Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FactsAreUseless posted:

My rabbit had no conception of the outside world, which was nice, since he never tried to run off.

My rabbit, unfortunately, has some days wherein she possesses an extremely strong conception of the outside world, which usually leads to me running into this kind of situation in the morning:

This changes my original plan of going in, checking on her to see if she's okay, and going out after about thirty seconds or so, into a survival horror game wherein the object I use to prevent her from charging headlong into the outside world (my foot) is subject to extreme trauma via excited bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet has discovered that my roomate's service dog has a very comfy bed. It is now hers.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So my rabbit loves loving peeing on plastic surfaces now. I have this plastic material i bought from home depot that i put over my wires and cords, and for whatever reason, he now likes to pee on this surface no matter where it's placed.

It started in my bedroom, i covered up my modem and cables with the plastic, and now its gotten to the point where the second he hops onto the surface he pees. So I banned him from my bedroom for awhile, and now today he did the same thing in my living room with a different piece of the same material.

He NEVER did this before, and hes neutered so im so confused :( He doesnt seem to pee anywhere else but plastic surfaces and his litter box.

Any advice/feedback would be very helpful.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Protect the material that's there to protect stuff with some sort of rug/carpeting, or just use something like that instead? No telling whether it's a surface thing or a smell thing inspiring him to resort to chemical warfare. Maybe he's just protesting you denying him his fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/02/03/mxp-bts-giant-rabbits-take-over-neighborhood.hln?iid=ob_article_footer_expansion&iref=obnetwork

It has begun. The Lagomorpha invasion is at hand!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I for one welcome our new furry long eared overlords.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm guessing they don't have much of a stray cat or dog problem in Fargo.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Consider: we rabbit owners know to pet the head, not the sides.

What I'm saying is, we might get lucky, be spared, and kept for servants when our rabbity overlords finally act.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm guessing they don't have much of a stray cat or dog problem in Fargo.

Not since the giant rabbits destroyed them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not since the giant rabbits destroyed them.
The Wide Patrols are extremely effective.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Wide Patrols are extremely effective.

LONG PATROL. EULALIIIIAAAAAAAAAA

BLOOD AN' VINEGAR

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

LONG PATROL. EULALIIIIAAAAAAAAAA

BLOOD AN' VINEGAR
What the gently caress is this.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the gently caress is this.

Have you ever read the Redwall series?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you think I was referencing Redwall and not, say, Watership Down, the rabbit novel about rabbits?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you think I was referencing Redwall and not, say, Watership Down, the rabbit novel about rabbits?

Watership down traumatized me so much as a child that I only remember bloody, horrible bunny fights. I don't remember much else! Sorry to disappoint.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you think I would not immediately start yelling things from books about woodland creatures beating the everloving poo poo out of each other? Lotta assuming going on here

(I love both Watership and the Redwall series)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BABY BUNNIES and my boss gets attacked by a peacock

http://youtu.be/KibTjwPez1g

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pepper lives inside 100% of the time. It's supposed to get to -15 on Thursday. Her room can get a little cool, is there anything I can do to help or is the fact that she's in a heated room good enough?

Pepper says thank you:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bean posted:

Pepper lives inside 100% of the time. It's supposed to get to -15 on Thursday. Her room can get a little cool, is there anything I can do to help or is the fact that she's in a heated room good enough?

Pepper says thank you:

I've read that rabbits shouldn't be kept outside without protection from the wind in below zero weather. She'll be fine, just give her some extra hay to nest/eat if you're worried. Rabbits handle cold far better than they handle heat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bean posted:

Pepper says thank you:

If she's inside the house she is fine. If you want to fill a box with hay and put it in her area sideways so she can bury herself go ahead but she has a double layer fur coat on that covers everything but her nose and her butt. She's going to be fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
more pictures of gracie being beautiful. does anyone know what sort of breed she might be? we've been looking at pictures and have no idea at all. the only rabbit I've seen that looks just like her is a wild one in a park in british columbia. she's a sweet girl, sort of. she's bossy and doesn't like strangers, but her beauty always wins everyone over. she's nine years old too which means she's wiser than most people I know

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 25, 2015

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Former college roommate finally having some success bonding her two bunnies who are both major drama queens:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gracie looks like a mix, maybe with a little Dutch in her?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Peanut got head tilt, luckily my gf picked it up immediately and the vet got her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories which are helping already. Really tough to watch her sitting there, eyes twirling and constantly correcting her head as it slides over. Silly bunnies.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Prawned posted:

Peanut got head tilt, luckily my gf picked it up immediately and the vet got her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories which are helping already. Really tough to watch her sitting there, eyes twirling and constantly correcting her head as it slides over. Silly bunnies.

