Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Deadpool posted:

I clicked this dreading it because I thought it would be the stupidest thing ever committed to film. And for the most part it was. But that was clearly the point. The person that made this clearly decided to take the goofiest show and bathe it in blood and guts in order to make some kind of commentary on the trend of movies doing just that. Only he decided to take it to its inevitable ending and just loads it with dark poo poo for the sake of dark poo poo. It's terrible but I understand what they were trying to do so I guess that counts for something. I would bet at almost no point did the people making this (writer/director) think they were making something cool. But it will surely be called that by many people totally missing the point.

Yeah he did an interview on Hitfix where he's said that it's a play on the idea that people clamour for 'dark and gritty' reboots on things. And how he's been watching fan films where they inexplicably do a dark re-imagining of say Mario Brothers. It was all about taking it to its logical conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Bown posted:

"Detention" is my personal pick for the most underrated movie of this decade. DivisionPost has gotten me into a lot of good stuff, but that one's probably my favourite.

I don't know about most underrated movie of the decade, but it is amazingly entertaining and deserves to be watched by way more people. Reminded of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" in its go-for-broke lets-fit-20-movies-into-90-minutes approach. Not for everyone, but given the nature of these forums it should be a good fit.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Detention is basically a twenty-car pileup involving Saw, Scream, The Breakfast Club, Freaky Friday, Freejack, The Rules of Attraction, and many others, and the wreckage somehow forms a coherent, beautiful picture. It's a miracle of a movie; love it, hate it, you should know it exists. It's on Netflix.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I clicked this dreading it because I thought it would be the stupidest thing ever committed to film. And for the most part it was. But that was clearly the point. The person that made this clearly decided to take the goofiest show and bathe it in blood and guts in order to make some kind of commentary on the trend of movies doing just that. Only he decided to take it to its inevitable ending and just loads it with dark poo poo for the sake of dark poo poo. It's terrible but I understand what they were trying to do so I guess that counts for something. I would bet at almost no point did the people making this (writer/director) think they were making something cool. But it will surely be called that by many people totally missing the point.

The fight scenes were ok :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's pastiche more than parody.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

So that is a thing. It might be a little too GRITTY REBOOT for some people but I thought it was pretty cool, didn't overstay its welcome and all that.

Cyborg James Vander Beek makes it worth wild.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Sober posted:

So that is a thing. It might be a little too GRITTY REBOOT for some people but I thought it was pretty cool, didn't overstay its welcome and all that.

I really like Joseph Kahn and how much he loves being ridiculous. This would have worked wonderfully as a James Van Der Beek movie in Don't Trust the Bitch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been watching Chicago Fire on a binge, not hating it at all. Some great characters, all the stunt work and fire footage is amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was nice to see that The Mindy Project kind of worked itself out as a show in Season 2 and became something actually worth while... but is anyone else thinking it's starting to slip back down the slope again? Week in week out it seems to just be The Danny and Mindy Show and it's not been particularly entertaining because of it. Hope it gets out of the rut again, and starts doing more stuff with the other characters, pretty much all of whom are more interesting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah he did an interview on Hitfix where he's said that it's a play on the idea that people clamour for 'dark and gritty' reboots on things. And how he's been watching fan films where they inexplicably do a dark re-imagining of say Mario Brothers. It was all about taking it to its logical conclusion.
It takes itself so seriously that the only people that should be fooled are people who literally have never watched any Power Rangers/Super Sentai, ever.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I really like Joseph Kahn and how much he loves being ridiculous. This would have worked wonderfully as a James Van Der Beek movie in Don't Trust the Bitch.
I just like to imagine Apt23 Van Der Beek is canon Van Der Beek. It makes life more enjoyable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spatula City posted:

I never "stewed in repulsion". I love the show, I just never watched it seeing Walter as a badass. He's an egomaniacal prick with self-serving justifications for his shittiness, and it is UTTERLY FASCINATING to watch him plunge further and further.

Seriously, they make it crystal (lol) clear that he is not a good person and that you should not consider him a good person, and I'm only halfway through season 2. Do people seriously think you're supposed to root for him just because he's the main character? Did you suckers who watched Dexter all the way through think the same thing there?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

raditts posted:

Seriously, they make it crystal (lol) clear that he is not a good person and that you should not consider him a good person, and I'm only halfway through season 2. Do people seriously think you're supposed to root for him just because he's the main character? Did you suckers who watched Dexter all the way through think the same thing there?

Honestly the Dexter supporters were EVEN MORE DISTURBING, considering just how many people he killed, and the sort of insane logic that makes it okay to murder people just as long as they're "bad guys".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Don't we have this discussion every time the show comes up?

Good Lord. Just because you've figured out that Walter isn't sympathetic doesn't make you a master of television.

And yes, to some degree, the show is daring you and expecting you to route for him. Especially when he's up against child killer Gus and literal Nazi's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Good Lord. Just because you've figured out that Walter isn't sympathetic doesn't make you a master of television.

You would think so but no apparently it does.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Spatula City posted:

Honestly the Dexter supporters were EVEN MORE DISTURBING, considering just how many people he killed, and the sort of insane logic that makes it okay to murder people just as long as they're "bad guys".

Doesn't Dexter at some point say " Yeah I am loving terrible." After S2 there should be no doubt he's 100% scum who doesn't even try to justify what he does. I stopped watching after the terrible S5 so I don't know if he magically becomes some kind of anti hero though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PriorMarcus posted:

At least it shouldn't, when the show stops just short of flashing it on the screen in big bright letters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BillBear posted:

Doesn't Dexter at some point say " Yeah I am loving terrible." After S2 there should be no doubt he's 100% scum who doesn't even try to justify what he does. I stopped watching after the terrible S5 so I don't know if he magically becomes some kind of anti hero though.

