Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still want to see the regular combat for this game. It's the reason i keep going back to combat challenges in the arkham games.
Mastering the combat in Arkham City is the best feeling you can have in videogames. Jumping into a group of thugs, several of them armed with guns, and not breaking a sweat is Batman as gently caress. Especially rewarding that it's more or less completely based on your personal skill. Once you get good at it and quickly plan on your feet you shouldn't take any damage at all and keep a combo going indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still want to see the regular combat for this game. It's the reason i keep going back to combat challenges in the arkham games.

It is very very similar. The biggest difference at least so far are the environmental takedowns which are pretty fun and well-integrated. I was able to hop right in using skills from Arkham City with no difficulty at all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zsinjeh posted:

Mastering the combat in Arkham City is the best feeling you can have in videogames. Jumping into a group of thugs, several of them armed with guns, and not breaking a sweat is Batman as gently caress. Especially rewarding that it's more or less completely based on your personal skill. Once you get good at it and quickly plan on your feet you shouldn't take any damage at all and keep a combo going indefinitely.

I agree, that's what made me come back to it. At some point doing the challenges it taught me that If I have enough time, I can sneak in all the gadgets they gave me instead of just strongarming everything. Eventually, with enough time you get the hang of it and kinda start getting creative and preplan your attacks to lure thugs into your foam mines and poo poo.

Instead of throwing the fire extinguisher back at the thug who threw it...Why not throw a batarang while he has it on his hands, and then do a loving dragon kick? How rocksteady has made this so seamless is the major reason why i keep coming back to it. It doesn't look like some Smackdown Wrestling game where all the animations are jerky and unrealistic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

You can do environmental takedowns (like throwing guys into electrical outlets or the ceiling fan which looks super deadly but apparently is not)

Heh, sounds like somebody played Volition's 2005 Punisher game between Arkham installments.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

This is even more true in Origins where the new enemy types force you to rely more on controlling the environment to engage the new special enemies, rather than just using the same 2 take downs to remove shields/weapons and group stun, then engaging like normal.

Martial Artists, venom thugs, and brutes/armored brutes are awesome when you learn how to fight them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zsinjeh posted:

I love how, once everything clicked for me, I stopped trying to prevent thugs from unlocking the gun-cases and getting weapons, because it was easier to let them get their hands on the gun and then take it out of their hands and strip it down to parts in front of their horrified faces.

The poor bastards see that and you know they're thinking,"Oh gently caress this, I wanna go home :gonk:"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Not that means a lot but the Arkham Knight prequel comic has a direct reference to Origins on its first issue

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/batman-arkham-knight-preview-bruce-wayne-heads-back-into-darkness/#/0

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arkham Knight has earned an M rating. :stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huuuuuh.

I wonder what that means. I mean the previous games were not exactly tame. They were corpse-filled and violent and featured people being impaled or burned alive or other poo poo. Is it just additional gore?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've seen "reports" (as in mentioned on a random podcast months ago) of Red Hood having lethal takedowns. Might be related to that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've seen "reports" (as in mentioned on a random podcast months ago) of Red Hood having lethal takedowns. Might be related to that?

It's hard to imagine they'd be willing to take a rating hit over DLC content like that. An M-rating does impact your sales.

Plus The Joker had lethal takedowns in the PS3 Arkham and that didn't hit the rating at all. He straight up shot guys.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to imagine they'd be willing to take a rating hit over DLC content like that. An M-rating does impact your sales.

Plus The Joker had lethal takedowns in the PS3 Arkham and that didn't hit the rating at all. He straight up shot guys.

Is the Batman strong enough to overcome the malicious M?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's probably super hosed up scarecrow stuff.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In a poignant moment, the Batman is anally raped by Harley Quinn.

RATED M FOR MATURE

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Batman finally defeats the Arkham Knight in hand to hand combat, and removes his mask, only to reveal that it was the Joker all along!

Batman's response is a five minute long profanity filled rant about how he's so loving sick of this loving Joker oval office showing up all the goddamn time and it's so goddamn loving stupid.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

"Rated M for Dismembered Corpses and ultra realistic bat-anuses

ESRB can't handle Next Gen

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

God please don't let it be for sex stuff like bare boobs or people calling the female characters "bitches" even more than they used to

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Rated M for bat suit nipples.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You guys know you want a proper Professor Pyg in this game and an M rating was the only way it would work.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Didn't Deathstroke have some lethal-looking takedowns in Origins?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He was much more prone to using leg snaps, etc, (he'd even happily break the limbs of female combatants which Batman didn't do) but I don't think anything was "directly" letha.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ImpAtom posted:

Aren't Call of Duty games and GTA rated M? Because I am pretty sure they are and are also some of the better selling franchises across the board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Aren't Call of Duty games and GTA rated M? Because I am pretty sure they are and are also some of the better selling franchises across the board.

M doesn't mean your game sells bad but it does mean it sells worse than it would otherwise. It also depends on the type of game. Call of Duty is so hugely popular that isn't an issue for them but for something like Batman (which despite being grim-as-poo poo is marketed fairly hard to teenagers too) it is more unusual. Not completely unusual, I'm not saying it's shocking that it is rated M. Just that if it was about a particularly violent takedown in a DLC character they'd alter the takedown before they'd take an M hit, so it means it's probably something a bit more central.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

M doesn't mean your game sells bad but it does mean it sells worse than it would otherwise. It also depends on the type of game. Call of Duty is so hugely popular that isn't an issue for them but for something like Batman (which despite being grim-as-poo poo is marketed fairly hard to teenagers too) it is more unusual. Not completely unusual, I'm not saying it's shocking that it is rated M. Just that if it was about a particularly violent takedown in a DLC character they'd alter the takedown before they'd take an M hit, so it means it's probably something a bit more central.

Sefton Hill posted:

"From our point of view, we never wrote it or made it with a rating in mind. We never did that in the previous two games... We just felt that this is the story that we really wanted to tell."

"I'm not blind to the fact that [the M rating] does mean some fans will miss out... I don't want to be oblivious to that fact. It would have been wrong to water down the game and deliver a story we didn't believe in to keep the game 'mass market' or enable it for more people. We feel that's the wrong way to go about it. We said we love the story and we don't want to jepoardize that."

Yeah, it's something from the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crappy Jack posted:

Batman finally defeats the Arkham Knight in hand to hand combat, and removes his mask, only to reveal that it was the Joker all along!

Batman's response is a five minute long profanity filled rant about how he's so loving sick of this loving Joker oval office showing up all the goddamn time and it's so goddamn loving stupid.

This is the most plausible theory I've seen so far.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I do remember the Joker straight up shot people at point-blank range in some of the Origins cutscenes, does that sort of thing not count towards the ratings because it's not the player doing it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mzbundifund posted:

I do remember the Joker straight up shot people at point-blank range in some of the Origins cutscenes, does that sort of thing not count towards the ratings because it's not the player doing it?

Videogame ratings are infamously subjective (they're hard to make objective, honestly) but yes, player control is a major factor in how a given violent action is perceived/rated.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Crappy Jack posted:

The epilogue is Batman lifting out Joker's coffin, and...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ImpAtom posted:

Batman and comics in general can have trouble with ratings, since they're generally assumed to be for kids by the general public. I remember leaving The Dark Knight assuming it was rated R. It wasn't until weeks later I found out it was PG-13, and I could hardly believe it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

^^^ When Batman Returns was released, there was a small outcry about McDonald's packaging Batman merch with their happy meals since Burton's films definitely weren't for kids.

Discendo Vox posted:

Videogame ratings are infamously subjective (they're hard to make objective, honestly) but yes, player control is a major factor in how a given violent action is perceived/rated.

Joker was playable in asylum (and origins) and one of his gadgets was a gun he'd straight up murder people with. I'm guessing the M rating will come from gnarlier gore. The arkham games definitely had violence, murder and corpses but it was usually very clean.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I bet there's a Bruce Wayne love interest, complete with love scene, who is later killed by Arkham Knight. They always have to throw in a Wayne love interest at some point in a story. (the love scene is what gives the M)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Perhaps the love interest is the Arkham Knight?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Well if Jason Todd is in the game, it seems likely they could have a flashback to how the whole Robin thing ended up for him. Batman tripping balls on scarecrow juice and reliving his kid sidekick getting destroyed with a crowbar would be pretty massively hosed up and could warrant an m rating.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Perhaps the love interest is the Arkham Knight?

I doubt they'd completely steal the Mask of the Phantasm plot, but you never know.

EDIT: In that vein, anyone have any recommendations for good animated Batman movies? My kids love Phantasm, the one with Mr. Freeze, and the one with the Red Hood. What others are good so I don't have to cycle those 3 anymore?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 25, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Dark Knight Rises. :pervert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Batman gets a call from Gordon, he turns up at the Bat Signal on the roof to talk, and sees Gordon's silhouette.
Mid way through the conversation Gordon's voice distorts, a slight chuckle, then into outright laughter.
Then the Joker steps forward out of the shadow, wearing Gordon's head.
Rated M for Mature.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Orgophlax posted:

I doubt they'd completely steal the Mask of the Phantasm plot, but you never know.

EDIT: In that vein, anyone have any recommendations for good animated Batman movies? My kids love Phantasm, the one with Mr. Freeze, and the one with the Red Hood. What others are good so I don't have to cycle those 3 anymore?

Those are pretty much all the good ones.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Those are pretty much all the good ones.

Mystery of the Batwoman was pretty good. So was Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

The Dark Knight Returns movie was actually pretty well done. I can suggest that. Peter Weller as Bruce Wayne / Batman can be a little offputting at first though. Also the animated movie about the Flashpoint alternate universe heavily features the Flashpoint Batman, Thomas Wayne, and was a pretty good one. Those two for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sweet new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCQipBbeRo&feature=youtu.be

• Locked thread