Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

holy poo poo youre a loving retard. it appeals to Bloody. he posted it in this very thread. what the gently caress is wrong with you

bloody doesn't exist smythe, he's a fictional character on an internet message board

just like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the best part about the surface is the screen size and resolution

its tiny unreadable poo poo plus the combination of the awful imprecision of the awful trackpad and super tiny cursor is lollers and watching my coworkers struggle mightily using it while maintaining 'this is very good!' is hilarious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's the thing, people don't want the surface, they want some of the features of the surface and not others

it's a convergence device for a bunch of use cases that don't intersect and so it's bad at all of them

just like windows 8

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Lenovo is soooo bad lol :bravo: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/press-office/press-releases/2006/10/ipod-ships-with-virus.aspx

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think theres a pretty big difference between "a chinese supplier slipped some garbage onto the flash" and "not only did we intentionally put that there, but we will continue to try to sell you on it as we issue a non-apology about it"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
also we already knew windows will get most of the infections

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Technical incompetence comes in many distinct flavors

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

which emoticon is code for "i know this is bait but i don't want to call it out because i, too, want to see the meltdowns"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youre already quoting the meltdown

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
*whispering in ur ear* Apple has flawed processes *u wake up in cold sweats*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

*whispering in ur ear* Apple has flawed processes *u wake up in cold sweats*

apple's quality control is pretty lol

they've got a long and storied history of releasing poo poo that just outright fails due to design flaws

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

apple's quality control is pretty lol

they've got a long and storied history of releasing poo poo that just outright fails due to design flaws

:rolleyes: well of COURSE you shouldn't buy first gen apple hardware :rolleyes:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ask me about my macbook with Random Shutdown Syndrome due to improperly smeared thermal paste

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was going to call that out but yeah thanks now i dont have to write poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im the article from 2006 talking about an issue that was quickly addressed being conflated with a history of total shuddering incompetence that is only remarkable in the sea of miserable failure that is the non-Apple world by how absolutely hamfisted the response has been combined with how heinous the problem was

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

im the article from 2006 talking about an issue that was quickly addressed being conflated with a history of total shuddering incompetence that is only remarkable in the sea of miserable failure that is the non-Apple world by how absolutely hamfisted the response has been combined with how heinous the problem was

haha nice melt down

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

the surface was built for windows 8 and windows 8 was built for the surface

it's an ouroboros of poo poo created to appeal to a customer that doesn't exist

sorry but that customer does exist, and he or she is: the republican college student with rich parents

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LOLing about this lenovo debacle. apple is literally unstoppable

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a502RejLz8s

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

LOLing about this lenovo debacle. apple is literally unstoppable

Apple owns and without them we'd be using lovely Android phones with knockoff Blackberry keyboards.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eric posted:

Apple owns and without them we'd be using lovely Android phones with knockoff Blackberry keyboards.

lol android would be blackberry garbage with a trackball and keyboard if it wasn't for apple. we would probably be using the latest pocketPC windows phone with a stylus.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
first-gen iPhone prototype value: Incalculable
first-gen iPhone prototype location: in a vault under apple hq

first android phone prototype (htc dream/t-mobile g1) value: $15 on ebay maybe
first android phone prototype (it's not a dev phone) location: in a box under my bed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

$1029 for a functional surface 'laptop replacement' bloody yr fuckin dumb

SHIP IT

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

More like "Lolnono"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you'd think that dell or asus or someone would look at apple's profit margins, compare it to their own and think hmm maybe we should be more like them.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

lol android would be blackberry garbage with a trackball and keyboard if it wasn't for apple. we would probably be using the latest pocketPC windows phone with a stylus.

palm

(with a stylus)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

you'd think that dell or asus or someone would look at apple's profit margins, compare it to their own and think hmm maybe we should be more like them.
but they cant because theyre selling windows machines and thus compete against companies that also sell windows machines

you arent going to sell your high quality windows laptop for $1200 when hp will sell a laptop with the same specs running the same software for $300 at walmart

its the same reason no one will ever buy microsoft signature devices at the microsoft store and why google cant sell nexus phones. if what youre selling is a commodity the only thing that matters is the price

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OK obviously they do but they're kinda bad at it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

that space is already occupied

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

get ur premium wandows here

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

but they cant because theyre selling windows machines and thus compete against companies that also sell windows machines

you arent going to sell your high quality windows laptop for $1200 when hp will sell a laptop with the same specs running the same software for $300 at walmart

its the same reason no one will ever buy microsoft signature devices at the microsoft store and why google cant sell nexus phones. if what youre selling is a commodity the only thing that matters is the price

aren't the signature devices the same price

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Yolo Wizard posted:

yeah but you have to go in to the michaelsoft store if you're in a city, and you have to go to th ebig city if youre a yokel

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

i suppose well never know because no one has ever gone into a microsoft store

even if they were the same price or cheaper it wouldnt make any difference to my point which is that no one is ever going to look for a "quality" windows pc. just as no one travels across town to get the good white bread or the best 2% milk no one gives a gently caress which windows computer they buy so long as its cheap as gently caress and completely disposable

it is unfathomable to the average person that one windows computer could possibly be better than any other to them theyre all garbage that if they must have they will expend the least amount of money and effort to obtain

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually I believe the Signature devices are anywhere from $50 to $100 more expensive. I could be wrong, though.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah I just cross-checked and most are anywhere from $30 to $100 more expensive for the same model. So yeah, everyone should just format and reinstall whenever they receive a new Windows laptop.

Except of course for the fact that the keys typically don't work on a non-vendor-supplied disc :xd:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was just lookin at the cheapest of cheap laptops, the hp stream. identical pricing but i guess thats kinda a crucial selling point of the device soooooo (I have no belief that they'd be able to match whatever voodoo pricing / discount configuration dell or lenovo have conjured up for that week)

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Except of course for the fact that the keys typically don't work on a non-vendor-supplied disc :xd:

their downloadable one works completely fine with oem keys. They only got this right with 8.1 though (and for a while their recovery media options for that were hosed too)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

their downloadable one works completely fine with oem keys. They only got this right with 8.1 though (and for a while their recovery media options for that were hosed too)

Weird. Someone in the Security megathread said that it wouldn't work for them (something about it being "baked in"). He even used the ISO right from Microsoft's website.

is this their logo

get it?? HP.....stream !!!! :laugh:

• Locked thread