Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I just wanted to post to say I bought Sennheiser HD 439's on advice of this thread, and they're awesome! The sound is good, they're extremely comfortable, and my fears about the detachable cable proved groundless, as it's still so well-attached I've yet to actually get it out of its socket despite trying.

Thanks guys, really good purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What's a better bang for my buck - the Beats HD Solo for $85 (original msrp $200) or the House of Marley Exodus for $50 (original msrp $100ish)? I'd use them for occasional gaming and music that is not particularly bass-heavy. Either way, I don't expect to use them for long periods of time, so I'm leaning toward the Marleys because they seem nice enough and are cheaper.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Bob Socko posted:

What's a better bang for my buck - the Beats HD Solo for $85 (original msrp $200) or the House of Marley Exodus for $50 (original msrp $100ish)? I'd use them for occasional gaming and music that is not particularly bass-heavy. Either way, I don't expect to use them for long periods of time, so I'm leaning toward the Marleys because they seem nice enough and are cheaper.

The Beats Solo HD2 for $85 would be a good price, if it's the Solo 1 I wouldn't take them for $10 unless I was able to resell them. The Exodus got a decent review from Tyll. $50 seems like a solid price for them.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I got a big tax refund and am anticipating a sizable bonus from work, so I'm taking the CIEM plunge on a pair of CustomArt Music Twos (will be my first custom pair, as an upgrade from my current five-year-old Shure SE310s.) Will post trip report in like 20 years when I actually get the fuckers.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for heaphones solely to wear while jogging. After reading this article I've found both a wired and wireless set that look good, and I'm leaning towards something wireless so I don't have a cord beating me while I run. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I can't say I care much about sound, more about them not falling out or becoming annoying, but if there's something that sounds and works better around $50 (I could be convinced to go up to $100 for a good reason) I'm interested.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm looking for headphones solely to wear while jogging. After reading this article I've found both a wired and wireless set that look good, and I'm leaning towards something wireless so I don't have a cord beating me while I run. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I can't say I care much about sound, more about them not falling out or becoming annoying, but if there's something that sounds and works better around $50 (I could be convinced to go up to $100 for a good reason) I'm interested.

I'm actually looking at the LG Tone Pro headphones. My friend got some as a gift and cant say enough good things about them.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 17, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

b0nes posted:

I'm actually looking at the LG Tone Pro headphones. My friend got some as a gift and cant say enough good things about them.

If you can get them, the LG Tone Plus, one model earlier, have identical sound quality as far as I can hear and much better button placement, and can be had much cheaper.

Edit: Refurb LG Tone for $32, I'd get that instead if it were me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B009A5204K/sr=8-1/qid=1424180757/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished&qid=1424180757&sr=8-1

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 17, 2015

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nerobro posted:

I use a pair of cheap metal body, rubber cup, earbuds, that I molded into silicone. I"ll post some pictures in a moment here. The silicone molds make it so I can lay on my ears with no discomfort whatsoever.

I never even thought about using those silicone molds for comfort reasons, only isolation. I think I will have to try this out. Thanks!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

If you can get them, the LG Tone Plus, one model earlier, have identical sound quality as far as I can hear and much better button placement, and can be had much cheaper.

Edit: Refurb LG Tone for $32, I'd get that instead if it were me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B009A5204K/sr=8-1/qid=1424180757/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished&qid=1424180757&sr=8-1

Works for me, thanks for the info

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ddogflex posted:

I never even thought about using those silicone molds for comfort reasons, only isolation. I think I will have to try this out. Thanks!

It surprised the heck out of me when I discovered that property of the molded earphones. I'd like to see the result of what you do!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Midorka posted:

I've not heard them, but maybe the InEar SD-3, though I prefer the more balanced SD-2

Hoo boy. Joker suggested the 1964 Ears V3, so it looks like I need to start saving regardless.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

Hoo boy. Joker suggested the 1964 Ears V3, so it looks like I need to start saving regardless.

Joker has much more iem experience than I do, I'd go with his opinion.

Edit: and when I said "I've not heard them," I meant the JVC. I reviewed the sd3 and sd2. I should have the 4 this week.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 17, 2015

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Just ordered it, used my birthday Amazon balance. Now I just need to worry about the earbuds slipping off. I had gotten some SkullCandy's at the T-Mobile store for free because they took forever with my order, but they won't stay in my ears.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

b0nes posted:

Just ordered it, used my birthday Amazon balance. Now I just need to worry about the earbuds slipping off. I had gotten some SkullCandy's at the T-Mobile store for free because they took forever with my order, but they won't stay in my ears.

