Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Any recommendation on one of the many cybernetics mods? I'd like to be able to make something more than a pegleg ya know?

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Ever since I started using a few mods, this game got even better.

- PrisonImprovements

These are awesome.

This one doesn't seen to have a download link any idea whats up with that?

e; Jeez are you guys really arguing over a clear buggy age generation? Beyond some wonky cloning or something your bio age isn't going to slip last your chronological age in any scenario. You still gonna age at 99.999c, it ain't gonna go backwards.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gibbo posted:

The Hafele and Keating experiment involved flying planes around the world with atomic clocks on board. Upon the trips completion the clocks were compared to a static, ground based atomic clock. It was found that 273+/-7 nanoseconds had been gained on the planes' clocks.[7] The current human time travel record is about 20 milliseconds for the cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev.[8]

Being awake at FTL would mean you're gaining time on the Grounded chrono. IE you'd be "alive" longer biologically than chronologically on your home planet.

Wouldn't you be alive for *less* time relativistically than , non relativistically. (I guess we're using "biologically" as "from the astronauts perspective" right?)

Re FTL: Yes theres no FTL in this universe (Or at least humans dont got it) however you'd have to assume ships are traveling at some very high fraction of C to make space travel even remotely plausible (Likely via the "Accelerate perpetually at 1G until your half way there, then decelerate perpetually at 1G all the way back" trick that gets you pretty close to F within a few years and gives the astronauts something resembling gravity the whole journey). So there *will* be relativistic affects that make the astronauts feel like their journey wasnt' nearly as long as it would seem from stationary frames of reference.

quote:

At a non ftl speed, by the time a ship capable of interstellar travel and bearing cryo frozen passengers arrived, the launch civilization would likely either have a) developed actual FTL or b) gone extinct.

FTL probably is not going to be a thing. I mean hey we're all hoping right, but its not looking good physics wise.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 22, 2015

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is it possible to update from an 8.x alpha to the current 9 wiithout losing save game? I can't seem to see my old world? Is it incompatible?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

duck monster posted:

Is it possible to update from an 8.x alpha to the current 9 wiithout losing save game? I can't seem to see my old world? Is it incompatible?

I don't think its backwards compatible. I don't see anything in the mods forum to update saves and I'm not sure its possible.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

you'd have to assume ships are traveling at some very high fraction of C

You need a lot more than a high fraction of light speed, you need many times the speed of light (perhaps thousands) to have a linked interstellar society. It's not that far to Alpha Centauri, but once we start talking multiple systems which is the basis of pretty much every sci-fi that uses FTL in this way.. even 10x the speed of light is not going to cut it.

duck monster posted:

FTL probably is not going to be a thing.

Good to know, I'll let the science community know. We're just getting to the stage now where we are starting to understand and realize perhaps things don't exactly work as we thought they do.

See dark matter/quantum physics/evolving black hole theory/other stuff that is more obscure and not reported in mass media and doesn't mean anything to people not working with it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
With how long it'd take to even get to even the closest of star systems, the idea of trade existing between them is honestly pretty ludicrous. You have to go into cryptosleep for hundreds of years, leaving behind anyone who didn't come with you forever because in the hundreds upon hundreds of years it'd take for a round trip they'd be long, long, LONG dead. Unless it turns out that glitterworlds have functioning immortality in which case you better hope your friends are rich. But if you live on a glitterworld and can afford a ship, why bother loving off to bumfuck nowhere to trade with some dirt scrabbling peasants?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Slime posted:

With how long it'd take to even get to even the closest of star systems, the idea of trade existing between them is honestly pretty ludicrous. You have to go into cryptosleep for hundreds of years, leaving behind anyone who didn't come with you forever because in the hundreds upon hundreds of years it'd take for a round trip they'd be long, long, LONG dead. Unless it turns out that glitterworlds have functioning immortality in which case you better hope your friends are rich. But if you live on a glitterworld and can afford a ship, why bother loving off to bumfuck nowhere to trade with some dirt scrabbling peasants?

Have you seen the prices those guys charge to us dirt-scrabbling peasants? Somebody's making a killing out there.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

You need a lot more than a high fraction of light speed, you need many times the speed of light (perhaps thousands) to have a linked interstellar society. It's not that far to Alpha Centauri, but once we start talking multiple systems which is the basis of pretty much every sci-fi that uses FTL in this way.. even 10x the speed of light is not going to cut it.
We already had "unlinked" societies in our history back before the mail system. The old empires basically just sent regional govenors to deal with the time lag in trying to micromanage poo poo from rome/buckingham palace/whatever.

quote:

Good to know, I'll let the science community know. We're just getting to the stage now where we are starting to understand and realize perhaps things don't exactly work as we thought they do.

