Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

I thought Misfits season 3 and 4 were still pretty good, Finn is one of the worst characters on anything ever but Rudy makes up for it at times. Still haven't seen the last season though.

Finn is god awful and is the sole reason I stopped watching the show after Season 3. He makes me so angry

I binged watched through 2 season of the 4400 the other day. Thought it was all pretty good. Then as I was watching through season 3 I kind of got distracted and felt absolutely lost and then just stopped watching :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, so finally some actual thoughts on Six Feet Under now that I have a chance to write about it. Spoilers through the whole series.

I did end up liking Ruth. Her random outbreaks were awesome. All the people seemed genuinely real and although I didn't like some of them, I accepted them for who they were and that was just their character.

Namely, David and Rico...sometimes Claire. David just was a loving head case, although a lot of bad things happened to him. Rico was a bitch throughout the whole thing. He was about protecting his family and looking out for them, but gently caress man, Nate just died and David is obviously still dealing with it and you just come off as a prick. Though maybe he saw David like I did and just realized he was always going to be a trainwreck so he had to push the issue.

Claire was the typical art person lost youth that was just trying to find herself, but I still found her kind of annoying towards the end. The final season must have been when the war was getting big, because I felt that came out of nowhere for her. They planted the issue a bit early in the season, but when she was drunk and yelling at the dead veteran's sister in the second to last episode, it just seemed like it was put in at the last second.

I think I always disliked Brenda. I guess she's just a great product of her crazy upbringing. Though she seemed to appreciate Ruth near the end. However, that loving dream she had where she started jacking off Billy was loving disgusting.

Nate I always liked. Like Ruth, I really appreciated his outbursts where he just said what the gently caress was on his mind.

It was a great ending. It made me think that's where Eastbound and Down got their ending from, so I couldn't stop laughing through some of it while thinking of Kenny fuckin Powers riding around on a hovercraft scooter. I liked how the ended up keeping the house and it went back to Fischer and Sons.

Definitely glad I watched it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

krushgroove posted:

For anyone curious about Gomorrah, the TV series is based on a book called Gomorrah by an investigative reporter (who, being a reporter about the Italian mafia, had to go into hiding for a while), and there's a movie called Gomorrah, based on the same book. But! the TV series and movie don't have any of the same actors or characters, although you will recognize the apartment block where many of the TV series' characters live. If you're a fan of one you'll be a fan of the other.

Also, check out the wiki page about the Comorrite mafia around Naples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camorra

I read the book after watching the series(and the movie awhile before that) and it's cool coming across different events, scenes, background details, etc in it, some obvious and others not so much, that have been adapted and incorporated into the movie and show. It also cleared some stuff up for me. Like when I was watching the TV series I would think "these dudes are dressed way too much like fashionistos for a buncha ruthless inner city gangsters", but when I read the book I found out how the Camorra have the fashion industry on lock in a huge way, both legitimate and bootleg, and that a lot of the guys involved would have easy access to all the new poo poo.

Dave Angel posted:

His replacement Rudy also owns you'll be happy to hear.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yep. I was skeptical at first, but Rudy really comes into his own. The show changes a lot, but I liked it all the way through.

I tried the first epiosde he was in and I just couldn't bring myself to like him. I binged the first two seasons though, so it's probably a lot harder to accept the new character(and forget about Nathan) that way. I'll give the third season another chance sometime in the future.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

Watched the entire first season of Broadchurch recently.

Really awesome show, great characters and a solid mystery. Even when I started writing down all the clues as I went along, a lot of things came back and surprised me. And against all odds, I managed to successfully guess who the culprit was. So I get to feel arrogant about that.

Quoting from the top of the last page, but I also plowed through the first season of Broadchurch. I thought it was really slow and meandering for the first half, except for a few moments of actual detective-ing. The second half, thankfully, was actually really good, and I thought the season ended on a ridiculously high note. I didn't even guess the murderer, so I guess you've got me beat there. I don't know what I'll think about the second season without another crime to solve, but I'll at least check it out when it comes to Netflix.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've just started going through Justified. It seems alright so far - is it worth sticking with it the whole way through?

yea, gets better and better.