All the LG Tones mercifully include three sizes of ear buds, so that's a plus. The design makes it hard for the cords to get yanked while running around too. I use the largest size and sometimes they'll loosen a bit so they're not forming a perfect seal but they never totally fall out.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I have a pair of Audio-Technica M50s that I absolutely adore, accidental straight cord purchase and all, but they're a bit too big to put in my backpack and I feel like jamming them in my bag on a daily basis wouldn't exactly be great for them. Also the cord tangles with anything wired. I have a cheap pair of JVC earbuds currently, but they hurt to wear and the sound quality isn't that great, so I'm looking for a nicer pair of earbuds/IEMs.

Budget - $80 or less, preferably below $50 as these are secondary, but if more money is gonna make a big enough difference I'm fine going up to $80.
Source - Netbook, Nintendo 3DS.
Isolation Requirements - Not particularly for these. Would like people to not be able to hear what I'm listening to, though.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM/Earbuds
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not too bass heavy, otherwise I have no idea.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, I love everything about them. JFC-H150 is what I'm currently using as my travel pair, and they're painful to wear, and the sound is not the best, and feels like it is being outputted in a lower quality than what I'm used to.
Preferred Music - Just about everything, also I'll be listening to a lot of shows and films if that changes anything.

[Edited with the format]

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 18, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everythingWasBees posted:

I have a pair of Audio-Technica M50s that I absolutely adore, accidental straight cord purchase and all, but they're a bit too big to put in my backpack and I feel like jamming them in my bag on a daily basis wouldn't exactly be great for them. Also the cord tangles with anything wired. I have a cheap pair of JVC earbuds currently, but they hurt to wear and the sound quality isn't that great, so I'm looking for a nicer pair of earbuds/IEMs.

Budget - $80 or less, preferably below $50 as these are secondary, but if more money is gonna make a big enough difference I'm fine going up to $80.
Source - Netbook, Nintendo 3DS.
Isolation Requirements - Not particularly for these. Would like people to not be able to hear what I'm listening to, though.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM/Earbuds
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not too bass heavy, otherwise I have no idea.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, I love everything about them. JFC-H150 is what I'm currently using as my travel pair, and they're painful to wear, and the sound is not the best, and feels like it is being outputted in a lower quality than what I'm used to.
Preferred Music - Just about everything, also I'll be listening to a lot of shows and films if that changes anything.

[Edited with the format]

I'm personally not a huge fan of ear-buds because I don't really like having things IN my ears. Of the earbuds I have owned I would recommend to the Klipsch S4s. IMO they're the best earbuds I've ever owned - IIRC I was blown away with how accurate and clean the bass was and the earbud itself had a weird oval shape to it that stayed in my ear and closed out almost all outside noise. They're about 50$ on Amazon right now.

I just picked up a pair of Koss pro 4aa's for 20$ from my college radio station and they're awesome but pretty uncomfortable. Anyone else have a solution to this? Would thicker pads help?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Klipsch S4s aren't particularly good IEMs for the money. Take a look at the Vsonic VSD3S

grack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 18, 2015

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Audio Technica m50x are on sale for $129: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Pulled the trigger on these. I wish the Green color existed now but I can live with black.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x , Sennheiser HD 439 , or Sennheiser HD 518?

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
Edit: I'm dumb and didn't format my post.

Budget: $50-$100
Source: PC(onboard)
Preferred Type: Looking to try open/semi open
Past Headphones: Bad gaming headsets, earpods
Music: Mostly classical

I'm basically looking for something in the <$100 space; my intended use is mainly as a gaming headset via the Mod Mic I just picked up. Closed ear headphones have always kinda bothered me and I'd like to try something open/semi open. I was eyeing the Superlux HD668B; is this a good choice for gaming in the <$100 price bracket?

Valithan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 20, 2015

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I bought a pair of Senheiser HD280s and I'm loving the sound, exactly what I wanted. Did I make a terrible choice?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

drat NIGGA posted:

I bought a pair of Senheiser HD280s and I'm loving the sound, exactly what I wanted. Did I make a terrible choice?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

It's a great choice at its price point.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ntan1 posted:

It's a great choice at its price point.

