Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Their new idea for WvW has turned maguuma into a loot train for WvW where you avoid fights with other players since you don't get as much loot that way.

People may disagree with that but I've seen quite a few groups move away from keeps for easier targets even when there wasn't an invulnerability buff on the keep lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Half-Life 2 is pretty good but the actual shooting component of the game is loving terrible. The vast majority sound terrible, they feel terrible and aren't fun to use at all. Exceptions being the Combine Rifle and Shotgun

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Third World Reggin posted:

Their new idea for WvW has turned maguuma into a loot train for WvW where you avoid fights with other players since you don't get as much loot that way.

People may disagree with that but I've seen quite a few groups move away from keeps for easier targets even when there wasn't an invulnerability buff on the keep lord.

All servers are guilty of doing karma trains, loot badges are too shiny to resist and the karma can go into orrian jewelry boxes. Using all the karma boosts made it reasonably profitable, I'm sure it's changed since. More importantly it doesn't need the proper coordination of a commander and given numbers will overcome small packets of resistance. It is detrimental when people want things done or it drains people from other maps yet the tendency has been catching fairweathers who don't pick up WvW skills needed in serious fights and just grind season achievements.

The organized groups on maguuma tended to operate on different maps altogether and/or run around without a commander tag, avoiding the risk of stragglers and losing the element of surprise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In Race Driver: Grid your car can get all smashed up and bits fall off and so forth, but the wing mirrors seem to be indestructible. It's really weird when your car is smashed to poo poo, no part of it undamaged, but somehow the mirrors are still attached.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nier: The camera decides to cock things up at times. Also the side quests are some tedious bullshit with some of them. This is mostly a complaint because I have some pathological need to do every sidequest in games.

Mana Khemia: Because of how the game progresses, while you can still get through the game way quicker on NG+ runs (to see the alternate endings, and run the bonus dungeon), it still takes waaaay too long to get through things you are way overleveled for at that point. Also good loving luck figuring out which ether levels get which abilities onto things, and whether or not you want to raise or lower it for a particular item. And really good luck getting the ones that are super tight range.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I used to love Pokémon. I played the hell out of the first three generations, I knew competitive builds, the whole shebang. I have a hard time both going back to the original games and getting into the new ones now. They just feel so slow, especially at the beginning. There's this interminable intro, then you meet your rival, then you go to the lab, talk to Professor ???, something dumb happens, you get to pick your Pokémon (finally) and there's probably a fetch quest following that before you get to, you know, kill poo poo and trap poor animals. Then, after that, you're stuck with a slow walkspeed and high encounter rates for the longest time, and if you want to level your party equally (or use a specific Poké) you have to grind and grind and...HMs were a terrible idea too - it either kills an attack slot on one of your main Pokés or a team slot for an HM slave. Now, I haven't played Black/White or X/Y, and I've been told they fixed the HM issue/some of the leveling ones. So this might be a little dated, but...

Binding of Isaac could have used 90% less poop jokes. Also mask enemies, gently caress mask enemies.

I had quite some fun with Shadowrun: Dragonfall, but the dialogue branches were non-consequential as hell and there isn't much in terms of replayability unless you wanna test out a new main class. I understand why it's like that, but with such a cool SRPG setup it's a bit sad to not be able to change it up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dias posted:

I used to love Pokémon. I played the hell out of the first three generations, I knew competitive builds, the whole shebang. I have a hard time both going back to the original games and getting into the new ones now. They just feel so slow, especially at the beginning. There's this interminable intro, then you meet your rival, then you go to the lab, talk to Professor ???, something dumb happens, you get to pick your Pokémon (finally) and there's probably a fetch quest following that before you get to, you know, kill poo poo and trap poor animals. Then, after that, you're stuck with a slow walkspeed and high encounter rates for the longest time, and if you want to level your party equally (or use a specific Poké) you have to grind and grind and...HMs were a terrible idea too - it either kills an attack slot on one of your main Pokés or a team slot for an HM slave. Now, I haven't played Black/White or X/Y, and I've been told they fixed the HM issue/some of the leveling ones. So this might be a little dated, but...

Play the original Red/Blue, and god forbid you start with a Charmander, or else you're going to get creamed by Brock and you'll never make it past the first gym unless you start grinding. It's possible, of course, but the first gym should not be that hard if you pick the wrong starter. (Also, kudos to Gold/Silver/Crystal for fixing this kind of design flaw by having the first gym be flying type - it won't wreck any starter, and presents a fun challenge.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dias posted:

Binding of Isaac could have used 90% less poop jokes. Also mask enemies, gently caress mask enemies.

I put up with them solely because they're fuel for the gameplay. Instead of poop jokes for their own sake, they actually make up fun items and game mechanics and so forth. I really like the game and hope to see more like it over the years.

Mask enemies can die in a fire, though. Same with most of the Challenges, ESPECIALLY with most floor curses which make the gameplay more tedious instead of more challenging, and most of all gently caress the Cellar. It's just poorly designed. It's very difficult for a starting floor, the enemies often too numerous and fast (why do I want to blow 3 minutes killing 20 spiders in the second room of the game?), and it's just completely unfun and I always restart until I get a Basement I floor, which at least sensibly eases you into it until you have a small handful of upgrades and can have a fun challenge going into the Caves.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Pokemon was funny because the NPCs, the manual, even the cartoon made a big deal about swapping your pokemon to the proper type and using a well balanced team. Then everyone exclusively used their starting pokemon and wrecked everything since it was 20 levels higher than it was supposed to be.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dias posted:

BoI's gameplay is crazy fun and addicting, it'd be such a great game if the art design weren't terrible

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pokemon was funny because the NPCs, the manual, even the cartoon made a big deal about swapping your pokemon to the proper type and using a well balanced team. Then everyone exclusively used their starting pokemon and wrecked everything since it was 20 levels higher than it was supposed to be.

This worked until I got to the gym leader that I was weak against. I think I always got wrecked by the grass gym. But after that, you can wreck anything in the game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I had quite some fun with Shadowrun: Dragonfall, but the dialogue branches were non-consequential as hell and there isn't much in terms of replayability unless you wanna test out a new main class. I understand why it's like that, but with such a cool SRPG setup it's a bit sad to not be able to change it up.
Big problem with the new Shadowrun games: since the bodies all disappear at the end of conflict, you don't have to look at what you've done. Gives them a much more sterile and artificially bloodless feeling than the old IE games they're sort of piggybacking. Like that mission where you go terminate (or don't) the Spider guy - you're meant to be horrified by what he does (which is horrible!) but you've had to kill a couple of dozen people yourself just to get to him, which isn't so much swept under the rug as apparently never having touched the rug.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Tropico as a series never really gives you a good reason to be a bad guy. for a game about dictators it's just way easier to be a touchy-feely liberal democrat and build national support with a strong welfare state based on a robust economy. it should be easier to be an rear end in a top hat autocrat but it's not, which is baffling

Paradox games are often too complicated. I like the hell out of CK2 but figuring out the best marriage for my third son can take forever as i sort through like 20 noble women and then which duke of wherever do i crown my chief stableman and ugh

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 14, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Bulletstorm was a great game but I'm very angry there will be no sequel :sigh:

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

Bulletstorm was a great game but I'm very angry there will be no sequel :sigh:

I loved that game :(

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a game that scratches all of my gaming itches and I'll probably get a few playthroughs of it over the next few years, but the crafting is kind of annoying and there's no unique armor/weapons that you can get towards the end of the game like in the other two games. Also I wish there were more actual sidequests versus "collect the poo poo" sidequests.

Fun fact: I was one of the people in the immediate aftermath of the Mass Effect 3 thread saying that I'd never buy another Bioware game after that, but I did because I'm a bitch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I loved that game :(

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a game that scratches all of my gaming itches and I'll probably get a few playthroughs of it over the next few years, but the crafting is kind of annoying and there's no unique armor/weapons that you can get towards the end of the game like in the other two games. Also I wish there were more actual sidequests versus "collect the poo poo" sidequests.

Fun fact: I was one of the people in the immediate aftermath of the Mass Effect 3 thread saying that I'd never buy another Bioware game after that, but I did because I'm a bitch.

Cheat engine. Skip the tedium of item collection; it makes the entire game so much better.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine: did a fine job of translating a hard, thudding sci-fi and fantasy mish-mash into a game where it felt like you could smash most minions into wee gibs under your blessed armor. It had exceedingly fun weapons and the Flamer is one of the most satisfying additions to your inventory in any game. Melee combat was insane, and the slow-motion was employed in a really cinematic way that feels like the spiritual forebearer of MGR.

That said, the game's reliance on QTEs in the final 20 minutes is unforgivable. What should have been an incredible show-down with the loving big bad is a laughable travesty, especially compared to a really well-designed sub-boss fight just minutes before. Every time I'm tempted to replay this game, I remember that finale and decide it's not worth the gigs.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Persona 4's dungeons are boring compared to the non random dungeons of other Mega tens. Also the last couple bosses for the true ending are kinda boring "be a high enough level and occasionally heal" affairs when the previous ones had more fun patterns.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Looper posted:

I love both NMH but Neo Destroy Man just destroys my interest in finishing Bitter in 2
As someone who has a sad enough life to have beat NMH2 on Bitter, NDM is nothing compared to Pizza Batt 2, who is the absolute definition of bullshit.

Radiant Historia is an amazing game, but constantly having to see the same cut-scenes over and over again as you jumped through time got old very, very fast. Being able to skip them helped, but it was still a problem.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Deus Ex has the reload key to bound to ";" default, even in 2000 that poo poo is ridiculous.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

After hearing about how great the shouts in Skyrim are, they are really, really underwhelming. Knocking people backwards is kind of useful sometimes, but the recharge time is really long and the ordinary magic is much more useful and interesting than any of the shouts I've unlocked so far. Most of them seem completely useless.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

After hearing about how great the shouts in Skyrim are, they are really, really underwhelming. Knocking people backwards is kind of useful sometimes, but the recharge time is really long and the ordinary magic is much more useful and interesting than any of the shouts I've unlocked so far. Most of them seem completely useless.

Yeah the knock people down was mostly for stupid humor. Though the speed for was great for skipping awful bridges and skipping one of the final bosses.

I completely forget what the rest do despite collecting all of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The ___ of Sorrow games are my favorite Metroidvanias and some of my favorite platformers ever but God drat are the drop rates bad. They put all these cool souls in the game for you to collect as magic abilities but it's so tough to get them to drop. Dawn of Sorrow had a cool idea where some soul abilities change or get stronger as you collect more of that soul but then they whipped it around and not left the low drop rates, but now you also had to use souls to craft any passable weapon. They could have done a fighter vs. caster sort of character progression but the stats in those games hardly ever count for anything.

Speaking of stats, I heard a rumor that Luck in Metroidvanias actually DECREASES drop rates, or at least has a negligible effect. If not for Thief Mode in Circle of the Moon I would believe that 100%

Discount Viscount posted:

Mega Man X Collection removed the voice clip of X shouting "Hadoken!"

They also used the Saturn version of Mega Man X3 with the far shittier sound effects and music, I loved the SNES's sound for that game and I was crushed when I heard the game in the X Collection :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Another Dragon Age: Inquisition.

The combat isn't tactical or interesting as Dragon Age 1, even on the harder difficulties. In DA1, you could literally die to trash mobs (and I have on a recent playthrough) if you weren't paying attention. Most of the abilities in DA3 don't really require smart useage or themselves are useless and the gutting of the tactics system exacerbates this. Not to mention they took out interesting things like kill animations. Removing healing as a thing actually hurt the game as it limited the damage you could reasonably take and cut the tension of the game. Just look at a fight with a high dragon- someone getting grabbed had to have heals spammed on them and led to tense gameplay. Once you get regeneration potions maxed out there really is no way for your party to actually be killed.

Heals should have remained, but as HoTs with the 8-12 limited potions being the large instant health returners.

Sera.

As the series goes on the dark spawn get less and less physically menacing. The story until "In your heart will burn" is pretty lifeless. The final mission is also really bad. Why can't Bioware do endings anymore? What piece broke within the company exactly that allowed them to finish a game?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Persona 4 had a great art style and a decent storyline that was marred by being way too loving anime, and you can't date kanji.

Don't starve gets really repetitive, fast.

