Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Macys posted:

How common is it though? The only time I've ever heard the word was Police Academy 1; a thirty-one year old film.

You obviously never met my Father.

VitalSigns posted:

Why do people always have to play the race card at the Oscars? Stop being so politically correct, just because the movie you liked wasn't nominated that doesn't mean it's a racist plot to...oh my God, American Sniper didn't win every single award in every category, I knew it Hollywood is in league with the terrorists in a vicious scheme to wreck America!

They're even worse than Batman and Star Wars fans. My God, this actually a thing, isn't it?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Edit: double post

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

historic war movie

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

tbh I thought Eastwood was loving senile after his speech at the RNC.

most liberals found it laughable but I felt very sad for the man.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Popular Thug Drink posted:

not as long as turkey is a key member of NATO

Even if it just took a chunk out of Syria? I'm no expert on Turkey.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

bpower posted:

most liberals found it laughable but I felt very sad for the man.

I didn't, he's obviously of sound enough mind to at least direct a film and do all the poo poo surrounding that super difficult undertaking. He's just a poo poo improviser with the hubris to believe he isn't a poo poo improviser, in a magical moment where none of the mass of people between him and a national audience (including a presidential candidate and his entire team) had the smarts or balls to say "You know, we love you Clint but this is just not the time to go off script".

I mean plenty of crazy assholes can direct the poo poo out of a film (hello Ridley Scott), but not a lot of straight up senile people can.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Do you register brain wave activity of any kind? Are you presentable? Will you turn on your own people for mentions? We have openings now!
TBF Jello can register brain activity so even that's not a point in her favor.

Rexicon1 posted:

I'd turn on my race instantaneously for like a nice lunch.
poo poo, in the event of a RaHoWa I'd turn on whitey for klondike bar.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What I don't get is why those on the right are so offended/looking for affirmation from "The Oscars"?

Like what would have been their reaction had it actually won? Would that have suddenly made one inkling of a difference in regards to their Jane Fonda/Michael Hollywood Strawman they've created?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I didn't, he's obviously of sound enough mind to at least direct a film and do all the poo poo surrounding that super difficult undertaking. He's just a poo poo improviser with the hubris to believe he isn't a poo poo improviser, in a magical moment where none of the mass of people between him and a national audience (including a presidential candidate and his entire team) had the smarts or balls to say "You know, we love you Clint but this is just not the time to go off script".

I mean plenty of crazy assholes can direct the poo poo out of a film (hello Ridley Scott), but not a lot of straight up senile people can.

In the moment I just saw a lost old man. But you're correct and a bit of critical thinking at the time would've lead me to the correct conclusion quicker.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Like any of those fuckers even saw any of the other movies nominated.

"Wah the best of the whole two loving movies I saw all year didn't win award. Hollywood ELITE!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh: Obama is clearly not a Christian because he supports infanticide....

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/scott-walker-was-too-nice-its-incredibly-obvious-that-barack-obama-isnt-a-christian/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Old White Men with Law Degrees even.

The Oppressed CEO Billionaire Class.

The 1% is, by definition a minority, so...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Like any of those fuckers even saw any of the other movies nominated.

"Wah the best of the whole two loving movies I saw all year didn't win award. Hollywood ELITE!"

Neil Cavuto was offended that Argo won Best Picture over Zero Dark Thirty

"Hollywood just used it to pat itself on the back AND NOT HONOR OUR TROOPS!"

Except the movie has more so to do with the actions of CIA, and members of the US, and Canadian Embassies in Iran. Anybody who would have bothered to watch it? Would have seen that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rexicon1 posted:

Even if it just took a chunk out of Syria? I'm no expert on Turkey.

like half of proto-Kurdistan is in Turkey, the US could support a rump Kurd state but it would massively piss off the Turks

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Kurdish-inhabited_area_by_CIA_%281992%29.jpg

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They're professional crybabies. If American Sniper won everything they would've complained that Lady GaGa didn't clap hard enough about it.

Edit: And they act like finding out the Oscars and other award shows are a bunch of pablum bullshit is some :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What I don't get is why those on the right are so offended/looking for affirmation from "The Oscars"?

Like what would have been their reaction had it actually won? Would that have suddenly made one inkling of a difference in regards to their Jane Fonda/Michael Hollywood Strawman they've created?

They would have crowed that even pussy liberal Hollywood bowed to the will of the people to respect and honour such a courageous soldier.

But we all know Hannity et al wanted American Sniper not to win because they prefer their faux outrage.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Has anyone ever asked a conservative pundit why, if Hollywood hated them so much, would the movie have been nominated for so many awards in the first place?

Surely if the right is so persecuted, Hollywood would have blackballed Clint Eastwood long ago and he wouldn't have even had the opportunity to make his movie, let alone have it in the running for Best Picture.

I eagerly await the non-existent answers to these questions that the media will never ask :allears:

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 23, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American Sniper is a horrible movie and as awful as Hollywood is, it's still nice when they are able to not give a poo poo about Real-America and just award movies and people they think merit it.