It's actually a hugely poor value in 2015. The likes of the NVX XPT100 nullify any reason I can see to buy any other "studio monitoring" headphone in the $100 range imo.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 19, 2015

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I had the HD280's for years and loved them until recently when they became uncomfortable due to all the padding wearing away. Never had an issue with the sound. I bought the ATH-50x on sale yesterday and got them this morning. After listening all morning I really, really like them. The ear cups are a bit smaller than the HD280's so I don't know if that will end up pissing me off later on but the sound is great and they are much more comfortable so far. I like the swappable cables too.

Actually to add to this, the HD280's are kind of unbreakable. I used to use them as speakers on my desk at home when I didn't have PC speakers. They can get that loud and not have any problems. Yeah...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had a pair of HD280 PROs for awhile. If you can get them for around $50, I'd say they're not bad. But they're bulky and uncomfortable. And the foam pads wear out quick.

They did get me into higher-end audio, though, so i have a bit of a soft spot for them.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
They were $80 at Fry's, which was $5 more than on Amazon. Yeah they're a little tight, but I like the sound a lot.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

grack posted:

The Klipsch S4s aren't particularly good IEMs for the money. Take a look at the Vsonic VSD3S

Those look absolutely fantastic. As an aside, do you know anything about the Vsonic VSD5 that was just released? It's like ten dollars more and I'm wondering if I should get that one instead.

Also are there a bunch of bootlegs for this or anything I should be worrying about when ordering from Amazon?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
HD280s have the shittiest low-range. It's just not there at all. I feel like I have 90s computer speakers strapped to my head. Oh, and they're uncomfortable as gently caress. So they have about nothing going for them. I really have no clue why people have recommended them for years.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Works for me, thanks for the info

I used them for the first time yesterday, and they weren't too bad. They fit in my ears with the smaller rubber pieces which is nice, but the volume buttons appear to control the headphone volume, not the phone's volume, which I found odd. The forward / backward song buttons also only had the effect of pausing my music for a second, but that could be a problem with PowerAmp. The neck piece didn't feel like it was moving around which is great, so overall I think they'll work for what I want.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Those look absolutely fantastic. As an aside, do you know anything about the Vsonic VSD5 that was just released? It's like ten dollars more and I'm wondering if I should get that one instead.

Also are there a bunch of bootlegs for this or anything I should be worrying about when ordering from Amazon?

Lend Me Ur Ears is an authorised reseller. I haven't had a chance to try the VSD5, unfortunately.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am upping my air travel a whole lot nowadays and I can't hear a lot of movie dialogue off of my iPad when using my Sony Gold Wireless headset due to the constant din of the plane. I think that means I am a good candidate for noise canceling. What is a good one? Not looking to go above $250 on that.

Of course if I could achieve similar results with in canal buds then maybe I could go $80 for some nice ones that seal well, but being able to zone out and not listen to anything when seated next to an engine would be nice.

clq
Aug 8, 2014
This space intentionally left blank.
Hi! I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10s which I have had since 2011, and which I am actually quite happy with. I got them for 220 pounds (about 340 USD) at the time.
While I still like them, my needs have changed a little. I increasingly need to use them when travelling, and the UEs stick too far out of my ear to be practical for resting in airplane seats, etc.

Looking at the past few pages of this thread, the InEar StageDiver SD-2s look very interesting. I've also been incredibly tempted by custom fit IEMs in the past, and the 1964 Ears V3s look very nice...

I'm still not completely sold on whether I want to buy new headphones at all, but I'd be extremely grateful for comments on the above, as well as any other suggestions anyone might have,

Budget - 350 - 400 USD (unless I convince myself otherwise)
Source - Various portable music players, possibly the odd USB DAC/Computer, maybe a phone.
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like bass, but I'm more picky about the mid-range. I'm not a fan of bass-heavy, and it annoys me when the treble feels like it is being drowned out.
Past Headphones - I've been through Shure E2C, E3C, SE210, and now have a pair of UE Triple fi 10.
Preferred Music - Mostly old rock: Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, Dire Straits and so on, and some classical. Though I listen to other stuff as well, so I would prefer "general purpose" to something with a bias toward a style.

Also note, for the sake of shipping, that I live in Norway. As far as I can see this complicates my possibility of getting custom molds a little.

I realise "SD-2 vs. V3" is a little all over the map, but I'm still at a point where I'm trying to figure out what I want.

