Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

There's obviously a difference between joking around and doing your pre written material. If he wants to do his stand up routine then do a set before or after the interview. Comedians do proper stand up on talk shows all the time why do it from the chair and disguise it as honest conversation?

Honest conversation? Everybody does prewritten material on talk shows. EVERYBODY. Nobody goes on Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon or whomever without a pre-approved list of five to ten stories they're going to tell. The only difference between Drew Barrymore telling some dumb story about her kid and Aziz doing his comedy is that you've heard Aziz's comedy before. But both are equally scripted and planned, and both are prompted by a leading question from the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's just feels different and is different. I had never heard Kevin (not going to bother looking up his real name) do his stand up before but it was obvious he was doing bits. I'd be fine with him doing his set and then sitting down and answering the hosts pre approved questions about working on The League or whatever.

Comedians doing a formal set is a staple of late night talk. No reason not to do it that way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timett posted:

It's just feels different and is different. I had never heard Kevin (not going to bother looking up his real name) do his stand up before but it was obvious he was doing bits. I'd be fine with him doing his set and then sitting down and answering the hosts pre approved questions about working on The League or whatever.

Comedians doing a formal set is a staple of late night talk. No reason not to do it that way.

Comedians do it that way all the time. They also just do their bits with the host sometimes. Louis CK does it.

Sure, it'd be nice if they just hosed around--Norm MacDonald feels like he strays from what they planned to talk about a lot--but it's late night talk shows. It's a promotional tool basically. Weird thing to be bothered by.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Authenticity is important, this is why I only listen to indie talk shows.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

The hosts ask them to do this, nitwit.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I really don't get why anybody in this thread is defending the lovely, stiff pre-set style of interview just because it's prevalent in late night shows.

Even in the Late Night thread, the consensus has generally been that it's not great. And that Craig Ferguson's interview style was a lot better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

thexerox123 posted:

I really don't get why anybody in this thread is defending the lovely, stiff pre-set style of interview just because it's prevalent in late night shows.

Even in the Late Night thread, the consensus has generally been that it's not great. And that Craig Ferguson's interview style was a lot better.

Nobody is defending it. They're pointing out that its not just something comedians do.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Nobody's defending it, just pointing out how stupid it is to complain that the hour-long entertainment products infomercial you decided to watch isn't spontaneous enough.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nobody's defending it, just pointing out how stupid it is to complain that the hour-long entertainment products infomercial you decided to watch isn't spontaneous enough.

Why? As I said, Craig Ferguson managed to be spontaneous in the late-night format. It's not impossible. And many comedians manage to go on other late-night shows without sounding like they're doing pre-written bits.

Saying that it's dumb to complain about is not really different from defending it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 22, 2015

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's not like Aziz uses his massive sway in the industry to just be like "no gently caress you Jimmy Fallon you can make Taylor Swift close out the show because I'm doing my poo poo in that juicy second interview slot"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Why? As I said, Craig Ferguson managed to be spontaneous in the late-night format. It's not impossible. And many comedians manage to go on other late-night shows without sounding like they're doing pre-written bits.

Saying that it's dumb to complain about is not really different from defending it.

We're calling you dumb for being surprised by it, which you only are because you apparently don't recognize marketing until it's really, really obvious. If you actually thought it was indefensible you wouldn't watch. You're the guy who complains about commercial breaks but watches the Superbowl "for the ads."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

We're calling you dumb for being surprised by it, which you only are because you apparently don't recognize marketing until it's really, really obvious. If you actually thought it was indefensible you wouldn't watch. You're the guy who complains about commercial breaks but watches the Superbowl "for the ads."

I'm not surprised by it, never implied that I was. Maybe you're mistaking me for another poster?

Or you're just jumping to dumb conclusions.

Also, I mostly did just watch Craig Ferguson when he was still on, so I don't know what you're going on about with the "if you thought it was indefensible you wouldn't watch" part. And you can find things annoying/lame without going so far as to think they're indefensible.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't watch late night anymore and wasn't surprised by anything... Just didn't like it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Honest conversation? Everybody does prewritten material on talk shows. EVERYBODY. Nobody goes on Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon or whomever without a pre-approved list of five to ten stories they're going to tell. The only difference between Drew Barrymore telling some dumb story about her kid and Aziz doing his comedy is that you've heard Aziz's comedy before. But both are equally scripted and planned, and both are prompted by a leading question from the host.

It is a bit weird that he actually uses material from his bits as conversation though. I think most comedians will write a new to joke to try and pass of as on the fly talk show banter.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

And you can find things annoying/lame without going so far as to think they're indefensible.

Apparently not since

thexerox123 posted:

If one is true so is the opposite.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

People were specifically targeting Aziz, so others pointed out that it is a problem with the format as a whole. How the holy hell is that "defending" it? They are just saying it doesn't reflect poorly on Aziz himself.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Esquire Network has been running a marathon of every Parks & Rec episode this weekend. I've lost most of my Sunday to season 4 and the council campaign.