See dark matter/quantum physics/evolving black hole theory/other stuff that is more obscure and not reported in mass media and doesn't mean anything to people not working with it.
I'll be specific. We aren't going to ever go faster than light. Physics just won't let us have an FTL

With that said a warp drives a different concept to an TFL and theres a very small chance that the Alcurberie equasions might lead to a breakthrough but even amongst the more optimistic physicists theres a lot of reservation about the idea of warp bubbles which provide a loophole. But it still has a couple of major if's associated with it. Firstly we have no idea if its possible to guide it once we've hit c because at the boundaries it requires violations of relativity that don't seem possible. Secondly the whole thing relies on unobtanium in the form of negative mass matter.

That might be impossible. And if it is, it looks like we're back to square 1. Possible permanently.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the squeamishness about modelling sex organs in game; I can see why people would be skeptical, but consider that the Fallout series was only weakened by removing the ability to kick raiders in the dick.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there some way to manufacture guns? Or am I stuck with manufacturing bows and longswords?

duck monster posted:

We already had "unlinked" societies in our history back before the mail system. The old empires basically just sent regional govenors to deal with the time lag in trying to micromanage poo poo from rome/buckingham palace/whatever.

Yeah, but that's weeks or months of time lag, not decades of time lag. You'd have to appoint a governing family or you'd have to let your governor appoint his successor (which could well be the same thing), or you'd have to just keep sending governors basically at random while having no idea what the situation on the colony is.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've been playing this a good bit over the past couple of days. I am still struggling to find a good defensive setup. Right now my entranceway looks like this, but I feel like it could be designed better.

When one turret explodes, it damages the next one a lot, which means that once one goes down, the other start going down without much work. They also start blowing apart the steel wall, which doesn't help.

The fact that solar panels don't block wind turbines is nice, and lets you make power blocks like this.

I feel like I have a better grasp on what sort of colonists to bring now. For the most part, I like ones in their 20s or 30s who aren't incapable of anything and have a reasonable spread of interests. I feel like for pretty much everything but doctoring, potential is more important than their skill level right at the start. Some of the skills raise pretty quickly.

I've found that fires are quite dangerous. A lightning strike outside in the right conditions can cause a lot of problems. Faulty wiring random events can cause big fires that are quite dangerous. The last time it happened was about 10 seconds before a big raider attack. Thankfully, they were weak raiders, and seemed content to plink at my inactive turrets while I plinked at them.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 22, 2015

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Synnr posted:

This one doesn't seen to have a download link any idea whats up with that?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10069.0

Bottom of the first post, under known bugs. It's an attachment, rather than a link, so you might have to be logged in.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've been playing this a good bit over the past couple of days. I am still struggling to find a good defensive setup. Right now my entranceway looks like this, but I feel like it could be designed better.

When one turret explodes, it damages the next one a lot, which means that once one goes down, the other start going down without much work. They also start blowing apart the steel wall, which doesn't help.

Put little 1x1 wall segments in between your turrets, and set your back wall at least 3 spaces back from your turrets. Turrets explode in a 7x7 radius centered on the turret. It's also a good idea to have a really redundant network of power lines snaking around your killbox, so that you don't start losing power all over when one of your turrets goes.

I dunno how I feel about all of the sandbags, but in terms of wall placement you want something like this:

quote:

I feel like I have a better grasp on what sort of colonists to bring now. For the most part, I like ones in their 20s or 30s who aren't incapable of anything and have a reasonable spread of interests. I feel like for pretty much everything but doctoring, potential is more important than their skill level right at the start. Some of the skills raise pretty quickly.

This is very true. For anything that your colonists do reasonably often (growing, mining, constructing, etc.), you're way better off with a burning interest in it than starting off with high points.

In addition to doctoring, though, it's nice to have a high initial score in shooting and social. Those don't raise particularly quickly.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 22, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

duck monster posted:

(FTL/Warp) might be impossible. And if it is, it looks like we're back to square 1. Possible permanently.

