Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iSheep posted:

Awesome, I'm a bit flustered with all this at the moment, do you have a link for the 64 bit version?

Yeah, this is the official Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64 link: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lovely, thank you.

EDIT: lmao I try once and the download fails pretty quick, and then I try again and it directs me to the "file not found" page.

Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

iSheep posted:

Lovely, thank you.

EDIT: lmao I try once and the download fails pretty quick, and then I try again and it directs me to the "file not found" page.

Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

I'm downloading it now to try it out for you - I'm 200MB with 20 minutes to go (it's only going at 2.2MB/s). Did your download fail before this? You may have something else stopping you being able to grab it.

Edit: Download done - I mounted the image using Windows 8.1's built-in feature, and it opens up normally. I won't get any further with it but it seems to work for me.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 16, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried it on Chrome and Firefox (and Firefox Nightly), stops at about 200 MB. I've seen some other people report this happening too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

iSheep posted:

Tried it on Chrome and Firefox (and Firefox Nightly), stops at about 200 MB. I've seen some other people report this happening too.

Could be Adblock Plus if you're using it. I've changed to uBlock and had no problems.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nope, I'm on uBlock, even disabled it. Just tried IE too and no go.

Have some IRC folk saying that they have failed downloads as well.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Just downloaded it at 3-3.5 MB/s with no issues through Firefox and it mounted fine. I've downloaded a bunch of different isos over the years from there and I've never had any issues with them failing. Very odd.

edit - File not found in IE, now when I click the link in Firefox it goes to File Not Found.

edit edit - seems to be working in vanilla Chrome at the moment.

edit edit edit - now file not found in every browser

deleted all cookies in chrome and it started back up. They're being jerks.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 17, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Could be a glitch - keep in mind that ISPs routinely mirror things that bring in a lot of traffic a lot of the time, and Digital River certainly qualifies. If they screw it up or a bit gets flipped or something at the edge cache for your area, it's going to screw up the download for everyone in your area for at least a few hours.

Also is this the only place you've had trouble downloading things?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was suspecting maybe Comcast was loving something up. But I have managed to complete downloads from other websites.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Could be a glitch - keep in mind that ISPs routinely mirror things that bring in a lot of traffic a lot of the time, and Digital River certainly qualifies. If they screw it up or a bit gets flipped or something at the edge cache for your area, it's going to screw up the download for everyone in your area for at least a few hours.

Also is this the only place you've had trouble downloading things?

No, it was redirecting to a Microsoft site. I'm guessing they're making sure you're not downloading it too often or something?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
Does this not work? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery.

i.e. the link from the 404 page that tells you how to download Windows 7.

Fake edit: I just tried it, unsurprisingly entering an OEM key does not work.

quote:

Unsupported Product

The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I couldn't download an iso either, had to get it from less legit sources.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I couldn't download an iso either, had to get it from less legit sources.

Does anyone want me to put the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO on my OneDrive and share it or anything? I think it can be used to install even with an OEM key.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
One could download a torrent and verify the SHA1* against the one Microsoft publishes. It's hardly :filez: because you still need a licence to install.

At least they've finally fixed this problem with Windows 8.

* Doing this is very, very important.

Edit: the link to the MSDN info I posted was for a hotfixed ISO so the hash is different from the originally released image that would be more easily available from Places.

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 17, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I hope asking this isn't considered :filez:, but I have a 7zip file that I password protected but forgot the password. Do I have any options besides extremely sketchy-looking software?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mak0rz posted:

I hope asking this isn't considered :filez:, but I have a 7zip file that I password protected but forgot the password. Do I have any options besides extremely sketchy-looking software?

No not really, unless you want to use a cracker tool and have it sit there for days/years if you used a decent password.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gyshall posted:

No not really, unless you want to use a cracker tool and have it sit there for days/years if you used a decent password.

Oh well. Thankfully it wasn't urgent/important (I'd be sure to record the password somewhere if that were the case), just last year's tax info that I don't want to manually re-enter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
This might be a better fit for one of the audio threads, but I thought I'd try here first.

My PC is connected to the monitor with HDMI (I'll call this A). It is also connected to my main receiver/TV with a second HDMI (B). I have the desktop extended onto this display, though it isn't visible a lot of the time because the TV is off or the receiver is set to a different input. I also have the PC connected to my old receiver at my desk, just for audio, also over HDMI (C). The desktop is also extended onto this "display", but there isn't actually a display.