Psychonauts has mediocre platforming and would be way better as a cartoon or comic, or even a straightup RPG or point and click.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Pikmin 3 is pretty and fun but inferior to Pikmin 2, the greatest game ever made. I thought about this and I think the main reason is because Pikmin 3 feels very linear. You're told exactly where to go and you usually have nowhere to go but that place. There's not really much choice about how to progress in the game. In Pikmin 2 and even Pikmin 1, you are pretty free to look at the map and figure out where you wanna go. The game gives you a goal but you can about accomplishing that goal by visiting different places. You don't have to follow a set order of progress. In Pikmin 3, there's really nothing to do in most areas other than complete the story objective and then bugger off. There's only one way to reach the story objective as well.

I agree, I was so excited for it since I love Pikmin, and Pikmin 2 is in fact one of the greatest games ever made. What stood out to me most of all though, were the controls. They crippled the game by removing so many useful functions from 2. Like being able to direct your pikmin with the C-stick. It was great in 2 because it made boss battles more dynamic and you could actually influence whether or not your pikmin got eaten. Compared to 3 where every fight I Got into it felt like a crapshoot whether or not they'd be able to run fast enough to avoid whatever giant lobster bug monster was rolling at them because I had no way to tell them where to go, and half the time they wandered in the wrong direction because the AI seemed worse than ever.

Also having to collect fruit seemed like a step back. I don't know about anyone else but I Was always excited to collect new stuff in 2 to read the descriptions and see what flavor text they added for mundane items like duracell batteries. Now its just fruit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Super Mario World, when compared to newer games, feels sort of lifeless and stale. Not in terms of its enemies or backgrounds but most of the level design, especially in the earliest levels that feel more like a tutorial section than anything. It gets better near its end, but unless this was your first SNES game you'll probably not be all that impressed by it initially.

I love the music and the additions to gameplay, and the world map is a stroke of genius for being interactive and fun to explore, but it takes a while to really hit its stride.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

I agree, I was so excited for it since I love Pikmin, and Pikmin 2 is in fact one of the greatest games ever made. What stood out to me most of all though, were the controls. They crippled the game by removing so many useful functions from 2. Like being able to direct your pikmin with the C-stick. It was great in 2 because it made boss battles more dynamic and you could actually influence whether or not your pikmin got eaten. Compared to 3 where every fight I Got into it felt like a crapshoot whether or not they'd be able to run fast enough to avoid whatever giant lobster bug monster was rolling at them because I had no way to tell them where to go, and half the time they wandered in the wrong direction because the AI seemed worse than ever.

Also having to collect fruit seemed like a step back. I don't know about anyone else but I Was always excited to collect new stuff in 2 to read the descriptions and see what flavor text they added for mundane items like duracell batteries. Now its just fruit.

Actually yeah I think the controls were extremely bad compared to the old games. When I first picked it up I was actually dismayed by how much trouble I was having getting used to it. First boss completely wrecked me because I was so used to using the C-stick to control the swarm and move them away from danger. It gets better once you get the dodge whistle. That item is so critical to proper evasion I'm kind of baffled that they make you go through an entire boss fight without it. It still doesn't compare to the ease of using the C-stick though.

I think Pikmin 3 got the difficulty down perfectly though, controls issues aside. Pikmin 2 is amazing but my biggest problem with it is that its wayyyyy too easy. Enemy hit detection is extremely forgiving compared to Pikmin 1 & 3, and every hazard other than electricity takes so long to kill pikmin you have to be asleep for them to die to it. It was not uncommon for me to clear off the debt with a death count that didn't even go over 10. And if you abuse purple pikmin, nothing is even remotely threatening. Pikmin 3 doesn't pull its punches. It throws hard enemies at you that you have to adapt quickly too survive against. I've never lost a pikmin to the final boss of Pikmin 2, but the final boss in Pikmin 3 was a horrifying slaughter. And that's the way the games should be, given you have an infinite army to work with.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 24, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Beekeeping and You posted:

Persona 4 ... great art style ... way too loving anime

What?

:confused:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beekeeping and You posted:

Persona 4 had a great art style and a decent storyline that was marred by being way too loving anime, and you can't date kanji.

