Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

How is it possible to live off this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

nuru posted:

To be fair to Zuka's situation, do we have any reason to think she's even a good VA aside from "She's one of the protagonists, sort of!"?

Well, she's young and she's cute, which covers about 93% of today's VA requirements!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
She was good enough to get asked to read for another character and then became the runner-up. She's not without some talent, but she's in a world of heavy competition.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

She was good enough to get asked to read for another character and then became the runner-up. She's not without some talent, but she's in a world of heavy competition.

Runner-ups are the first loser! She'll become the manager of that bar and that'll be that.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

darkgray posted:

Well, she's young and she's cute, which covers about 93% of today's VA requirements!

Except she isn't known to sing, isn't popular with any meaningful demographic, and doesn't have an exceptionally smoking hot body. If she had all three, she'd be made. :thumbsup:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 23, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

the dream...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It should be noted we saw Ema's house back near the end of episode 5 it's shabby studio apartment. And it looks like it's only a single room apartment looking at it again.

At least the Ace Key Animators and Character Designers are payed quite a bit. According to the chart we got Iguchi is the highest paid staff member.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 24, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should do a storyline with foreign (i see a lot of korean names in credits of anime like for example death parade) animators. you could probably tie that into the whole wage thing somehow and it seems interesting

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

It's not. Animators are subsidized for the first few years in the industry by their parents. After a few years they might have enough skill to do key-frame animation which will at least pay a living wage, though I doubt almost any animator is able to own a house or have a family, unless they're incredibly successful like Miyazaki. Miyazaki also came from money, so he's a different story.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Davincie posted:

they should do a storyline with foreign (i see a lot of korean names in credits of anime like for example death parade) animators. you could probably tie that into the whole wage thing somehow and it seems interesting

There are a few studios who regularly outsource to Korean animation studios; Madhouse (and Mappa, which sprung out of Madhouse) are two of them. Check say, the Garo anime's credits for an example. Another is Pierrot. There is actually some talent in a few of the Korean studios but its spread pretty thin and when you're outsourcing to Korea its generally an indication that your show's scheduling is pretty messed up and you aren't expecting them to be able to deliver much in the first place. You can tell these shows have messy schedules because they'll have 3+ animation directors per episode and 5 different studios listed in the key animation credits.

Then there's the Korean studios that do their own thing instead of being outsource shops. The most well-known of these is Studio Mir, who did the animation for most of Korra (Pierrot did parts of season 2, which looked awful in comparison).

There's also the odd Korean animator who is talented enough to break into the mainline Japanese studios. Sejoon Kim does a ton of mecha work for Sunrise and is probably one of the top laser effects animators they have. A lot of these guys will have their names in kanji in the credits (Kim is 金 世俊, for example) so unless you can actually read everyone's names you probably won't notice them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

aers posted:

There's also the odd Korean animator who is talented enough to break into the mainline Japanese studios. Sejoon Kim does a ton of mecha work for Sunrise and is probably one of the top laser effects animators they have. A lot of these guys will have their names in kanji in the credits (Kim is 金 世俊, for example) so unless you can actually read everyone's names you probably won't notice them.

Uh?? I've never seen a Korean name in hanja in credits, that is definitely an exception to the norm. It's almost always in English or sometimes in katakana.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Part of Shizuka's problem is that she doesn't have any connections in the right place to pull strings, since all her friends aren't on the voice/sound side of things. Miyamori is probably the closest as production desk, but even then she wasn't part of the auditions.

Whereas Diesel-san was hired on the quality of her work (but wouldn't have the opportunity to show her skill without Miyamori) and CG-girl whose name I forget only got a job at another studio because Miyamori asked a colleague to pull strings with his colleague/friend from school.

Its not cleared up whether Ema helped Miyamori get a job at Musani, but regardless, point is Shizuka is in a satellite industry where she has no friends or connections.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Uh?? I've never seen a Korean name in hanja in credits, that is definitely an exception to the norm. It's almost always in English or sometimes in katakana.

Uh yeah its rare.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andes Chucky should have been in 4:3, but the theme song completely nailed it. watching galaxy express 999 at the same time as this and that song could play during an episode and i would believe it was written in the 70s

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Conot posted:

Part of Shizuka's problem is that she doesn't have any connections in the right place to pull strings, since all her friends aren't on the voice/sound side of things. Miyamori is probably the closest as production desk, but even then she wasn't part of the auditions.

Whereas Diesel-san was hired on the quality of her work (but wouldn't have the opportunity to show her skill without Miyamori) and CG-girl whose name I forget only got a job at another studio because Miyamori asked a colleague to pull strings with his colleague/friend from school.

Its not cleared up whether Ema helped Miyamori get a job at Musani, but regardless, point is Shizuka is in a satellite industry where she has no friends or connections.

The VA position in the show also appears hugely more competitive than the other positions. For PA, Musani basically hired 2/3 applicants, on the basis of mostly having enthusiasm for the industry. For research assistant, that started off as an informal help position. Misa's CG position is a standard company sort of job where they were prepared to train you, and well, she could make tyres. Whereas VA is shown to basically pit newbies against established names with inherently limited numbers of staff for each show, and many VAs doing multiple shows at the same time. Add in the influence of agencies and merchandise producers, Shizuka has little chance. Even if Miyamori was involved in casting, I doubt she would have helped Shizuka to beat out a more appropriate casting choice - I don't think that's consistent with the message of the show, it would make Miyamori little different from 'Dat rear end' guy.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Huh. Apparently, originally Shirobako was planned as a 4-cour show, with Miyamori going from the assistant to the desk, from there to the line producer and, then, finally, to the producer. Source (might be nsfw due to the ads).

Are you sad yet that that didn't happened? I am. Here's hoping that we will get the second season at some point (preferably soon).

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wanna see cool producer miyamori wearing sunglasses smoking cigarettes and playing mahjong

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Isn't the show selling like hotcakes? If there's no second season I'll be furious.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Isn't the show selling like hotcakes?
It sure is (and it will be the second best selling fall show, behind UBW).

darkgray posted:

Hanasaku Iroha averaged about 8500 units per volume, while Shirobako is doing around 10k sold per volume so far. Might still increase, though.

K. Flaps posted:

If there's no second season I'll be furious.
The show is too good, so by the laws of anime production we will never get the second season. Start crying and being furious now :v:

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 24, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Andes Chucky should have been in 4:3, but the theme song completely nailed it. watching galaxy express 999 at the same time as this and that song could play during an episode and i would believe it was written in the 70s

I think they were going for "this is how you remember it looking, not how it actually looked". If they cut down the size it would look like it was lesser than the rest of the show, which would work against the point the story was trying to make. I think it's really smart that they very much nailed a bunch of qualities that people love about that period of TV animation, while breaking a couple big things for good reasons.

Basically my dream show would be a whole series animated like that, it's a very cool look.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good point, especially considering anime in the 70s looks like complete rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Huh. Apparently, originally Shirobako was planned as a 4-cour show, with Miyamori going from the assistant to the desk, from there to the line producer and, then, finally, to the producer. Source.

Are you sad yet that that didn't happened? I am. Here's hoping that we will get the second season at some point (preferably soon).

I think that link needs :nws: tags due to the ads. Opened it on my phone and got a naked anime woman on my screen.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show is so successful, I think the likelihood for a second season with two more cours is pretty high.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I think that link needs :nws: tags due to the ads. Opened it on my phone and got a naked anime woman on my screen.

first world problems

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Thank you, now I know I need to click on it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Production plans don't just change for budgetary reasons. It could well be that they didn't think they had the material for 4 cours.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
At this point, since the show is making money and the staff did plan on making 52 episodes, doesn't that basically mean we will get four cours, just maybe separated by a year or so, barring some unforseen calamity?

E: ^you made me sad

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that it's yaraon and thus might have nsfw ads. Sorry about that :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What would be worse: a terrible second season or no second season at all?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

It sure is (and it will be the second best selling fall show, behind UBW).

:psyduck:

I was not expecting this at all. Maybe things will change for the better? :unsmith:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What would be worse: a terrible second season or no second season at all?

Hypothetically? A terrible second season. But the motherfucker of that question is that I'm not sure this crew has it in them to make a terrible second season. Something would have to go catastrophically wrong in their approach to the show when they pick it back up, though I admit that isn't impossible.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I need to see a final cour where they make their gods anime and they find the true meaning of friendship and anime.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Hypothetically? A terrible second season. But the motherfucker of that question is that I'm not sure this crew has it in them to make a terrible second season. Something would have to go catastrophically wrong in their approach to the show when they pick it back up, though I admit that isn't impossible.

Oh gently caress you actually said it, we are doomed now.

Jiggly jiggly heaven, it's coming.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Oh gently caress you actually said it, we are doomed now.

Jiggly jiggly heaven, it's coming.

If they have to make an episode like that, I'm sure itwould be meta as hell.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Xelkelvos posted:

If they have to make an episode like that, I'm sure itwould be meta as hell.

just have it be a post plane girls release drinking party ova or something

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Speaking of the show's staff awesome approach to it:

quote:

kViN posted:

Exodus' OVA (#1) has fake in-universe production credits, full of Shirobako characters we know

quote:

kViN posted:

Cute details in there - special KA credit for Segawa, Ema working on the first ep already, the shy animator doing inbetweens back then...

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fangz posted:

The VA position in the show also appears hugely more competitive than the other positions. For PA, Musani basically hired 2/3 applicants, on the basis of mostly having enthusiasm for the industry. For research assistant, that started off as an informal help position. Misa's CG position is a standard company sort of job where they were prepared to train you, and well, she could make tyres. Whereas VA is shown to basically pit newbies against established names with inherently limited numbers of staff for each show, and many VAs doing multiple shows at the same time. Add in the influence of agencies and merchandise producers, Shizuka has little chance. Even if Miyamori was involved in casting, I doubt she would have helped Shizuka to beat out a more appropriate casting choice - I don't think that's consistent with the message of the show, it would make Miyamori little different from 'Dat rear end' guy.

I agree she wouldn't have given/pushed Shizuka into a key role over the voices of everyone else, even if she could, but she might have been able to shift a bit part/background character to Shizuka, which would atleast help her not be a new face with no experience under her belt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...is pseudo-nepotism supposed to be a good thing? Frankly that sounds like a scandal waiting to happen. Even if she didn't show any favoritism, I think the safer bet would be to take her off the committee for choosing voice actors.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Aren't most jobs in any industry filled by someone knowing the right person? It seems unfair from the outside, but on the inside, it's great to be able to hire someone you know isn't awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

...is pseudo-nepotism supposed to be a good thing? Frankly that sounds like a scandal waiting to happen. Even if she didn't show any favoritism, I think the safer bet would be to take her off the committee for choosing voice actors.

Right, because CGI girl got her job at the new studio by pure skill after quitting a job at a bigger studio she worked at for less then a year.

Besides, its not like Shizuka is a bad voice actress, as we saw in the meeting episode, she was more disqualified due to "politics" of not being well known rather then actual talent.

• Locked thread