So, this leaves me with a bunch of unused extended desktop, that mostly acts as a mouse cursor trap. It would be great if I could use C for audio, but not have the desktop include it at all. As best I can tell, this is impossible in Windows. Is it really? I used optical for awhile, but I would prefer to use HDMI if possible.

It would also be nice if I could disable the B part of the desktop when I'm not using it. Is there a quick way to do that? Or possibly a way to have two non-virtual "virtual desktops"? Or a way to disable the mouse cursor passing between displays?

I have a GTX 970 and the Intel on-board video. I've tried putting C on both, but neither has any options that seem like it would get it working without extended the desktop.

I can't run the monitor video through C because that receiver won't work with resolutions higher than 1080p.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm not at home to check, but DisplayFusion might support some stuff you want? I have dual monitors and use DF to create a hotkey that lets me lock my mouse pointer to my main monitor when I'm gaming (if the game is the sort that lets my cursor go off-screen.) Maybe the tool also lets you block it from entering a particular monitor, but I've honestly no idea.

Mak0rz posted:

Oh well. Thankfully it wasn't urgent/important (I'd be sure to record the password somewhere if that were the case), just last year's tax info that I don't want to manually re-enter.

I doubt you'd want to forward the file to some stranger on the Internet, but I'd be happy to have my distributed password attack system at work have a go if you wanted me to. But it seems like your tax affairs are the last thing you'd want to send off.
Even if you went for it though it's still a brute-force and/or dictionary attack on AES which could take longer than the expected lifetime of the universe to crack. Helped a lot if you have some idea of what the password might contain, mind you.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gromit posted:

I doubt you'd want to forward the file to some stranger on the Internet, but I'd be happy to have my distributed password attack system at work have a go if you wanted me to. But it seems like your tax affairs are the last thing you'd want to send off.
Even if you went for it though it's still a brute-force and/or dictionary attack on AES which could take longer than the expected lifetime of the universe to crack. Helped a lot if you have some idea of what the password might contain, mind you.

I appreciate the offer, but it's not that important. Thanks though :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gromit posted:

I'm not at home to check, but DisplayFusion might support some stuff you want? I have dual monitors and use DF to create a hotkey that lets me lock my mouse pointer to my main monitor when I'm gaming (if the game is the sort that lets my cursor go off-screen.) Maybe the tool also lets you block it from entering a particular monitor, but I've honestly no idea.

That sounds promising, I'll check it out tonight.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else had issues with Win8.1's Antimalware Service Executable taking up a lot of CPU when you try to install something? I was reinstalling some programs after reinstalling Windows today when I had to wait more than five minutes each for the UAC prompt to appear before I could install Sublime Text 3 and Git. During this time my laptop's fan kicked on and Task Manager reported that Antimalware Service Executable had the CPU pegged at 40-50% the entire time I waited for the prompt to appear.

Strangely enough it's not with every installer - I installed about a dozen other third-party programs today and only those two caused this behavior. Could there be something about those installers in particular that would cause this? This problem happened to me before and was actually one of the reasons why I reinstalled Windows.

edit: grammar

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2015

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Win8.1's Antimalware Service Executable take up a lot of CPU when you try to install something? I was reinstalling some programs after reinstalling Windows today when I had to wait more than five minutes each for the UAC prompt to appear before I could install Sublime Text 3 and Git. During this time my laptop's fan kicked on and Task Manager reported that Antimalware Service Executable had the CPU pegged at 40-50% the whole time I waited for the prompt to appear.

Strangely enough it's not with everything installer - I installed about a dozen other third-party programs today and only those two that caused this behavior. Could there be something about those installers in particular that would cause this? This happened to me before and was actually one of the reasons why I reinstalled Windows.

Yeah, happens all the time to me. It is why I switched to a third party A/V.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any recommendations for a decent Facebook chat client for either desktop or Metro? Running Windows 8.1 x64.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any reason not to use Trillian? You can uninstall plugins for chat services you don't use, I believe.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

I appreciate the offer, but it's not that important. Thanks though :)

If you have an idea of what kind of password you used, cracking it might not be completely hopeless. I used Advanced RAR Password Recovery in the past to do this successfully in a reasonable amount of time, but the password was pretty short and alphanumeric only. Though the worst case is, as was mentioned, basically forever.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Any reason not to use Trillian? You can uninstall plugins for chat services you don't use, I believe.

I tried Trillian yesterday but it just kept disconnecting from Facebook.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I tried Trillian yesterday but it just kept disconnecting from Facebook.

Alright, I guess this is a more widespread bug than I'd have figured; I'm staying connected to the chat service just fine, but the feed has been janky as all hell since early yesterday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Trillian still exists? I've used Pidgin for facebook chat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I tried Pidgin for Facebook Chat when they discontinued the first party app, but it didn't support group chats (which are like 95% of my Facebook messenger activity). Has it gotten better about that?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to stop Explorer from being absolute poo poo at searching for files on Windows 7?

I'm lucky if it finds maybe 1/5 of the files or folders that I'm looking for, even when I match the full word, case, etc.

Indexing is on for the relevant folders.

One caveat, I use Google Drive on those folders as well, so IDK if that could be loving around with the indexing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to stop Explorer from being absolute poo poo at searching for files on Windows 7?

I'm lucky if it finds maybe 1/5 of the files or folders that I'm looking for, even when I match the full word, case, etc.

Indexing is on for the relevant folders.

One caveat, I use Google Drive on those folders as well, so IDK if that could be loving around with the indexing.

I asked about this a few pages ago and there were some interesting replies but I never found a solution, so it's probably just completely hosed. You could try disabling indexing and it might find more things or likely nothing at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just use a different search. I prefer "Everything" which works infinitely better than explorer and integrates just fine

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Win8.1's Antimalware Service Executable taking up a lot of CPU when you try to install something? I was reinstalling some programs after reinstalling Windows today when I had to wait more than five minutes each for the UAC prompt to appear before I could install Sublime Text 3 and Git. During this time my laptop's fan kicked on and Task Manager reported that Antimalware Service Executable had the CPU pegged at 40-50% the entire time I waited for the prompt to appear.

Strangely enough it's not with every installer - I installed about a dozen other third-party programs today and only those two caused this behavior. Could there be something about those installers in particular that would cause this? This problem happened to me before and was actually one of the reasons why I reinstalled Windows.

edit: grammar

Not here. I've seen the MW process spike at certain points - mostly when it's a fresh install and Onedrive is syncing, but certainly never anything to that extent.

Just tried to install Sublime on my PC, with a 256GB SSD it installed in less than 3 seconds. The MW process didn't spike at all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

Just use a different search. I prefer "Everything" which works infinitely better than explorer and integrates just fine

Seconding the "Everything" suggestion; it's fantastic.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Not here. I've seen the MW process spike at certain points - mostly when it's a fresh install and Onedrive is syncing, but certainly never anything to that extent.

Just tried to install Sublime on my PC, with a 256GB SSD it installed in less than 3 seconds. The MW process didn't spike at all.

MSE/Defender/whatever it's called at the moment has always been an odd one for me. The countless PCs I've dealt with over the years since it has been out all seem to act differently. For the most part, it's fine, but it's very common for me to run into MSE holding up valid executables. Not sure the rhyme or reason, but it's always that process going crazy for a bit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MW has always been a thorn in my side doing that poo poo where it takes half a minute to minutes until an installer will actually start. It doesn't happen every time I install something, but it happens often enough that I knew exactly what the poster was talking about when they brought it up.

This has been happening for years across multiple installs. It started happening to me on Windows 10 right after I moved to it for my full time OS a couple weeks ago.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to not have Windows use that terrible picture printing dialog when printing pictures and instead just use the regular one? No, I don't want a 200x350 px image blown up to 8.5x11 inches, nor do I want two of them just so it's smaller!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

MSE/Defender/whatever it's called at the moment has always been an odd one for me. The countless PCs I've dealt with over the years since it has been out all seem to act differently. For the most part, it's fine, but it's very common for me to run into MSE holding up valid executables. Not sure the rhyme or reason, but it's always that process going crazy for a bit.

Thermopyle posted:

MW has always been a thorn in my side doing that poo poo where it takes half a minute to minutes until an installer will actually start. It doesn't happen every time I install something, but it happens often enough that I knew exactly what the poster was talking about when they brought it up.

This has been happening for years across multiple installs. It started happening to me on Windows 10 right after I moved to it for my full time OS a couple weeks ago.
Well at least I know I'm not going crazy. Is there a goon recommended anti-virus solution if MSE/Defender's off the table? I looked at all of the typical ones but they all seem to have something awful about them, especially ways in which they nag you to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone recommend a PDF annotator (preferably free)? I've been using Goodreader on the ipad for making notes in my textbook but I can't really find a good equivalent on windows (or don't know where to look/what to trust). Anything like it that's not adobe acrobat?