Also Selma is cool because black people are the total focus of the Civil Rights movement, as they should be, but I don't care, LBJ was not the bad guy. No Best Film For You.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's plenty of things that don't make sense when poo poo like this happens

Why would liberal hollywood make a movie like this in the first place?
Why do you care so much about what the liberal hollywood club does anyway?
Why should we care when someone who admittedly hasn't seen the other nominees cries about what awards they won?
Why do you get a flop sweat whenever someone talks about Selma?
There's like two Benghazi movies in production right now, BENGHAAAAAAAZZIZIZIZIIZIZIZIIZIZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Rexicon1 posted:

Seeing that big bunch of maps and the way this war is shaking up the entire levant, I wonder if at some point in the near future we see another US backed client state a la Isreal for the Kurds. They've been this weird cause célèbre among the Hawks in Washington as far back as the 70s despite the basis of their identity as "ottomans who disliked the secularization post WWI".

While Americas support for any non-western nation is likely based on stupid reasons, that's a really dumb characterization of Kurdish identity. Especially since Ottoman nationalism was a huge failure and never caught on with anyone.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"I didn't know it was a word" is such a bizarre defense.

"I thought it was literally nonsense which is why I picked it specifically to describe something."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

"I didn't know it was a word" is such a bizarre defense.

"I thought it was literally nonsense which is why I picked it specifically to describe something."

Rick Santorum did not say black people, he said BLAUGH people, are you intentionally lying to slander a Presidential candidate and former Senator?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you paid attention to that program while she was hosting for any amount of time I believe you'd agree with me that it is a plausible defense.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Schizotek posted:

While Americas support for any non-western nation is likely based on stupid reasons, that's a really dumb characterization of Kurdish identity. Especially since Ottoman nationalism was a huge failure and never caught on with anyone.

Didn't we have some kind of obligation to the Kurds since WW2? I thought that played into our support for them now.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

SnakePlissken posted:

Didn't we have some kind of obligation to the Kurds since WW2? I thought that played into our support for them now.

WWI, but yeah. Like a lot of groups, we promised them a country and then chuckled as we drew up plans to turn them into a colony.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Like I said, I'm not an expert in Turkish history. My understanding from a book I read years ago was that after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire the Kurds rejected the secular state turkey was adopting as a whole and the tribal warlords saw the development of a central government as a threat to their power so Kurds kind of segregated themselves from the majority of turkey and iran/iraq.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Schizotek posted:

WWI, but yeah. Like a lot of groups, we promised them a country and then chuckled as we drew up plans to turn them into a colony.

Exactly, we're gaga for imperialism in the Middle East and I could see how the Kurds could be a great client state.

e:lol nvm, apparently the modern Kurdish separatist movement is highly influenced by Marxist philosophy. They will never get a country of their own.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 23, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

weekly font posted:

I think that is actually a case of the anchor just being dumb because she used it to describe possibly the whitest thing at the event.

Gotta be. Don't get much Whiter than Sound of Music.

Rexicon1 posted:

e:lol nvm, apparently the modern Kurdish separatist movement is highly influenced by Marxist philosophy. They will never get a country of their own.

This is why we pretty much hung them out to dry in that Turkish border town that was under siege a few months back.

They were a straight up Marxist Leninist party that reformed to one with a more nationalist character.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 23, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Like I said, I'm not an expert in Turkish history. My understanding from a book I read years ago was that after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire the Kurds rejected the secular state turkey was adopting as a whole and the tribal warlords saw the development of a central government as a threat to their power so Kurds kind of segregated themselves from the majority of turkey and iran/iraq.

Well it was certainly a major cause for hostility, as was the severe and frequently violent Turkish nationalism, it just wasn't the basis for identity. Their language(Indo-European) alone is enough to make them more distinct from Arabs(afro-semetic) and Turks(Turkic) than the French are from Russians. The general way of managing them up to that point had been to basically ignore them and let them do their thing, because Kurdistan is a mountainous meatgrinder for invading armies. So even if they weren't always in full-on rebellion mode, they've always been fairly distinct as an ethnic group.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

fade5 posted:

Not sorry for the giant post, because the Kurds are loving awesome, and here is an irrefutable answer to how the US has managed to help stop ISIL in Syria without sending in US ground troops.
Oh okay, I've in fact seen the Tel Shair Hill gif a few times but I didn't know that's what Shbobd was referring to.

A good post, thank you. I haven't been following the Kobani campaign or really the ME thread in general so I appreciate the summary. The US has been airstriking the poo poo out of ISIL since like last summer so it's bizarre and frustrating to hear idiots say stuff like "Why is Canada getting involved before the US??"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtirCf-RfU

This little turd has over 100k views for some reason.

He sounds just like every loving southern born racist in North Carolina or Texas. I have hope for this young man. He's either trolling (looks unlikely) or he's indoctrinated and will outgrow it like all the other conservative wunderkinds. I hope. Right?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Hazo posted:

Oh okay, I've in fact seen the Tel Shair Hill gif a few times but I didn't know that's what Shbobd was referring to.

A good post, thank you. I haven't been following the Kobani campaign or really the ME thread in general so I appreciate the summary. The US has been airstriking the poo poo out of ISIL since like last summer so it's bizarre and frustrating to hear idiots say stuff like "Why is Canada getting involved before the US??"
You're welcome. Yeah the "Obama/US isn't doing anything to fight ISIL" talking point has been making the rounds in the Political Cartoon thread for a while now, and ISIL burning that Jordanian pilot alive seems to have brought it back to the forefront among Republican hacks. It really boils down to "Obama can't be doing a good job fighting ISIL because he's black a Democrat a black Muslim communist Kenyan not sending in US troops like Bush did and loving everything up worse not turning the Middle East into a glass parking lot" and more than that, he's making the Republicans look bad.:ohdear:

So the Republicans have decided to just pretend that Obama's not doing anything to fight ISIL, and take his statements about ISIL out of context (see the whole ISIL and no jobs thing). Meanwhile, the Syrian Kurds are literally naming children Obama in gratitude for all of our airstrikes:

quote:

Suruc (Turkey) (AFP) - Sultan Muslim, a Syrian Kurd, had no doubt what to name her seventh child when he was born, safely in Turkey, after a harrowing month-long flight from her home in Kobane: Obama.

Desperate to flee the flashpoint Syrian border town, the heavily pregnant mother, her husband and six other children made it across the frontier just in time for the boy's arrival. Islamic State (IS) jihadists, accused of widespread atrocities, seized control of the strategic locality and US-led bombing raids launched in the last few weeks have tried to stop their advance. "I gave my son this name from my heart. I will never change this name," the shy 35-year-old said in a refugee camp in Suruc, just inside Turkey. "He dispatched planes, aid for us. Because of his help maybe we will get rid of this cruelty and get back to our homes," she said, cradling her three-day-old son.

Though not the world's first baby named after US President Barack Obama, the choice reflects the relief of many locals who thought help would never come. "We named him Muhammed Obama Muslim," father Mahmut Beko said, in symbolic gratitude for the US assistance to save Kobane. "We want Obama to help us so that we can get back home. We are also human beings. We, the Kurds, attacked whom, fight against whom?" he cried out.

Near Suruc, both Turkish and Syrian Kurds watch from hilltops, breaking out in cheers, whistles and chanting, "Obama, Obama" at each airstrike. "Like the Americans, the whole world should help the Kurds in Kobane. We have no true friends other than the Americans," said Selami Altay, a Turkish Kurd, sitting on a rock watching the battles. Sultan Muslim, meanwhile, said despite all she had an easy birth, taken by ambulance from the tent city to a hospital in Suruc. And despite the miserable conditions and uncertainty, she has dreams for her baby. "The day will come when he grows up and becomes like him (President Obama) and saves people from cruelty. "Nobody helped us, but him," she said.
(Insert sound of Republicans screaming and frothing at the mouth here.)

Oh, and say hi to Muhammed Obama Muslim at three months old in January:

The kid is super cute.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

"We named him Muhammed Obama Muslim,"

heh

*tugs at collar nervously*

thanks

I guess

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Faustus posted:

He sounds just like every loving southern born racist in North Carolina or Texas. I have hope for this young man. He's either trolling (looks unlikely) or he's indoctrinated and will outgrow it like all the other conservative wunderkinds. I hope. Right?

I know an adult like this from North Georgia, same redneck beliefs as the rest of the people in Cleveland, just happens to be black.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fade5 posted:

(Insert sound of Republicans screaming and frothing at the mouth here.)

Oh, and say hi to Muhammed Obama Muslim at three months old in January:

The kid is super cute.:allears:

I want a copy of that kid's birth certificate.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Vargatron posted:

How can you not know what the word "jigaboo" means? Like it has only had one meaning ever.

Well, it's the kind of cutesy racist word that racist people of a certain age started to use after they had kids. "friend of the family," is like a swear word, and they couldn't possibly have their children hearing swear words. That just wouldn't do. "jigaboo," is not a swear, though. It's just innocent talk vis a vis the inferior races their children shouldn't bring home as their prom date. :science:

I find it plausible she had no idea what the real meaning was, but in my opinion that makes it more damning since it exposes the heavy amount of privilege at work in her life. She probably had an aunt or grandma who used that word around her as a dog whistle to the other adults and never discerned the real meaning.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 24, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

VideoTapir posted:

Given that the kid's a Kurd, I wish they'd given him Obama's middle name as well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I have no idea what this word means I just happened to use it in a context that makes quite a bit of sense in a major stroke of bad luck. As a news anchor I often use phrases and words I just hear sometimes on air and don't know what they mean. If you were offenderated I Apollo 13. Klixblorg.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

VideoTapir posted:

"Muslim as all Hell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

"Muslim as all Hell!"

Thanks Obama.