I lost 2 of mine to head tilt. It's stupid that drat rabbits get it all the loving time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I had been working with a pair of new zealands on the farm I work at, untill we found the female had contracted some kind of snuffles. I can no longer go into the hutch area without serious biosecurity. Fortunately, my responsibilities lie entirely with the goats, so my not being able to help with the buns is not a big problem. I just wish I could. Working with rabbits is like a natural antidepressant.

If I ever was a vector for Ella getting snuffles, I would never forgive myself. Neither would my dad.

So it's

Vs

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 27, 2015

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Peanut's doing much better thankfully, and we moved to a new place now with a carpeted living area. This is bunny heaven evidently, as they are going absolutely apeshit everytime they are let out, running in circles and doing flikflaks for hours on end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prawned posted:

Peanut's doing much better thankfully, and we moved to a new place now with a carpeted living area. This is bunny heaven evidently, as they are going absolutely apeshit everytime they are let out, running in circles and doing flikflaks for hours on end.
Rabbits do way better on something that gives them traction, since they have no pads on the bottoms of their feet. What kind of floor were they on before?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

An unexpected side effect of medical marijuana. Tentatively related, because my bunny acts like this normally. Should I be more concerned about the greens I'm giving her? (Skip to 3:45-4:00 to hear a very strange story about a blazed bun.)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
SPRING IS COMING

For springtime variety, wander the yard and pick early dandelion plants for the bun and your own salads! Mind that it's pesti and herbicide free. Only eat or feed out plants you can positively identify.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dammerung posted:

An unexpected side effect of medical marijuana. Tentatively related, because my bunny acts like this normally. Should I be more concerned about the greens I'm giving her? (Skip to 3:45-4:00 to hear a very strange story about a blazed bun.)

I'm down with stoned out of their minds bunnies. I bet they are more cuddly.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits do way better on something that gives them traction, since they have no pads on the bottoms of their feet. What kind of floor were they on before?

Ya I knew that (from reading this thread amongst other things). They were on hardwood floors and tiles, and they kind of learned to hop in such a way as to not slip so this is like bunny heaven

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Ok so my girlfriends bunny is like maybe a little over a month old at this point, and it's basically a puppy. It follows me around the house whenever I'm walking around and every time i stop walking its on it's hind legs as high as it can stretch. When my missus is on the lounge she climbs up onto her lap and cuddles for long stretches of time, is this behaviour likely to hang around after puberty if we desex her or is she going to turn into a moody teenager?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm down with stoned out of their minds bunnies. I bet they are more cuddly.

I wouldn't mind having my bun get a little more relaxed. I can't tell if she's just excited or what, but she turns into a fuzzy little tornado whenever we try to pick her up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Griffball posted:

Ok so my girlfriends bunny is like maybe a little over a month old at this point, and it's basically a puppy. It follows me around the house whenever I'm walking around and every time i stop walking its on it's hind legs as high as it can stretch. When my missus is on the lounge she climbs up onto her lap and cuddles for long stretches of time, is this behaviour likely to hang around after puberty if we desex her or is she going to turn into a moody teenager?
I've never noticed a big difference in pre and post puberty behavior in a spayed rabbit.

Also always spay females.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never noticed a big difference in pre and post puberty behavior in a spayed rabbit.

Also always spay females.

If anything females get less territorial after spaying.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Hello bunny lovers, I have an inquiry.

Friend of mine's dog went after a rabbit offspring in a burrow next to their house and gave it some minor wounds. They took it in and have been taking care of it for a few days since they didn't see the mother at first and assumed she was dead. After about a week, the baby has been nursed back to health and the last few days they noticed there's been an older rabbit living in the burrow, and have seen it looking all around the house walls and yard all day.

Safe bet it's the mother. If they return the kid will the mom hadouken it out of the nest bird-style if she smells human on it? If they keep it, how long do rabbit mothers retain their maternal instincts without seeing the kid? Poor girl must be going out of her mind looking for it.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 7, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hello bunny lovers, I have an inquiry.

Friend of mine's dog went after a rabbit offspring in a burrow next to their house and gave it some minor wounds. They took it in and have been taking care of it for a few days since they didn't see the mother at first and assumed she was dead. After about a week, the baby has been nursed back to health and the last few days they noticed there's been an older rabbit living in the burrow, and have seen it looking all around the house walls and yard all day.

Safe bet it's the mother. If they return the kid will the mom hadouken it out of the nest bird-style if she smells human on it? If they keep it, how long do rabbit mothers retain their maternal instincts without seeing the kid? Poor girl must be going out of her mind looking for it.

She will usually take it back. They are prey so they don't actually spend much time on the nest they build . They don't want to attract attention. Leave it out early early in the morning one day before the sun comes up. Rabbits are crepuscular so they are most active morning and evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I don't know if this is the correct thread or not, but I've been considering raising meat rabbits for food. Does anyone have any good resources or a thread to point me to?