I'm really going to miss this show when it's over, but the reruns are almost as good.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Nemo posted:

Esquire Network has been running a marathon of every Parks & Rec episode this weekend. I've lost most of my Sunday to season 4 and the council campaign.

I'm really going to miss this show when it's over, but the reruns are almost as good.

In honor of good memories, here is the greatest scene in Parks and Rec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nojC6fP56VI

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Windows 98 posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this (and the continuation with Pistol Pete) was the best/funniest scene in the show's history, and that's saying a lot. I'd go so far as to say it's the funniest scene in sitcom history. It was the thing that made me fall in love with the show and start watching it. Everything's so perfect about it. Thanks for making it happen, Gloria Estefan.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Oh man, that sucks about Harris Wittels. I listened to most of the You Made It Weird show with him on it (the one linked before) a while ago, and I've been meaning to go back and finish. The last part I remember is him talking about how he got out of rehab and then relapsed immediately. I think he was possibly going back? It's going to be pretty weird listening to the rest of it now

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this (and the continuation with Pistol Pete) was the best/funniest scene in the show's history, and that's saying a lot. I'd go so far as to say it's the funniest scene in sitcom history. It was the thing that made me fall in love with the show and start watching it. Everything's so perfect about it. Thanks for making it happen, Gloria Estefan.

I don't think anything has gotten a rise out of me quite the same way "STOP. POOPING." did. But that barely counted as a scene.

edit: It reminds me that Sepinwall and Linda Holmes had a twitter back and forth posting P&R clips with the understanding that whoever posted the "STOP. POOPING." scene loses.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 23, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

myron cope posted:

Oh man, that sucks about Harris Wittels. I listened to most of the You Made It Weird show with him on it (the one linked before) a while ago, and I've been meaning to go back and finish. The last part I remember is him talking about how he got out of rehab and then relapsed immediately. I think he was possibly going back? It's going to be pretty weird listening to the rest of it now

He relapsed after the first place and then went to the 2nd quainter place which helped more

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Windows 98 posted:

I'm rather fond of this one from Hunting Trip. "You talking to me, bitch?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXegwmGmmI

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I am way too fond of Batman crying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipmbqdK15Ec

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

He relapsed after the first place and then went to the 2nd quainter place which helped more

I am glad he was able to find effective treatment and overcome his addiction. Its so rare that you get to hear a story like that with a happy ending.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nonbaka posted:

I'm rather fond of this one from Hunting Trip. "You talking to me, bitch?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXegwmGmmI

This episode was when the show finally clicked with me.

Also lol if you watch any late night talk shows.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhohRXn_LY

This is probably my favourite moment in the show. The presence of a little mini-horse is so powerful even Ron and April completely break character they're so overcome with emotion at getting to meet him, he's like the David Attenborough of the animal world

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
i thought Li'l Sebastian might be a reference to Lil Bub, but Bub postdates that tiny horse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pope Guilty posted:

i thought Li'l Sebastian might be a reference to Lil Bub, but Bub postdates that tiny horse.

I don't get it. At all. It's kind of a small cat, I mean what am I missing? Am I crazy?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For real I think Lil' Bub is kind of creepy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Guilty posted:

In one of the interviews Michael Schur did with Alan Sepinwall, he mentions that some of the small towns they visited for research actually have odd animals like a tiny horse or a two-headed cow that are treated like local celebrities and make appearances at grand openings, fairs, etc.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
"It says here you have "Network Con-neck-tivity Error"."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of which, Sepinwall wrote a thing about what the show did and it's pretty good: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-parks-and-recreation-found-all-time-greatness-in-simple-goodness

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

A Steampunk Gent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhohRXn_LY

This is probably my favourite moment in the show. The presence of a little mini-horse is so powerful even Ron and April completely break character they're so overcome with emotion at getting to meet him, he's like the David Attenborough of the animal world

For me Ron reacting to Lil' Sebastian's death a few episodes later is my favorite. "I saw the flag at half mast and said to myself 'Oh boy another bureaucratic parasite died' Then I found out it was for Lil Sebastian, THAT FLAG IS TOO HIGH, SHOW SOME RESPECT:qq:"

Probably butchered but that scene isn't on youtube from where I looked

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

suddenlyissoon posted:

"It says here you have "Network Con-neck-tivity Error"."

We were watching that episode last night. That is definitely one of my favorite lines, and one of my favorite episodes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Awesome Animals posted:

We were watching that episode last night. That is definitely one of my favorite lines, and one of my favorite episodes.

And it was ad-libbed. Chris Pratt is amazing.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Fateo McMurray posted:

And it was ad-libbed. Chris Pratt is amazing.

My other favorite Chris Pratt moment from that episode is when he pulls out the drawer, looks at Ron, and says "This came out", with a completely guilty look on his face.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What episode is it? I have 30 minutes for lunch... :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

old dog child posted:

What episode is it? I have 30 minutes for lunch... :)

Flu season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Flu season

The best drat episode. Had everything.

• Locked thread