Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Except why have it be grim dark at all?

I've seen plenty of people who want SERIOUS or MATURE Power Rangers, which is possible if not plausible.

Look I'll be frank on this- I'm planning a serious original series inspired by Power Rangers. If things go well, it'd be a comic series, and its entirely built from my love for the genre, tokustatsu in general.

The super simple plot summary is as follows- Threats from outer space are attacking the Earth, five young adults with other worldly power are the only things that can stop them.

Because that's fine. You can have outlandish things in a serious work.

What it comes down to, as was expertly put above- execution. You can have the shittiest idea in the world, but if you're smart and it has good writing, no one will care because it's good.

A lot of the older Super Sentai works basically follow something similar where some strange threat appears and a group of 3-5 people aided by technology or magic or whatever are the only ones who can stop this threat from doing whatever the gently caress it's planning. Adding guns and tits and violence doesn't make something Serious and Mature. Only a child would think that. Dealing with the consequences of actions or the realities of life is what makes it Serious and Mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

A lot of the older Super Sentai works basically follow something similar where some strange threat appears and a group of 3-5 people aided by technology or magic or whatever are the only ones who can stop this threat from doing whatever the gently caress it's planning. Adding guns and tits and violence doesn't make something Serious and Mature. Only a child would think that. Dealing with the consequences of actions or the realities of life is what makes it Serious and Mature.

And we've looped back around to why the Nolan flicks didn't actually do anything all that interesting with the concept of Batman. It was great at presenting Batman as something kinda-maybe-almost plausible, but then rarely following through on the ridiculous implications of what it presented in favor of "hey don't you want to see (fan thing) done in NOLAN STYLE?" On a similar note the Star Wars Prequels, for all the deserved poo poo they get, at least made a first draft attempt at being about the politics of a Republic and how a Fascist State could be formed.

A "serious and mature" take on Sentai would involve the child soldiers angle and be about "boring" things like the politics of government and intergalatic alien factions, the role of media in engaging these Sentai characters, and how such fallout affects their personal lives and relationships, with fights to punctuate things like musical numbers. Played right with rival Sentai characters for the other armies and it could actually be pretty interesting, almost Game of Thrones-y with an even more basic "Allegiances to one of several Houses" angle to it to keep the soap operatics fresh and engaging. Violence and Sex don't even enter the equation except as flavor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

And we've looped back around to why the Nolan flicks didn't actually do anything all that interesting with the concept of Batman. It was great at presenting Batman as something kinda-maybe-almost plausible, but then rarely following through on the ridiculous implications of what it presented in favor of "hey don't you want to see (fan thing) done in NOLAN STYLE?" On a similar note the Star Wars Prequels, for all the deserved poo poo they get, at least made a first draft attempt at being about the politics of a Republic and how a Fascist State could be formed.

A "serious and mature" take on Sentai would involve the child soldiers angle and be about "boring" things like the politics of government and intergalatic alien factions, the role of media in engaging these Sentai characters, and how such fallout affects their personal lives and relationships, with fights to punctuate things like musical numbers. Played right with rival Sentai characters for the other armies and it could actually be pretty interesting, almost Game of Thrones-y with an even more basic "Allegiances to one of several Houses" angle to it to keep the soap operatics fresh and engaging. Violence and Sex don't even enter the equation except as flavor.

I wouldn't say other armies really. Multiple factions, yes. But armies are a bit much. Aping Kamen Rider Gaim's set up is closer to what a Mature version of Power Rangers might be and it's still as toyetic as any other Rider series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

I wouldn't say other armies really. Multiple factions, yes. But armies are a bit much. Aping Kamen Rider Gaim's set up is closer to what a Mature version of Power Rangers might be and it's still as toyetic as any other Rider series.

Well factions in general. I kept thinking of "the Machine Army" while I was writing that. My point stands.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

There's some pages from Flex Mentallo that perfectly explain that dichotomy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well factions in general. I kept thinking of "the Machine Army" while I was writing that. My point stands.

IMO, there'd be three sets at most. One is the main team with stuff from an otherwise benevolent source. There's a military based group and then there's a private group whose source is questionable or at best, unknown. Any more characters and the plot couldn't support them adequately given that it would be hard enough to support one team.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

You could go the route of the Evil Villain actually motivated by society shunning him (they did that with Ransik in TF). Or the Mentor Figure actually suppressing rival factions. Or the Power Corrupts angle. Or a longform mystery thread where the heroes find that their predecessors were actually war criminals/evil, or that their powers are harmful somehow. But then it wouldn't be Power Rangers.

In contrast, the best Power Rangers movie we've had so far (Pacific Rim) showed how giant punchfights with monsters could be funny.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I imagine blood n' tits. Standard stuff. I only watched the Vimeo version but I imagine the YT version didn't feature the Black Ranger in bed with 2 very buxom naked women.

I watched a YT version and it did feature two buxom ladies in bed with the Black Ranger. It also credited Bree Olson as Divatox and Amia Miley as Scorpina.

Oh Katee Sackoff, why do you always have to play straight roles turn weird where you're actually something else altogether for no reason

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Hey Podcasters With Attitude guys, how about a bonus episode on Kamen Rider Dragon Knight? That should be good for getting Burk to burst a blood vessel or two. :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SilentChaz posted:

Hey Podcasters With Attitude guys, how about a bonus episode on Kamen Rider Dragon Knight? That should be good for getting Burk to burst a blood vessel or two. :v:

If it'll make Burk angry, then I vote yes. Do I get to drink beforehand, or do I have to do it sober?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

If it'll make Burk angry, then I vote yes. Do I get to drink beforehand, or do I have to do it sober?

I say that's your call. I don't know how good/bad Dragon Knight is exactly though. I haven't heard much about it other than it exists.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cernunnos posted:

I say that's your call. I don't know how good/bad Dragon Knight is exactly though. I haven't heard much about it other than it exists.

It has mark Dacascos, so it is good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

It has mark Dacascos, so it is good.

The cunning Wing Commander IV argument.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It was mostly a joke, but SPD is actually, like, a law enforcement outfit. I think there's a few scenes of Delta Red harassing street criminals and poo poo in the series run.

But as with all LEOs, there's a group that goes renegade and SPD Delta squad has to order tactical SWATstyle gear and... it's a pretty odd look at law enforcement militarization if you strip away the kiddie fare.

So basically you have a galactic group of power-ranger cops running around power rangering in the name of the law. Sounds like a great Zord Industrial Complex thing similar to what was being proposed up there.

I actually watched a few episodes of Dekaranger, the Super Sentai series SPD is based on. Turns out the whole "Capture Card" capabilities of the rangers' weapons was an English invention; it seemed like such a Japanese thing to do, collecting all the criminal cards and such. It's a little chilling watching the Japanese version and realizing that the rangers instead are literally executing criminals in the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSSV3J1zoCI

Doggles fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah- though I tend to roll my eyes at times when they are actively NOT killing the monsters they're fighting, SPD made the correct call given what they're supposed to be.

Super Sentai isn't about Judge loving Dredd so they shouldn't share his morality. And unless the Dekaranger villains were WAY more inhuman than the SPD lot, that's pretty hair raising.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I've never seen a fan film with a bigger star attached to it than the actual property has ever had, that's so weird.

Edit: Actually the production values are surprisingly good.

The producer is actually Adi Shankar, who is a major producer (he was one of the executive producers on Dredd) so it's not too shocking the values are decent. He's produced a couple of other short fan-films like this one and usually manages to do the whole "wow this person's more famous than I would have figured" role for each of them. Like the one about the Punisher where he got Thomas Jane from the '04 movie to play the part.

I thought the dialog was hokey but enjoyable. Although I really would've loved more like that one fight scene.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I didn't hate that fan thing. It's dumb but it's probably less dumb than an actual hollywood take on the concept would have been. I mean at least I got to see a power ranger cut people and blood came out!

The audio levels were pretty uneven and some of the dialog was awful but it's still about 90000% less embarrassing than watching an actual episode of Power Rangers*.

*because like, there's no retarded accent monster or intentionally obnoxious character or alpha 5

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

*because like, there's no retarded accent monster or intentionally obnoxious character or alpha 5
I'm surprised there wasn't a scene where a vivisected Alpha 5 begs Tommy to kill him because the Machine Empire turned him into a data hub and his life is pain ay yai yai yai yai

SPD executes a dude based on 'strong arm' robbery and the body position shows he was probably shot in the back? gently caress guys, that Officer Wilson was probably an SPD cadet and that dude really DiD show his Hulk Hogan Demon Side.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's why there were radio logs of him going "poo poo. He's not exploding and growing to giant size. poo poo."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't the judges of the Ultimate Courthouse they request authorization from basically omnipotent? I thought that was how it worked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

It's better then Saban's Masked Rider, but that's not saying a whole lot.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I never really understood the capture card thing. Power Rangers have been blowing up monsters for over ten years at that point. It would make more sense in Dekaranger where the monsters were just alien criminals, but the majority of SPD's MOTW were just drawings brought to life.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

JT Smiley posted:

I never really understood the capture card thing. Power Rangers have been blowing up monsters for over ten years at that point. It would make more sense in Dekaranger where the monsters were just alien criminals, but the majority of SPD's MOTW were just drawings brought to life.

There's the :can: of Police Brutality, even with the fantasy backdrop.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just remembered SPD was a Disney season. They even censored Shadow Rangers finishing move.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

I just remembered SPD was a Disney season. They even censored Shadow Rangers finishing move.

Yeah for as bad as censorship could be with Saban, which to be fair they were getting pretty drat lax by Time Force- Disney brought in a whole new draconian wave of bullshit.

Not helped that it was post 9/11 and all that.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Cease and desist letters have been sent. Which is so incredibly stupid, the film makers aren't profiting from Power/Rangers, and it can only generate interest in the upcoming movie (because people are dumb, and will think they are related). Saban are morons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well I'm glad I downloaded a copy yesterday then. Was there any difference between the vimeo version and the YouTube one?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not surprised Sabin continues their lovely monopoly when they sent a C+D to a sentai fan game.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

jivjov posted:

Well I'm glad I downloaded a copy yesterday then. Was there any difference between the vimeo version and the YouTube one?

I heard the vimeo version has boobs when Zack is in bed with the ladies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JT Smiley posted:

I heard the vimeo version has boobs when Zack is in bed with the ladies.

Huh. Well how 'bout that then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jivjov posted:

Big rear end titties

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was with my brother and his kids over the weekend at Toys R Us, and apparently they released a Legacy White Tigerzord at some point. The side of the box has it combined with the saber tooth tiger/triceratops from the Legacy Megazord so I guess that means we're not getting a Legacy Thunderzord?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

Not surprised Sabin continues their lovely monopoly when they sent a C+D to a sentai fan game.

What ever happened to that game? I really wanted to play it :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What ever happened to that game? I really wanted to play it :(

Its still being worked on. Just slowly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

Its still being worked on. Just slowly.

Wait, really? *checks kickstarter* oh hell yeah, hope they reach an April release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, really? *checks kickstarter* oh hell yeah, hope they reach an April release.

Also they update their own forum more often then the Kickstarter page

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

Also they update their own forum more often then the Kickstarter page

I'm at the excitement level where i'd rather just know they didn't go under and a vague release date than any other info. I'm just gonna keep this on the back of my mind until May comes and Chroma Squad is or isn't out.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Burkion posted:

Yeah- though I tend to roll my eyes at times when they are actively NOT killing the monsters they're fighting, SPD made the correct call given what they're supposed to be.

Super Sentai isn't about Judge loving Dredd so they shouldn't share his morality. And unless the Dekaranger villains were WAY more inhuman than the SPD lot, that's pretty hair raising.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Aren't the judges of the Ultimate Courthouse they request authorization from basically omnipotent? I thought that was how it worked.

As far as I remember, the executed criminals in Dekaranger were mass murderers who had already been given their death sentences. The whole 'Judgement Scanner' thing was more about confirming identity than anything else. There's even a few times where the Dekarangers think they've found their MOTW and used the scanner only to find that wasn't the criminal they were looking for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good god, we've been talking about POWER/RANGERS for a solid 45 minutes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Good god, we've been talking about POWER/RANGERS for a solid 45 minutes now.

YEAH WE DID