Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Wait, why is putting Wrestlemania on NBC so out there? I mean Wrestlemania did air, albeit heavily abridged, on NBC last August, and did fine. I don't think Wrestlemania is the right choice, since Wrestlemania is really what sells the network, but putting something like Summerslam (or a SNME hyping Summerslam) on TV during the dead zone of a Saturday/Sunday in the summer against a bunch of Wipeout! re-runs or whatever seems like a pretty good idea, because otherwise it's hard to get out and reach people outside your Cable TV bubble.

Although that article is pretty terrible. I like the Masked Man fine, but he can sometimes come off like a first-year professor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well other than getting 4 hours of prime time tv on NBC would be nigh on impossible, the advertising revenue would be slashed to pieces, you would lose the money from those who still buy PPV and NBC has absolutely no desire to do so, the other problem is that any match that went more than 12 minutes would have an ad break.

It's not really worth the money for NBC to do it, the returns they would get wouldn't be worth it when they can put up relatively inexpensive tv that appeases their core audience and advertising partners.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
NBC should air SmackDown on basic television instead of Syfy, it's the only way they'd get viewers on a Thursday evening :v:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NBC would probably get better ratings if they gave up trying to create new hits and just aired Friends/Seinfeld reruns on Thursday nights

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In all seriousness, Smackdown can consistently draw in two and a half million viewers, on basic cable. There are some NBC comedies – Community included – that struggled to get that in a Thursday NBC slot.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

TV obviously isn't a perfectly logical world either, there's some weird poo poo. Last year FOX spent $50 million to set up and produce Utopia, a reality show no one watched that did nothing new or special. That kind of dipshit gamble from a network is probably the most likely path to a real #2 USA wrestling promotion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

laz0rbeak posted:

Wait, why is putting Wrestlemania on NBC so out there? I mean Wrestlemania did air, albeit heavily abridged, on NBC last August, and did fine. I don't think Wrestlemania is the right choice, since Wrestlemania is really what sells the network, but putting something like Summerslam (or a SNME hyping Summerslam) on TV during the dead zone of a Saturday/Sunday in the summer against a bunch of Wipeout! re-runs or whatever seems like a pretty good idea, because otherwise it's hard to get out and reach people outside your Cable TV bubble.

Although that article is pretty terrible. I like the Masked Man fine, but he can sometimes come off like a first-year professor.

First of all those reruns do abysmal ratings even for NBC. Second, they are just a remnant of the old contract and the Saturday Night's Main Event slots they were promised. Those bombed so badly they became the WM replay and Tribute to the Troops and have stuck around.

For The Network to perform the way WWE wants it to this year Wrestlemania will bring in at least $15 million in revenue on the Network plus whatever it gets on PPV. Probably $20-25 million total.

No Network is going to pay $25 million for Wrestlemania. None. Fox pays a few million for the UFC Fox Specials that bring many multiples the ad revenue of WWE. That's why it's out there. They'd have to pay 10 times what Fox is paying for UFC just for WWE to break even on the proposition. As for the other PPVs, well those are going to bring in fewer viewers but are still worth a lot of revenue to WWE. Each episode of Raw is worth something like 2 million dollars to USA, are they going to pay 12-15 million for Summerslam? No way.

Sanguinia posted:

Also let's reiterate a point I made in some other post that I can't go to any store without seeing something branded with Duck Dynasty, a show literally about rednecks dicking around while avoiding running their loving DUCK CALL BUSINESS. And also Honey Boo Boo's riveting toenail based programming. But we can't put advertisements on a pro wrestling show because that would make us look low-brow.

Duck Dynasty was drawing twice the viewership of Raw and shared some advertisers with WWE. Honey Boo Boo's demos skew more female, I have no idea why you'd bring either up. Yes both look white trash, both have different reasons to appeal to advertisers than WWE and I don't remember a lot of top dollar sponsors being named when the Duck Dynasty boycotts were being called for.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

They are willing to support that product. Historically wrestling fans haven't even been seen as a giant boon for networks trying to get people to tune into other programs. One of the rare exceptions was The Ultimate Fighter. That's one reason why it's rarely been used as a lead in to other original programming. People who watch Raw are a really peculiar breed. Even if there were signs they want to support other things, brands don't want to be seen as low class even if they are cheap. When TV Networks, surveys and advertisers all view an audience as worthless maybe it really is worthless? It's ok to admit you are trash, I already know I am.

