Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

this is pulled pork :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Has there ever been a video game about Be Cool or Get Shorty? I would play as Chili in games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Chili is just spicy meat stew. poo poo got invented independently all over the place, so there is no one true version. What's next, claiming that your podunk hometown is the one true birthplace of bread and that all other breads are inferior imitations? Just because you did or did not have beans in chili is a child doesn't make your dumbass opinions any more valid.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Chili is just spicy meat stew. poo poo got invented independently all over the place, so there is no one true version. What's next, claiming that your podunk hometown is the one true birthplace of bread and that all other breads are inferior imitations? Just because you did or did not have beans in chili is a child doesn't make your dumbass opinions any more valid.

you are a inferior poster

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 23, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I enjoy beans in chili and I also enjoy video games

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eonwe posted:

So lately I've noticed an uptick of interest in games threads about chili in the Planetside, Star Citizen, and Mechwarrior threads. But on to chili -
there's a handful of people propagating this.....

Eonwe posted:

But on to chili -
you're a monster

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Beans are fine but you should realize when adding them that they add almost nothing to the taste. Essentially they are just filler if you want to pad out your chili, which is fine as long as you understand what what your doing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Chili was a working class dish, and beans were cheaper.

Essentially by not adding beans what you're doing is going against the spirit of Chili as it was intended and are gentrifying it. There is no worse crime tbh

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Essentially by not adding beans what you're doing is going against the spirit of Chili as it was intended and are gentrifying it. There is no worse crime tbh

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ddraig posted:

Agree. Trust Americans to culturally repossess chili and make it terrible, like every culinary thing they touch. Every ischaemic heart attack is a small victory for good taste, and bean chili.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_X._Tolbert

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Foodies are scum and I hope a worldwide food crisis hits so they will all die due to not being able to tolerate the food that normal people will happily eat.

"You use pinto beans? Good sir, this may be the only crop we have left but I wanted a chili, not a bastard such as this :smug:"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dudes and dudettes,

I may have come off as being anti-bean in my earlier posts. That is not true. Personally, I like both beans and sweet corn and tomato chunks in my chili. Unless it is being used as a topping for other dishes, like hot dogs or french fries or similar. Then it must be a pure meat chili.

Apologies

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're the kind of person that can debate about whether or not you should have beans in your food you should shut the gently caress up and eat your god drat food because there's people out there who are not as lucky as you.

--- My mother

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

your mother sounds like the sort of person who actively discourages discourse, conversation and attempts at improvement

condolences

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
But what ingredients are truly essential to calling a food "chili"?

Surely not beans, as we can see there are many people who are pro- or anti-bean. Not truly meat, as there are vegetarian chilis which can be pretty tasty. Tomato? Onions? Chilis can have many ingredients, but the basic important core elements are, I feel, tomato paste or something, and some kind of meat or meat substitute (such as perhaps beans or simply fake-meat). And assorted seasonings of course.

The most important thing to define a food as chili and not soup is that it is thick, hearty, and brown

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

your mother sounds like the sort of person who actively discourages discourse, conversation and attempts at improvement

condolences

Probably. She was right about food, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

HJE-Cobra posted:

Mustard

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

it's most certainly meat, beans and a tomato based sauce as the barest minimum.

HJE-Cobra posted:

Surely not beans, as we can see there are many people who are pro- or anti-bean. Not truly meat, as there are vegetarian chilis which can be pretty tasty. Tomato? Onions? Chilis can have many ingredients, but the basic important core elements are, I feel, tomato paste or something, and some kind of meat or meat substitute (such as perhaps beans or simply fake-meat). And assorted seasonings of course.

:yikes:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Blazing Zero posted:

it's most certainly meat, beans and a tomato based sauce as the barest minimum.

Look man you really don't want to go down that bean path, do you? The Great Bean Debate tears communities and families apart

And while I prefer real meat in my chili, I can at least accept vegetarian chili as a variant of chili. What else would you call it? Vegan burgers are still burgers, though a pale shadowy imitation of the real deal

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 23, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

Look man you really don't want to go down that bean path, do you? The Great Bean Debate tears communities and families apart

Blazing Zero posted:

beanless chili is actually lovely hamburger stew hth.

