Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gumball is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
So... I caught a re-run of Teen Titans Go! that, in about 10 minutes, had a Ducktales AND a Never Ending Story reference. And now I feel bad about not having every single episode on my DVR.

"Who knew you could swim in gold? We're rich! Woo-hoo!"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Acquire Currency! posted:

Gumball is really good

Gumball is the only show I've seen pull the "guy in a dress" bit and make it really, really funny instead of just painfully awkward.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Gumball is the only show I've seen pull the "guy in a dress" bit and make it really, really funny instead of just painfully awkward.

"Why don't you just sit there and look pretty while the rest of us get on with class"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I had no idea Alyson Stoner (voice of Isabella on Phineas and Ferb, as well as an actress on some not-as-good stuff on Disney Channel) danced on a Missy Elliot video when she was younger. She just made a tribute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEOo311_yts

Jack Gladney posted:

Regular Show is not the best barometer of where people are in thinking about the 80s. Its 80s levels are about equal to The Americans.
Regular Show doesn't even take place in the '80s, it just has a lot of '80s references. And when did it get cool to be nostalgic about that decade? It sucked in almost every way possible, and no amount of Regular Show musical montages or episodes of The Goldbergs can make me think otherwise.

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you have Hulu Plus, Cartoon Network just added the entire run of Flapjack. Flapjack was never on Netflix so this is good news for everyone.

http://www.hulu.com/the-marvelous-misadventures-of-flapjack
That show and Chowder were really good, but they came out right before Cartoon Network struck gold with Adventure Time and Regular Show, so they fell down the same memory hole that everything else that came before them did. I know that J.G. Quintel was responsible for a few episodes of Flapjack- namely, the one with the evil Zoltar-like thing.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I had no idea Alyson Stoner (voice of Isabella on Phineas and Ferb, as well as an actress on some not-as-good stuff on Disney Channel) danced on a Missy Elliot video when she was younger. She just made a tribute video.

She used to be one of Missy's regular dancers, not just in one video. She was pretty popular, so much so that when Missy showed up on the Superbowl this year, Alyson's friends all asked her why she wasn't up dancing with her.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

She used to be one of Missy's regular dancers, not just in one video. She was pretty popular, so much so that when Missy showed up on the Superbowl this year, Alyson's friends all asked her why she wasn't up dancing with her.
A bunch of people on Twitter asked that, according to the Buzzfeed article that I didn't feel like posting here because a lot of people don't like that site.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Regular Show doesn't even take place in the '80s, it just has a lot of '80s references. And when did it get cool to be nostalgic about that decade? It sucked in almost every way possible, and no amount of Regular Show musical montages or episodes of The Goldbergs can make me think otherwise.

That show and Chowder were really good, but they came out right before Cartoon Network struck gold with Adventure Time and Regular Show, so they fell down the same memory hole that everything else that came before them did. I know that J.G. Quintel was responsible for a few episodes of Flapjack- namely, the one with the evil Zoltar-like thing.

What memory hole? Nerds on the internet mention those shows quite a bit. Especially Flapjack since it had some hosed poo poo. The memory hole you're thinking about is CN Real.

Remember that? I don't.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

What memory hole? Nerds on the internet mention those shows quite a bit. Especially Flapjack since it had some hosed poo poo. The memory hole you're thinking about is CN Real.

Remember that? I don't.
Internet nerds remember it, but it's effectively forgotten by Cartoon Network. I can count on one hand the times they showed an episode of Chowder and Flapjack in the Adventure Time/Regular Show era on the network. I hope that they continue to put up old shows in a way that's not the Netflix model.

Also, we do not speak of CN Real.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Y-Hat posted:

A bunch of people on Twitter asked that, according to the Buzzfeed article that I didn't feel like posting here because a lot of people don't like that site.

If someone gets mad that you posted a buzzfeed link they're probably a mile up their own rear end.

CNreal lmao
http://cartoonnetwork.wikia.com/wiki/CN_Real

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Dude, What Would Happen was clearly the pinnacle of television, past and future.

(But seriously, I actually do remember Destroy Build Destroy being kind of fun every once in a while)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Internet nerds remember it, but it's effectively forgotten by Cartoon Network. I can count on one hand the times they showed an episode of Chowder and Flapjack in the Adventure Time/Regular Show era on the network. I hope that they continue to put up old shows in a way that's not the Netflix model.

Also, we do not speak of CN Real.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them appear on the program guide for Boomerang. Now that they've rebranded it to basically look like Cartoon Network 2 instead of the retro channel focused to older audiences, I bet you'll be seeing a lot more of the 2000s era stuff everyone either forgot or didn't give a poo poo about in the first place. I've seen the most commercials for What's New Scooby Doo and that God awful CG Garfield show.