Creating an artificial semi-sustainable biosphere would render it mostly moot for purposes of survivability. I'm good with the idea of generation ships and/or cryosleep, though the former requires there to be no decay in crew proficiency over the course of many generations and the latter requires systems that will operate without maintenance in a hostile environment for millenia. As for trading ships... yeah, that only really works in-system. Although if you could find a system with several habitable planets/moons it could still be a thing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

In addition to doctoring, though, it's nice to have a high initial score in shooting and social. Those don't raise particularly quickly.
Yeah, I've found having at least one good shooter is nice. A lot of the pirates I seem to injure and recruit are decent shots too though. I feel like shooting is something I can get more of.

I am starting a new game now. This is the kind of guy I like.

He has a spread of useful interests. Good at growing, shooting, and medicine. Reasonably young, and no health problems. Positive traits. I would take guys like this all day.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 22, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Eh, it's not ideal to have your doctor be a fighter. I guess if your other two are also good and it's a do-or-die situation, but otherwise there's too much chance of him taking a bullet and you having no one to heal him up.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Filthy Monkey posted:

In addition to what the guy said before me, build your walls out of something stronger than steel. I'm pretty sure all types of stone block are hardier.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Pussy Snorkel posted:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10069.0

Bottom of the first post, under known bugs. It's an attachment, rather than a link, so you might have to be logged in.

Oh god I hate that poo poo. Thank you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Monkey posted:

The fact that solar panels don't block wind turbines is nice, and lets you make power blocks like this.

you're gonna have fun when one of those inacessible power things catches fire

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tony Montana posted:

There is no loving FTL. It's explicitly stated numerous times and there was stuff in the OP you could read about it. It's the reason there is a RIMWORLD at all, technology and humanity does not spread throughout the galaxy with homogeneity because of the vast distances and TIME separating civilizations.

That's why you build a colony and survive on your own. There is no FTL communications or rescue possible.

You sperg out about the details but it sounds like you haven't even read the simple sci-fi primer on the universe that has been around for ever. It's still in the OP and it's still as clear as ever.

You build a spaceship capable of interstellar travel and perhaps thousands of years of autonomous operation from scrap, by the hands of three shipwrecks and various pirates and villagers you pick up along the way.

I'd suggest the sci-fi thread in the books forum if you actually want to stretch your brain a bit.

:spergin:

Sorry I didn't read the :airquote: backstory about a pre-release :airquote: videogame

Next you're going to gripe that people didn't read the 45page novella at the beginning of the MoO3 manual.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Opal posted:

In addition to what the guy said before me, build your walls out of something stronger than steel. I'm pretty sure all types of stone block are hardier.

Start with wood and then upgrade to stone is the path I usually take.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So if I got my dude crafting something (in this case, armor from a mod) and:

1. I can't find the helmet he actually finished. I didn't SEE him finish it.
2. He doesn't seem to ever actually finish making the armor, but continues crafting while starving and exhausted

Is this indicative of anything in particular? He makes the synththread and cybernetics just fine, but I dunno if 14 just isn't sufficient to cut down craft time or something or what.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Synnr posted:

So if I got my dude crafting something (in this case, armor from a mod) and:

1. I can't find the helmet he actually finished. I didn't SEE him finish it.
2. He doesn't seem to ever actually finish making the armor, but continues crafting while starving and exhausted

Is this indicative of anything in particular? He makes the synththread and cybernetics just fine, but I dunno if 14 just isn't sufficient to cut down craft time or something or what.

Sounds like issues with the mod.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Gibbo posted:

:spergin:

Sorry I didn't read the :airquote: backstory about a pre-release :airquote: videogame

Next you're going to gripe that people didn't read the 45page novella at the beginning of the MoO3 manual.

I read all of the MoO3 manual.

It was better than the game at least.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Sounds like issues with the mod.

Do many mods actually make a little item to show work needed, like the stock game does? Its more like cooking in this case, where the ingredients just sit on the bench and I dunno if his work is just going nowhere or what. Looking at the xml file they all have 25000 work required and I have no clue how to transfer that into work time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is this the kind of early access game that's worth buying early, or should I wait until it's released? For reference I played Dwarf Fortress obsessively for ages and then got sick of how convoluted and buggy it was and haven't touched it in over a year.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is this the kind of early access game that's worth buying early, or should I wait until it's released? For reference I played Dwarf Fortress obsessively for ages and then got sick of how convoluted and buggy it was and haven't touched it in over a year.