A spectre haunts the forums - the spectre of anime ...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot. Ignore me!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Persona 4's style is anime as poo poo and if you like it you have been infected by the anime.

oneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Super Mario World, when compared to newer games, feels sort of lifeless and stale. Not in terms of its enemies or backgrounds but most of the level design, especially in the earliest levels that feel more like a tutorial section than anything. It gets better near its end, but unless this was your first SNES game you'll probably not be all that impressed by it initially.

I love the music and the additions to gameplay, and the world map is a stroke of genius for being interactive and fun to explore, but it takes a while to really hit its stride.

I feel the same way about most of the newer Mario titles. 3D World was fantastic but it wasn't until the halfway point that I really felt the levels were challenging enough to really provide some engaging platforming. they're weird games in that I normally end up enjoying them more just before they finish than at the start.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Diablo 3: If you program the game to autopickup gold/shards/potions why the gently caress can you not do the same to gems and crafting mats. gently caress you Blizzard for my carpal tunnel syndrome and making entire classes not fun for group play.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tobias Grant posted:

As someone who has a sad enough life to have beat NMH2 on Bitter, NDM is nothing compared to Pizza Batt 2, who is the absolute definition of bullshit.

This man knows what's up. The fight with Batt is so stacked against you it's ridiculous. And they decided to give him stunlock wind fists for his last bit of health. Those, I can personally tell you, can edge you just close enough to the window for the boss to instantly kill you. This is after the first game's final boss, which Platinum would have been proud of, which makes it extra disappointing.

P4 chat: Am I the only one who found the bosses boring? P3 bosses all had some fun gimmick, but P4 is just buff yourself, debuff the enemy, hit them a whole bunch, defend when they use Mind/Power Charge, etc. The set up for them was way better than the bosses themselves.
The most creative boss was the one who had the glorified extra HP bar in the form of an outer shell you needed to whittle away first. I know you can throw this criticism to many other MegaTen games, but they feel so uninspired after P3. (And don't say Fortune. Fortune was easy. Time the wheel for when the status you want was on the opposite end of the wheel that the arrow is currently on. Use this to fear the bosses, then instant kill them with that Deathly Wail move. It's a good fight :colbert:)
And P4's Shuffle Time can suck it.

Guild Wars 2 chat: I played FFXIV after going full retard with GW2, up to and including getting a legendary weapon. There are a shitton of lessons GW2 can learn from XIV.
First, stop having so many loving knockdowns. Yes I know stability is a thing, it has a cooldown, and if they enemy KDs you, they can chain that poo poo. Most frustrating way to receive damage.
Finish changing the old and busted red circles with the new hotness orange ones. Those are way eeasier to see, especially in bumpy terrain.
Agony is loving retarded and a lovely mechanic. The actual debuffs are cooler, more creative and way less punishing to newer players.
XIV's story patches were self-contained but they also expanded the plot. Each patch made you feel like you accomplished something. GW2 seldom has the same effect.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
APB and APB: Reloaded are horrible terrible games that I've sunk countless thousands of hours into and I'm not sure why. The core gameplay is so bad but the dumb awesome stuff that happens in it makes it worth coming back to

This post is the reverse of the thread's concept because APB is so cataclysmically horrible it will never obey by anyone's rules

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Oblivion/Skyrim, your writers are worthless, you re-use the same five voice actors because you dropped half the budget on Patrick Stewart/Max von Sydow, and your sound directors all need to be fired. I will still sink hundreds of hours into you and search for every secret about the world you take place in because it's fun and atmospheric.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Persona 4's style is anime as poo poo and if you like it you have been infected by the anime.

oneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofus

I like the graphic design a lot too, but the writing is anime as poo poo. That's my major complaint with the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

This man knows what's up. The fight with Batt is so stacked against you it's ridiculous. And they decided to give him stunlock wind fists for his last bit of health. Those, I can personally tell you, can edge you just close enough to the window for the boss to instantly kill you. This is after the first game's final boss, which Platinum would have been proud of, which makes it extra disappointing.

Pizza Batt is at least interesting, NDM is just a crazy tedious wall standing between me and good fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Suikoden 2 has a god awful translation, Boy Oboy.

• Locked thread