Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I love the NP and have two but kept an HTPC for my projector as it can change frame rates and the NP can't. There's the whole color thing too. Why did you switch to the NP for your projector?

Yes. I kept the htpc and I'm using it for my office room. I have the office to organise receipts from things I purchased for my office, such as a receipt scanner.

As for the frame rates, I can't tell the difference between between 24hz content being played at 24hz or repeated at 120hz or 60hz. It all looks the same to me, so the NP works perfectly. Besides, my projector has a bug where it can't render side-by-side 3D content properly if its set at 24hz. Setting the display to 60hz fixes the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
Are there any options for setting up a 150" - 180" 16:9 screen that can also be taken down and stored somewhere? Have any of you done this or known someone who did it effectively? I understand that waves and issues will happen more to non-fixed screens, but I've got a 120" 16:9 image on a wall with grey-ish paint that works great and would like to explore options for going larger, even if it's a pain to set up and tear down.

edit: I went ahead and pressed the effort button and found a few items like this. I just can't imagine those screens holding up and staying tight with a lot of set ups/tear downs.

Strike Anywhere fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 11, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
i think your bigger issue may be light output for that size. what is your projector and environment?

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

Aeka 2.0 posted:

i think your bigger issue may be light output for that size. what is your projector and environment?

I've been using an old Dell MP2300. I'm leaning towards getting a Benq down the road. The Dell does well on a 120" diag 16:9 space on the wall, although I honestly have no frame of reference. Movies play in the living room in the evening when it's dark, so light control is not an issue.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Strike Anywhere posted:

I've been using an old Dell MP2300. I'm leaning towards getting a Benq down the road. The Dell does well on a 120" diag 16:9 space on the wall, although I honestly have no frame of reference. Movies play in the living room in the evening when it's dark, so light control is not an issue.

First of all, I applaud your quest for a big-rear end screen.

Second, remember that the amount of light you need depends on screen surface area, and a 180” diagonal screen is more than twice as large as a 120” diagonal screen. Assuming 1.0 gain, here’s how many calibrated lumens you need to light up the screen sizes you mentioned:

120” diagonal: 700 lumens
150” diagonal: 1080 lumens
180” diagonal: 1550 lumens

The W1070/HT1075 will give you about 1800 lumens in Cinema mode at full power with a fresh lamp. If you turn off BrilliantColor, that drops to 1425 lumens. If you use Eco lamp mode, you’re down to 955 lumens. The lamp will reduce in brightness as it ages, so expect to lose 25% of your brightness over the first 1,000 hours, bringing you to 716 lumens.

In other words, without a higher gain screen, 120” diagonal is about where I’d stop on the W1070/HT1075. Either that, or run the projector at full power and be prepared to replace lamps more frequently.

Third, “light control isn’t an issue” is a bunch of crap unless you have dark walls and ceiling. Light from your projector will bounce around the room and kill your contrast ratio. Then again, the W1070/HT1075 is going to look pretty amazing compared to what you’ve currently got going on.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
re: light bouncing.
I've got dark brown walls and a white ceiling (with a 3 foot depth of a black stripe on the ceiling) and I have all kinds of wash out issues. Its pretty nuts on how much you need to do to truly control the bounce. I'm already thinking about expanding the black stripe and getting a bigger rug for my floor, it is tile. It also pisses me off when I've got my poo poo setup better than some theaters. I watched Interstellar with floor lighting bouncing off of the bottom two corners at an "Imax." At least that's what they called it, but it wasn't.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 15, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

re: light bouncing.
I've got dark brown walls and a white ceiling (with a 3 foot depth of a black stripe on the ceiling) and I have all kinds of wash out issues. Its pretty nuts on how much you need to do to truly control the bounce. I'm already thinking about expanding the black stripe and getting a bigger rug for my floor, it is tile. It also pisses me off when I've got my poo poo setup better than some theaters. I watched Interstellar with floor lighting bouncing off of the bottom two corners at an "Imax." At least that's what they called it, but it wasn't.

