Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stick Insect posted:

What I mean to say with "development hell" is that none of the three games I've mentioned have a clear release date. They will be in development until the money runs out or the devs get bored. When that happens they'll either ask for more money, or call it 1.0 and move on to something else. Better to have an idea of what constitutes a finished game, so you can make an estimate of a release date.

Yes but that is not a development hell.
That is called indie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bettik posted:

Man that space picture is cool. Assuming it's expensive to create a larger platform you suddenly have to worry not just about making poo poo at all, but also about making it in the most space-efficient way. Not a consideration we've really had to deal with before.

Still pretty much not gonna, like anything in Factorio if I need more of something, I need too much of something. I will put the entire planet in orbit if I have to. :science:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does autosaving incur a tiny one second or something loading window with you guys? I can't remember this being a thing last version i played.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evilreaver posted:

Still pretty much not gonna, like anything in Factorio if I need more of something, I need too much of something. I will put the entire planet in orbit if I have to. :science:

The planet is already in orbit silly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just got this and have started working my way through the tutotials. I just finished the intro to electricity one but i couldn't get a self sufficient setup running.

I had the steam engine powering the coal miner and then changed the initial setup a bit to have inserters pointing to each of the boilers and rerouted the conveyor belt from the electric miner to them. My logic being that the steam generator powered the miner and the inserters which keep feeding the boilers with coal to produce the electricity. The thing is, the inserters refused to put coal in the boiler.

I tried various positions and am pretty sure that i got it right, it just refused to insert things into the boiler.

Am i missing something?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Kin posted:

I just got this and have started working my way through the tutotials. I just finished the intro to electricity one but i couldn't get a self sufficient setup running.

I had the steam engine powering the coal miner and then changed the initial setup a bit to have inserters pointing to each of the boilers and rerouted the conveyor belt from the electric miner to them. My logic being that the steam generator powered the miner and the inserters which keep feeding the boilers with coal to produce the electricity. The thing is, the inserters refused to put coal in the boiler.

I tried various positions and am pretty sure that i got it right, it just refused to insert things into the boiler.

Am i missing something?

Are the boilers full? The inserters won't continue stuffing coal into boilers forever; only until the boiler doesn't need any more, usually 5(iirc) chunks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Royal W posted:

Are the boilers full? The inserters won't continue stuffing coal into boilers forever; only until the boiler doesn't need any more, usually 5(iirc) chunks.

Ah, i assumed since i can stuff 50 chunks in there that the inserters would fill it up to the same level.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kin posted:

Ah, i assumed since i can stuff 50 chunks in there that the inserters would fill it up to the same level.

they only put 3 or 4 in, so that the first thing on the line doesn't take everything that comes down.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Does autosaving incur a tiny one second or something loading window with you guys? I can't remember this being a thing last version i played.

Yes, they added a little popup to show progress. Autosave always paused the game before, now it's just a little more clear about why it's paused (and for a long map, lets you know how long you might have to wait).

(it kind of annoys me when it interrupts a console command though, as it takes cursor focus away)

senae posted:

they only put 3 or 4 in, so that the first thing on the line doesn't take everything that comes down.

This is also true of assembling machines; inserters won't add ingredients if there are already a certain number of recipe's worth of input+output.

Furnaces won't load past a certain input level, but they ignore however many recipe's worth are in the output inventory.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Inserters won't fully load guns either, so in order to maintain longer attacks you have to have storage chests and fast inserters.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Kin posted:

Am i missing something?

On your first line, use a single burner inserter at the end of the line to secure operation if the coal runs out. With just electrical, you have to go insert coal yourself into a few boilers, but with a burner inserter, it will get it started for you with a trickle of power. You really just need one or two burners on the first generator line, not for every one. You can get the same effect with a solar panel, accumulator and a single electrical pole covering just the inserters, not connected to the rest of the power grid. I think it's shift click on a pole to remove all wires, then drag new using the copper wire item and clicking between lines you want to connect. A pole without wire will only hook up the things in it's area of influence.

What I am saying, is in my experience, having a automatic fail safe/restart if fuel stops on your boilers is a good idea.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I actually haven't had a power outage lead to my boilers running out of coal...yet. However, my power system is currently rather serpentine and distributed rather than well organized which may help account for the black-startability.