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 25, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Couple of shows I've been barreling through while the north east is a giant icicle:

Alpha House: Very enjoyable. Sometimes a little sitcom-y but overall a really fun show. John Goodman kills it and the main cast is just a group of absolute trainwrecks. I love that they were going to have the show be about 4 Democrat Senators living together but they went GOP because the endless material and cognitive dissonance angle they could play.

Episodes: On season 2 but Matt LeBlanc finally impresses me when he plays a fictional/dysfunctional version of himself. Also can be a bit sitcom-y at times but enjoyable nonetheless.

Man Seeking Woman: Threw this on today on a whim during dinner and already am wrapping up episode 3. I like the metaphor/literal technique they use. Hopefully it doesn't get old but so far it's clever and light-hearted fun.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just finished Warehouse 13. Now I'm sad :(.

E: Someone suggest another show in the same vein for me, preferably available on netflix (I would watch Eureka, but for some reason only seasons 4 and 5 are on it.)

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 26, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one episode away from finishing Breaking Bad.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm one episode away from finishing Breaking Bad.

A few days ago I went out to dinner with a group of people and one of them said that she was 2 episodes away from finishing Breaking Bad. I criticized her at first for not staying home and finishing it up immediately. And then commended her for actually having the willpower to hold off on it, since I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that at that point of the series.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trust me, I'm struggling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bowmore posted:

Trust me, I'm struggling.

Just do it, and join us in the Better Call Saul thread.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Quick opinion, what should I watch: Justified or Burn Notice?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I vote Justified.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been watching "Stop a Douchebag" on youtube, sometimes more than once. They're up to 21 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrKscEv_Ri1pvlRsLxsqJQ

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Trig Discipline posted:

Quick opinion, what should I watch: Justified or Burn Notice?

Justified. That's not even a choice...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, even I, unsure on Justified, can tell anyone who'll listen that Burn Notice is poo poo.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I've been binging Friday Night Lights over the past two weeks and currently a couple episodes from the end of Season 4. This show is really great. Other than season 2 being messed up by writers strike and just ending on a random episode with no conclusions I've been loving the stories.

Also pretty impressed with how well they transition out old characters due to graduation and transition in new characters throughout the series.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jingleheimer posted:

A few days ago I went out to dinner with a group of people and one of them said that she was 2 episodes away from finishing Breaking Bad. I criticized her at first for not staying home and finishing it up immediately. And then commended her for actually having the willpower to hold off on it, since I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that at that point of the series.

I know someone who quit watching Breaking Bad bad entirely after Season 5A, which ends on the most mind-boggling cliffhanger of the whole show up to that point. Just gave up the show. Didn't care about any of the characters. :psyduck:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, even I, unsure on Justified, can tell anyone who'll listen that Burn Notice is poo poo.

The first few seasons of Burn Notice are rather enjoyable and good. After a point it becomes horrible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Burn Notice is a load of old arse.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

qntm posted:

I know someone who quit watching Breaking Bad bad entirely after Season 5A, which ends on the most mind-boggling cliffhanger of the whole show up to that point. Just gave up the show. Didn't care about any of the characters. :psyduck:

I had a friend who (when season 5B wasn't on Netflix yet) thought she had finished the series at the end of 5A. She was like, so the show ends with Hank on the toilet? That's kind of weird.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Justified it is, thanks y'all. I didn't actually know anything about Burn Notice, just a vague recollection of its existence.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Trig Discipline posted:

Justified it is, thanks y'all. I didn't actually know anything about Burn Notice, just a vague recollection of its existence.

The episode intro tells you most of what you need to know. Michael Weston, former CIA operative, gets blackballed and thrown out into the cold and has to find out what's going on, with the assistance of his old Navy SEAL buddy, played by Bruce Campbell, his trigger-happy not-quite-ex-girlfriend, and his mother. In the meantime, he still needs to pay rent and his mother keeps finding people that need his help. The first season or three are actually pretty good, watching him MacGyver his way around helping people and searching for answers. Two big problems, though. FIrst, it has Gilligan's Island syndrome, if he uncovers the truth the show's over but if he never makes any progress the show's boring, so each season ends with "Sorry Michael, the answers you want are in another conspiracy". Second, the early seasons are about being clever and outsmarting the enemy, topping out IMHO with Michael convincing an entire street gang that he's literally Satan, but as time goes on they're more reliant on guns and explosions for problem-solving

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I've been binging through Lie to Me on Netflix. It stars Tim Roth as a man who's made a science out of reading people's facial expressions, body language, pitch of their voice, etc, to tell if they're lying or not. It's definitely a procedural with little to no overarching story, but I love it. Roth kills it as the rude, arrogant Cal Lightman. He has his own company, modestly named the Lightman Group, and they help the police and the FBI with cases.

It's actually based on a real science/scientists who studied so called micro expressions, split second facial expressions that are not only nearly impossible to hide because they are involuntary, but are also universal. The guys who discovered them in real life (Wiki here) found out that these expressions of basic emotions (fear, anger, happiness, etc) are the same in modern western civilizations as they are in tribes that live in remote areas of the world and have never had contact with the outside world.

Funny sidenote: I just watched an episode that was basically a reunion of The Shield. It had Acaveda, Danny Sofer, Lem, Ronny, Billings and a few I'm forgetting.

Again, it's a procedural, which I'm usually not that interested in. But the premise and the cast make it well worth a watch in my opinion.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Burn Notice has that one episode where Michael pretends to be the Devil. But it's not worth the rest of Burn Notice. Justified owns bones with a slight lull in the fifth season.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Burn notice was good for what it was: a show that was on in the summer and had an explosion each episode. I wouldn't want to binge it, but one a week over the summer was just right.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

richardfun posted:

I've been binging through Lie to Me on Netflix. It stars Tim Roth as a man who's made a science out of reading people's facial expressions, body language, pitch of their voice, etc, to tell if they're lying or not. It's definitely a procedural with little to no overarching story, but I love it. Roth kills it as the rude, arrogant Cal Lightman. He has his own company, modestly named the Lightman Group, and they help the police and the FBI with cases.

It's actually based on a real science/scientists who studied so called micro expressions, split second facial expressions that are not only nearly impossible to hide because they are involuntary, but are also universal. The guys who discovered them in real life (Wiki here) found out that these expressions of basic emotions (fear, anger, happiness, etc) are the same in modern western civilizations as they are in tribes that live in remote areas of the world and have never had contact with the outside world.

Funny sidenote: I just watched an episode that was basically a reunion of The Shield. It had Acaveda, Danny Sofer, Lem, Ronny, Billings and a few I'm forgetting.

Again, it's a procedural, which I'm usually not that interested in. But the premise and the cast make it well worth a watch in my opinion.

I really like this show. Tim Roth does a great job. It does require you to believe that Tim Roth's character is somehow the smartest man on the face of the earth by a good margin. There are times where it is a pretty far reach that he could figure something out based upon so little information.

In the end, it's a good show even if it can get a bit repetitive at times since all episodes are based on the same premise of figuring out who's lying.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I loved Lie to Me to death. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors, and like you said, he really nails the "gently caress you, I'm smarter than you" arrogance and makes it fun as hell.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pardot posted:

Burn notice was good for what it was: a show that was on in the summer and had an explosion each episode. I wouldn't want to binge it, but one a week over the summer was just right.

I agree, Burn Notice is a cheesey 80s action show with a basic cable budget and it excels at that. I love it and it's great fun without being heavy or something you absolutely can't miss an episode of.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember enjoying Lie to Me quite a bit for a few episodes, and then quickly getting bored of it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just finished Magic City. A series based around a magnificent hotel built in Miami during the late 1950's and early 1960's. This show is impressive in how great and lovely it is at the same time. I saw it pop up on netflix and I vaguely recalled seeing ads for this show because it seemed desperate to capture that Mad Men flavor. So I gave it a go.

Pros: The production is great. Outfits, scenery, stages, props, all gorgeous. The series is shot in a way that is a clear homage to Godfather 2. In fact, a lot of the audio effects and short music notes are the exact same. There is a warm lighting effect going on in most of the scenes. Even the audio seems to kind of have that ADR-esque quality (which works here). The way it looks, sounds, and feels is basically Godfather Part II. it is hard for me to overstate how much I loved these components.

Cons: Basically everything else is terrible. Some aspects are merely bad, but most are downright terrible. The scene writing is terrible. Although the overall plot story has some great ideas, the pacing and writing also sucks. Basically all of the characters are written poorly, and then you have terrible acting over it. Like really loving bad. Terrible direction is also likely a culprit because the lovely acting is so widespread.

I'd strongly recommend watching the first episode just to get a taste of how Godfather II-ish it feels. The seasons are 8 episodes, and the show made it two seasons before cancellation. Although I will say the end of season 2 works really well as a series finale. It is hard for me to recommend watching the whole series.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

qntm posted:

What? Why would you watch that far and quit then? idgi

I know someone who refuses to watch it on the basis that her friends told her to skip the first two seasons and that if that was necessary then it must be a bad show. I tried to tell her her friends are poo poo and wrong and that it's good from the start and she should just watch it but NOPE NOT WATCHING IT

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 28, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wafflecopper posted:

What? Why would you watch that far and quit then? idgi

I know someone who refuses to watch it on the basis that her friends told her to skip the first two seasons and that if that was necessary then it must be a bad show. I tried to tell her her friends are poo poo and wrong and that it's good from the start and she should just watch it but NOPE NOT WATCHING IT

I had someone who just thought that Walter White was too much of an unbelievable idiot (because of the refusal to take Gretchen and Elliot's money), that he couldn't get into the show. I kept saying that it was Walt's monstrous pride that kept him from doing that. Plus later on the show gets better,, since he gets into so many insane situations and has to figure out how to fix them all, one mistake after another, getting worse and worse, and he couldn't understand why anyone would find that compelling. I mean, Walt's not LOOKING to make mistakes, but he is just so bad at being a criminal.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

nwin posted:

Alright, so finally some actual thoughts on Six Feet Under now that I have a chance to write about it. Spoilers through the whole series.

Definitely glad I watched it.

I didn't read any of what you wrote because I just discovered Six Feet Under over the weekend and am currently binge-ing through it, but holy poo poo this show is good. I just finished season 2 last night and can't remember the last time I've felt this emotionally invested in a TV series. Having never heard of it before I started watching, I had just always assumed it was a show similar to the Walking Dead - oops.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I mean, Walt's not LOOKING to make mistakes, but he is just so bad at being a criminal.

I'd argue Walt is actually pretty good at being a criminal, he's just really poo poo with people. All he's downfalls come from an inability to manage he's relationships with the people around him, not necessarily a slip up in operations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd argue Walt is actually pretty good at being a criminal, he's just really poo poo with people. All he's downfalls come from an inability to manage he's relationships with the people around him, not necessarily a slip up in operations.

I mean he would not have gotten into the fight with Gus if he did not have the Jesse problem.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was visiting my brother a while back and he got me started watching Battlestar Galactica with him and his wife and came back home to continue it on my own. I just finished it and holy god drat it was so loving good.

It was a really well written and acted show. I'd read that people didn't like the ending and the last bits from season three on or whatever, but I thought it was all really good. Them trying for 'frak' was always a little silly, but after a season it didn't actively bother me anymore.

Just a really enjoyable, smart, emotional show. Good stuff.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Longmire is pretty great.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Can any confirm that the X-Files is disappearing off Netflix instant next month? A friend of mine posted a link to a site that says that it's disappearing. I don't normally trust anything like that, but if this is true then I gotta start marathoning asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

screenwritersblues posted:

Can any confirm that the X-Files is disappearing off Netflix instant next month? A friend of mine posted a link to a site that says that it's disappearing. I don't normally trust anything like that, but if this is true then I gotta start marathoning asap.

It might be. It looks like they have not reached a deal yet with Fox. So its possible and looks like I have to finish seasons 6-9 before the 1st.