Interstellar was the first movie ive seen in awhile at the imax, and it sounded like poo poo. Bass didn't have good extension down low, and it was loud but really fatiguing. I can't wait until my review copy bluray gets here and I can let it rip at home.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
pretty cool: dlp inventor wins academy award

http://www.wfaa.com/story/entertain...gital/23652669/

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

Interstellar was the first movie ive seen in awhile at the imax, and it sounded like poo poo. Bass didn't have good extension down low, and it was loud but really fatiguing. I can't wait until my review copy bluray gets here and I can let it rip at home.

Yeah the sound was poo poo. I couldn't tell if it was crushed dynamics or a system that couldn't handle it.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
First, thanks for recommending the Epson VS230 several months ago when I asked about a projector for a roller derby scoreboard. It looks like exactly what we need.

We had a borrowed projector to get us through last season so I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on the VS230. We'll need it pretty soon now and I see that Amazon has it refurbished for about $45 less than new. It's sold by Amazon and I'm assuming (and trying to verify) that it's refurbished by Epson as they sell them on their site too. It looks like it has the same warranty as a new one and all the same included accessories. Would it be a bad idea to get the refurbished one? I figure even if it's been used a little, the $45 savings covers almost half of a replacement bulb. I just know nothing about the quality of refurbished projectors in general. Thanks again.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Unfortunately neither do I. All the projectors I see are new.

I will say that Epson has a reputation for good warranty support, so if you get a bad projector they will be happy to swap it out for you.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Since the Epson warranty has a good reputation and it's being sold by Amazon, we'll give the refurbished one a try. We have a month to play with it before an actual game; that should be enough time to find any major issues. I wish I was buying something more exciting, but I appreciate the help.

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
I've been very happy with my W1070. That is, until yesterday. Suddenly it makes a noticeable whine.

I can tell the noise comes from the color wheel. It's some kind of vibration whose frequency depends on the video signal. At 50Hz the noise is exactly 300Hz. At 60Hz, strangely it slows down to 120Hz. Lower frequencies (30, 25, 24) make much lower-pitched whines, but they don't make it disappear. Those are exact frequencies by the way, I compared them to a tone generator.

The projector has less than 300 "Equivalent lamp hours." The picture quality seems unaffected.

Is this model known to have bad quality bearings on the color wheel? Do you think it's a good idea to blow some compressed air into the vents (with the PJ turned off) to try and dislodge whatever it is that's making the noise? Should I take it back for warranty repair?

Also: if, as I suppose, I'm hearing the rotation of the color wheel, that would make a big case for running this PJ at 50Hz instead of 60.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a way to connect a projector to surround sound without a receiver? Does a projector with optical audio out even exist?

I'm setting up a small home theater for my dad and I'd be bummed out if I need an entire new device to send video to the projector and audio to the system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is there a way to connect a projector to surround sound without a receiver? Does a projector with optical audio out even exist?

I'm setting up a small home theater for my dad and I'd be bummed out if I need an entire new device to send video to the projector and audio to the system.

What kind of audio inputs does his existing receiver/surround system have?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
You don't need audio out from the projector. You need audio out from the source, whatever that happens to be.

But then you need to distribute that audio to a bunch of different speakers, which is what A/V receivers are for. So I won't say that it's impossible, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm sure there are cheap AVRs out there, but audio isn't really my department.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Cross posting with reddit, sorry if you read there too:

One of my roommates is moving out soon and we need to replace his Epson 8350 and screen. The projector is ceiling mounted and about 17-18' away from his 120" screen. We have curtains for the room, but I personally think the image is too dark even at nighttime. A Sony VPL-HW40ES sounds like it would be perfect, but the person buying it would like to spend less money. Would be get a brighter image than the old 8350 at that distance with a sub-$1000 projector? Looking at the calculator for the BenQ HT1075, it looks like it won't even go down to 120" at that distance. Am I missing something or will that one not work? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help! I'm getting a little bogged down in research.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I think the BenQs are short throw projectors. Mine is about 10-11' from the 115" screen. There are screen calculators you can use to see how big a screen you can have at a particular distance. It might be hard to narrow it down to a sub-$1000 projector at the exact distance with the exact size screen you have. If you don't want to spend a lot, get the BenQ and move the projector mount forward.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Are there any new exciting projectors on the horizon to usurp the BenQ W1070/HT1075's throne? I've started to get used the insanely quick product cycles of laptops, mobile phones, etc, but from what I can tell the projector market isn't so fast-moving. Is that true?