Also is stone the most annoying resource for everyone else too?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
IIRC, and I may be pulling these numbers out of my rear end: Things that use fuel get stocked to 5 units or 1/10th their total capacity. Not sure if it includes fuel being used or if it will be 5 units + buffer or 4 units + buffer. Assemblers and related buildings will hold enough material to make two units and the output will hold two units. Chemical plants, I think, will hold a max stack of sulfur. Liquid input holds up to ten or twenty units. Furnaces will hold up to a stack of input and output. Inserters will stuff roboports full of drones, and chests/cars/train cars will get stuffed full of cargo to fill, not sure if it maxes out fuel or just 5-10 units of stuff.

Not sure if i missed something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Greetings from the Spaceflight thread. Thanks for not letting me get more than 2 hours of sleep last night. :colbert:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Trabisnikof posted:

Also is stone the most annoying resource for everyone else too?

Yes - mostly because there's so little you can do with it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kenlon posted:

Until you're making thousands of walls everywhere, and then you can't find enough of it.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Boogalo posted:

Until you're making thousands of walls everywhere, and then you can't find enough of it.

I've never had problems, and my factories resemble Isengard more than anything else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kenlon posted:

Maybe I just got a crappy seed, but I spend more of my time building god drat stone miners than any other resource. They'll be 1-2k worth of stone per site. Which turns into not that many pieces of wall.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe I just got a crappy seed, but I spend more of my time building god drat stone miners than any other resource. They'll be 1-2k worth of stone per site. Which turns into not that many pieces of wall.

If you're really resource starved for something, you can use productivity modules in the miners and furnaces to get more stone brick per stone (as low as about 6.5 natural stone resource per wall with prod 3's).

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Shintaro posted:

If you're really resource starved for something, you can use productivity modules in the miners and furnaces to get more stone brick per stone (as low as about 6.5 natural stone resource per wall with prod 3's).

If you're using anything but Prod 3's in every single thing that will take them (other than oil pumps), you're doing it wrong. :colbert: Free items are the best items.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kenlon posted:

If you're using anything but Prod 3's in every single thing that will take them (other than oil pumps), you're doing it wrong. :colbert: Free items are the best items.

I'm still on my first play through and going for the "efficiency? What's that?" Shtick has been pretty fun, but I've finally started rebuilding efficient designs. I'm digging my massively scalable oil refinery system.

Also I know solar is less resource constrained, but darn it if I don't enjoy needlessly burning more coal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ikanreed posted:

It's designed for CRTs, which can tear, unlike flatscreens.

:confused: Flatscreens can and do tear, it happens when a new framebuffer is written while it's still rastering the old one to the screen -- there's no electron gun, but it still takes time to transmit the entire frame to the screen down that DVI cable. The end result is that you get part of the screen showing the old frame and part of it showing the new frame in the same refresh cycle.

:aaaaa:

Between this and KSP I'm feeling pretty good about my early access choices.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I love the artstyle of the building in this game. It reminds me so much of Outlive, a super old RTS I played when I was young.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I haven't felt the need to build walls at all since the introduction of spitters.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Nrrrrgh. Hello also from the Spaceflight thread. Thanks to this, I lost an entire day and am about to lose most of another. I finished the "campaign" though and was incredibly proud of myself for fully automating red/green science pack production and distribution to 3 science labs, with an overstock depending on the length of research to stock like five more.

I hopped into the Freeplay mode and unlocked all the tech, looked it over, then immediately decided that I am building the most loving huge factory to get all of it the long way.

Please send help.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

DelphiAegis posted:

Nrrrrgh. Hello also from the Spaceflight thread. Thanks to this, I lost an entire day and am about to lose most of another. I finished the "campaign" though and was incredibly proud of myself for fully automating red/green science pack production and distribution to 3 science labs, with an overstock depending on the length of research to stock like five more.

I hopped into the Freeplay mode and unlocked all the tech, looked it over, then immediately decided that I am building the most loving huge factory to get all of it the long way.

Please send help.

You sound just fine. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is it normal to feel this accomplished when you come up with a clever way to make a factory one tile smaller?

(Please add 90 degree angled inserters tia.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you did, you would really enjoy Infinifactory which is ALL about that sort of thing.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Is it normal to feel this accomplished when you come up with a clever way to make a factory one tile smaller?

(Please add 90 degree angled inserters tia.)

