Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

In what way is Dark 2 more forgiving than it's predecessors?

For most people, probably the hundred plus hours they put into Demon/Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The bosses in DS2 are also easier overall even though there's more of them, for example Flamelurker and Maneaters from Demon's Souls were pretty brutal especially for such early bosses. Plus you don't instantly lose 50% of your max hp from one death. :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have something for Sunless Sea? I have no ideaa what I'm doing.
Best to wait for the patch if you haven't started. Also the last few pages of the sunless sea thread is good, and mostly explains why.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brian Fellows posted:

I wish they'd made this more clear. I played at launch, then played again much later (as in like 3 months ago) and none of the guides I looked at regarding changes mentioned "Hey, feel free to jack up the difficulty!" I played through the first three acts and quit because of how boring it was on normal.

Yeah its pretty stupid.

al-azad posted:

It's oddly one of their splash screen recommendations. You know, that thing you barely have 3 seconds to read? Raising the difficulty also gives you more experience and gold so you'd think it would be something they stress from the start.

I'd say anyone who isn't new to Diablo style games can breeze through on Nightmare from level 1. Torment 1 jacks up enemy HP and resistances to the point where normal enemies take way too long to kill until you hit level cap and can start fine tuning yourself. Or at least that's how I felt playing as a witch doctor.

Whats really dumb is lots of the difficulties, like I believe Nightmare, are locked behind you beating the game. You're stuck on like Hard or Hell difficulty until you do. :doh: Better than loving normal though, anything but normal. Normal difficulty was balanced for like people's grandmas who happen to play Diablo or something. I don't know what Blizzard was thinking starting everybody on Normal.

The Lone Badger posted:

Which of the Souls game should I play first? Demons, Dark or Dark2?

This is a :can: question but the real answer is any of them. They're all amazing.

I'd probably start with DS1 or DeS if I was you. Not that DS2 is as bad or worse like some say, I love DS2. But it makes sense to play DS2 last, I think. DS1 and DeS are more directed, DS2 almost feels like a bonus campaign "Congrats, you beat DS1, now here's something more and a little different".

Kanfy posted:

The bosses in DS2 are also easier overall even though there's more of them, for example Flamelurker and Maneaters from Demon's Souls were pretty brutal especially for such early bosses. Plus you don't instantly lose 50% of your max hp from one death. :v:

In DS1 you lose none of your health from death, so by that regard its the easiest.

In the end the one you played first was the hardest and the one you played last was the easiest, because you get good at them and the skills translate very well from one game to the next.

I played DeS last and so it seemed pretty easy by comparison, but it was probably harder overall. I was just better personally at 3rd person action games by that point. Much, much better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I started playing Metro 2033 Redux on Spartan, Hardcore difficulty. I did understand that in this mode resources are limited etc. but I guess I made a mistake - was I supposed to purchase more ammo before heading out of the station for the tunnel mission? Right now I am stuck crouched while in the tunnel while these wolf creatures attack me and I have maybe 6 bullets if that much. Reloading the checkpoint just puts me back into that position. As the game barely started this does not sound normal.

Spartan is the mode where you get a lot of ammo. But yeah, that doesn't sound normal as long as you have been searching bodies and rooms.

Also, some guns just plan don't have much ammo available for them. I always kept a revolver and machine gun usually. Also, I would use a shotgun as well.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kanfy posted:

Flamelurker. Holy poo poo. If they hadn't included a shortcut to his boss door there would be a whole bunch more broken controllers in this world. That guy is a fuckin' rear end in a top hat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Flamelurker. Holy poo poo. If they hadn't included a shortcut to his boss door there would be a whole bunch more broken controllers in this world. That guy is a fuckin' rear end in a top hat.
the shortcut was not short enough

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What is the shortcut?

Please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oldpainless posted:

What is the shortcut?