lionlegs fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Trillest Parrot posted:

Cross posting with reddit, sorry if you read there too:

One of my roommates is moving out soon and we need to replace his Epson 8350 and screen. The projector is ceiling mounted and about 17-18' away from his 120" screen. We have curtains for the room, but I personally think the image is too dark even at nighttime. A Sony VPL-HW40ES sounds like it would be perfect, but the person buying it would like to spend less money. Would be get a brighter image than the old 8350 at that distance with a sub-$1000 projector? Looking at the calculator for the BenQ HT1075, it looks like it won't even go down to 120" at that distance. Am I missing something or will that one not work? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help! I'm getting a little bogged down in research.

The Epson Home Cinema 3000 will fit those numbers, and it's plenty bright. Might be worth a look.

lionlegs posted:

Are there any new exciting projectors on the horizon to usurp the BenQ W1070/HT1075's throne? I've started to get used the insanely quick product cycles of laptops, mobile phones, etc, but from what I can tell the projector market isn't so fast-moving. Is that true?

Typically, the exciting, fast-moving stuff happens at the top of the market, not the bottom. That's true for other electronics, too -- the exciting stuff is always the new flagship model, not the budget option. It's just that projectors are more expensive than those other things, so even the cheap stuff isn't cheap.

There's lots of exciting things happening in the projector market right now but it's almost all north of $8,000.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Hey guys, looking for a recommendation. Totally cool if this doesn't exist, just thought I'd see where portable projector setups are at:

What's your budget?
$500

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
I'd like a laptop-bag setup (doesn't need to fit in my pocket or anything) that would allow me to pack a projector with my laptop (13" rmpb) and allow me to play movies/games in a dim-to-dark room.

Sources:
PC, laptop, phone, chromecast.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
I don't care/big. I'm looking for something that'd handily beat a laptop screen/ipad for group movie watching while travelling.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

No screen. A portable setup would hopefully give me flexibility of placement.

Assume a power source, no need for batteries/solar/hydro whatever other bullshit.

Stuff I've found:

This looks cool but I can't find a mention of it outside of Amazon. So I don't trust it at all.
http://www.amazon.com/RIF6-CUBE-Pro...=pico+projector

I like the flatter build of this one
http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Proj...table+projector

Oh.. Oh my
http://www.lg.com/ae/projectors/lg-PA1000

Pricey and I really just want the simplest, best picture I can get in the smallest form factor- this one seems to have some wifi features that I don't care at all about. Seems to have great picture and would fit in carry-on, which I could bump up to if the quality improvement were there.

KillerMojo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
If you can afford it, look into the LG PA77U.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I'm looking at a recommendation on a short throw projector purchase. I'm hoping to rear project through a scrim approx. 10' tall by 30' wide, I'll have 15' to work with behind the scrim, closer is better. I'm open to using two projectors to stitch the image together if that's what necessary to make it work. I know the dimensions on this are kinda crazy... is this even possible? This is for VJ work on stage, not home use, so portability is key & it's gotta be bright enough to compete with other lighting. Budget for this is $5-$10,000.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thought you guys would appreciate this video. Shows an artist Tipper, who has the most amazing live visuals I have ever seen in my life. Projection mapped on a 3D stage and its the most mindblowing thing I have ever seen,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSujbZ0T7d0

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
King Hotpants, have you had the chance to review the Sony Ultra Short Throw Projector yet?

It looks insane. I have a hard time believing it's a real thing.