Also, ear molds: Are these universal? The next time I go to the US or the UK (or even here in Oslo), can I go somewhere and pay to get my ears molded, and get a model I can send off to someone like 1964 in the future? Or do manufacturers require me to go to certain places they work with and get the mold done?

I'm leaning towards the SD-2s at the moment, but since I'm hoping to use whatever I buy now for many years, I'm also entertaining the idea of splashing out and getting a pair of 1964 V3s. However, I have just started looking into this, and would really appreciate any input anyone might have. Thanks!

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Budget - ~$100 maybe up to ~150
Source - Phone, Laptop, iPod
Preferred Type of Headphone - On or over the ear. Prefer something light and not super tight on my head (my brother has a pair of the original Beats HD Solo's, and these two aspects really impressed me with them.)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably something balanced? I don't really know.
Past Headphones - lovely ones.
Preferred Music - Rock, Metal, Punk, Rap.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

clq posted:

Hi! I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10s which I have had since 2011, and which I am actually quite happy with. I got them for 220 pounds (about 340 USD) at the time.
While I still like them, my needs have changed a little. I increasingly need to use them when travelling, and the UEs stick too far out of my ear to be practical for resting in airplane seats, etc.

Looking at the past few pages of this thread, the InEar StageDiver SD-2s look very interesting. I've also been incredibly tempted by custom fit IEMs in the past, and the 1964 Ears V3s look very nice...

I'm still not completely sold on whether I want to buy new headphones at all, but I'd be extremely grateful for comments on the above, as well as any other suggestions anyone might have,

Budget - 350 - 400 USD (unless I convince myself otherwise)
Source - Various portable music players, possibly the odd USB DAC/Computer, maybe a phone.
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like bass, but I'm more picky about the mid-range. I'm not a fan of bass-heavy, and it annoys me when the treble feels like it is being drowned out.
Past Headphones - I've been through Shure E2C, E3C, SE210, and now have a pair of UE Triple fi 10.
Preferred Music - Mostly old rock: Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, Dire Straits and so on, and some classical. Though I listen to other stuff as well, so I would prefer "general purpose" to something with a bias toward a style.

Also note, for the sake of shipping, that I live in Norway. As far as I can see this complicates my possibility of getting custom molds a little.

I realise "SD-2 vs. V3" is a little all over the map, but I'm still at a point where I'm trying to figure out what I want.

Also, ear molds: Are these universal? The next time I go to the US or the UK (or even here in Oslo), can I go somewhere and pay to get my ears molded, and get a model I can send off to someone like 1964 in the future? Or do manufacturers require me to go to certain places they work with and get the mold done?

I'm leaning towards the SD-2s at the moment, but since I'm hoping to use whatever I buy now for many years, I'm also entertaining the idea of splashing out and getting a pair of 1964 V3s. However, I have just started looking into this, and would really appreciate any input anyone might have. Thanks!

I haven't heard either of those iems (look up joker's extensive review work) but can speak to the custom molds for iems. The material used to make these tends to shrink over time, so don't plan on keeping them. Some manufacturers will keep the negatives or something on file if you want to re order and at least the ones with which I am familiar charge for that storage. I think a few places are moving to digital impressions and manufacturing, which makes all that moot.

If isolation is important, consider getting a pair of silicone customs instead of acrylic. I have acrylic customs and they isolate well, but I believe silicone does an even better job of isolation but can get hot or sweaty over long periods of time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What's the cheapest way to get multi driver IEMs?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Why do you need multiple drivers? I know the driver count war was a thing for a while, but a lot of newer drivers have come out and sound great with fewer actual drivers than a few years ago.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why do you need multiple drivers? I know the driver count war was a thing for a while, but a lot of newer drivers have come out and sound great with fewer actual drivers than a few years ago.

Need, want, want to try.. all different things. I just picked up VSonic VDS3's, and while i'm still sorting them out, I want to see what the "next step" is like. I'm not above getting a crossover and molding several sets of drivers into the same resin/silcone casting... but really I'd prefer to avoid that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nerobro posted:

The absolute cheapest?

You can get a set of Samsung HS330 IEMS for about $10 off of Amazon and they're dual dynamics. Of course they aren't particularly good, either.

If you want the cheapest worthwhile multi driver IEMs, the JVC FXT90s are highly regarded but they aren't much of an upgrade on the VSD3S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Nerobro posted:

I quite liked the Apple Dual Driver IEMs, you could find them used in like new condition for $40 or so.