Please.
Turn right, fall down a hole and hope not to die

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If I'm playing Persona 4 for the first time, should I just run in blind and enjoy the ride?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Max posted:

If I'm playing Persona 4 for the first time, should I just run in blind and enjoy the ride?
Yes. A few basic tips, though:
*Fusing new Personas is almost always more effective than trying to grind up your old ones, unless you just need a level or two for some shiny new power.
*Try to keep a wide variety of elemental powers and weaknesses. If you run up against a boss who likes to use, say, fire, and you don't have any Personas who resist fire, you're gonna have a rough battle.
*Follow whatever social links you find interesting. Nanako and Dojima have a shorter time limit than several others, though.
*There's a couple 'fake out' endings near the end. As a general tip, the biggest theme of the game is looking past comfortable lies to see uncomfortable truths. So, if you feel like something doesn't add up, or there's some holes in the story's ending, there probably are.
*One in particular is hidden behind taking the right choices in a dialogue tree near the end game, about 15 minutes out from a save point, so to save you some grief: Wait a second here.../We're missing something./SPOILER's true feelings./Something's been bothering me./We're missing something.../Calm the hell down!. It's worth seeing the bad ending/trying to figure it out on your own once or twice, but after that, it's just way too tedious to keep trying over and over.

It's pretty much impossible to permanently screw anything up except maxing out certain social links, though, so just have fun and go along for the ride.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 23, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All the commute jobs have an s-link associated with them while the hospital has a second that comes later.

The Fox and Rise are probably the most important s-links because their abilities make dungeons a hundred times easier. Initiating the Fox's quest takes no time, turning it in does. You also want to start him early because a few of his revolve around the school which closes for a month not long after the Fox appears.

In most games instant death and status effects are useless. In Persona they're amazing. If an enemy is weak to light/dark you basically have a 99% chance to instantly kill them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Buffs and debuff are also extremely useful. Izanagi can learn Rakunda which debuffs defense, make sure that move carries over when you fuse it, because it really helps in boss fights.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of buffs, attack and defense buffs mean BOTH magic and physical. Same goes for debuffs. I went the entire game ignoring buffs because I though they were only useful for physical as the game makes a distinction in your stats. There are charge abilities that are unique between physical and magic but they also stack with attack buffs and elemental boost skills.

Basically you can raise your damage through multiple sources.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 23, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Charge moves work differently though because Power Charge only buffs your next physical attack while Mind Charge only buffs Magic. As al-ahazad said the Taru- buffs buff all forms of attack and can stack with a Charge move.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max posted:

Copy/pasting myself from waaay back in the thread, for some basic stuff to help get you started;

• The first major boss can be a pain. The game will ease up after it and you'll have a much better time. It's just a nasty hurdle across all difficulty levels.

• Play on Easy Mode. The game will still throw a challenge your way, but it'll mean you won't have to constantly grind to keep up and it'll free some days for S.Links. If you want to go more heavily in dungeon-running for level grinding, start it on Normal instead.

• Use rainy days to study, preferably with a friend. You'll get double points for it and quite a few points in that person's S.Link.

• Alternatively; go take the Beef Bowl Challenge at the restaurant on a rainy day. You're going to fail it (you need maxed ranks in everything to beat it), but it'll increase all your personal social stats.

• You should work on keeping your S-links balanced amongst your entire group as the first rank gives a very useful skill - they'll eat a fatal blow for the MC.

• Never ever waste a day by going straight home. There's always an S.Link or a part-time job available somewhere (and some are only available on Sundays, so don't waste those on dungeon-running).

• You might feel rushed with having to go in to rescue someone, but you have a good month or so before there's a long stretch of rain that will bring fog (your friends will tell you on the way to school if it's THE final stretch when there's a few days of rain in the forecast)

• Fuse Personae constantly. When you obtain one it gets recorded in the Compendium, so you can always just pay to get one out again for fusing something else. Never focus on one element either, make sure you have a balanced party (Thunder's or Wind's a good thing to bring.), and always have something packing the spells Dekunda (clear party debuffs) and Dekaja (wipes enemy stat buffs) in your persona group or amongst your Party (Yosuke learns Dekaja early on).

• Don't bother trying to complete every single S.Link, just stick with the ones that interest you. It's borderline impossible even with your social stats maxed in a New Game Plus and every single day planned out.

• Chie stops learning Ice moves after Bufula and starts focusing exclusively on Physical moves. Keep her in the party for an absolute powerhouse late-game.

• Grind out Intelligence as much as you can, and try to score top of your class in the Mid and End-of-Year exams. If you can come top of the year level in the results, talk to Nanako that evening and you'll get an SP-Cost-Reducing accessory as a reward.