Edit: Oh God the "concept video" is terrible https://www.youtube.com/video/2CZmEx2AqPE

lionlegs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LG did it first.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-hecto-dlp-projector-series/

Probably a tenth of the price, too.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Saw this show up next to the Sony short throw. You can overlay some cheap projectors to make a high lumens large venue projector. Id wonder how sharp and what kind of contrast ratio will result, but this does look like a bitchin' cheap option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U

He also has another video with 4 stacked projectors.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does anyone have any experience with ultra cheap projectors like either of these:

http://amzn.com/B00KQK5LK8
http://amzn.com/B00PNGM8UQ
http://amzn.com/B00QWUPAWK

I know the response will be "they suck", but I'm not looking for anything fancy - just something for the bedroom to get a watchable image of Futurama or Peep Show or whatever to watch while I'm in bed. I'm planning on projecting on the wall. My only worry is that they'll suck so much that I'll be left with a ~75 dollar paperweight after a couple months. It would probably only ever be used with my Amazon Fire stick that is currently collecting dust.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2015

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
I'm looking for a recommendation as I know nothing much about projectors:

What's your budget?
I'd love to be under $500, but I don't even know if that's reasonable or not.

Sports mostly. I'm looking for using this outdoor against the side of the house for burgers/BBQs, that sort of thing.

I don't care. The bigger the better, obviously, but it'll be used against a house or garage. It doesn't have to be perfect quality, I'm just looking for a fun way to watch sports outside on nice days with friends.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
Just the side of my white garage/house. If necessary I wouldn't mind setting up a hang from the side.

Not sure how to answer this, but I'd say no restrictions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You trying to watch during the day or at night?

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned

KillHour posted:

You trying to watch during the day or at night?

It will probably be bright out for most uses. CFL/NFL games, MLB, Hockey playoffs etc. all usually running around 7-10ish PM

I'm trying to learn about Lumens and one site tells me I need at least 3000 for daylight.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

lionlegs posted:

King Hotpants, have you had the chance to review the Sony Ultra Short Throw Projector yet?

It looks insane. I have a hard time believing it's a real thing.

Edit: Oh God the "concept video" is terrible https://www.youtube.com/video/2CZmEx2AqPE

The people who buy these things don't read reviews, so no.

KillHour posted:

LG did it first.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-hecto-dlp-projector-series/

Probably a tenth of the price, too.

The Sony one, at $50K, is 4K native, can go up to 150" diagonal, and includes sound. Still ridiculously expensive, but not the same as the LG. Neither one of these is revolutionary -- they're both just RPTVs without the box, more or less.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Saw this show up next to the Sony short throw. You can overlay some cheap projectors to make a high lumens large venue projector. Id wonder how sharp and what kind of contrast ratio will result, but this does look like a bitchin' cheap option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U

He also has another video with 4 stacked projectors.

Roll-your-own edge blending. This has been a thing for many years, and that's also how you get most passive polarized 3D.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with ultra cheap projectors like either of these:

I know the response will be "they suck", but I'm not looking for anything fancy - just something for the bedroom to get a watchable image of Futurama or Peep Show or whatever to watch while I'm in bed. I'm planning on projecting on the wall. My only worry is that they'll suck so much that I'll be left with a ~75 dollar paperweight after a couple months. It would probably only ever be used with my Amazon Fire stick that is currently collecting dust.

They really are garbage. They're so dim that it's difficult to get a watchable picture out of them at all. Most of them have terrible firmware flaws, some features that flat-out don't work, and the image settings are usually locked, so you have god-awful color (like visibly bad, not just imperfect) and sharpness cranked up to maximum.

Stephen posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation as I know nothing much about projectors:

What's your budget?
I'd love to be under $500, but I don't even know if that's reasonable or not.

Sports mostly. I'm looking for using this outdoor against the side of the house for burgers/BBQs, that sort of thing.

I don't care. The bigger the better, obviously, but it'll be used against a house or garage. It doesn't have to be perfect quality, I'm just looking for a fun way to watch sports outside on nice days with friends.

Just the side of my white garage/house. If necessary I wouldn't mind setting up a hang from the side.

Not sure how to answer this, but I'd say no restrictions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

This isn't really feasible during daylight hours. Sorry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: ^^ drat you!

Stephen posted:

It will probably be bright out for most uses. CFL/NFL games, MLB, Hockey playoffs etc. all usually running around 7-10ish PM

I'm trying to learn about Lumens and one site tells me I need at least 3000 for daylight.

Keep going.

A few definitions to get us started: Lumens is a measure of total light output. Lux (or luminous flux) is a measure of the average amount of light over a given area. So a projector (or any source of light) gives out light measured in lumens and casts light on an object measured in lux. It's this lux rating you care about. Basically, the ambient lux is going to be your "black" level. You can't go darker than that. So you need a MUCH brighter light creating your bright spots to give you a good contrast ratio compared to ambient.

A 100" screen is about 360 sqft. 5000 lumens across 360 sqft is ~150 lux.

An overcast day is ~1000 lux and a sunny day can be 10,000 lux or more (in the shade). Direct sunlight is something stupid like 50,000-100,000 lux.

TL;DR: What you want to do is impractical at best.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 15, 2015

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned

KillHour posted:

Edit: ^^ drat you!

TL;DR: What you want to do is impractical at best.

I was aware I knew little about projectors, but I had no idea just how little.

Thanks again for the help! I'll just pick up a cheap big T.V. then.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

OldSenileGuy posted:

I love projector stacking. Ive currently got a double stack going in my HT. easy way to get a brighter image, and if youre so inclined get a passive 3d image thats far superior to any active 3d solution. stacking does sacrifice a small amount of resolution, as you have to digitally keystone the second projector to get it to align to the first. the loss in negligible when watching a movie.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
Gents.

I'm soon to be a new projector guy, hoping to get a 1070 on advice I've read here.

I'm also hoping to mount it on a tripod (heavy duty bogen with a fluid head, standard shoe) for ease of setup.

My question is, do projectors have a threaded hole on the bottom that will take a tripod mount?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Small portable projectors usually do have a tripod hole, but the W1070 does not.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
I've got a 1080p projector that I've loved for a few years (ViewSonic PJD7820). It's bright enough that it projects onto my white apartment wall with no problem. But I'm moving into a house that does not have a good white wall for projecting, so now I need a screen.

It seems like what I want is a fixed-frame screen (wouldn't be moving it), that is audio-transparent (for good surround sound placement). I am not 100% sure of size requirements yet but 120" or so is about what I've got now and that's all good. What's a good screen for that? My budget can go up to $1k but I'd like to keep it well below that if possible, and I've seen (possibly cheap/lovely?) screens for under $500. Remember that I've been happy on a white wall for a few years. :-)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Frame up your own with wood and then get your own AT material. I have a 135" visual apex screen (500 USD) that I eventually replaced the material with seymour xd, which is hardly noticeable in gain loss from a solid screen, my only complaint is that you can see the direction of the material if that makes sense. The better material is their 4k stuff, but it leaks way more light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Looking to get a projector, just to act as a tv substitute for watching tv, films and playing games off. Plan on streaming from a chromecast if that's important. Just looking to get some answers to see if it's even doable for what I want.

What's your budget?
If the BenQ W1070 is still the recommended introductory projector, I'm fine paying the £500-ish it's going for at the moment.

TV and films off a chromecast, games off a ps3/wii.

Doesn't matter really, as big as it goes I guess. I've got a whole wall free that won't really be used for anything else.

I'll probably get it without a screen to see how it looks, then pick up one on amazon later when I feel like it. I get that the screen is as important as the projector, but I was hoping just something like this would do the job. My walls aren't white, but they are a quite pale yellow, not sure if that's really good enough to manage without a screen even for the initial period. The room is 9'4" (2.84m) wide, dunno if that's too small to cater.

No restrictions, having it as high up on the opposite wall near the ceiling would probably be best if it's mountable like that and if the wires can reach that far.

I've included some pictures of the apartment and some idea of what the light levels look like during the day. In these pictures the blinds are half open, I'd prefer not to have to watch everything in the dark if I can avoid it. Hope I'm not expecting too much.