Re: CN Real, I'm just glad that I don't have to see commercials for Level Up or that terrible sketch show that the Adventure Time kid was in anymore.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 15, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Have you been living under a rock the last 10 years?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Have you been living under a rock the last 10 years?
Sometimes I wish I had been.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Y-Hat posted:

It's called getting old. People start to either misremember and/or idolize times when they were younger or never experienced.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crabtree posted:

It's called getting old. People start to either misremember and/or idolize times when they were younger or never experienced.

Yeah. Like now that we're old enough we can buy all the power gloves and Ninja Turtle shitbwe wanted as 6 year olds.

Also, a lot of that nostalgia wave comes from people being like 5 during the 80a AMD using video cameras, walkmen, laser tag getups or video game consoles for the first time.

poo poo like the fashion or politics or economy are way, way, way behind making a reference to this awesome new movie, RoboCop or whatever the gently caress.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

raditts posted:

Now that they've rebranded it to basically look like Cartoon Network 2 instead of the retro channel focused to older audiences, I bet you'll be seeing a lot more of the 2000s era stuff everyone either forgot or didn't give a poo poo about in the first place.

If this means that they give Sheep In The Big City a proper chance again I will be eternally grateful

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

And when did it get cool to be nostalgic about that decade? It sucked in almost every way possible, and no amount of Regular Show musical montages or episodes of The Goldbergs can make me think otherwise.

I think people are just hardwired to have a nostalgic fondness for anything that happened when they were 11-13 years old. Also, he 80's was the last era of American history that wasn't drenched in bitterness and cynicism. I mean, yeah everything was cheap, stupid and corporate as gently caress, but there was a childish sense of fun to the whole thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

readingatwork posted:

I think people are just hardwired to have a nostalgic fondness for anything that happened when they were 11-13 years old. Also, he 80's was the last era of American history that wasn't drenched in bitterness and cynicism. I mean, yeah everything was cheap, stupid and corporate as gently caress, but there was a childish sense of fun to the whole thing.

Are you out of your mind? All children's media in the 80s was predicted on selling poo poo. Everything you love off tv was brainwashing. It was mindless and stupid because they knew kids can't tell the difference.

Reagan was a loving war criminal who began the free-market death spiral that's been killing us for 20 years now. Everything has always been bitter and cynical.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

readingatwork posted:

No the decade of AIDS, Latin American death squads, the resurgent Cold War, the Iran-Iraq war, the rise of reactionary conservatism, the beginning of the slow death of the American middle class, the last and most bleak years of Communism, etc, etc, etc, weren't really childish or fun in any universe other than one created by advertisers

The 1980s has become for Gen X and Y what the 1950s was for Boomers in terms of people utterly convinced it was a golden age paradise on earth because they were (upper) middle class white suburban children at the time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 15, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The 80s? Not cynical? Are we talking about the 1880s or what?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The '90s were clearly the true golden age

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This just in:

Things are always terrible, you were just too young to see the awful in the world.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish sithsaber were here to comment on this

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

No the decade of AIDS, Latin American death squads, the resurgent Cold War, the Iran-Iraq war, the rise of reactionary conservatism, the beginning of the slow death of the American middle class, the last and most bleak years of Communism, etc, etc, etc, weren't really childish or fun in any universe other than one created by advertisers

The 1980s has become for Gen X and Y what the 1950s was for Boomers in terms of people utterly convinced it was a golden age paradise on earth because they were (upper) middle class white suburban children at the time

You're really dumb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariza posted:

You're really dumb.

You haven't spent enough time on the internet, but you should also not do that because you will be worse off.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Acquire Currency! posted:

I wish sithsaber were here to comment on this

Look, I get that irony is fun and all, but don't joke about this stuff, man. There are people that still haven't completely recovered.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Are you out of your mind? All children's media in the 80s was predicted on selling poo poo. Everything you love off tv was brainwashing. It was mindless and stupid because they knew kids can't tell the difference.

Reagan was a loving war criminal who began the free-market death spiral that's been killing us for 20 years now. Everything has always been bitter and cynical.

Did you miss the part where I said the 80's were "shallow, stupid and corporate as gently caress?"

I'm not saying the 80's were actually great. I'm just explaining why some people look back at them with fondness. Remember, all the stuff you mentioned are things people my age only became aware well of over a decade later. I was born in 83 so I barely even knew who Reagan even was much less the details of Iran-Contra. Plus we were still relatively prosperous at the time and still believed that if we all just worked really hard we'd be millionaires. It felt good to be a (white, middle class) American at the time, even if the reality under the surface was ugly.

Plus, some stuff from the 80's was legitimately amazing. He-Man is high art and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

axleblaze posted:

The 80s? Not cynical? Are we talking about the 1880s or what?