I would say Coors Light in particular is as obsessed as Vince is with proving they aren't cheap or low-class.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rovert, I feel like I hate you because in my mind you just follow wrestlers's twitters/reddit/Observer etc all day.

I want to get to like you. What do you do for a living? What's your life like? I just want to humanize you in my mind, because I only see you as a wrestling aggregator bot. You can even provide your first name if you like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like that people are still (in the year 2015 even) under the impression wrestling can easily find TV homes.

They couldn't even give away Smackdown to a station bigger than SyFy, and Main Event sunk away from US TV in record time. The #2 company last year couldn't negotiate to a bigger home than Discovery's 3rd-string channel.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sanguinia posted:

Even if we believe the statistical data on this, it seems like such a stupid reason to not want to advertise with them. What are the two biggest cash cows of professional football? Cars and beer.

Incorrect, it's pharmaceuticals and pharmaceuticals.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

They couldn't even give away Smackdown to a station bigger than SyFy, and Main Event sunk away from US TV in record time. The #2 company last year couldn't negotiate to a bigger home than Discovery's 3rd-string channel.

ROH wasn't looking for a new station last year.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

First of all those reruns do abysmal ratings even for NBC. Second, they are just a remnant of the old contract and the Saturday Night's Main Event slots they were promised. Those bombed so badly they became the WM replay and Tribute to the Troops and have stuck around.

It's stupid hair-splitting because again, I am not endorsing Wrestlemania live on NBC, but no, that August show didn't do "abysmal" ratings. It was carried by pre-season football, but won the night in the 18-49 demo and finished second overall to the grandparents watching 60 minutes. I know that comes with the asterisk that it was in the dead zone of early August, but that's kind of my point; WWE could put something on broadcast TV during the summer doldrums and probably get some interest from people that aren't watching USA every week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

laz0rbeak posted:

It's stupid hair-splitting because again, I am not endorsing Wrestlemania live on NBC, but no, that August show didn't do "abysmal" ratings. It was carried by pre-season football, but won the night in the 18-49 demo and finished second overall to the grandparents watching 60 minutes. I know that comes with the asterisk that it was in the dead zone of early August, but that's kind of my point; WWE could put something on broadcast TV during the summer doldrums and probably get some interest from people that aren't watching USA every week.

Those numbers were skewed, the initial numbers that came out were weighted wrong, the show did a 1.5 and 2.5 million viewers. If that was still #1 for the night, huzzah I guess? The year before it did a terrible rating with a half million fewer viewers and traditionally that show and Tribute to the Troops do poorly. Yeah, they could put something on but these are just shows they have to put on as part of a bigger contract they are barely paying anything for them. They aren't going to pay seven figures for a PPV and anything less than that is going to die on NBC like the SNMEs did.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

I can forgive RAW crowds for sucking due to the constant talking segments, recaps, and general repetitiveness. But that was a perfectly good wrestling PPV show and the crowd just wasn't into it from start to finish.

quote:

If you get given poo poo than you give them nothing. This show was loving garbage and you can't expect them to react. I mean goddamn people complained about the Rumble crowd and now you're complaining, it's not the crowds job to get themselves excited.

quote:

I don't know what planet you are living on where that was a 'garbage' show. The Tag Title match, the US Title match, and the main event were all really good/great, with everything else being solid or otherwise short. It's not like it was TLC where they threw Big Show and Rowan out there for 10 minutes in an abortion of a match.

Some guy on another forum complaining about the dead crowd at Fastlane. Second quote is me and the third quote is him again.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 23, 2015

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Testekill posted:

Some guy on another forum complaining about the dead crowd.

Yeah, how dare the crowd die early when they had something as hot as that plucky up-and-comer Kane picking up a clean pinfall over Dolph Ziggler?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's also not a crowd's job to get into a good match just because of good wrestling, they have to be given a reason to care about who's in the ring, either through good stories or good booking or important titles. Nothing in the build has made anyone care, therefore deadness.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

who reported Bryan winning? it certainly wasn't metsfan's source, betting odds

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

WeaponX posted:

who reported Bryan winning? it certainly wasn't metsfan's source, betting odds

I don't know of anyone who did. I just love the idea that correctly predicting Roman Reigns would win proves his credibility.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

I don't know of anyone who did. I just love the idea that correctly predicting Roman Reigns would win proves his credibility.

those clowns took the time to make an actual spreadsheet on him to "prove his credibility". don't expect much from that crew.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

At the time he 100% guaranteed a Reigns win, that win was a forgone conclusion, and only after was there talk of plans changing to make the previously ruled-out triple threat a possibility. Clearly plans changed again since then, but at no point did Metsfan make any sort of bold prediction that would require anything other than just thinkin what the likely outcome would be. So yeah, that people are taking this as proof of anything is hilarious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

some jagoff from the spoony experiment forums on AJ's recent twitter comments posted:

But, are they getting paid the same for the amount of screentime they get that the men would in a similar situation? (I realize that they're not paid by the hour or anything even remotely like that. Just asking a question based on proportions)

Are they being asked to take the same risks? (Even a bottom of the mid-card guy like Adam Rose or Fandango takes more risks in an average match than any of the Divas will in an average week.)