HJE-Cobra posted:

And while I prefer real meat in my chili, I can at least accept vegetarian chili as a variant of chili. What else would you call it? Vegan burgers are still burgers, though a pale shadowy imitation of the real deal
vegan anything: a dumb foodie gimmick that gets abandoned as soon as the need to survive kicks in

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

here's a chili story. in h1z1, you can find chili. there are only two types: chili with beans and grat's spicy chili. seeing that grat also makes refried beans, it's safe to say both chilis contain beans and one contains 'scorching after effects.'

next issue: how spicy should your chili be?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Axetrain posted:

Beans are fine but you should realize when adding them that they add almost nothing to the taste. Essentially they are just filler if you want to pad out your chili, which is fine as long as you understand what what your doing.

Unless you loving enjoy beans and the way they taste, also what kind of crazy chili does not make you fart constantly? To get the true chili experience, and for everyone else around to be annoyed, you need beans.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

extremely

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread yet, but Sonic the Hedgehog likes to eat Chili Dogs.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't know how there can be any confusion. It's right in the name. Chili peppers are the essential ingredient in Chili.

As for me, I make my chili with black beans and serve it over macaroni with crumbled tortilla chips on top.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxhI4I5kq8

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

here's a chili story. in h1z1, you can find chili. there are only two types: chili with beans and grat's spicy chili. seeing that grat also makes refried beans, it's safe to say both chilis contain beans and one contains 'scorching after effects.'

A world with beans in chili suffered a zombie apocalypse.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

A world with beans in chili suffered a zombie apocalypse.

i don't appreciate this implication, friend

e: quick skype poll

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 23, 2015

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

beanless chili is actually lovely hamburger stew hth.

Then don't use ground beef, its pretty simple

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

its the chili that ruins the beans and not vice versa

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Blazing Zero posted:

It doesn't need to be hugely spicy. I like spicy food, but I often cook it for my family members aswell and they're not as tolerant as me and i try to be a considerate cook.

You really do need proper chili powder, though (as in, ground from dried chilis and not packet stuff) because they really do taste much better and you can tailor it to whatever you like.

Most hot sauce is vinegary garbage. Nothing will gently caress up a chili quicker than dumping a ton of vinegar in. Also the extremely hot sauces that use extract tend to taste horrible and metallic so don't put that in there either.

Just use some hot chilis if you want it hot. Scotch bonnets are my preferred since Habaneros are quite hard to get in the UK.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

If you're the kind of person that can debate about whether hot sauce is vinegary garbage or not you should shut the gently caress up and eat your god drat food because there's people out there who are not as lucky as you.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

The most important thing to define a food as chili and not soup is that it is thick, hearty, and brown

Yes, surely the defining core ingredient of chili is tomato and not FREAKING CHILI PEPPERS.

It's literally the name of the drat thing.

Also so far as games go, there was an '07 PSP game called chili con carnage. Not sure how much actual chili con carne was in the game, but it was at least in the name.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Please don't use extract sauces. A celebrated one had the same taste as pond scum. I say this as someone who's ended up tasting a lot of pond scum.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Please don't use extract sauces. A celebrated one had the same taste as pond scum. I say this as someone who's ended up tasting a lot of pond scum.

i think it's agreed then. use fresh chili powder when possible, otherwise just go drink pond scum

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a list of games featuring chili either as an item or plot device? And their status as to beans? Do Nintendo games lean pro beans and Sony games ignore the beans? How often are beans modded in or out in PC gaming?

This cooking mama game recipe features soybeans for example: http://cookingmama.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_Con_Carne

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I haven't had good chili in a while, and I gotta admit the combo of chili + rice sounds really fantastic. I am neutral on the bean stance. Have had excellent chili both with and without.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

what happened posted:

everybody post thier cili recipes

What are you a spy???

just kidding here's a turkey chili recipe with beans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1SGHXe4-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I was deeply let down by this thread tag.

• Locked thread