Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Those drat Germans not learning Anglisc, the language of those purest of the Britons, the Angles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:golfclap:

nice

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtirCf-RfU

This little turd has over 100k views for some reason.

Oh yeah. I can't wait to hear from this kid in 5 years.

Remember that stupid poo poo that was like 10 or 12 and spoke at CPAC? Yeah, neither do the people that go to CPAC because he hates them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm actually really glad to hear American Sniper didn't take Best Picture. I was fully expecting it to take it cause everything is awful.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Pohl posted:

Oh yeah. I can't wait to hear from this kid in 5 years.

Remember that stupid poo poo that was like 10 or 12 and spoke at CPAC? Yeah, neither do the people that go to CPAC because he hates them.

Yeah, his political about-face is one of the most refreshing things I've seen in years.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, his political about-face is one of the most refreshing things I've seen in years.

quote:

“I started reflecting on a lot of what I wrote, just thinking about what I had said and what I had done and started reading a lot of other stuff, and not just political stuff,” Krohn said. “I started getting into philosophy — Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Kant and lots of other German philosophers. And then into present philosophers — Saul Kripke, David Chalmers. It was really reading philosophy that didn’t have anything to do with politics that gave me a breather and made me realize that a lot of what I said was ideological blather that really wasn’t meaningful. It wasn’t me thinking. It was just me saying things I had heard so long from people I thought were interesting and just came to believe for some reason, without really understanding it. I understood it enough to talk about it but not really enough to have a conversation about it.”

It almost brings a tear to my eye. Like, really it almost makes me tear up. Beautiful words.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sean Hannity @seanhannity ·
AMERICAN Sniper snubbed by liberal hwood Predictable. #CluelessOscars

uh.

Okay.

I'm personally waiting for stuff on Patricia Arquette's acceptance speech and how Kirk Cameron's Christ in Christmas movie cleaned up at the Razzies.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is it a race thing for right wingers who are delighted that Selma did not win more awards?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

It... wasn't very subtle.

I was reading an archival document in a patient's psychiatric file from the 1930s, and under the patient's race someone had written White. Then a different person had crossed it out and written Irish.

It was really, really unsubtle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is it a race thing for right wingers who are delighted that Selma did not win more awards?

Selma was also only nominated for two things but...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"I understood it enough to talk about it but not really enough to have a conversation about it.”

That's the reason why 90% of all punditry is crap, right there. Good on the kid for noticing it and being brave enough to change even if it cost him a spot as a movement darling.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

I was reading an archival document in a patient's psychiatric file from the 1930s, and under the patient's race someone had written White. Then a different person had crossed it out and written Irish.

It was really, really unsubtle.

What state was it in?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

What state was it in?

Canada.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What I'm noticing more and more by reading this thread, the crazy forwarded email thread, and the Freep thread is that on top of all the usual hallmarks of right-wing ideology, conservatism in the age of the internet is becoming fundamentally mean-spirited*, so it's no surprise that they're reveling in a movie like Selma not being a big award winner. Even though they'll turn around and complain about Birdman being dumb and American Sniper being much better, etc. etc.

* I know it's been pretty mean-spirited for a long time, but I suspect it's getting more intensely bitter and mean spirited since they're increasingly confronted with criticism, as a result of obvious demographic shifts in the US, and since they're generally losing the culture war.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh, if anyone hasn't seen Selma go see it. It's a very good movie and the controversy about inaccuracy is overblown (It's more accurate than any of the other biopics nominated).

The one thing I should note is that it's a very religious movie - people are influenced by their faith and will quote verses to each other. It's a very different (but not bad, in my opinion) feel from what I'm used to.

If anyone's seen Lincoln, it's sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREttlxHBjg

but with the Bible.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lincoln is a great movie when talking about historical accuracy if you mean it was loving horrible at it and Selma wasn't. I've often joked that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was more historically accurate than the Lincoln biopic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lincoln is a great movie when talking about historical accuracy if you mean it was loving horrible at it and Selma wasn't. I've often joked that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was more historically accurate than the Lincoln biopic.

I was actually referring to the historical accuracy of the other Best Picture nominees this year but yes Selma was more accurate than Lincoln as well.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sean Hannity @seanhannity ·
AMERICAN Sniper snubbed by liberal hwood Predictable. #CluelessOscars

uh.

Okay.

It got Best Sound Editing Sean, is that not good enough for you? Why are you upsetting Clint Eastwood?

computer parts posted:

I was actually referring to the historical accuracy of the other Best Picture nominees this year but yes Selma was more accurate than Lincoln as well.

Birdman was historically accurate. Did you know that Michael Keaton was once Batman?

Batman - at + ird = Birdman. Whoa.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

computer parts posted:

Oh, if anyone hasn't seen Selma go see it. It's a very good movie and the controversy about inaccuracy is overblown (It's more accurate than any of the other biopics nominated)
I don't think Imitation Game got a single historical detail correct.

And it was depressing how 90% of the discussion around Selma focused on "Did they treat this one white guy fairly, or not?". Sigh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Or maybe it was when it didn't win a single award the entire awards season. v:shobon:v

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Christ what a bunch of babies.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Ah, so not this one specifically racist guy from Virginia.
http://theaporetic.com/?p=54

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why do people always have to play the race card at the Oscars? Stop being so politically correct, just because the movie you liked wasn't nominated that doesn't mean it's a racist plot to...oh my God, American Sniper didn't win every single award in every category, I knew it Hollywood is in league with the terrorists in a vicious scheme to wreck America!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Is this what Donald Trump thinks very serious, clever people sound like? Because he sounds like me, bullshitting my way through an essay question I didn't understand in middle school

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

From the man who brings us the Miss Universe Pageant :allears:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Trumps entire career has been luck and pretending to know poo poo when he doesn't, in fact, know poo poo about poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Trumps entire career has been luck and pretending to know poo poo when he doesn't, in fact, know poo poo about poo poo.

Well, when you've had as many bankruptcies as him, you learn a thing or two.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

weekly font posted:

Or maybe it was when it didn't win a single award the entire awards season. v:shobon:v

It did win an award, for sound editing.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Ralepozozaxe posted:

very good pew pew pew noises? or was it the fake baby noises edited in

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

QUISLING DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU IGNORANT poo poo. :argh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ratoslov posted:

QUISLING DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU IGNORANT poo poo. :argh:

Pam Gellar literally believes that liberals want to betray America so that Muslims can set up a fascist theocracy. Within the context of her madness, it's properly used.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Pam Gellar literally believes that liberals want to betray America so that Muslims can set up a fascist theocracy. Within the context of her madness, it's properly used.

Lets not forget the rally she held years ago

quote:

A small group of protesters calling themselves the “Bible Believers” confronted Muslims at the Deerborn, Michigan’s annual Arab International Festival last Friday, with a pig’s head on a stick

http://dangerousminds.net/tag/Pamela-Geller

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Yeah, but movies don't win BP if they're ignored the entire rest of the season. It had some good pew pew bang bang sounds for sure though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Well, when you've had as many bankruptcies as him, you learn a thing or two.

Careful, he'll sue for you saying that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kyle seemed like the type that would set up across from the Chinese Theater and take potshots at people leaving the Oscars for not winning enough awards.

Funny he'd remember Obama's stint as a JC Penny's fashion model but not his career as a US Senator or President.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

If ONLY Obama was a good golfer and wore sexy jeans! :cripes:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Guys, he was ONLY a law professor at the #4 ranked law school in the nation. Anyone can do that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Guys, he was ONLY a law professor at the #4 ranked law school in the nation. Anyone can do that, right?

Pssh... yeah and I heard when he was a student there he was the head of the Harvard Law Review. My cat could do that.