• Check the refrigerator every night. You'll sometimes find something to eat, or have the opportunity to make lunch for the following day. Eating whatever you find will give a Courage boost, and making lunch will give you the opportunity to share it with a friend of your choice the following day for an S.Link boost (the amount boosted depends on how well you completed the recipe's multi-choice questions).

• Increase your Understanding whenever you have a chance to, and always pick Nanako or Dojima to spend time with in the evening if either of them pops up. They don't actually become available all that often.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I disagree with the Easy Mode part. One of the coolest things about the Persona games is they are actually somewhat difficult.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Don't play on Easy. P4's not a hard game in general, but you can straight up sleepwalk through Easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I disagree with the Easy Mode part. One of the coolest things about the Persona games is they are actually somewhat difficult.

I generally just put that in because the game can squash you if you don't know the full ins-and-outs of press-turns and accidentally get something Reflected in your face. But yeah, if you want the game out to put up a fight it should definitely be upped to Normal.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real, I played it on Hard and the difficulty felt pretty average. As a whole, I'd recommending not making what is already a simple and menu-based genre duller by removing all semblance of danger and risk. It's what keeps it fun, in my opinion.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Do not play Persona 4 on easy, as far as SMT games go it is already extremely kind to the player and the whole feast-or-famine gameplay is kind of a hallmark of the series and the backbone of other mechanics, like fusion.

Speaking of, I really cannot stress, as other people in the thread have done, that you should always always always be fusing, as not fusing often is the typical rookie SMT mistake. This isn't Pokemon, your Persona (demons in other SMT games) are not your friends and exist to be sacrificed at the alter of killing things harder, which you can really only do by making newer, stronger Persaonae.

Very often this will result in you having to make a brief sacrifice for longer-term gain, as new Personas will typically need a couple of extra levels to start getting their best skills. If you find yourself thinking, "well, this Persona's getting a little behind, but I really like this one skill they have and nothing I can fuse looks good," gently caress it, find some chump Persona to fuse the drat thing with anyway and create a higher-level demon to inherit the skill.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The skills demons inherit change when you go out of the fusion screen and back in, so if they aren't getting the skill you want back out (not all the way) and try again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Luckily that got booted in P4G and you can now choose whatever skills you want during fusion.

Normal is the best way to go, the game is already pretty easy. Hard is a little annoying though because the beginning is so tedious and stingy with regards to experience gains.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Luckily that got booted in P4G and you can now choose whatever skills you want during fusion.

Normal is the best way to go, the game is already pretty easy. Hard is a little annoying though because the beginning is so tedious and stingy with regards to experience gains.

But if the forecast says you'll learn a skill and you have no empty slots you'll lose a random skill which can be a ball crusher when Megidolaon turns into loving Enervation or something.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks for all the responses! I had already picked Normal and had made it through the "Tutorial" portion when I posted (Chie was saved, and suddenly things opened up and I didn't know what to do.)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

al-azad posted:

But if the forecast says you'll learn a skill and you have no empty slots you'll lose a random skill which can be a ball crusher when Megidolaon turns into loving Enervation or something.

You bring up a good point: always save before you do your fusions in case you gently caress up/get hosed over.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm playing the original Dead Space blind, and I figured hard wouldn't be that bad.
Fast forward 1 hour and New Arrivals being cleared later, help

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm playing the original Dead Space blind, and I figured hard wouldn't be that bad.

There is a wiki entry. It has a lot of conflicting advice about which weapons are best, but all that means is that most of them are tenable.

Off the top of my head:
-Plasma Cutter and Line Gun are personal favorites because they tear limbs off so good, but give them all a try and find two, maybe three that work for you and ditch the rest, as ammo spawns based on what guns you're toting and ain't nobody got inventory room for all that.
-Secondary fire is a Thing and you'll want to experiment with each one before you start panic-shooting.
-The game has a DOOM "monster closet" design philosophy and beyond the usual air vent-lurking baddies, the game will sometimes spawn monsters in previously cleared areas. Be wary basically all the time; if you haven't been back to an area in a while, treat it like you're there for the first time.
-Sell everything you don't need and buy nodes and suits. You don't need tons of ammo or more than 3 or 4 medkits. You probably don't need O2 canisters. Kinesis and Stasis refills are just free money.
-Upgrade that suit first, and your weapons next. Don't feel bad if you end up savescumming the node-locked doors. Most of them are just closets full of loot, which is useful until it isn't.

im cute fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 25, 2015

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Smash every dead body. It's fun as poo poo.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Smash every dead body. It's fun as poo poo.

