Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I love how they collectively pretend the UBL raid never happened. I mean , it was probably the ballsiest American military operation since D-Day and it worked pretty much flawlessly. We illegally and unilaterally invaded a nuclear sovereign power to assassinate the most wanted man in history and we pulled it off with zero casualties in a couple hours.

Had George W. Bush done that, there would have been no end to the idolization. We'd be hearing about how he was the greatest President since Lincoln. But yeah all Obama has ever done is wear mom jeans. They have the minds of children and should be treated accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alex DeLarge posted:

Pssh... yeah and I heard when he was a student there he was the head of the Harvard Law Review. My cat could do that.

Which was a position into which he was elected only due to affirmative action.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And someone's local Fox anchor just used a racial slur to describe Lady Gaga's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4EimDlDEc&t=20s

"Raw Story posted:

After several people complained to Capel on Twitter, she cut and pasted the same explanation to each of them.

“I apologize if I offended you, I had no idea it was a word or what it meant. Thank you for watching,” Capel wrote.

EDIT: I know local Fox has zero to do with big Fox, but since there was some Oscars/racist discussion going on here...

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 23, 2015

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Chadderbox posted:

Which was a position into which he was elected only due to affirmative action.

Just like the presidency!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And someone's local Fox anchor just used a racial slur to describe Lady Gaga's music.

EDIT: I know local Fox has zero to do with big Fox, but since there was some Oscars/racist discussion going on here...

Her co-anchor has some excellent self-control. Not even an eyebrow raise.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't wait for them to simultaneously say that Hillary's career consists a bunch of nothing jobs (I can't understand their dumbass reasons for why she hasn't had a real one) but Walker's government employment since he was 21 is totally cool and a reason he is the best.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How can you not know what the word "jigaboo" means? Like it has only had one meaning ever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vargatron posted:

How can you not know what the word "jigaboo" means? Like it has only had one meaning ever.

How common is it though? The only time I've ever heard the word was Police Academy 1; a thirty-one year old film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think that is actually a case of the anchor just being dumb because she used it to describe possibly the whitest thing at the event.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

yeah i really don't buy that she used the word in the completely correct context without knowing at all what it means

still good defense "as a professional word sayer i used a word which was completely alien to me" yes i often admit to being absolutely unqualified for my job when i make a mistake

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah i really don't buy that she used the word in the completely correct context without knowing at all what it means

still good defense "as a professional word sayer i used a word which was completely alien to me" yes i often admit to being absolutely unqualified for my job when i make a mistake

The best part is her saying "Thank you for watching" at the end of her apology. She knew what she said, what it meant, and she feels no remorse beyond that of people calling her out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The best part is her saying "Thank you for watching" at the end of her apology. She knew what she said, what it meant, and she feels no remorse beyond that of people calling her out.

Its getting to the point where newscasters like her say stuff like this just to attract the sort of racist viewers they want, and the apology is just to maintain appearances.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Guys, he was ONLY a law professor at the #4 ranked law school in the nation. Anyone can do that, right?
4th best is just 3rd loser!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Courtesy the politoon thread.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Is American Sniper an actually good movie. All I know about the book and Kyle is the controversy about him and the potential inaccuracies in the book but I wonder if it's still worth watching or is it just dumb jingoistic bullshit.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yep, here comes the Patricia Arquette backlash

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/02/23/fox-host-slams-equal-pay-advocacy-at-oscars-pat/202623

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rexicon1 posted:

Is American Sniper an actually good movie. All I know about the book and Kyle is the controversy about him and the potential inaccuracies in the book but I wonder if it's still worth watching or is it just dumb jingoistic bullshit.

its not as bad as the book but it's a boring iraq war movie about a dumb redneck who learns the hard way that war sucks and then his master plan of arming the severely mentally ill literally backfires neatly summarizing his whole idiot life

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's both a hagiography of a sociopathic, violently bigoted murderer, and mediocre and very predictable/by the numbers, if competently made

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah the best thing that can be said for it is that eastwood knows his business

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its in such an effect that it has almost no effect upon equal pay issues. Well done.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

CommieGIR posted:

Its in such an effect that it has almost no effect upon equal pay issues. Well done.

Why the gently caress is Stacey Dash a member of the news or any media that people should listen to unless they are smoking weed. She was the incredibly stupid yet hot girl in her movies over a decade ago but now we are supposed to listen to her?
Fuckadlkfjadajflasdajdfasdfadfklfj.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Who the gently caress says "do your history?"
It would be "learn your history." Am I wrong?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I never realized that WHITE MEN are the most oppressed and marginalized group of people until I saw those Hollywood starlets with their Botox and their LIBERAL AGENDAS. Thank goodness for fake Lacey Chabert to set us straight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rexicon1 posted:

I never realized that WHITE MEN are the most oppressed and marginalized group of people until I saw those Hollywood starlets with their Botox and their LIBERAL AGENDAS. Thank goodness for fake Lacey Chabert to set us straight.

Old White Men with Law Degrees even.

The Oppressed CEO Billionaire Class.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Who the gently caress says "do your history?"
It would be "learn your history." Am I wrong?

Often people with childlike minds view education the same way they did when they were middle schoolers where it was rote tasks that need to be churned out as opposed to an enrichment to ones life.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

It's very mediocre with a hilariously bad ending. It literally ends with him walking out the door and then onscreen text tells us that he was killed, then a few minutes of real-life footage of his funeral is shown (at no point in the movie are real footage or documentary-style techniques used up until this point).

The rest of the movie is pretty bland with a couple of good, tense, scenes scattered throughout but you might as well just watch Hurt Locker.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Pohl posted:

Why the gently caress is Stacey Dash a member of the news or any media that people should listen to unless they are smoking weed. She was the incredibly stupid yet hot girl in her movies over a decade ago but now we are supposed to listen to her?

Thanks, I was wondering why I recognized her but didn't remember her being a member of the punditry.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I not only 100% totally believe that she has no idea what the word meant, but I 100% totally believe that she'd be dumb enough to use it anyway not knowing what it meant.

She is excruciating to watch/listen to on the shows she's on and if you'd suffered through that like anyone else has, you'd see she's kind of vapid in a lot of aspects. She's nice, but oblivious and she's absolutely tiring.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 23, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Tender Bender posted:

It's very mediocre with a hilariously bad ending. It literally ends with him walking out the door and then onscreen text tells us that he was killed, then a few minutes of real-life footage of his funeral is shown (at no point in the movie are real footage or documentary-style techniques used up until this point).

The rest of the movie is pretty bland with a couple of good, tense, scenes scattered throughout but you might as well just watch Hurt Locker.

dont forget the 60million dollar budget blockbuster has a fake baby during a dramatic moment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

Do you register brain wave activity of any kind? Are you presentable? Will you turn on your own people for mentions? We have openings now!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Do you register brain wave activity of any kind? Are you presentable? Will you turn on your own people for mentions? We have openings now!

I'd turn on my race instantaneously for like a nice lunch.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

joeburz posted:

dont forget the 60million dollar budget blockbuster has a fake baby during a dramatic moment.

And there's literally no reason for him to need to hold the baby in that scene. When the baby they were supposed to use got sick they should have just altered the scene. But Eastwood is so loving by-the-book as a director and apparently hates making any changes at all to the script which is why his movies are generally more decent than great.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Hazo posted:

I don't know what you're referring to.
I do. Back on October 23, the US coordinated with the Kurds in Kobani to help reclaim Tall Shair/Tel Sheir hill from ISIL. The US did this by leveling the loving hill with multiple massive airstrikes, which was filmed from across the border. SFW picture version:

Someone made a HQ gif of the strikes, which is a bit :nws: considering it does show ISIL fighters being killed:
http://gfycat.com/CoordinatedScrawnyDutchsmoushond

Now for the other part of your post:

Hazo posted:

But for real if someone has a quick reference to the immense amount of the stuff the US is doing it'd be real handy to have for the chickenhawk dipshits who think Obummer isn't doing anything unless he's actively putting people in the line of fire.
The US has done more than 700 airstrikes in Kobani. How has this helped out, you ask? Let's have a time lapse of some maps courtesy of Chuck Pfarrer on twitter, and take note of the number of airstrikes:
Kobani in October:

Tel Shaer hill reclamation happened at this time.

Kobani in November:

Kobani in December:

Kobani in January:

Kobani was finally liberated from ISIL in late January:

(Kurdish Flag flying on Mistenur Hill.)

So then comes the reclamation of Kobani canton in late January and to the present in February:

(The Kurds trapped ISIL fighters in four loving chokepoints in mid-February.)

That last one is from today, and we're still helping out the Kurds by airstriking ISIL.

Net result of the US airstriking the gently caress out of ISIL in Kobani (canton): 1100 ISIL fighters dead, ISIL morale in the loving toilet, ISIL's advance in northern Syria was not only stopped but completely reversed, and ISIL has absolutely nothing to show for their assault on Kobani Kurdish Stalingrad. The next target for the Kurds is to take the ISIL-held town of Gire Sipi/Tal Abyad.

The Kurds taking that town would cut off ISIL's main route between Raqqa and the Turkish border, aka how ISIL get a lot of their foreign fighters. Guess what the US is going to be doing in the next month? That's right, airstriking the gently caress out of Gire Sipi/Tal Abyad so that the Kurds can take it.:getin:

Not sorry for the giant post, because the Kurds are loving awesome, and here is an irrefutable answer to how the US has managed to help stop ISIL in Syria without sending in US ground troops.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mister Macys posted:

How common is it though? The only time I've ever heard the word was Police Academy 1; a thirty-one year old film.

I should have prefaced that I'm from South Carolina and that it's definitely part of our racist lexicon. I could see how people from other areas of the US wouldn't know the term.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mr. mephistopheles posted:

And there's literally no reason for him to need to hold the baby in that scene. When the baby they were supposed to use got sick they should have just altered the scene. But Eastwood is so loving by-the-book as a director and apparently hates making any changes at all to the script which is why his movies are generally more decent than great.

Likely thought having a shot of him holding a baby would be the best way to humanize the guy, though came off more schlocky than anything else.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

My favorite Stacey Dash thing (aside from the scene in Illegal in Blue) was her recent slut shaming of other girls for the way they dress despite her nude scene in the movie Illegal in Blue.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Seeing that big bunch of maps and the way this war is shaking up the entire levant, I wonder if at some point in the near future we see another US backed client state a la Isreal for the Kurds. They've been this weird cause célèbre among the Hawks in Washington as far back as the 70s despite the basis of their identity as "ottomans who disliked the secularization post WWI".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rexicon1 posted:

Seeing that big bunch of maps and the way this war is shaking up the entire levant, I wonder if at some point in the near future we see another US backed client state a la Isreal for the Kurds. They've been this weird cause célèbre among the Hawks in Washington as far back as the 70s despite the basis of their identity as "ottomans who disliked the secularization post WWI".

not as long as turkey is a key member of NATO

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Actually, Eastwood is an ok director, which only goes to prove how horrible Hollywood is.
But we aren't really talking about a movie, are we, we are talking about a narrative. Those are very different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

tbh I thought Eastwood was loving senile after his speech at the RNC.