It's really perfectly playable right now, despite being an ~early access~ game. The mods make it even better, too.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
It's probably the best early-access game I've played, and definitely a lot more playable than Dwarf Fortress (it actually has a proper interface). The overall content is a bit low, but the developer releases new builds every few months or so with a bunch of new stuff (booze was just added). Also, the modding community is very active and that helps flesh out the game a lot.

Note that you can track the dev's progress with the game here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub As you can see, he's pretty dedicated.

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there some way to manufacture guns? Or am I stuck with manufacturing bows and longswords?

You can't make guns in vanilla, though naturally there have been a number of mods that add it (not sure if there are any for alpha 9 yet, though). In the past this wasn't much of an issue, since you'd soon be swimming in guns after a few pirate raids, but now that guns have a quality rating, finding decent working pieces has become a lot harder. If he doesn't add the ability to make guns, at the very least I hope Tynan adds some kind of repair workshop at some point so that you can maintain them.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 23, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Blisster posted:

I read all of the MoO3 manual.

It was better than the game at least.

So did I actually, that's why I know about it.

And it really was better than the actual game. There was only so much the modders could do. :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the only reason not to buy it now is if you're worried you might burn out and get tired of it before it's fully done. it's good and fun as is

kind of like starbound, except the content in this game stays fresh and interesting and challenging

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's a pretty fun game at the moment, if you think what you see is worth the money then you can get it, if you aren't sure then hold off.

As early access goes its problems are not bugs, but a lack of content scope. There's enough content in the game for it to be fun, but it would benefit from more of it. Everything that's in it works, but not everything is in it yet.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

kind of like starbound, except the content in this game stays fresh and interesting and challenging

Also this game actually updates.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Filthy Monkey posted:

You really don't want them touching like that, you should have a one block gap around every solar panel for fire-fighting/repairs otherwise one lightning strike/rocket/nade to a central panel will start a fire that can't be reached to be put out and will just consume your entire power plant.

Also don't use steel for walls, It's weaker than stone and you're going to need it elsewhere.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Granite walls are nearly 3x as strong as steel walls, ( 225 vs 610 HP) and they're even fireproof! ( 0% flammable, vs 20% for steel. ) So raiders setting a tiny fire won't rip a hole in your wall.

I really hope that the next update lets pawns change their clothes / have a closet / repair their clothing, it's kind of tedious hopping from person to person to see if their gear is still good or not.

( Once clothing hits 30-40% durability they start giving your pawns a negative mood debuff, they also lose heat/cold insulation. )

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was wondering why my steel walls seemed to be burning.

Granite being fireproof makes me want to encase risky flammable things inside individual granite prisons. Each battery can have its own little tomb. Put some granite walls around farm plots, or around power generation. Fire has been pretty dangerous to me so far, playing in forest areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can achieve the same result with concrete flooring, it functions as a good firebreak.

What burns is the small plants which grow on most natural surfaces, not the actual surfaces themselves.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

SubNat posted:

I really hope that the next update lets pawns change their clothes / have a closet / repair their clothing, it's kind of tedious hopping from person to person to see if their gear is still good or not.

( Once clothing hits 30-40% durability they start giving your pawns a negative mood debuff, they also lose heat/cold insulation. )

I really want this. And some sort of military management screen where I can assign weapons and armour that colonists will automatically grab when drafted. It's a huge pain switching weapons and armour around right now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I just had a trader visit me called "White Human Import Company".

Yes, they were slave traders. You're going to have to be a bit more subtle than that, guys.

Also, in a now-abandoned settlement my chief surgeon and chief artist made a sculpture of her "elbows deep" into another settler she gave a lung transplant to. The description later went on to say the sculpture had "erotic overtones". :gonk:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hm, I thought it was because of some mod conflict.

But I can't find the fertilizer pump in the research projects, or buildings. Am I just horrible at finding things, or has the pump been removed?

e: Aw, the fertilizer pump has been removed. :smith:
A pity, that was the only way to make marshlands buildable, so Tundra/Boreal Forest biomes are a bit more annoying now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Not a huge fan of the new update. As has been mentioned, deterioration is tedious and annoying to keep track of. I like how it increases the difficulty since you can't immediately flip the gear of attackers for huge profit, but there really needs to be some sort of gear management system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Bold Robot posted:

Not a huge fan of the new update. As has been mentioned, deterioration is tedious and annoying to keep track of. I like how it increases the difficulty since you can't immediately flip the gear of attackers for huge profit, but there really needs to be some sort of gear management system.

Yeah I can't say I'm a huge fan of deterioration. Is there a way to prevent it? Some kind of storage?