In any game with zombie type things I ALWAYS put a round or two into bodies on the floor, you know, just in case.

Thanks for the words about Diablo 3, there's still ALOT of poo poo I don't understand but overall it's pretty decent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All of Dead Space's weapons are good in their own right except the flamethrower. I have no idea how you can gently caress up a flamethrower but they did.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

You get ammo for the guns you are carrying. So don't carry guns you don't like to use.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

juliuspringle posted:

In any game with zombie type things I ALWAYS put a round or two into bodies on the floor, you know, just in case.

Thanks for the words about Diablo 3, there's still ALOT of poo poo I don't understand but overall it's pretty decent.

Don't shoot corpses. Use the ranged grabby thing. If you can't grab a corpae its a monster.

Stamp all corpses you see

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If you want to game the system, you can run back to a store in order to sell poo poo if your inventory is full. I wouldn't recommended because a) it's boring and kills the pace and b) makes the game easier, but building a cash reserve to splurge in medkits/ammo/tk serum can help brute force a section if it's too difficult for you. And allows you to break the game over your knee by buying upgrade materials, if that's what you want.

I'd suggest playing it on Hard, because it makes ammo more scarce and makes the game feel more survival horror than 3rd person shooter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

Dead Space is a weird game where if you shoot the zombie things where you normally would (head, torso,) you are going to be punished for it. Your foot is surprisingly powerful, use it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any quick tips for Monster Hunter 4? I've put about 5 hours in, done all the basic quests, but I feel like I'm still lost, haven't even touched anything like status effects or traps or bait, can't even decide which weapon to stick with although Sword and Shield seems most easy to understand so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paco650 posted:

There is a wiki entry. It has a lot of conflicting advice about which weapons are best, but all that means is that most of them are tenable.

Off the top of my head:
-Plasma Cutter and Line Gun are personal favorites because they tear limbs off so good, but give them all a try and find two, maybe three that work for you and ditch the rest, as ammo spawns based on what guns you're toting and ain't nobody got inventory room for all that.
-Secondary fire is a Thing and you'll want to experiment with each one before you start panic-shooting.
-The game has a DOOM "monster closet" design philosophy and beyond the usual air vent-lurking baddies, the game will sometimes spawn monsters in previously cleared areas. Be wary basically all the time; if you haven't been back to an area in a while, treat it like you're there for the first time.
-Sell everything you don't need and buy nodes and suits. You don't need tons of ammo or more than 3 or 4 medkits. You probably don't need O2 canisters. Kinesis and Stasis refills are just free money.
-Upgrade that suit first, and your weapons next. Don't feel bad if you end up savescumming the node-locked doors. Most of them are just closets full of loot, which is useful until it isn't.

Shoot off an arm and the opposite leg on the standard Slashers and they'll fall over dead instantly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Ramagamma posted:

Any quick tips for Monster Hunter 4? I've put about 5 hours in, done all the basic quests, but I feel like I'm still lost, haven't even touched anything like status effects or traps or bait, can't even decide which weapon to stick with although Sword and Shield seems most easy to understand so far.

Quick tips are hard because there is so much there... Hit up the megathread when you get a chance.

Even still!

Just ignore bait. In over 500+ lifetime MH hours, I've never seen anyone use the bait. Traps essentially hold monsters in place so you can wail on them, but it's generally best to just use yourself as bait.

Check out this series of videos for weapons: Gaijin Hunter

He does AMAZING breakdowns of all the weapons. Focus on picking an awesome one and sticking with it. Sword and Shield is great because there's no real gimmicks to them. The Hammer is the same way, though it's a little slow and you can't block. The lance is also basic, but you're SUPER slow.

Just get yourself comfortable with a weapon or two. People compare the combat to Dark Souls because it's so deliberate and you really have to commit to your actions. The temptation is to go in and go nuts on the monsters, but you have to be careful. Once they click, you'll be hooked and it will be worth putting in the time to learn the rest of it.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ramagamma posted:

ugh :effort:

Read the wiki and the guides already posted and linked and if you still have questions about specifics go to the Monster Hunter thread where people are constantly asking the same things.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 25, 2015