And do they draw in the numbers that the men do? (No, but this is not entirely their fault.)

If a woman is doing the same job just as well, and has been doing it just as long, she deserves to be paid the same as her male counterpart. Otherwise, there should be some disparity. If she has been there longer, she should have gotten more raises. If she does a better job, her raise should be bigger. Likewise, if she hasn't been there as long, fewer raises, and if she doesn't do as good a job, smaller raises.

That is how it should be. Pay based off of performance.

Wow this is some top tier bullshit

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ah yes, pro wrestling is a meritocracy. Gotta earn your spot, brother.

(books Kane to pin Dolph Ziggler clean in the year 2015)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It wasn't clean, Big Show hit him as a cheap shot while he was the ineligable man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Adam Rose, the man who does one move and pins jobbers, takes more bumps/risks than Nikki Bella, who does one move and pins jobbers...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ribsauce posted:

It wasn't clean, Big Show hit him as a cheap shot while he was the ineligable man.

Yes, because this punch looks like it had so much impact.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Testekill posted:

Yes, because this punch looks like it had so much impact.

You don't get it. Big Show's punches are so powerful that even a slow jab with no momentum is an instant KO.

Yet somehow Big Show is not wwe champ for life somehow

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Blast Fantasto posted:

You don't get it. Big Show's punches are so powerful that even a slow jab with no momentum is an instant KO.

Yet somehow Big Show is not wwe champ for life somehow

as far as I can tell, his main issue is that he often forgets that he can punch people until 15-20 minutes into a match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You know my point you jerks :mad:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

abraham linksys posted:

as far as I can tell, his main issue is that he often forgets that he can punch people until 15-20 minutes into a match

He's afraid of his own strength.

Like that time he threw Austin through the cage during his debut at St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Or that other time he chokeslammed JBL through the ring in the barbed wire cage match and lost his title shot.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ayn rand hand job posted:

He's afraid of his own strength.

Like that time he threw Austin through the cage during his debut at St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Or that other time he chokeslammed JBL through the ring in the barbed wire cage match and lost his title shot.

considering one of the rules in the WWE is that you can get DQed for kicking too much rear end, I suppose I can see why he would be so worried to just throw out those punches :ohdear:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To be fair, any sane system would pay those who take the more dangerous bumps more. Honestly the NXT girls on merit of pure working, deserve much more money than most if not all of the main roster.

It's a circular system of justification though, Women don't work as hard as men (because they have less and shorter matches) ergo don't deserve the same pay as the men, BUT they book the matches in which the women compete, so that's of their own making. Obviously if Nikki Bella and Cameron put on a 40 minute match in the usual Undertaker Slot at Wrestlemania... well... sorry I had a train of thought but I completely lost it after imagining that match.

Of course, if AJ doesn't think she's being paid for equivalent work of her male counterparts, then she can bring it before a court of law. That's illegal (well, probably gotten around with Independent contracts) under the Fair Wage act. Although I'm sure there's a loophole of some sort in her contract.

All I know is I really don't want to be the one to crack open this cthulhuesque can of worms in deciphering how that all actually works. Heck I don't even know how much the girls make.

But ya know, so long as no one starts complaining they should be making Cena money, Mostly because I don't think the WWE even has that kind of money.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I like that one of Show's normal moves is just destroying guys with body shots that look way stiffer than his KO punch

you'd think every match would end with his opponent dead from internal bleeding but it's pro wrestling so they completely no sell them most of the time

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Body shots only work against Brock Lesnar

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ribsauce posted:

I mean I've seen plenty of double team move finishes when someone was ineligable.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HulkaMatt posted:

I mean I've seen plenty of double team move finishes when someone was ineligable.

3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shine posted:

3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!

That is the most perfect text representation of a wrestling crowd reaction I've ever seen.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Shine posted:

3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!
3D!3D!3D!3D!

Fabulous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok