Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Are these GearWrench Ratchets any good? They're not that common in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

max4me posted:

Found this in a tool box i bought on CL

What is it?

Looks like some sort of a spring compressor.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah my guess was valve spring compressor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tumblr.txt posted:

Are these GearWrench Ratchets any good? They're not that common in Australia.

Get the 120XP ones, but yes.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

max4me posted:

Found this in a tool box i bought on CL

What is it?

garlic press

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Manual headlight fluid pump.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

It's for bleeding turn signal fluid.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I think this is vaguely tool-related. What kind of grease do you guys like for suspension? Standard white lithium stuff?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looking at the direction squeezing pulls, i would guess it's some sort of old vacuum pump

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I think this is vaguely tool-related. What kind of grease do you guys like for suspension? Standard white lithium stuff?

Where in the suspension? What kind of brakes do you have, since some grease isn't recommended around disc brakes (because of brake dust I suppose).

Of course - what does the manual recommend?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tamir Lenk posted:

Where in the suspension? What kind of brakes do you have, since some grease isn't recommended around disc brakes (because of brake dust I suppose).

Of course - what does the manual recommend?

The manual probably recommends whatever was available forty years ago :v:. Tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints; that's about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You mean for greasable zerk fittings? Grease is grease, pretty much - the same stuff you'd buy today for wheel bearings works fine for those too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
For zerks, yeah. I figured grease is grease is grease too, but I thought I'd poll the masses.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Black moly grease, yeah. You can get fancy, but for balljoints and poo poo I don't imagine that it matters.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How different is brake grease? I have a bad habit of using brake grease (with moly) for everything.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

How different is brake grease? I have a bad habit of using brake grease (with moly) for everything.

Ive been using it professionally for the past four years. I use it on old lexus's that are squeaking to death and it quieted them down. Ive also used it on explorers that are squeaking from everywhere. It works and it lasts. ALso why does a lexus control arm cost 400$?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SouthsideSaint posted:

Ive been using it professionally for the past four years. I use it on old lexus's that are squeaking to death and it quieted them down. Ive also used it on explorers that are squeaking from everywhere. It works and it lasts. ALso why does a lexus control arm cost 400$?

Nuf said.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Harbor Freight taps and dies are just junk, right? I'm having a hell of a time getting a die to bite reliably into loving aluminum rod.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Yes. Thread cutting is one area where it really isn't worth going cheap.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

For zerks, yeah. I figured grease is grease is grease too, but I thought I'd poll the masses.

Standard EP2 grease. I use wheel bearing grease SPARINGLY on the contact surfaces of brake drum components where they slide against pins or the backing plates because its so thermally stable and only use Moly grease on poo poo that I need to keep moving even if it dries out. Suspension stuff just gets EP2, same as the driveshafts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Parts Kit posted:

Harbor Freight taps and dies are just junk, right? I'm having a hell of a time getting a die to bite reliably into loving aluminum rod.

Absolute garbage... I don't even use em for thread chasing.

See if there is a local used tooling store, they'll probably have a 40lb bucket of $1 used taps. That's how I put together most of my collection, aside from metric stuff, which I buy new on amazon as needed.

Irwin and Vermont American are my favorite tap brands so far but most others are fine as long as you're only using them occasionally. Irwin has some really awesome sets at home depot that have a straight pilot tip instead of a normal tapered tip, it's the same diameter as the drill you use before tapping so the tap sits perfectly straight in the hole without any eyeballing, effort, or a tapping jig. They don't tap as far down a hole as the 3 common variants of taps (taper/starting, plug, and bottoming), but you can always put a plug or bottoming tap in all the way afterwards if you really need the threads to go as far as possible.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Cool, there's a small Irwin set that Lowe's carries that isn't too bad on price and has the main dies I'm likely to need.

I still can't believe I can't get that HF one to reliably bite into loving aluminum.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

I still can't believe I can't get that HF one to reliably bite into loving aluminum.

They aren't great, but they should at least be able to do that when brand new. What size/thread pitch die and what size rod? Sounds like something is off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Powershift posted:

looking at the direction squeezing pulls, i would guess it's some sort of old vacuum pump

Precision muffler bearing puller for small engine work.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Is there any real go-to for engine stands? After browsing summit, jegs and amazon, nothing really stands out as far as user ratings go.

Will the thousand pound harbor freight stand be sturdy enough for an iron headed SBC? I'm not planning on building a lot of engines, so "good enough" to get through this one project is okay.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-69886.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Thelonious posted:

Is there any real go-to for engine stands? After browsing summit, jegs and amazon, nothing really stands out as far as user ratings go.

Will the thousand pound harbor freight stand be sturdy enough for an iron headed SBC? I'm not planning on building a lot of engines, so "good enough" to get through this one project is okay.

I own like 3 of their 4 wheeled stands.

Don't get the 3 wheel ones, unless you love reliant robin behavior and want that in your life if one of the wheels catches on something.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Motronic posted:

They aren't great, but they should at least be able to do that when brand new. What size/thread pitch die and what size rod? Sounds like something is off.
1/4-20 on 1/4" rod. I double checked with a dial caliper beforehand and the rod was over-sized by a few thou so I took some 120 or so grit sandpaper to knock it down before attempting anything. Still no dice.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Haha, my sis was nice enough to pick up a small dewalt tap/die set on her way home since I forgot to get one today while looking at weatherstripping poo poo and sure enough it did the job immediately without any significant effort.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trickle chargers: any recommendations? Under 30 bux preferred

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've used used this battery tender brand one and revived multiple auto batteries from almost totally flat to feeling brand new. I picked it up at a local Costco for about $35 so you might check there first. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but does seem to do a good job at charging. Just be ready for it to take some time to bring a flat battery back--one of mine took almost two full days to recharge.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How horrendous is the Harbor Freight pancake compressor? I have a $40 coupon. I'm looking for something to fill tires and maybe use a blowgun. Carrying the portable air tank to the gas station is getting old.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

mod sassinator posted:

I've used used this battery tender brand one and revived multiple auto batteries from almost totally flat to feeling brand new. I picked it up at a local Costco for about $35 so you might check there first. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but does seem to do a good job at charging. Just be ready for it to take some time to bring a flat battery back--one of mine took almost two full days to recharge.

I have that exact one. Takes forever, but works well. Think I spent $40 bucks at Canadian Tire up here in the frozen north.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

Honestly if you're just float charging a battery I've never gone wrong with the $10-15 (depending on sales) Harbor Freight charger.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I own like 3 of their 4 wheeled stands.

Don't get the 3 wheel ones, unless you love reliant robin behavior and want that in your life if one of the wheels catches on something.

The other great thing about the 4 wheeled ones is they will hold a drip tray pretty nicely so you don't get fluids everywhere during engine tear-down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Till you kick it over by accident, anyways.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE...battery+charger

I have the cord installed on my scooter and I use it to keep the battery in shape. I've also used it for cars and motorcycles. Works great.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Schumacher also makes this if permanent mounting is more your thing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's actually pretty neat. I might pick it up for my E36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Battery tenders are spendy but worth every penny.