Again, I'm talking more about the tone and perception of the decade (viewed by kids through the lens of popular culture) rather than objective reality.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

You haven't spent enough time on the internet, but you should also not do that because you will be worse off.

I don't mind 80s stuff and I was none of the dumb things you posted. I was poor and black, but the 80s were a good time to be poor and black. Trying to equivocate them to the 50s is lazy at best. It's just not true in any way.

This is legitimately the dumbest argument I've ever had on the internet. And in a kids cartoon thread of all places.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Did you miss the part where I said the 80's were "shallow, stupid and corporate as gently caress?"

I'm not saying the 80's were actually great. I'm just explaining why some people look back at them with fondness. Remember, all the stuff you mentioned are things people my age only became aware well of over a decade later. I was born in 83 so I barely even knew who Reagan even was much less the details of Iran-Contra. Plus we were still relatively prosperous at the time and still believed that if we all just worked really hard we'd be millionaires. It felt good to be a (white, middle class) American at the time, even if the reality under the surface was ugly.

Plus, some stuff from the 80's was legitimately amazing. He-Man is high art and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Again, I'm talking more about the tone and perception of the decade (viewed by kids through the lens of popular culture) rather than objective reality.

So it's exactly like the 50s? I'm not even really trying to be that negative, maybe I came off too strong. It just strikes me as an interesting parallel

Ariza posted:

I don't mind 80s stuff and I was none of the dumb things you posted. I was poor and black, but the 80s were a good time to be poor and black. Trying to equivocate them to the 50s is lazy at best. It's just not true in any way.

?

It's a decade marked mostly by conservatism/reactionism and idealized by the generation that grew up in it as a golden age, the very next generation after the one with the 50s in fact

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

This is legitimately the dumbest argument I've ever had on the internet. And in a kids cartoon thread of all places.

I don't think he was saying that the stuff going on were the same level of awful between the 50s and 80s, just that they're both times that are dumbly idealized because the people of their respective gens look back at them fondly because they look back at childhood fondly and also they don't really associate those gens with all the bad stuff that went down because children tend to not notice that stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariza posted:

I think you're responding to a different poster here, but AIDS, crack, militarization of police, the end of affirmative action, and the myth of the welfare queen weren't really bad for poor, black Americans? Bad for all Americans obviously, but targeted really squarely (or indifference from authorities targeted really squarely in the case of AIDS and crack) at destroying black communities. It's true that things are worse now, but only because those trends have rolled on unchecked to the point where cops can kill a black kid right on tv and not even worry about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jack Gladney posted:

I think you're responding to a different poster here, but AIDS, crack, militarization of police, the end of affirmative action, and the myth of the welfare queen weren't really bad for poor, black Americans? Bad for all Americans obviously, but targeted really squarely (or indifference from authorities targeted really squarely in the case of AIDS and crack) at destroying black communities. It's true that things are worse now, but only because those trends have rolled on unchecked to the point where cops can kill a black kid right on tv and not even worry about it.

I'm pretty sure they were responding to exactly the right poster.

quote:

they were (upper) middle class white suburban children at the time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure they were responding to exactly the right poster.

icantfindaname posted that response, not me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

Look, I get that irony is fun and all, but don't joke about this stuff, man. There are people that still haven't completely recovered.

If you ever need a detox read what he got probbied for in CC

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I agree that the existence of Ronald Reagan alone made the 80s lovely...

...HOWEVER, one thing that no one can dispute is that it was the decade that had probably the golden age of cartoon music (followed closely by the 90s for the most part).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nah, it's just that a lot of the better 90s show intros were attached to some crazy garbage so no one remembers or ever saw them. Shows that only lasted like half a season before they ran out of steam and then died for the rest of the season. 80s garbage kids shows were at least good at the two things they were designed to do: hold kids' attention and entertain enough to sell poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_uSvCBtMF0

I still hum this to myself sometimes

E: My power ranking is: '90s, '00s, '80s, '10s, Scooby-Doo, '70s

This is something me and my crew talk about a lot because we're terrible people who have no sense of good or bad.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Nah, it's just that a lot of the better 90s show intros were attached to some crazy garbage so no one remembers or ever saw them. Shows that only lasted like half a season before they ran out of steam and then died for the rest of the season. 80s garbage kids shows were at least good at the two things they were designed to do: hold kids' attention and entertain enough to sell poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_uSvCBtMF0

I still hum this to myself sometimes

E: My power ranking is: '90s, '00s, '80s, '10s, Scooby-Doo, '70s

This is something me and my crew talk about a lot because we're terrible people who have no sense of good or bad.

Points for choosing that rocking theme. :hfive: