Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Well that's reassuring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
On the brightside you're about six months from BAH'd freedom. The AF and Navy barracks at GA/MD frequently overfill so you can move out even if you're not an E5.

Except Internet Wizard. Your barracks are always empty. I think gunny just moved out last week

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Analogical posted:

On the brightside you're about six months from BAH'd freedom. The AF and Navy barracks at GA/MD frequently overfill so you can move out even if you're not an E5.

Except Internet Wizard. Your barracks are always empty. I think gunny just moved out last week

:gibs:
I'm putting in my dream sheet pretty soon. I'm assuming Lejeune is the least awful of my choices?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Internet Wizard posted:

:gibs:
I'm putting in my dream sheet pretty soon. I'm assuming Lejeune is the least awful of my choices?

Why would you assume that? Jacksonville sucks unless you like getting tattoos or strip clubs.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Why would you assume that? Jacksonville sucks unless you like getting tattoos or strip clubs.

Or you can head down to Miami and get both at the same time.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
The only legit reason to pick CLJN is if it's close to home. Anything else is better.

vains
May 26, 2004

safetyStanddown posted:

The only legit reason to pick CLJN is if it's close to home. Anything else is better.

The only legit reason to pick Lejuene is if the alternative is 29 Palms. No matter how often people say 'Well Vegas is only 2 hours and LA/San Diego are 3' those are still really long drives, outside of liberty radius probably, and expensive.

edit: I apologize if this isn't relevant. I assume there is a 1st intel/1st radbn detachment at 29palms.

vains fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My only other likely option, really, is support in like Georgia.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The only legit reason to pick Lejuene is if the alternative is 29 Palms.

People bitch, whine, moan and complain about 29 because they're weak and have no self control. If you have self control and a car it's not a bad duty station. They do have the internet at 29 so most of you goony fucks are set anyway.

vains
May 26, 2004

Steezo posted:

People bitch, whine, moan and complain about 29 because they're weak and have no self control. If you have self control and a car it's not a bad duty station. They do have the internet at 29 so most of you goony fucks are set anyway.

Relative to Pendleton and Lejuene, its terrible. I don't know what self-control has to do with anything since 29 Palms imposes an ascetic monkish existence on its denizens.

If you say "but the training is good", you're gay. Training doesn't get your dick sucked at Tobies.

edit: if you like it, cool whatever. A majority of people do not or would not.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

edit: I apologize if this isn't relevant. I assume there is a 1st intel/1st radbn detachment at 29palms.

There is not.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

The only legit reason to pick Lejuene is if the alternative is 29 Palms. No matter how often people say 'Well Vegas is only 2 hours and LA/San Diego are 3' those are still really long drives, outside of liberty radius probably, and expensive.

There's no SIGINT activity of significance at 29 Palms, so no.
Also, 29 Palms isn't that awful. The on-base amenities are far nicer than any other USMC base, save maybe for Miramar. Last time I did EMV (I'm out now, this was 2012), I had some really great times at the NCO club. If you like the desert, especially offroading, then it's p chill in that regard too. As you noted, there are some nice places a couple of hours away. It's the same for Lejeune, I would find myself driving out to Raleigh/Durham nearly every weekend because I couldn't loving stand it in the local area. Even flew to Charlotte and back a couple of times for shows.
I would hate to have to choose between Lejeune and 29 Palms, as both are quite lovely places, but if I were still active duty and single, I'd prob pick 29 Palms just for the sake of being in Cali, gently caress Lejeune.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015
At the Fort Bragg SF language course they told us stories about DLI since some of the instructors had taught there, and it just blew my mind. I'm still convinced half of that poo poo was just urban legend that had festered in the military, but at the same time I imagine a bunch of people who wanted to learn farsi aren't the roughest toughest bunch.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Having actually gone to DLI I have come to the conclusion that literally any "DLI story" is absolutely plausible. Place is hosed up.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Friar Zucchini posted:

Having actually gone to DLI I have come to the conclusion that literally any "DLI story" is absolutely plausible. Place is hosed up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Friar Zucchini posted:

So true

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Friar Zucchini posted:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Let's just say I don't like talking to OSI.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Big DoD says 3/3 is the only passing scores now and everyone subpar will be forced to retake language training until they reach it. Prepare your assholes boys. Apparently, they've been losing over 100m+ a year due to the sub 3/3s.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Do you have a link?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Imagine spending an entire enlistment in DLI.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I graduate a month before my two-year mark.

edit: is this 3/3 thing going to be for all linguists drawing FLP pay or just cryptos working with strategic? Any idea when this will go into effect? Can you say at all?

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 6, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

No link or official statement yet that I've seen, my friend was told by the senior language advisor of an org he was getting orders to who talked about it with him when they discussed his languages. What was explained was that 2+/2+ will be the new 1+/2 to leave DLI, and then they'll get 2 chances to improve in the 3 or 6 week refresher courses available at their first duty station, but then the money cuts and they get reclassed. The Navy still technically only requires a 1+/1+ to hold a linguist NEC, so direct support units probably sidestep it.

They cited the 100+ people that fill casuals at each command for their entire contract taking expensive language classes over and over without passing, either because they can't or they don't want to. And that's just people trying to reach 2/2. At the same time though they've been saying they're raising passing to 2+/2+ for over a year and we've never heard anything officially about that either, so it could take longer than our time as linguists to fully implement. I mean, think about the loss of personnel. Granted there are a lot of 3+s running around in Arabic, most of the workforce is 1+/2 to 2+/2+.

However, the Navy is also cutting Arabic linguists loose. Anyone substandard isn't eligible for re-enlistment as a CTI right now, with re-language on a case to case basis. We're over a hundred linguists too heavy in Arabic and it's dialects, so it might be part of the force shaping, though this impacts civilian and contracted linguists too. I'm not sure what the numbers are like for the other branches. Anyone actually working can probably check with the DoD's SLA. My CLPMs didn't seem to know anything about it, but they never seem very plugged into the national chain.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Last I heard was they were aiming for a 2020 (or was it 2025?) timeframe for raising DLI standards to 2+/2+.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That'd be more realistic, they can't just drop that many personnel all at once. Sucks for the next gen though

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I came in being super excited about being stationed somewhere overseas, but all I got was Farsi. Started my first day of actual language today and my friend who started Urdu two weeks ago spent his weekend being completely shitfaced. One of the people I came with from BMT has pretty much severed with the rest of us in favor of drawing manga. I love my new life.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
زبانت مبارک

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

خورد دیک من از پشت

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're gonna be here for a while so pace yourself. Don't let the language get ahead of you. Don't, under any circumstances, let personal stuff from back home distract you. It sucks, but there will be times when you'll have to ignore your family to some degree.

If you go to the Duck (it's the Bear and the Bull now but nobody calls it that) watch your drink, and don't get picked up by a cougar.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Internet Wizard posted:

If you go to the Duck (it's the Bear and the Bull now but nobody calls it that) watch your drink, and don't get picked up by a cougar.

Alternatively do, and come let us know. We had a lot of fun pushing one of our friends onto the old, overweight women dancing for the lovely live bands there.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Talk about places downtown, I heard from reliable sources (i.e. still at DLI) the hookah bar got blacklisted a few months ago for drug activity. I loved that place. :smith:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah, Indian Summer got blacklisted by all of the commands for underage drinking and drugs about a month ago.

I hadn't been there in like 8 months or something like that because yeah, that was pretty much where underage Marines or the boots that didn't know about better places went.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

خورد دیک من از پشت

It would be more like از پشت من کیرم بخوری

EDIT: I think

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 9, 2015

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm just really upset to hear they renamed the Duck, mainly because I hate change in any form whatsoever.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

I'm just really upset to hear they renamed the Duck, mainly because I hate change in any form whatsoever.
Agreed. And speaking of change, did you ever get that RX moved, or are you gonna keep that avatar forever?

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Deathy McDeath posted:

It would be more like از پشت من کیرم بخوری

EDIT: I think

Don't forget your ra, you loving peasant.

Also lol for anyone struggling to get a 2+/2+ only to come to a tactical unit where language means nothing and getting support for your language is near impossible because you need to learn how to use X piece of equipment or do Y bullshit "real" Army training, or just go to the field this week, that week, and every other week forever.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Friar Zucchini posted:

Agreed. And speaking of change, did you ever get that RX moved, or are you gonna keep that avatar forever?

Both, at least until I piss someone off enough to buy me a new avater. That RX is now taking up a parking space outside of my apartment building rather than the old spot at DLI.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Androies posted:

Don't forget your ra, you loving peasant.

Don't tell me what to do! ! خاک به سرت

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Androies posted:

Also lol for anyone struggling to get a 2+/2+ only to come to a tactical unit where language means nothing and getting support for your language is near impossible because you need to learn how to use X piece of equipment or do Y bullshit "real" Army training, or just go to the field this week, that week, and every other week forever.
Tell that from the guy from my class whose 3/3 sent him to a special forces unit.

Professor Bling posted:

Both, at least until I piss someone off enough to buy me a new avater. That RX is now taking up a parking space outside of my apartment building rather than the old spot at DLI.
I can't imagine it's in any kind of usable condition? Just from what I saw where it had clearly been sitting for however many years it looked like the best that could be said was "there's still hope".

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread