Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
We once were promised voxels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerryLennox posted:

Ray tracing will become mainstay...one of these days...just you wait.

Have there been any recent attempts to get ray tracing working on modern hardware?

Lots, its just not really cost effective. It eats up too much processing time just to get better reflections. As power continues to grow though, it'll be more and more viable.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

We once were promised voxels...

Which are actually kinda making a huge comeback right now with all the Minecraft clones and whatnot.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Zaphod42 posted:

Which are actually kinda making a huge comeback right now with all the Minecraft clones and whatnot.
Those aren't voxels.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
EDIT: Whooops, thats what I get for having 2 replies open at the same time.

What I was going to say, is that those copy protect methods like Monkey Islands dial of pirate are long gone, but were pretty fun. The less enjoyable was the ones that were "what is the first word on page 15 of the manual?". The big drawback, lose it, and your SOL.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Feb 24, 2015

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

twistedmentat posted:

So the plot is now the board of Wayne Enterprises wants to oust Bruce as head?

No, that is obsolete now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I always liked this POV-ray render

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Those aren't voxels.
They're close enough that it put the idea in the mind of a generation of players/devs who will actually find out what real voxels are and use them. There's at least 1 goon project that used marching cubes to make spherical worlds and digging. Gotta go dig in the game dev megathread or the post pictures of stuff your working on thread to find them. But yes, it is a worthwhile note to point out.

e: welp I just learned how you can accidently post a new thread when trying to edit a post. First image broke tables, the reply buton was off the screen and I clicked the post button instead out of habbit.

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Those aren't voxels.

Whats the difference? They're big voxels.

Not everything in Minecraft is a voxel, but the cars in Duke Nukem were called voxels and most of the objects in the game were sprites; not everything was a voxel. You can mix it up.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Zaphod42 posted:

In a discussion about rendering, no. Minecraft is polygons all the way.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

TerryLennox posted:

Ray tracing will become mainstay...one of these days...just you wait.

Have there been any recent attempts to get ray tracing working on modern hardware?

If you can have this, why bother?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqxonOrl4Q

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Isn't Daxter a voxel?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Not everything in Minecraft is a voxel, but the cars in Duke Nukem were called voxels and most of the objects in the game were sprites; not everything was a voxel. You can mix it up.

There were no cars in Duke Nukem :smuggo:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

There weren't any you could actually drive, but I've played a bunch of custom maps with scripted cars driving around (and instagib bumpers).

One of my absolute favorites for dukematches had a square office-type building in the middle with two RVs loaded with items speeding around it, one in each direction. They were filled with explosive barrels so you could blow out the sides and do drive-by shootings. As far as I remember, they actually had spawnpoints inside, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Words about some game that's not Duke Nukem

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:jerkbag:

I played the original Duke Nukem (before it was renamed "Duke Nukum") and Duke Nukem II back when they were released, don't try to school me on old-school PC gaming, son.

But when people say Duke Nukem these days, 99% of the time they're referring to Duke Nukem 3D.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

:jerkbag:

I played the original Duke Nukem (before it was renamed "Duke Nukum") and Duke Nukem II back when they were released, don't try to school me, son.

But when people say Duke Nukem these days, 99% of the time they're referring to Duke Nukem 3D.

I bet you also got an Xbox one when it came out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bet you also got an Xbox one when it came out.

No, but I can regale you with tales of 500-floppy boxes of pirated C64 and Amiga games.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Look at the rich kid with a floppy drive for his C64.

:sigh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That was many many years ago.

C64 emulators are essentially perfect these days, anyway. The only reason to hang on to a real, proper C64 is for nostalgic reasons.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I know, but when I had a C64 at 7-8 or so I never had a floppy drive, just the shoddy tape drive that needed retuning every time you wanted to load another tape.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh god the 1541 FDD. So slow and easy to go out of alignment.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh I know, but when I had a C64 at 7-8 or so I never had a floppy drive, just the shoddy tape drive that needed retuning every time you wanted to load another tape.

I loved that. It's like a mini game!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I was seriously bemused when bought the floppy drive for my C64 some years ago for the first time (I used to have datasette all these years) and quickly discovered how fiddly and slow those things are. Now I have SD2IEC and it's absolutely great.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

mng posted:

I loved that. It's like a mini game!
And sometimes you just couldn't get more than two or three bars in the signal strength display, even after half an hour of trying. Sometimes you even got the multicolored loading borders.. but not the game itself. :smith:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I don't remember voxels in DN3D, but Blood (which was done on the same engine) used voxels for a lot of the item pickups and weapon pick ups. Shadow Warrior had them too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Novalogic Games (Comanche vs Havoc, the Delta Force series) were all voxel based.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why did I say Duke Nukem? :doh: Brain fart. I totally totally meant Shadow Warrior. Duke had no voxels, right?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Why did I say Duke Nukem? :doh: Brain fart. I totally totally meant Shadow Warrior. Duke had no voxels, right?

If Wikipedia is to be believed, It was a planned feature but wasn't completed in time for DN3D, but was read in time for Blood and Shadow Warrior.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh god the 1541 FDD. So slow and easy to go out of alignment.

I don't know if the drive was actually slow but the bus to the computer was basically the slowest it could be.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know if the drive was actually slow but the bus to the computer was basically the slowest it could be.

Add-ons such as the Epyx Fastload corrected that, though.

AFAIK, the drive had basically the same CPU as the C64, complete with its own OS in ROM and a small amount of cache RAM.

Demoscene coders managed to exploit this to offload processing to the 1541 for increased performance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

KozmoNaut posted:

Add-ons such as the Epyx Fastload corrected that, though.

AFAIK, the drive had basically the same CPU as the C64, complete with its own OS in ROM and a small amount of cache RAM.

Demoscene coders managed to exploit this to offload processing to the 1541 for increased performance.

The original drivers for the 1541 gave a throughput of 300 bytes per second or so. So 20 minutes to copy a 170k disk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm guessing that despite looking like everything in 3D Dot Game Heroes looking like voxels, they're actually not?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm guessing that despite looking like everything in 3D Dot Game Heroes looking like voxels, they're actually not?

Since when does that game look like it has voxels? This is what voxels look like

Delta Force 2, released in 1999

The game you mentioned is just a cruddy-looking Minecraft-alike with huge polygonal cubes mapped with textures. Voxels are conceptually and mathematically a lot different than simply building your world out of cubes as has been the fad for the last half-decade among low-effort games.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Feb 24, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wow this makes so much sense. You ray trace out onto the geometry and project the color that the ray passes through to the geometry. So from a still image with some 3D camera info you can suddenly texture a 3d world!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's also Euclideon, who are doing interesting things with laser scanning and realtime rendering. They have a tendency to make exaggerated claims (so far, they can support infinite detail, have banished loading, and produce the world's best graphics), but they really do appear to make an interesting product. Probably better as a viewer for a scan than an interactive engine, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIdcAVlONk

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Minecraft kinda poisons the voxel discussion well, since it uses voxels internally to store the world data, but everything's made of regular polygons. Dwarf Fortress is another game that uses voxels for storage, but it's rendered with just text graphics. A lot of newer games are using actual voxel rendering for terrain maps and deformable items however. Cryengine uses Voxels for terrain by default, for instance.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Computer viking posted:

There's also Euclideon, who are doing interesting things with laser scanning and realtime rendering. They have a tendency to make exaggerated claims (so far, they can support infinite detail, have banished loading, and produce the world's best graphics), but they really do appear to make an interesting product. Probably better as a viewer for a scan than an interactive engine, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIdcAVlONk

When it got to the forest scene, I noticed something that stuck with me - everything is totally static. That's fine when you're in a cathedral or such, but in the forest everything from trees to grass not moving at all seems alien.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Found this adorable piece of obsolete tech in a closet a few months ago, no idea how I came into possession of it. Windows 95, 32 mb of ram, 75 mhz processor, awww yeah. What I have my thumb on is the mouse nipple. My index and ring finger are on the left/right mouse buttons which are on the back of the sceren. Surprisingly, it ran a fully featured version of Microsoft Office. It was very uncomfortable to type on and I couldn't figure out any way to network it.

ninja edit: also, the battery no longer worked; it only ran on AC.

Gobbeldygook has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Dec 12, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Found this adorable piece of obsolete tech in a closet a few months ago, no idea how I came into possession of it. Windows 95, 32 mg of ram, 75 mhz hard drive, awww yeah. What I have my thumb on is the mouse nipple. My index and ring finger are on the left/right mouse buttons which are on the back of the sceren. Surprisingly, it ran a fully featured version of Microsoft Office. It was very uncomfortable to type on and I couldn't figure out any way to network it.

ninja edit: also, the battery no longer worked; it only ran on AC.

Well, with 32 milligrams of memory and a 75MHz hard drive, why wouldn't it be able to run office?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DNova posted:

Well, with 32 milligrams of memory and a 75MHz hard drive, why wouldn't it be able to run office?

Cut him some slack, he did say it was uncomfortable to type on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It should have a PCMCIA slot, just jam a network adapter in there and enjoy some Win95 viruses.