There's at least one mod that allows that, MoarInserters I think it was named. You can make a wrench that adjusts the orientation of the arm 90 degrees at a time.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I can think of about eleven billion different ways I could miniaturize my designs if the inserters could pull from the north and output East or West (Or both! Or all three!) but at that point I'd also ask for the ability to have pipes next to each other and have a rotation toggle to force them not to connect to one another.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's mods that do the pipe thing too. It basically makes 3 kinds of pipes that are identical except they don't merge with each other.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
It's called Clean Pipes

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
After spending nearly 30 hours on a single map, I cannot wait for release. I looked at the requirements for actually crafting the rocket defense and said Nope.

Meanwhile, I have about 30 pumpjacks that are all tapped out and zero coal anywhere. So my massive powerplant of steam engines is running on solid fuel which is barely keeping up. I have zero heavy/light oil going towards anything but solid fuel, and even swapped over some petroleum gas to solid fuel production just to keep up with the energy demands. Which are admittedly significantly less now that I'm not being constantly attacked because I run 90% faster and can murder a biter spawner in 5 rockets.

This is a fantastic game to help you think though. "Why aren't I making blue packs? Oh, it's because I don't have smart inserters. Because fast inserters aren't being made. Because regular inserters aren't being made, because they're out of iron, because it's being used up too quickly by my circuit productions which I ramped up recently because the loving rocket defense takes eleven billion loving red/blue circuits. gently caress." I now know how programmers feel fixing a bug and supporting legacy code (factories).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DelphiAegis posted:

After spending nearly 30 hours on a single map, I cannot wait for release. I looked at the requirements for actually crafting the rocket defense and said Nope.

Meanwhile, I have about 30 pumpjacks that are all tapped out and zero coal anywhere. So my massive powerplant of steam engines is running on solid fuel which is barely keeping up. I have zero heavy/light oil going towards anything but solid fuel, and even swapped over some petroleum gas to solid fuel production just to keep up with the energy demands. Which are admittedly significantly less now that I'm not being constantly attacked because I run 90% faster and can murder a biter spawner in 5 rockets.

This is a fantastic game to help you think though. "Why aren't I making blue packs? Oh, it's because I don't have smart inserters. Because fast inserters aren't being made. Because regular inserters aren't being made, because they're out of iron, because it's being used up too quickly by my circuit productions which I ramped up recently because the loving rocket defense takes eleven billion loving red/blue circuits. gently caress." I now know how programmers feel fixing a bug and supporting legacy code (factories).

Assuming you don't think that it's "cheating", you should have a goal at the mid stage to transition to solar power plus batteries, with a steam backup for when that goes out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DelphiAegis posted:

I now know how programmers feel fixing a bug and supporting legacy code (factories).

Refactorio: Where the score is in WTF/minute.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

DelphiAegis posted:

I now know how programmers feel fixing a bug and supporting legacy code (factories).

This is the reason I love Factorio - as a sysadmin, there's never time to tear things up and re-do them, but in Factorio I can always pay off my technical (design?) debt.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Oh, once I had my first major brownout after the switchover to solid fuel, I linked all the water pipes for the steam engines, then made a hundred or so solar panels to take up a lot of the slack. I just recently installed over 160 capacitors and I have like 1.2 GJ of reserve, I just need to find a place to put my second massive solar farm.

I look forward to when I finish all of the research though, THAT is when you do a teardown of your lab/science production and convert everything over to red/blue circuit production 24/7 to "finish" the game. Does finally placing the rocket defense item do anything? Does it say "Good job"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Assuming you don't think that it's "cheating", you should have a goal at the mid stage to transition to solar power plus batteries, with a steam backup for when that goes out.

Yeah I don't think its cheating but there is something pleasurable about pumping out a ton of pollution. Besides, coal is basically worthless (besides plastics) if you don't burn it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It's worth noting that it's better to crack your heavy oil before turning it into fuel, than it is to go straight heavy->fuel :eng101:

Also with coal being "worthless except for plastic" you haven't tried to get 4+ modules a minute. That's a shitload of plastic and thus coal. Also poison caps which are great.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Coal is fantastically useful for poison capsules for clearing out large sections of medium/heavy worms that would otherwise eat into your rocket supply. It's also way more useful as rockets, come to think of it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logic system. I've got a fleet of logistics robots supplying the fractured nature of how my factory sprawled. I assume that if I add other robot ports, that extends the range of said robots as long as they are connected by that line, right? Meanwhile, I have no loving clue how the red/blue wire logic conditions work, and removing a pole with a colored wire on it makes you lose the wire. At least it's cheap, but still. I can't find a decent use for an active provider chests yet, just the passives.