The show is 100% in favour of Dexter. He's in full on anti-hero territory from Seeason Two onwards and he's final arc is about becoming a 'real boy' who suffers no real consequences for his actions and is in fact admired and rewarded for them.

Then he becomes a lumberjack.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was nice to see that The Mindy Project kind of worked itself out as a show in Season 2 and became something actually worth while... but is anyone else thinking it's starting to slip back down the slope again? Week in week out it seems to just be The Danny and Mindy Show and it's not been particularly entertaining because of it. Hope it gets out of the rut again, and starts doing more stuff with the other characters, pretty much all of whom are more interesting.

That the show even has a current direction is testament to how far it's come. For me it didn't coalesce until the current season and to be totally honest it feels like this was what they were building to the whole series for better or worse. I'll agree that there's a lingering sense of incompletion and lack of depth but compared to the flighty morass of S1 and early S2 it's comparatively delightful.

PriorMarcus posted:

The show is 100% in favour of Dexter. He's in full on anti-hero territory from Seeason Two onwards and he's final arc is about becoming a 'real boy' who suffers no real consequences for his actions and is in fact admired and rewarded for them.

Then he becomes a lumberjack.

I don't even think the show views him as an anti-hero at all. You are straight up supposed to root for Dexter and the show never gives you an alternative that isn't a worse motherfucker. Also they give semi-ethical outs to Dexter's ill behavior every season. It's really gross.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 24, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sober posted:

It's incredibly Joseph Kahn. So first impression is no, second is oh wait a second, third is a giant grin, and fourth is just the realization of how bat poo poo ambitious he can be (Detention, come on).

Also, James Van Der Beek can sell anything. Even a Halo/Power Rangers mash-up.

EDIT: You know what? I like that world. Dystopian sci fi, piggy backing off a sunnier sci fi series gone sour. Seeing how the main characters sell out to totilitarian forces, and how much background they share with each other. Also the fighting was cool.

But maybe not with the Power Rangers though?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Reminder that Skylar White was unironically called Skycunt on these very forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

Reminder that Skylar White was unironically called Skycunt on these very forums.
Yeah, but this site hates anyone who's not a white man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's possible to think he's not a good person, and still root for him just because he's fun to watch. :shobon: I didn't hate Skylar but I still liked Walt to some extent or another all the way up to the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Coincidentally, she's also often unironically called Skylar.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Sober posted:

I like that they made Billy gay :3: and yeah, it's tottally a Joseph Kahn/Adi Shankar joint in the best possible way.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IRQ posted:

:qq:

It's cool how everyone who's extremely offended by that word has continued to use it every chance they got for years after the people who hated Skyler got over it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Misogyny? That was just a phase. I got over it years ago.

Lately I've been trying out racism.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not denying that some people hated Skyler because of misogyny, but the show did present her largely as an obstacle early on while it wanted the viewers to be on Walt's side. Later on it corrected that and presented her in a more sympathetic light, and some people who formerly hated her got over it/became sympathetic toward her, though obviously some did continue irrationally hating her.

Regardless of why people hated her, or whether or not it was appropriate, the way people complaining about it for years after have continued to use that specific word when doing so really seems like they're getting a thrill out of saying something naughty.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sinteres posted:

Regardless of why people hated her, or whether or not it was appropriate, the way people complaining about it for years after have continued to use that specific word when doing so really seems like they're getting a thrill out of saying something naughty.

oval office oval office oval office, oval office oval office oval office, oval office oval office all the way

It's not the word that's important here, it's the summation of the misogyny directed at a fictional character for simply doing what normal rational people would do and how crazy people get over Walter White.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Never heard skycunt before. That's pretty funny.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Racism: half a star.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sinteres posted:

I'm not denying that some people hated Skyler because of misogyny, but the show did present her largely as an obstacle early on while it wanted the viewers to be on Walt's side.

Pretty much. I couldn't care less about Skyler's supposed cuntiness or lack thereof, but I hate that its now impossible to have a reasonable discussion about Skyler without a large contingent of posters foaming at the mouth about misogyny.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Mindy Project is getting a little too insular and sappy for my tastes. I don't think the doofy white guy is funny, and Mindy's relationship/pregnancy stuff doesn't interest me at all. I get that I'm not in the show's target demographic, but still, I definitely preferred the lighter, jokier version we had last year to whatever they're doing this season.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah but misogyny really sucks and it should make people angry.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cactus posted:

Why waste your energy impotently raging at people who don't care? Do you or anyone around you benefit when you jump into a topic, yelling "MISOGYNY"? Are you being an effective advocate for positive change when you derail every interesting conversation with social justice bullshit? How do you react when something appears offense? Do you instinctive shout "MISOGYNY," or do you consider the context and intent behind the message to gauge if its truly offensive?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cactus posted:

The rule of not responding to Irish Joe is occasionally not fair. But never respond to his posts about misogyny or "social justice bullshit." It'll get you nowhere.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Misogyny? That was just a phase. I got over it years ago.

it's a more casual fit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Racism: half a star.

Shouldn't racism get zero stars?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Shouldn't racism get zero stars?

Half a star is the lowest rating.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But it's racism.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing that gets zero stars is this discussion. Quit whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

But it's racism.

Well we don't do zero stars. We had a long meeting about this.

• Locked thread