwork, but that's Cincinnatus for you.

: I noticed a lot of you are voting to adjourn, though. I can't wait to get out of here and get back to work, either! So don't worry, we've worked through the agenda, and tomorrow we'll all get to go back to our communes and put all this into practice.

: Oh, so if you want to register as an international delegation, you should probably get that out of the way. I'll be saying a few brief words tomorrow, and then we'll all be on our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Rincewind posted:

[Perhaps in the modern age that will involve a bit less nude farmwork, but that's Cincinnatus for you.]

This is not the revolution I bled for

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

You're standing in Eyüp Cemetery, an old burial ground in the district of Kosmídion. Kosmídion once lay outside the walls of Constantinople, but as the city grew, tendrils of development stretched outwards into the countryside. With the walls themselves gone, Kosmídion has taken on the character of a Constantinople neighborhood.

It's a warm, late summer day. You were reasonably sure it was October, but you must be wrong. The sun dips lazily beneath the western horizon. It's one of those gorgeous red-drenched Krakatoa sunsets.

You see some soldiers solemnly digging graves in the cemetery. About half are clearly Red Guards, but the other half are still wearing the uniforms of the old Republican army. They're working together, though, moving the earth and carrying coffins to their resting places. Hostilities had apparently come to an end. The vast majority of the dead seem to be from the old republic's capital city garrison.

A mehterân plays the old Byzantine national anthem mournfully as the tricolor is hauled down, and the Internationale joyously as a plain red flag But what about the banner you saw the Flag Committee design with your own two eyes? is hauled up. The troops, republican and Red, stand with their hats in their hands, looking down.

A road to the old city center leads to the east. A stairway leading further into the cemetery lies to the west.

INVENTORY

A hyperpyron of Alexios I

A baseball

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

> Go West

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Go West, and find a priest to bless the dead of the Old Republic only.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Throw Ball to Republican Guard

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Pay 5 nex and a flawed diamond, remove all your nightmares.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

You make your way down to the Eyüp Sultan Mosque, one of the first mosques built by the Turks who began to make their homes in Constantinople in the age of the Komnenoi. It's one of the oldest mosques in the whole capital, built on the tomb of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, one of the companions of Muhammed, who participated in the first Arab siege of Constantinople. As he lay dying, he asked to be buried as close to the city as possible. His army fought their way through the Romans, bearing their fallen leader to the foot of the Theodosian Walls that had thwarted their attempt to besiege the city, and remained inviolate until the Deluge.

You instinctively glance back east, and feel reassured to see the imposing bulk of the walls. You're pretty sure that they're supposed to be there.

The tricolor flutters from the parapets. Soldiers in red fezes and blue coats march back and forth, patrolling the perimeter of the city. An officer and her staff peer through a telescope, deeply concerned with whatever they see to the west, past you, past Eyüp, somewhere over the horizon.

INVENTORY

A baseball

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
>Ask them what they see

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Look to the west.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Inform of the soldiers of communist filth desecrating the bodies of their comrades to the East!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

>Ask them what they see

You walk back to the walls and shout up at the officer, but she's absorbed in whatever she's looking at.

Luhood posted:

Throw Ball to Republican Guard

You throw the ball up at the wall, startling the guards. One of them points his rifle at you. That got their attention.

"Hey!" you yell, "What's she looking at through that telescope."

The guard looks at you like you're some kind of idiot.

"Get back in the city, moron," the guard finally says, "They're closing the gates soon."

INVENTORY

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Go to the City, and hide in Hagia Sophia!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
>Go back the way you came and then East to the city center

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

> leave the city behind

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

> Add guard to inventory

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

> climb the walls

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
>Look in the direction they're looking.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
>Get back in the city

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
>Declare support the Puppet Emperor

D3m3, your little picture and caption made me laugh like you couldn't believe!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Go to the City, and hide in Hagia Sophia!

Whatever's going on out here, you decide you're in need of some sanctuary, and Eyüp Sultan's on the wrong side of the walls.

You join a stream of refugees from the suburbs of Constantinople flooding through the gates. Odd that you didn't notice that crowd earlier, but you've had a lot on your mind.

As you get closer and closer to the gate, the crowd slows down more and more as it tries to fit through a comparatively narrow opening. The officer finally looks down from her telescope. One of her functionaries hands her a speaking trumpet, and she addresses the throngs gathered below. "Please, citizens, remain calm! There's more than enough room in the city for all of you— you have nothing to fear from the Ming Empire behind these walls! But please do your part for the Republic and form an orderly queue."

You see columns of smoke rising from the southwest, and hoofbeats in the distance.

QUESTS
Get to the Hagia Sophia

INVENTORY

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
>End the nightmare
>Tear away the false trappings of reality
>Kill Self
>Rend flesh
>Howl in undying anguish

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

> Try to escape the crowd

> Find another entrance

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

>Proceed to the front of the queue, and say you are a member of the National Assembly!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Form an Orderly queue, don't go to the front, be a nice person.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

>Proceed to the front of the queue, and say you are a member of the National Assembly!

Somehow, they're buying it! The crowd parts for you, since clearly somebody as good at shouting over people and arguing must be an Assemblyperson. You made it just in time, too— right as you've passed through the gate, an alarum rings atop the wall and the soldiers start hauling the massive doors shut. A portcullis drops with a deafening clang.

You're now standing on the streets of Constantinople. Churchbells are ringing all over the city. Columns of soldiers are marching west, and hordes of civilians trying to get deeper into the city are being shoved out of their way. You hear gunshots from the wall's parapets. You don't want to know if they're shooting at the invading Chinese or the refugees, and frankly you'd rather not know.

The ground shakes, and you're knocked off your feet. You're wondering how the enemy's artillery got in firing range that quickly when a house falls on you.

You aren't sure how much time has passed by the time you come to and gingerly pick your way out of the rubble. The city around you looks hard-done by, darker and more ramshackle than you've ever seen it. There's a massive hole in the Theodosian Walls, which can't be a good sign. Bodies in red and gold uniforms line the streets, pincushioned here and there with broken pikes. A flag with a chi rho on the left and a trąby on the right lies trampled in the mud.

You can't hear any fighting anymore, and you aren't even sure if you're on the same street you started on. You still see the Hagia Sophia rising over the city to the east, though. Between the road to the Hagia Sophia and you, though, there's a party of musketeers in pale blue coats. They're carefully watching workers empty the contents of a general store out onto the street. A clerk wearing a blue sash carefully makes note of them on a ledger. She affixes a stamp to the most valuable items, which are then sorted into a separate pile and loaded onto a waiting cart.

You'll have to get past the soldiers if you want to get to the Hagia Sophia.

QUESTS
Get to the Hagia Sophia

INVENTORY

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

get a stamp and put it on yourself, escape on the cart!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

>Calmly walk past the soldiers, and if they confront you, give their officer the hyperpyron.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
How did China fall so far behind again?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

> Supervise the clerk's work for a short time before assuring her that she is doing a good job and you will inform her superiors of it, then pretend to take a note while walking casually past the line of soldiers

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

>Calmly walk past the soldiers, and if they confront you, give their officer the hyperpyron.

The clerk seems deeply impressed with the hyperpyron. "An Alexios I hyperpyron? That's one of the first hyperpyrons ever minted, you know! You guys were still using the solidus until Alexios' monetary reforms. I've always wanted one of these, it'll look great next to my Julian the Apostate back at my estate in Mogadishu. Tell you what, pal, how about we keep this between you and me, I put this coin in my pocket instead of stamping it, I tell those soldiers over there you didn't have any valuables on you, and we both go our separate ways and-- poo poo!" A musket shot from the west misses her head by inches.

More shots ring out from the direction of the wall. The Somalian soldiers turn back and return fire. There's then a lull while both sides reload their weapons. The official is incensed. "What's the deal, you lunkheads?" she asks her troops, "I thought this whole district was locked down! "

The air is thick with powder-smoke. You can see the vague shapes of soldiers moving in through the breach in the Theodosian Walls under a red and gold flag. Roman reinforcements? You didn't think there was an armed Roman left anywhere in Byzantion.

They finish reloading their muskets first, and half a dozen soldiers standing near fall dead, their muskets and pikes clattering across the cobblestones. The surviving musketeers standing behind the remnants of the front rank of pike are still furiously filling their weapons with powder.

"Fall back!" says an officer on horseback, saber glinting in the setting sun, "The walls are lost! Fall back!"

You hadn't seen the officer before. You also aren't really sure why he's speaking Greek. Or wearing a red coat. Or why the standard bearer beside him is carrying the banner of the Radziwill monarchy. Oh. Oh dear.

You look back at that red and gold banner the soldiers surging through the wall were carrying. A double-headed eagle.

Da Qin!

You're trying to remember just how much faster a firing rate Chinese muskets have when the Da Qin soldiers open fire again. The officer's horse rears up and its rider is thrown off into the street, yelling a mix of Greek and Turkish obscenities. The surviving Roman aquebusiers give up on trying to fumble through reloading their weapons and start running, abandoning the pikemen to their fate.

You feel something wet, and look at your hand. It's soaked in blood, sickly scarlet, the color of the banners both armies are fighting under. Looks like a musket shot winged you in the side! You were probably just grazed, though.

It's nothing to worry about.

QUESTS
Get to the Hagia Sophia
Avoid bleeding to death

INVENTORY

A musket ball

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 22, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

>Tear off some of your clothes and make a quick bandage for your side, and then follow in the fleeing soldiers wake to Hagia Sophia!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 22, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
>Sit down and rest. Just for a second.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
>Stand and stare at the blood pouring from your side.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

>Tear off some of your clothes and make a quick bandage for your hand, and then follow in the fleeing soldiers wake to Hagia Sophia!

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

>Rifle through the bodies, attempt to recover hyperpyron

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
But...our hand isn't bleeding? The wound is in our side.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This is embarrassing. Corrected.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Your shame lives on forever in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all