Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I tried not to once, I was accused of going against meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hmmm, I was reading Somber's posts as total joke. But you may be right. I may be crazy. You might not be the lunatic I'm looking for.

Speaking of which, I'm seeing Billy Joel this summer and am super stoked about it.

Back to the mafia. It doesn't excuse your post. It is still a bad post. Whether or not Somber's vote was serious or a joke is tangential to the case. Disagreeing with someone's vote on someone is fine and dandy. Please do so. Doing so with a chiding tone and without backing is not cool. Explain why you think Somber shouldn't do that. You are planting seeds that a thing is something that should not be done because you said so. It is sneaky and subversive. I think you are scum for doing it. You then vote him without backing, or even a pretense of backing.

The VT thing is weird, but I have no reason to believe you would lie about that when it would be so easy for me to check. I will trust and not verify.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah okay

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You know what happened last time someone suggested a Somb/Grandi scum team?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

This sounds dismissive. I can't tell because it is the internet, but are you being dismissive?
This saddens me PMom.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They were right, celebrated as town heroes, legends were passed down through generations?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grandicap posted:

This sounds dismissive. I can't tell because it is the internet, but are you being dismissive?
This saddens me PMom.

Yeah.

Specifically, I'm being dismissive of the part where you say you will trust and not verify what I said about claiming VT, as if you're doing me a favour by believing me?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah.

Specifically, I'm being dismissive of the part where you say you will trust and not verify what I said about claiming VT, as if you're doing me a favour by believing me?

Oh, I am cool that you are being dismissive of that part. It was meant as a joke. The butt of the joke being my laziness in looking at your previous games. There is no reason for you to lie about something so trivial, that any number of people in this game could call you out about, or any number of people could look up easily.

I do not like that you are getting so worked up about it though. You are acting as if you are shutting down from a minute level of prodding. What's up?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No, I would not like to scumclaim. Any other questions?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not asking you to scumclaim, the what's up could pertain to non-mafia stuff too...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Your concern for my wellbeing is touching.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Like I wanna ask if you wanna talk because it feels like you had a bad day or something. But I can't put words around how to type that without sounding like I'm saying it like an insincere douchnozzle. Just know that I am not an insincere douchnozzle.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

You know what happened last time someone suggested a Somb/Grandi scum team?

This is a good way to engage the thread without interacting with any of the existing content.

Pin I think if you thought I was actually scum you probably would have voted me when I engaged Trill or shortly thereafter rather than waiting a while. I feel like you're misrepresenting your vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I thought you were suspish, and then your extreme mafia-dadding "oh well that's a good response for a newbie to have" that also served as an eject button from a case that wasn't getting traction made me think you're scum, so that's when I voted.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey if you were scum I think most of us would appreciate it if you would scumclaim. If you are not, however, don't do that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

##vote LM

I have a feeling!!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

##vote LM

Agreed.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think I should get voted out simultaneously in every game I'm playing. That would actually be kinda hilarious.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you think LM is scummy based on this post?

Little Mac posted:

Hey if you were scum I think most of us would appreciate it if you would scumclaim. If you are not, however, don't do that.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

you think LM is scummy based on this post?

I do.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
"...leave a message at the beep." *BEEP*

"Did you see the news from Berlin, Steve? capps is dead; someone snuck a bomb into the mission briefing. Langley's pissed; this is now two American assets lost, one high-level, and we still don't know who's doing it. They want blood, and they want it now. We need to see immediate progress.

"I know what your analysts are saying, Steve, that it had to be elements inside the team that planted the bomb. If we want to keep Langley happy, we need to demonstrate that we're investigating the people on that team, and that we're willing to take measures against them if necessary. Pick a team member to take point on the bombing aspect of this, and authorize them to enact final sanctions against whomever their investigation deems to be the bomber.

"This order came down from the top, Steve. Let's hope it's the right one."

~

:siren:A gun is now in play!:siren:

Until 8 PM EST tonight (roughly 12 hours), you may use the action ##arm <playername>. The player who has been armed by the most other players at 8 PM EST will be given the gun.

Rules for Arming:
  • You may not arm yourself.
  • You may not arm no one; if you take the action, it must name a player in the game. You are not required to use this action.
  • If you use the arm action multiple times, only your last (most recent) action will be considered.
  • You can not take back an arm action once made, only overwrite it with another arm action.
  • This is a plurality decision; the player with the highest number of players arming them gets the gun regardless of if it is a majority. However, if a majority is reached prior to 8 PM, the gun will be distributed early to that player.
  • In the event of a tie, the player who reached the number first will be given the gun.

Rules for Gun:
  • The gun is a one-shot gun that only works on D1.
  • To use the gun, the action ##shoot <playername> should be used in the thread.
  • If the gun is not used by the time the day ends (hammer or deadline), the gun is lost.
  • The gun being used does not end the day, and everyone except for the person being shot can continue discussion as normal.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 25, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm launching my campaign for Gunhaver.

Give Pin a gun 2015He's gonna shoot Grandicap with it

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Good morning, all!

Grandicap posted:

Here is an interesting exchange.

AN makes a joke, Somber counters with a joke vote. All fine and dandy here. Take a look at PMom's Mafia Momming here. You can almost feel the followup. I'm not mad Somber, I'm just disappointed.

So couple that with gems such as this confirmation post:

Because everyone loves claims for no reason.

And the followup to the calling somber out with this

Serious vote, but no backing. Somber backed off because of a tone post, that is what precipitated PM's vote.

PMom is scum.

##vote Pinterest Mom

Pinterest Mom posted:

This:

makes me look bad, like I'm overreacting to a joke vote.

What actually happened is:

and then Somber made it clear it wasn't a joke vote. He quotes AN's original post again and adds that it

and tries to get Trill to engage with him on his bad case on AN:

and that's when I chime in with

Somber/Grandi scum team. Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Grandicap posted:

Hmmm, I was reading Somber's posts as total joke. But you may be right. I may be crazy. You might not be the lunatic I'm looking for.

Speaking of which, I'm seeing Billy Joel this summer and am super stoked about it.

Back to the mafia. It doesn't excuse your post. It is still a bad post. Whether or not Somber's vote was serious or a joke is tangential to the case. Disagreeing with someone's vote on someone is fine and dandy. Please do so. Doing so with a chiding tone and without backing is not cool. Explain why you think Somber shouldn't do that. You are planting seeds that a thing is something that should not be done because you said so. It is sneaky and subversive. I think you are scum for doing it. You then vote him without backing, or even a pretense of backing.

The VT thing is weird, but I have no reason to believe you would lie about that when it would be so easy for me to check. I will trust and not verify.

This exchange seemed odd to me. Grandi makes a three-pronged case on PMom (tone talking to Somber, claiming VT, vote on Somber) and declares him scum. Fine. PMom clarifies what happened, refuting his points. To me, the normal thing to do would be to acknowledge that the case was incorrect and either look elsewhere or ask questions. Instead:

Grandicap posted:

Oh, I am cool that you are being dismissive of that part. It was meant as a joke. The butt of the joke being my laziness in looking at your previous games. There is no reason for you to lie about something so trivial, that any number of people in this game could call you out about, or any number of people could look up easily.

I do not like that you are getting so worked up about it though. You are acting as if you are shutting down from a minute level of prodding. What's up?

He continues throwing suspicion on PMom saying he's "worked up from questioning" - I'm not sure I see that. It makes me feel like Grandi is more interested in trying to convince people that PMom is scum than trying to figure out who scum is.

Grandicap posted:

Like I wanna ask if you wanna talk because it feels like you had a bad day or something. But I can't put words around how to type that without sounding like I'm saying it like an insincere douchnozzle. Just know that I am not an insincere douchnozzle.

This post feels like a tell that Grandi is concerned about what image he's presenting to the thread, which to me indicates scum.

##vote Grandicap

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm listening..

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

True and Real posted:

(to Somber re: AN) Can you elaborate?

How about Somber's read on the new guy? What do you think of that?

Ernie, have you seen anything so far that suggests someone might be scum?

Diqnol has no issues asking questions to get other people to generate content. But his case on Mac seems really low-effort to me:

True and Real posted:

Ernie, do you like LM's jokevote there?

Murmur Twin posted:

Why question LM's vote but not Hurt's?

True and Real posted:

Am I expected to question everything at all times?

Murmur Twin posted:

Let me rephrase: what about LM's vote prompted your questioning it?

True and Real posted:

I don't like it.

True and Real posted:

##vote LM

I have a feeling!!

Diqnol is high on my list as well. Regarding Mac:

Little Mac posted:

I think I should get voted out simultaneously in every game I'm playing. That would actually be kinda hilarious.

Mac's lack of defensiveness here feels town to me.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pinterest Mom posted:

I dig it. ##arm Pinterest Mom

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think we should arm Mills. He'd have to use it and it'd be a good way to discern his alignment, I think. God knows I could use something to help me with that.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah.

Pinterest Mom posted:

You don't feel like these posts sound prickly? I feel like I was doing normal casing stuff and PMom was bristling.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

I am confuse by this... You have said you think I'm wrong, and accused me of asking you to scumclaim and stuff, but you never implied it was scummy before. Why would you shoot me when you have a read on Somber?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

True and Real posted:

I think we should arm Mills. He'd have to use it and it'd be a good way to discern his alignment, I think. God knows I could use something to help me with that.

No, this is wrong. We're not arming someone and letting them decide what to do with it. We're using this as an extra opportunity to dunk someone. Arm someone who pledges to kill someone you think is scum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grandicap posted:

I am confuse by this... You have said you think I'm wrong, and accused me of asking you to scumclaim and stuff, but you never implied it was scummy before. Why would you shoot me when you have a read on Somber?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Somber/Grandi scum team. Bag 'em and tag 'em.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If you arm me, I'll use it to vig the person I feel is least likely to be a good part of the game. Not sure who that is at the moment though, sec

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hurt or font, maybe? Yeesh. Maybe I'd shoot Mac then, he's on the bottom end of the list too though nobody is standing out (a good thing)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, this is wrong. We're not arming someone and letting them decide what to do with it. We're using this as an extra opportunity to dunk someone. Arm someone who pledges to kill someone you think is scum.

I think using it as a means of scum hunting is also smart. The vastly superior reason to arm someone is for both of these things and, perhaps, someone you think is town. The third aspect I think is ideal but not necessary.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##arm pmom

The decision to arm is much less interesting than that person's decision to kill. I'd rather move through this phase quickly and then see how PMom handles the shot.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm having trouble believing the argument that grandi is scum. What usually feels scummy to me is when someone gets really defensive and tries to point to someone else immediately as scum.

##vote Pmom

Still don't know who to arm though. I kind of like True's idea to arm someone we are unsure about to find their allegiance.

Ninja edit to bold vote

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think PMom is an easier read.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm having trouble believing the argument that grandi is scum. What usually feels scummy to me is when someone gets really defensive and tries to point to someone else immediately as scum.

##vote Pmom

Still don't know who to arm though. I kind of like True's idea to arm someone we are unsure about to find their allegiance.

You have to bold your votes!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Clearly I'm not ninja enough

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You could arm me. I have no idea what I'd do with a gun right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

##arm Mills

• Locked thread